How "Digital" re You?

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:59 pm

Another Luddite here... No social media accounts, no smart phone, in fact, I don't have a cell phone at all. I do not have any digital devices that I carry with me at all. Of course, I am retired, don't have many appointments, so, have no real need of anything of that nature........ I spend time on various forums, play a selection of games on my PC, and that's about it.

Jesus Lopez

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:41 pm

I think there is too much choice. If I want to watch a film, I seem to spend hours browsing

and not finding anything. Should I watch something new or should watch something I have

watched before.I bought a touch screen phone, but I have never worked out to use the zoom

on the camera. I prefer my earlier generation phone which fits in my pocket and goes everywhere

with me.

I used to use a SLR camera and now have a DSLR one, I bought it because of the limitations of

a digital camera I owned. I find myself at the start of a new learning curve.

Tessa Mullins

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:02 pm

I had to laugh a bit. "I am not digital but stick with my CDs" LMFAO. I thought the digital age at least in music started with CDs :P

sally coker

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:17 pm

Definitely a crossover period as CDs had digital and/or anolog recordings on them. The CDs may have been digital, but the recordings were not always so :)

Veronica Flores

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:24 pm

VHS! VHS! VHS!

Superior to DVDs in so many ways :twirl:

Teghan Harris

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:51 pm

I hated VHS: bloody tracking. Bloody Macrovision. Bloody unrewound tapes. etc. It wasn't even a very good videotape format, the much maligned Betamax and V2000 supposedly being superior.
Kitana Lucas

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:46 am

Still, no pixels, no permanent skipping if damaged, no menus, no parts where you couldn′t fast forward the ads. And I never did mind having to rewind.

DVDs are so restrictive to me. But those that aren′t abused with unskipable menus and ads are fine.

Roisan Sweeney

Post » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:26 am

Oh, yeah, I have to agree with the unskippable bits. Probably the biggest gripe I have about digital technology is the publishers' habit of misusing it.
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:06 am

Yeah, and I have to admit that′s the fault of the publishers, not really the media itself.

ShOrty

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:13 pm

What I dislike most about the unskippable menus is that some of them can contain mild spoilers. I hate sitting through scenes that reveal what's going to happen before I even watch the movie.

But even if they aren't spoilers I still want to see those scenes in their proper context. I don't want scenes taken out of context and cobbled together into some fancy presentation for the sole purpose of showing off. Just give me the damn menu options already and let me get to the movie I paid for, damn it. *pounds desk*

le GraiN

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:56 pm

Would be nice to be tracked for advertising purposes on Facebook. :shrug:
Avril Louise

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:08 pm

I'm Gen Z, or whatever people call us, so digital has just always been. Never had to make a jump.

My Mom has a picture of me falling asleep on the keyboard when I was three or so. The latest batch of this generation is even more digital. Babies are playing with iPads and the like.

I was probably in the last group of kids to have vhs for a brief period during the end of the transition.
louise fortin

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 4:35 pm

Yeah, I think we still fit in the "Millenial" group but barely. I was born in '83 so I actually had VHS for a decent amount of time before DVDs became a thing. Lol, does anybody remember those huge Laser Discs?
sas

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:38 pm

I once got a salesman to put on a laser disc of The Draughtsman's Contract in a shop, watched the entire film and then walked out without buying anything. I know, I'm evil...

The film did terrific though.?

There is NO WAY I would ever go back to VHS, for all the reasons others have mentioned. I don't mind menus in DVD's and you can just fast forward through any ads. Plus it's great to be able to choose language and subtitles. The picture quality is far better.

I really don't miss audio cassette or vinyl either with all the attendant wear and tear. Gatefold sleeves with artwork and lyrics you don't need a magnifier to read is all I miss really. I wish they had kept those but with CDs instead - instead we got those crappy plastic cases that always break.
Tamara Primo

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:45 pm

Yes! In fact I still have a working LaserDisc player and about thirty discs. Among my prized possessions is a copy of the original 1993 Definitive Collection of the Star Wars trilogy. That copy of A New Hope is as close to the version I saw in theaters in 1977 as it is possible to get.

maria Dwyer

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:49 pm

They used laser disc back in elementary or middle school with the light pen.
WYatt REed

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:56 pm

Edit: Nevermind

Kim Kay

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:56 am

Ancient.
xemmybx

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:31 pm

I've been fully "digitized" since I was about 8 years old. Using computers (beyond using school computers), taking apart and re-assembling electronics, programming, etc. started around then. Since then, I've always been just as comfortable doing things with a computer as I am doing things using non-digital media. I'm 40 now, and I'm more "digital" than ever. Once exception is doing sketches...I'm comfortable with digital art/illustration software, but I still like to do drawings using pencils as stress relief.

Robyn Lena

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:43 pm

Yeah, I remember them. A friend was a huge film buff (well, he still is) and was one of the few people I knew who owned one. I worked for Philips at the time so I was vaguely aware of their presence anyway; I recall they also tried to market a CD sized Laserdisc but I seem to recall its capacity was tiny. Enough to be the video equivalent of a CD single, perhaps, but with maybe 20 minutes' worth of storage it was impractical for anything more substantial.
brenden casey

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:03 pm

I'm generally comfortable with technology, but 3D modelling is where I draw the line! I think I managed to make a teapot once, but that was as far as I got! :)

I'm 'early majority' in most contexts - I'm not one of those people who's the first to own whatever iphone, and I tend to replace things only when they wear out (so I'm still using an xbox 360 and non-HD TV) - but that's more a money thing than tech aversion. I have a mid-range smartphone, cheap tablet, etc. and obviously a gaming PC.

In terms of what I can do, I have written some scripts for Morrowind, usually with help, and dabbled a bit with Perl a few years ago, also with help.

What does that make me? Stage 1 nerd? :P
Kate Norris

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:57 pm

As fully "computerfied" as I am, I limit my kid's (about to turn 3) time with computers, tablets, TV, etc. There will be plenty of time to learn about technology later...I want to develop mastery and appreciation for the real world first. Like I said, I didn't start until I was 8, and it didn't inhibit my ability to master technology in the slightest. Of course parenting styles vary and there is little right or wrong (or judgement of other parents from my end). That's just a choice that we've made.

Yep. My family never had a laser disc player, but I knew people that had one.

Most people I know that are really into technology (engineers and the like) aren't early adopters either, and almost none of them are "Apple people." I think that folks that are really tuned in to technology know that early iterations of electronics products are likely to be buggy, and many also enjoy tinkering with devices too much to enjoy Apple's products. That's not a dig on Apple, by the way...it's no secret that they don't make products with tinkering (or many choices or ability to customize at all) in mind.

And for what it's worth, I think you're at least Stage 2 or Stage 3. You could still pull out of it, but it becomes less likely by the day. You're probably a goner.

Sasha Brown

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 5:42 pm

But your name also says "Digital", yes? :lol:

I remember Laser Discs. One of my friends had a player and a good collection of discs. I'm so jealous, Shelly! What I wouldn't give for a good copy of the Star Wars original trilogy! (sans all the fiddling about (aka "improvements") with them)

One thing I appreciate about not having a cell phone is not being reachable 100% of the time. There are times I just want to be alone, just like Greta Garbo :)

FLYBOYLEAK

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:13 pm

That's what the "ignore" button and "do not disturb" mode are for, I think. I do carry a cell phone, but I probably answer about 10% of incoming calls ( :evil:), and I read/respond to text messages when I'm damn well good and ready. ;) I just tell people up-front that the fact that I carry a cell phone doesn't mean I'm going to answer it, and it works out fine. I find that if people know what to expect nobody gets irritated. I mean, they can't prove that I intentionally ignored their call anyway.

Sebrina Johnstone

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:19 am

I like digital copies of things, but that's the thing. I want to have the actual copy of it on my PC or Xbox. I don't want an "online service" where I get to enjoy it online, unless it is something I ain't gonna use commonly (such as watching an animation on Youtube).

Phillip Hamilton

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games