Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:42 am

What we may expect and why.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:24 pm

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3117/clavicus2.jpg :P
Noraima Vega

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:07 am

I hope we will use Oblivion's "Topic system"
That way I can imagine what my character says while still getting a proper response. :)
Michael Russ

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:02 pm

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/3117/clavicus2.jpg :P

Jesus, that is horrifying.
Facebook me

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:15 pm

I cant see why they would make it any worse than it was before. Probably something like in Fallout 3 but certain voices for certain races only.
Elea Rossi

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:15 am

What do you mean "better than in fallout 3 and oblivion"

Fallout 3 was already way better than oblivion, at least there was dialog (instead of just picking a word and having the NPC talk about it). I'd say it will be better than Oblivion and about the same as Fallout 3.
His Bella

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:51 am

Jesus, that is horrifying.

And yet better than the dialogue in the previous ES games!
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:32 am

"advlt dialogues?"
Fanny Rouyé

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:28 am

What do you mean "better than in fallout 3 and oblivion"

Fallout 3 was already way better than oblivion, at least there was dialog (instead of just picking a word and having the NPC talk about it). I'd say it will be better than Oblivion and about the same as Fallout 3.

Fallout 3 reply choice system was improved, yes, but I'm talking about dialogues themselves. I dont see much difference in them between Oblivion and F3.

"advlt dialogues?"

I feel myself like a kid when playing in Oblivion. Hoping to see VTM:Bloodlines and Witcher quality in next TES game.
Alba Casas

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:47 am

"advlt dialogues?"

"Have you seen a [censored] today? Nasty little creatures."
No Name

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:58 am

the system or the writing?

the writing in Oblivion was more or less identical to the writing in Morrowind - the only problems were the dialogue system being weird and there being full voice acting for a ton of dialogue written in a style that didn't complement full voice acting. Fallout 3 got it a lot better, and i'm hoping quality-wise it'll be more along the lines of Fallout 3, though with considerably fewer expletives.

Spoiler
SEEN ANY ELVES? AHAHAHAHAHA.

system-wise, i'd be fine with the topic system from Oblivion, as long as asking for rumors actually resulted in people telling you rumors and not about the local geography. dialogue choices would be neat too. ideally they'd reincorporate the different ways of asking the same question that Daggerfall had, but that's assuming the game has a lot of writing and NPCs~

I feel myself like a kid when playing in Oblivion. Hoping to see VTM:Bloodlines and Witcher quality in next TES game.

yeah, "your mother svcks dwarf [censored]" is great writing.
Poetic Vice

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:49 am

I've been wondering about this for a while actually. Given the higher age rating on the game... does that mean the Real Barenziah will be uncensored again?
Claire Lynham

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:49 am

If you feel like a kid playing Oblivion because of the dialogue, then you probably are. There's no need to have people in Skyrim talk like your friends using "sh*t" and "[censored]" every two seconds: you have Call of Duty for that
Rebecca Dosch

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:31 am

When did people start swearing in TES? I've never seen/heard an NPC swear in TES, except for native words like "N'wah".
Normal swearing as we know it won't fit IMO, I want them to use thair native swearing words. They did in earlier TES games, and they also did that in the Infernal City.

So I'd like to keep swearing like we're used to in our world out of the world of TES.
Zualett

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Fallout 3 reply choice system was improved, yes, but I'm talking about dialogues themselves. I dont see much difference in them between Oblivion and F3.

"I [censored] a she-elf once"

Though lines like that from The Witcher are amusing, they can stay in the Witcher.

The elder scrolls has it's own colorful vocabulary, and I think it would break some immersion if they were shovie in too much 'advlt' stuff.

And the older, more 'advlt' I become, the less interested I am in hearing any of it. So, I really don't think this sort of thing is very advlt to begin with.

I think The Elder scrolls games have an appropriate amount of mature things.. a little Lusty argonian maid never hurt anyone. But, I don't think I'd be comfortable with it if there was any more.

Anyway, Although i would tweak some things, add some more choices, and change the god-awful camera angle and stare-downs you get in a conversation, I thought Oblivion did a good job of it. And as far as advlt content goes I think the game should be T-rate, just like Morrowind and Oblivion were. (Say what you will, but the letter on my Oblivion box is still a T.)
Daddy Cool!

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:20 am

I'm pretty sure there are a few swear words in Oblivion.

Anyway, I'd like the dialogue to be more along the lines of Fallout 3 than Oblivion, and I'd like it to be more advlt.

No no, by advlt I don't mean more swearing and more provocative. (People that swear every other word sound like kids anyway.. it detracts from sounding advlt.)

What I mean is, Oblivion did have a very kiddish feel to it's dialogue. For example, when joining the Arena and Owyn says " Look at you, my granny could beat you, and she's dead!"
... That just seems so kiddish to me it's not even funny. Maybe change it to something like " You must be joking.. you don't even look like you could lift a sword, let alone fight with one.."

So I don't want swear words scattered all over the place, I just want the dialogue to be written so that when someone says something, it sounds like something an advlt would actually say.
Rhi Edwards

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:07 am

i really don't care all that much, i just hope the have more than 14 people's voices for the hundred's of people in the game
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:07 am

i really don't care all that much, i just hope the have more than 14 people's voices for the hundred's of people in the game

THIS!
Jason King

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 am

There were 14 voice actors for Oblivion? Seems like a high number.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:39 am

First of all, as long as they don't do the weird facial zoom, should be alright.

Second of all, I think Morrowind and even Oblivion used "TV" swear words" like "Hell," "damn," and "ass."
cassy

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 7:31 am

Anyway, I'd like the dialogue to be more along the lines of Fallout 3 than Oblivion, and I'd like it to be more advlt.

No no, by advlt I don't mean more swearing and more provocative. (People that swear every other word sound like kids anyway.. it detracts from sounding advlt.)

What I mean is, Oblivion did have a very kiddish feel to it's dialogue. For example, when joining the Arena and Owyn says " Look at you, my granny could beat you, and she's dead!"
... That just seems so kiddish to me it's not even funny. Maybe change it to something like " You must be joking.. you don't even look like you could lift a sword, let alone fight with one.."

So I don't want swear words scattered all over the place, I just want the dialogue to be written so that when someone says something, it sounds like something an advlt would actually say.

Meh - there are plenty of characters in Oblivion who would have said the less-childish thing, but that's part of actually made Owyn an interesting character (and one of my favorite Oblivion NPCs).

I've known plenty of advlts in real-life who talk in this 'childish' manner. There are all kinds of different folks. I feel like it's only fair that that be present in the games too, I don't want all of the hundreds of NPCs to be humorless, gritty [censored]s.
Michelle Chau

Post » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:50 pm

This. I also like the idea of them swearing only according to their own ways.
Amie Mccubbing

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:05 am

I totally agree. :tops:
Guys, it's not about swearing just to sound "cool", it's about having (overall) mature, darker tone in writing and setting, in which swearing sometimes occur.
Soph

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:47 pm

If you feel like a kid playing Oblivion because of the dialogue, then you probably are. There's no need to have people in Skyrim talk like your friends using "sh*t" and "[censored]" every two seconds: you have Call of Duty for that

I mainly mean more complex and deeper dialogues. Maybe Planescape: Tornment and many great scif-fi/fantasy novels (1984, Solaris, LotR, Witcher, A Song of Ice and Fire, etc) will be better example.
But not without other advlt stuff, thats for sure.
Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 pm

Having deeper, and more complex dialogue would be great, but I still prefer native swear words in the dialogues.
Thomas LEON

Next

Return to V - Skyrim