Hidden plot?

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:54 am

That may be the case, though still, I hadn't been aware that Vault-Tec made nuclear weapons, which would be the simplest explanation for a Vault-Tec symbol on the bomb. I actually always wondered about it myself.

As I said, it's not the Vault-Tec symbol. It's only a bit similar.
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:20 am

Let's say it was the Vault-Tec symbol.

From my observations, it almost seems it was added on later. Possibly painted?

My theory is, when the original settlers tried to get into Vault 101 and couldn't, maybe they painted the Vault-Tec symbol on the nuke as an insult? Saying that Vault-Tec was the source of all their problems?

That could explain why it isn't exactly like the "official" symbol.
gary lee

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:50 am

Manya said that megaton was built from the remains of Planes that fell from the sky, (probably due the EM shock wave from the multiple nuclear missile impacts) and that there was ALSO a Ruined Airfield nearby with planes they salvaged
Danial Zachery

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:10 am

From what i've gathered from Manya , my guess is that a plane carrying a Vault-Tec bomb (Destination?) crashed after the nuclear explosion hit DC creating a crater.
Kate Schofield

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:22 pm

Can we just get a pic of said logo? That would provide definite proof, no?
Jade MacSpade

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:31 pm

Whether the logo is vault-tec or not, the bomb is almost certainly American. The bomb is similar to a "fat man" bomb, the likes of which were dropped on Japan. These bombs are carried by aircraft, and theres no way a plane could have made it from China to the US in the two hour duration of the apocalypse.
Neko Jenny

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:00 pm

Whether the logo is vault-tec or not, the bomb is almost certainly American. The bomb is similar to a "fat man" bomb, the likes of which were dropped on Japan. These bombs are carried by aircraft, and theres no way a plane could have made it from China to the US in the two hour duration of the apocalypse.

There are rows and rows of identical bombs stacked on storage racks in the bunker of Fort Bannister I think, or one of the forts anyhow.
All identical in appearance to the Magaton Fatboy.
Chris Johnston

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:12 am

maybe the megaton bomb was accerdently droped by the enclave
Myles

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:13 am

maybe the megaton bomb was accerdently droped by the enclave

The nuke was there long before the Encalve became active in the area.
Liv Brown

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:45 am

There are rows and rows of identical bombs stacked on storage racks in the bunker of Fort Bannister I think, or one of the forts anyhow.
All identical in appearance to the Magaton Fatboy.

I remember seeing that. I had gone in there ready to loot and scoot and found...at least a dozen bombs exactly like the one I'd disarmed in Megaton. Gave me a bit of a turn, definitely. I had chills going.

As for the Megaton bomb's logo, I hadn't really noticed. I rarely go down next to the bomb since I find the preacher from the Church of Atom annoying. I wish he'd get an overdose of rads and die, already. Anything to shut him up.
naome duncan

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:13 pm

Nice theories everyone but there is one thing : ;)

That is simply NOT the Vault-Tec symbol but the good old roundel of the US Air Force :grad:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg
Amber Ably

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:39 am

I thought Megaton was built from scraps from a nearby airport, and not a crashed plane?

you know, i always wondered where that airport is located. didnt see it in-game.
Nienna garcia

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:08 am

No, The Enclave were a group of folks who believed the end was coming one way or another. The US had the last untapped source of oil, and China was spoiling for a fight, not that any other country on earth was happy about the US not sharing.

The Enclave got together to plan what was going to come next. They'd already written off civilisation as we knew it (much less winning the war), and assumed that the whole planet would be a write off. They formed a plan to keep the best and brightest (in their opinion), and their progeny alive. The plan was to move off the planet earth. To achieve this, they created and took control of several organisations (such as Posideon oil). Part of the plan to move off the earth was to run a series of experiments on groupd of people to anticipate what problems may occur in flight, and what they might do about it - The Vault Behavioiural Project. Vault Tec was created to construct and market these vaults to the American population.

The Enclave didnt blow up the planet, per se (although the President would have authorised strikes, etc), the Enclave assumed the end was inevitable.

Wasn't there something about the space option at some point being recognized as flawed and impossible, so The Enclave resorted to the nuclear war/rebuilding society option? If so, it would make some sense they would encourage it in some ways once they were prepared, though I don't think there has been any official mention of it.

As for the logo on the bomb, it's pretty obvious it was a US bomb anyway, which was in a plane or fell from a plane that was scavaged to make Megaton, so it's not a hidden conspiracy. It is interesting Vault-Tec was building bombs though, I hadn't heard of that. As for The Enclave controlling Vault-Tec, I'm pretty sure that would be the case. You wouldn't contract them to do the work they were doing witout having complete control over them, I would think.
rheanna bruining

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 pm

Wasn't there something about the space option at some point being recognized as flawed and impossible, so The Enclave resorted to the nuclear war/rebuilding society option?

I think that decision was made after the bombs dropped IIRC.

you know, i always wondered where that airport is located. didnt see it in-game.

You need to talk to the old lady in Megaton... The Airport is probably the most realistic facility in the game (in the fact that its no longer possible to work out where it is due to the sands of time (erosion, etc).
Wanda Maximoff

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:30 am

I remember reading that the bomb came from a crashed plane that went down, probably from an EMP
Amy Cooper

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:30 am

It is interesting Vault-Tec was building bombs though, I hadn't heard of that.

Yes because they didnt. Thats definitely the USAF roundel on the bomb and not the Vault-tec symbol.

They have some resemblance though- ;-)

This is the Vault-Tec symbol

[img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/f/f7/Vault_Tec_Logo_%28clean%29.png[/img]

This is the USAF roundel

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg/650px-Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg.png[/img]

EDIT : Why cant pictures be displayed in this forum ? I can see them when writing my post but as soon as i ehhmmm "post" my post i can only see those stupid links in the img brackets.

Or am i the only one who cant see the pictures ? :blink:
Sabrina garzotto

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:47 am

Ok, so its the USAF symbol...

Why they hell is the US bombing their own turf?

ANOTHER CONSPIRACY
Yung Prince

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:46 am

Yes because they didnt. Thats definitely the USAF roundel on the bomb and not the Vault-tec symbol.

They have some resemblance though- ;-)

This is the Vault-Tec symbol

[img]http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/f/f7/Vault_Tec_Logo_%28clean%29.png[/img]

This is the USAF roundel

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/10/Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg/650px-Roundel_of_the_USAF.svg.png[/img]

EDIT : Why cant pictures be displayed in this forum ? I can see them when writing my post but as soon as i ehhmmm "post" my post i can only see those stupid links in the img brackets.

long time ago, in this forum... a great man posted a porm image. So the Moderators, removed our ability to post images... for the greater good.
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:29 pm

ANOTHER CONSPIRACY

Plane went down, probably from an EMP.
le GraiN

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:23 am

long time ago, in this forum... a great man posted a porm image. So the Moderators, removed our ability to post images... for the greater good.

Uh,....ok :blink: Strange decision....but ok..somehow. :blink:

ANOTHER CONSPIRACY

Plane went down, probably from an EMP.

Yeah, or maybe it was knocked out of sky by the blast. The bomb was not dropped, it came down along with the bomber that was carrying it.

That old woman from Megaton gives a hint to the plane crash when you ask her about the history of Megaton.

She says "People think the bomb made the crater but it didnt" as she witnessed the construction of Megaton and therefore also how parts of that bomber where used as first building material. All other plane parts came from a now dissappeard nearby airstrip she also mentions.

Thats propably why the bigger plane parts seem to have come from a civil passenger plane. There bomber itself propably broke into thousand pieces at impact.
Sarah MacLeod

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:29 am

ANOTHER CONSPIRACY

I think MercyfulFate is right, a US plane was hit and lost it's payload on the way down. This could also explain why it didn't explode, while it may have been armed it wasn't actually launched so it was never set to go off (nuclear weapons are generally set to explode above their target to maximize the effect, rather than to explode on impact).

Reaver4567 is half right. After considerable abuses (trolling, flaming, inappropriate posts/pictures) we closed our OT forum, General Discussion, in September 02. This was initially done as a temporary measure. A group of people responded to this with a massive, protracted spam attack that involved posting pormography all over the place. This helped convince the admin to keep GD closed, and it also resulted in the image tag being disabled. ~18 months later we opened Community Discussion, but we didn't see a pressing need to bring the image tag back when they can be just as easily linked to and then people have some choice in what they want to load.
flora

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:10 am

ANOTHER CONSPIRACY

Actually, not to sound harsh here, but I would not put it past any government to the idea of bombing on our/their own soil as a last act of desperation - if half the US were truely conquered by a foreign army, and that army was killing and enslaving Americans by the thousands, I doubt there is Any weapon in the arsenal that would be off limits.

Example from populate fiction: Tom Clansey's movie, "Sum of All Fears" starts-off with the idea that Isreal launched an F-4 with a Nuke attached in the event that their ground forces would were over-run - i.e. dropping a bomb on the edges of their own soil to prevent total invasion.

Example from non-ficiton; WWII: Winston Churchill once even pushed the idea of using Poison Gas on the Germans to stop them, but Eisenhower blocked that emphatically. The idea of using horrific weapons, even close to home or on home soil, is entirely a matter of perspective.

I think under-estimating the human ability to do Anything to survive makes this scenario not only possible, but very likely in an all-out invasion sense. If we were ever invaded by China or another super-power, I would be Demanding they use tactical nuke's to stop it - and I'm sure no one would be complaining if that really happened and our entire nation was at risk of going down.

Humanity is dark, get used it it. ;)

M
Brooke Turner

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:13 pm

Reaver4567 is half right. After considerable abuses (trolling, flaming, inappropriate posts/pictures) we closed our OT forum, General Discussion, in September 02. This was initially done as a temporary measure. A group of people responded to this with a massive, protracted spam attack that involved posting pormography all over the place. This helped convince the admin to keep GD closed, and it also resulted in the image tag being disabled. ~18 months later we opened Community Discussion, but we didn't see a pressing need to bring the image tag back when they can be just as easily linked to and then people have some choice in what they want to load.

Uh, ok. That explains it.

Example from non-ficiton; WWII: Winston Churchill once even pushed the idea of using Poison Gas on the Germans to stop them, but Eisenhower blocked that emphatically. The idea of using horrific weapons, even close to home or on home soil, is entirely a matter of perspective.

Ive read about that. The irony is that neither Churchill nor the british intelligence services had the slightest idea what this would had unleashed as the germans had already discovered the secrets of nerve agents at that point.

German chemist professor Gerhard Schrader accidently created the nerve agent named "Tabun" in 1936 while actually searching for a more effective insecticide. With putting more research into this field he discovered a nerve agent he initially named Trilon-46. It was later renamed to "Sarin". Sarin is about 500 times more poisenous than cyanide. Thats the stuff which that sect used in the terror attack on the Tokyo metro in the 90's.

A blistering agent attack with mustard gas or phosgene with a few thousand deaths would had triggered a retaliation strike on Britain with propably hundreds of thousands of deaths. Not just because of the immense toxicity but also because gasmasks alone are useless against nerve agents as they also enter the body through simple skin contact. (Death within 2 minutes after skin contact or under 60 seconds if inhaled)

A third one called "Soman" was discovered in 1944 by chemist Richard Kuhn and 30.000 tons of Tabun had been produced until the end of the war. Hitler issued a strict order only to use it if the allies would use chemical weapons first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gerhard_Schrader

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tabun_(nerve_agent)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soman
Sarah Kim

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:00 pm

A third one called "Soman" was discovered in 1944 by chemist Richard Kuhn and 30.000 tons of Tabun had been produced until the end of the war. Hitler issued a strict order only to use it if the allies would use chemical weapons first.

Sounds like Hitler was a decent chap after all!

Apart from the... you know... genocide...
Baby K(:

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:53 am

In dialogue with the old lady, whos name I forget, she mentions Megaton was built from the crashed airplane that contained the bomb. She goes on, after you mention there is more material in megaton than what could come from one plane, to say they scav'd more airplane parts from a nearby airfield. I am pretty sure I remember this correctly.
Ronald

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion