FONV looks terrible

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:09 am

What are you comparing it with? I think it accompanies all of the latest releases (Bad Company2, Metro 2033, Starcraft 3, Everquest 2, Resident Evil 5) just right. At times I did think the game was boring, but all of a sudden I am surprised or sweetly rewarded for making the right choices. I'm upgrading my video drivers which had a new release the day before the game launched, and now another upgrade is available. I can't wait to try them out! I would say consoles would be a great option, but the 2D Zelda svcked on the Gamecube when you got to the puzzles, and then the second Metroid release was horrible! It was limited to the engine I think. The Geko cave reminded me of Metroid, and OMG was it a beautiful experience, especially in the Golden Geko cliff. I finally retired my feathered iron helmet I got from killing the head-guy in Cottonwood, that guy was a trip! Was his face an actual rendition of him? I thought I was being taught a history lesson or two! :D At moments I wondered if they hired a professional theatrical scripter to design the "Members only" fight in the Luxe'. It was an an unforgettable experience hand fighting 100 barbies in a pink dining room... I could swear that every frame my Nvidia GT card was rendering was part of a masterful fire dance.
Taylah Illies

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:30 pm

I was a modder for OB (2D/3D artist) so I'm pretty familiar with how to create/handle/assess GameBryo assets, heightmaps, etc.

Played/modded OB for over (2) years. Finally ventured in FO3 and I have to admit it was fairly pretty graphically with its enhanced LOD, view distances, and bleak low saturation colors. BGS artists did a good job all around. I could knit-pick but I won't. FONV on the other hand looks like it was designed >10 years ago. Whats with the super low-poly models? Can't detect any vertex shading anywhere and no new assets appear to have baked textures/lighting. Seems to be a HUGE step backward. What gives?
That's the problem with having an eye for detail, yeah I see them also, you can easily make out a poly(even multiple) in many rocks, in fact when you look at the map as a whole the build appears to have been rushed, I've seen several mistakes using copy paste that would make a good modder crindge, makes me crindge, fortunately this has not spoiled my enjoyment of the game, but yeah, it seems they lacked time or motivation for detail, I putting my money on lack of time, being pushed by the publishers to get the game to market, most scene artist I know would want to show their best if given time.
glot

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:36 am

only thing i think looks kinda bad is the ADS on the guns some look ok gun others looks like crap.
Rozlyn Robinson

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 7:28 am

IMHO FONV looks notably better than FO3 on the PS3, though I should probably qualify that statement by saying that FONV does a good job of looking different than it's FO3 predecessor despite the fact that largely the same engine is being used.

As for the PC version, I'm not sure what kind of hardware is being used to render the FONV "time lapse" videos at Eurogamer, but from that standpoint, the game looks very beautiful:

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/fallout-new-vegas-time-lapse-video
Michelle Chau

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:43 am

Huh. I don't notice that much of a difference between New Vegas and Fallout 3 when it comes to graphics. Hell, I think the graphics are better.

Not that I need graphics to be able to enjoy a game.

Word.
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:40 am

I didn't notice a change in graphics in Fallout New Vegas, for the better or worse. Besides the new color pallet.
Greg Swan

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:59 pm

:shrug: What's the difference, and over 10 years ago? This game does not even look as old as Morrowind, although the art style seems slightly more cartoon-ish than Fallout 3's, in my opinion. Does anyone else think that about the art style, just so I know I'm not alone here?
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:57 pm

:shrug: What's the difference, and over 10 years ago? This game does not even look as old as Morrowind, although the art style seems slightly more cartoon-ish than Fallout 3's, in my opinion. Does anyone else think that about the art style, just so I know I'm not alone here?

Cartoon-ish? Not really.
Laura

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:35 am

The engine does need to be retired though.

It does, but it's not going to be. Already confirmed for the new Elder Scrolls. Which is just sad.
Tarka

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:29 am

Grr, If you haven't noticed, the real Fallout 3 (Unreleased), was cartoonish 3D. It was the art style they were choosing, but since Bethesda's failure FO3 was realistic they kind of went the real way more than cartoon.

Do the graphics really matter? Who gives a crap what they are like, the content is alot more important! They nailed the game in ways others have not, how many games have such a deep storyline with so many factions/individuals included giving a lively, believable artificial game world. FONV owned Bethesda's FO3, FO3 was pretty pathetic..
Steven Hardman

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:40 pm

Ahh yes, it looks like 10 year olds made it.

Please direct me to these 10 year olds. I would like them to make me a game. I can pay them in Now and Laters.

I dont think anybody can take you seriously after remarks like that.
Jack Moves

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:26 pm

I didn't really notice any difference at all. Played Fallout 3 on max and playing Fallout New Vegas on max (PC)

To be honest i never really understood why people cry over the graphics so much though... these are certainly not the best when compared to other games that came out this year but damn they ain't horrible to look at.

Besides... generally the better looking the game is the less content the game has.
Juan Cerda

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:25 pm

Cartoon-ish? Not really.

Here are the comparisons I'm making:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Marcus

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Securitron

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Protectron

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Remnants_power_armor

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Enclave_Power_Armor_(Fallout_3)

I am also looking at the geckos, the trees, and the Strip itself. They just seem to follow a different more cartoon-ish art style, to me.
Amie Mccubbing

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:57 am

It does, but it's not going to be. Already confirmed for the new Elder Scrolls. Which is just sad.

Yeah, but they also said they used two years improving it. Can you imagine all the new and glorious bugs it makes possible? :ooo:
Nichola Haynes

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:40 am

And even then, I've seen better.

CRYSIS isnt that bad to run. I have an Alienware with a GeForce GTX 290 Card Dual and Dual 6 GB RAM and it runs perfect on all high graphics. You dont need a supercomputer, just a GOOD one...LOL
Kat Ives

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:33 pm

The only difference graphically between the games is that FNV's sky is better, and i'm on the ps3, so there no modding....

Oh, God, I thought I was alone. I loved the FO3 sky, at least compared to the FO:NV sky. And I'm not saying the sky has to be green. Any color sky will do, if it's done in a pretty way. I just don't dig the sky we have.
Jonathan Egan

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 am

Yeah, but they also said they used two years improving it. Can you imagine all the new and glorious bugs it makes possible? :ooo:

Lmao.
Kit Marsden

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:04 pm

FONV on the other hand looks like it was designed >10 years ago.

I stopped reading after this sentence. Did you even play video games ten years ago?
ZzZz

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:39 pm

the links posted that lead to the wiki with all the images of stuff from FO3 and F:NV, personally the F:NV stuff looks better, and in game the graphic to me look nearly identical. i really have no idea what the first guy is talkign about how the graphics are worse for New Vegas
+++CAZZY

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:19 pm

To the guy who compares 2 different super mutants: that's just it, those are different generation super mutants, bred in 2 different location under 2 different circumstances with 2 different versions of FEV.

As for the rest: anyone complaining about graphics should go back to kindergarden school and look at lovely kiddo drawings or books made for them. Who cares about some slight lack of graphics if the gameplay is above OK? Besides, try make a game as vast and complex as FO3 & FO:NV, strap it in a really nice jacket and have it run smoothly on the highest possible graphic settings without the gameplay suffering from it. My 2 cents...
Eve Booker

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:03 pm

Here are the comparisons I'm making:

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Marcus

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fawkes

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Securitron

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Protectron

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Remnants_power_armor

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Enclave_Power_Armor_(Fallout_3)

I am also looking at the geckos, the trees, and the Strip itself. They just seem to follow a different more cartoon-ish art style, to me.

Nevermind, I see it. It really pronounced in the Super Mutants, but I think they were changed for the better.
XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:09 am

Huh. I don't notice that much of a difference between New Vegas and Fallout 3 when it comes to graphics. Hell, I think the graphics are better.

Not that I need graphics to be able to enjoy a game.

Teghan Harris

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:57 pm

I was a modder for OB (2D/3D artist) so I'm pretty familiar with how to create/handle/assess GameBryo assets, heightmaps, etc.

Played/modded OB for over (2) years. Finally ventured in FO3 and I have to admit it was fairly pretty graphically with its enhanced LOD, view distances, and bleak low saturation colors. BGS artists did a good job all around. I could knit-pick but I won't. FONV on the other hand looks like it was designed >10 years ago. Whats with the super low-poly models? Can't detect any vertex shading anywhere and no new assets appear to have baked textures/lighting. Seems to be a HUGE step backward. What gives?

It was not released for the next-gen they are still currently using existing technology.
jasminε

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:04 am

While almost every mesh and texture was lifted from FO3, some of the landscapes do seem a little cruder and less skillfully put together in FO NV. They did do a better job with certain models like the Super Mutants (save for FO3's Overlord which was awesome - although introduced via a DCL). As a whole I believe whomever did the NPCs was better at constructing a decent face in Facegen - they look better in FO NV.

Considering Gamebryo is a produced by Bethesda and has been used since the development of Oblivion 2001. It isnt very strange that bethesda can do better things with it.

Obsidian had about a year to learn everything about it and produce a game, so ofcourse they couldnt do everything right. Still a fine looking game on ultra settings and high res id say.

Gamebryo is a licensed graphics engine from Emergent Game Technologies. Bethesda is just one of their customers. I doubt Obsidian was totally flying solo on this - considering the engine and all the shared models, textures and meshes there must have been some assistance from Bethesda's design team.
Eilidh Brian

Post » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 pm

Remember the days when gaming was about gameplay and not about graphics? Yeah, they should come back.
WYatt REed

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas