How do you think, dialogues quality in Skyrim will be better

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:22 pm

In addition to perhaps some more darker-themed (or 'advlt') dialogue, I'd like to see something akin to the conversation wheel in the Mass Effect series. Those conversations were really smooth and flowed really well, even when your character would interrupt an NPC in mid-sentence.
Juanita Hernandez

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:52 am

I mainly mean more complex and deeper dialogues. Maybe Planescape: Tornment and many great scif-fi/fantasy novels (1984, Solaris, LotR, Witcher, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc) will be better example.
But not without other advlt stuff, thats for sure.

A Song of Fire and Ice influences would be great, and inevitable considering Skyrim's setting (sounds like the North... even the trailers have the same feel!).

The Orc bookseller in Leyawinn used goddam once. Quite suprising! But really awkward as well =P .
Stryke Force

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:23 pm

With all respect to developers and their skill in writing lore, I dont think they can reach VTMB level - one of the best dialogues in video game. Still there's room for improvement and I think writing should go in direction of better but faithfull to series "feel", no reason to be more "advlt", instead I would prefer to have more "immersive" lines.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:03 am

dialogue will be better, but as for advlt language. its set in ancient times, i doubt whether your local guard is going to be cursing at everyone.

fallout was set in the 1950's era, swearing was a given then.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:41 am

dialogue will be better, but as for advlt language. its set in ancient times, i doubt whether your local guard is going to be cursing at everyone.

fallout was set in the 1950's era, swearing was a given then.

N'wah!
Lizzie

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:27 am

It's always better to be pessimistic about these kind of things...you either get the satisfaction of being right or pleasantly surprised.
Brad Johnson

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:28 am

If "advlt" means random swearing and foul language then no I don't want that. I wouldn't call that advlt behavior to begin with. As others said native curses are different, but not over the top.

I don't think the dialog was that bad in Oblivion. There were just a few strange instances like beggars randomly using normal speech or outright changing voice actors mid conversation.
Ymani Hood

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:52 am

How do you think, dialogues quality in Skyrim will be better than in Fallout 3 and Oblivion?

[Intelligence] So you're asking if dialogue will be better in Skyrim? :P

I don't really care to be honest, as long as the dialogue is somewhat intelligent and conveys the meaning clearly. And doesn't have excessive swearing. The Fiends in New Vegas for example, my gun starts shooting by itself when i hear the dialogue in Vault 3 :shrug:
louise hamilton

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:10 am

Well i know dialogue will be better than in oblivion, as oblivion has the worst dialog in the gaming history. I still cant even understand how they could make such as poor dialogue.

Fallout 3`s dialogue was huge improvement over oblivion, but still it could been a lot better. I actally hope that they remove all voiced speech and replace them with "walls of text" as its a lot faster to gain information from text, than waiting 10 years to somebody to say something.

Good morning, good bye, bartering speeces should and could be voiced, but others simply the text, execpt maybe main characters could be fully voiced.
Kat Ives

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:10 am

Fallout 3 - level quality would be about what to expect. Not great, but a considerable improvement over Oblivion: actual lines of dialogue rather than topics, and the potential for different responses, as well as better-written NPC dialogue.
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:41 am

Well i know dialogue will be better than in oblivion, as oblivion has the worst dialog in the gaming history. I still cant even understand how they could make such as poor dialogue.

Fallout 3`s dialogue was huge improvement over oblivion, but still it could been a lot better. I actally hope that they remove all voiced speech and replace them with "walls of text" as its a lot faster to gain information from text, than waiting 10 years to somebody to say something.

Good morning, good bye, bartering speeces should and could be voiced, but others simply the text, execpt maybe main characters could be fully voiced.

Oh goodness no! There are dozens of games with worse dialog. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAtC1SzWSXg
Lou

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:11 am

Fallout 3 - level quality would be about what to expect. Not great, but a considerable improvement over Oblivion: actual lines of dialogue rather than topics, and the potential for different responses, as well as better-written NPC dialogue.

Well I expect fallout 3 level quality but of course I want better :wink_smile:
hannah sillery

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:27 pm

The ability to get drunk off of beer and stuff would open up drunken speech options.

One beer and you're a classy smooth talker. As you go you get progressively worse until you'r only options are bizarre sayings and slurred speech.
Katie Louise Ingram

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:43 am

A Song of Fire and Ice influences would be great, and inevitable considering Skyrim's setting (sounds like the North... even the trailers have the same feel!).

The Orc bookseller in Leyawinn used goddam once. Quite suprising! But really awkward as well =P .

Ugok's got a book store! Ugok's a sissy scroll scribbler!
jeremey wisor

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:44 am

I am fully expecting drunken, cursing Nords and the occasional barfight.
Abi Emily

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:18 pm

Copy-pasted from a friend of mine over at Canadian Ice's forums:

"I saw a mudcrab down by the water the other day. Nasty creatures."
"I've heard others say the same."
"What's the news from the other parts of Tamriel?"
"Nothing I'd like to talk about."
"Bye."

^ That is an example of the dialogue I absolutely DO NOT want to see in Skyrim. I'm really hoping for believable conversations.

Also, notice for all voice actors for the upcoming game: EMOTE, DAMMIT! If there aren't many of you doing voice work, at least give us the illusion that it isn't the same person voicing 50 people. For the love of the all that is good about Elder Scrolls don't make it like Oblivion where everyone sounded the same.
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:55 am

Dialogue quality could improve, but I'm under the impression it may stay the same. I think Bethesda is going to focus on improving other areas for this installment.
mollypop

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:25 am

I want to hear my character speak and talk like in Mass Effect. Dialogue options are best when accompanied by verbal responses. Breaks immersion when my character doesn't speak during a conversation. I also would like to hear him mutter something out of random, like when I'm exploring he says to himself.."what a nice day" or "oh [censored]" when he sees a pack of wolves..
jessica sonny

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:55 am

I want to hear my character speak and talk like in Mass Effect.

No. when you have a voice actor for the player character he or she is no longer your character. I could never play Mass Effect with male shepard due to the voice acting.

In fact, i'd prefer if RPGs went back to text only dialogue. You could have MUCH more MUCH better dialogue that way. Not gonna happen, but a man can dream...
luis ortiz

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:34 am

Hopefully better, it couldn't get worse...
Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:31 am

The pessimist in me says that Beth's writing team will never learn.

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Have you seen him?
Elisabete Gaspar

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:54 am

"I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Have you seen him?

I am Three Dog, and I fight the good fight from my radio station right here.
[Intelligence] So you fight the good fight with your voice?
Heather M

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:15 pm

I just hope they make speech a little more natural. I mean the huge face zoom with the deathly blank stare straight into your very soul look was present in Oblivion, and Fallout 3 and I'd assume New Vegas as well.

They just really need to get it to look more natural. Maybe have a mid shot so we can see their arms, perhaps then they could use hand gestures or just move a little more while they talk. As opposed to being completely board rigid.

It'd be nice to not freeze all the action around you too while you talk.
Honey Suckle

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:18 am

I hope the advlt content is limited. Putting in excesive language just to give it an advlt feel isn't needed and would take away from the game. advlt language, only if it furthers the story or fits the character.

I have no doubt the quality of the dialogue will be the same or better than both Fallout 3 and Oblivion, I only hope the dialogue system that we use is improved. More choices and consequences for those choices.
Mark Churchman

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:55 pm

No. when you have a voice actor for the player character he or she is no longer your character. I could never play Mass Effect with male shepard due to the voice acting.

In fact, i'd prefer if RPGs went back to text only dialogue. You could have MUCH more MUCH better dialogue that way. Not gonna happen, but a man can dream...

Wth? It's still my character it just has a voice. Too bad for you, I found it much better and a lot cooler.

Then go back and play Morrowind and Oblivion for the rest of your life, games need to evolve not remain stagnant.
Far'ed K.G.h.m

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim