Major bugs caused by v1.5 Thread 2

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:19 am

And you did roll back to 1.4 or previous, load the save, wait for four days, all the stuff I mentioned?

Yep, 1.4 patch, loaded my last good save prior to 1.5 installation, coc to qacell, waited for 96 hours, saved, patched, loaded, waited 96 hours, saved, coced back to wasteland, etc :(

I'm wanting an easy fix as much as everyone else, but It doesn't look like we're going to get one...
Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:38 am

That's an easy step to miss, isn't it, because it's kinda a pain in the ass.
Don't tell me, I just had to reinstall since I managed to somehow remove bsa files I should not have. But leaving that out defeats the purpose of the experiment. I'll try to make a backup of the Fallout 3 directory tomorrow and try it myself, if there ain't a few people who'll do it today. ^_^

€: Alright, then it does not seem to work for one guy. Geez, gonna disappoint some people now. Sweet suffering. :hehe:
Maria Leon

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:01 pm

No surprise there, I don't think any of those are adding items, they look to be mostly gameplay effects. What is really going to be impacted are mods that add quests/storylines, as many of those add new locations/NPC's/etc.

Yeah and painfully too.

For those of us working on level-design mods, where we add tons of items (both static and non) and effectively build-up new parts of the world to explore - it leaves little option.

Too many objects to make persistent, too much work Not to convert it to .esm if that is what is required in the end.

Yep I hate it, but all things considered, I am as thankful and appreciative of Bethesda today as I was on December 18 when I downloaded the GECK. We just got v1.5 with lots of fixes, and I already like it. This bug will make my life harder now, but I am also sure that no one at Bethesda Meant for us to suffer. Its unfortunate, but I don't want the Bethesda folks to feel like crap after just putting in alot of hours for a new patch and new GECK.

The bug svcks, the new features and stability are GREAT, and this is really nobody's fault. I'm just as guilty as everyone else for going-off with the flame thrower (though I quickly recanted/erased it), I should have been more thoughtful of the big picture.

I have modding to do, and will patiently hope for the best on this.

M
Bethany Short

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:30 pm

why we don't send a letter to bethesda to let them know we want a fix/better/new patch?
Fanny Rouyé

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:49 am

why we don't send a letter to bethesda to let them know we want a fix/better/new patch?
Forums exist so you shouldn't have to.
RUby DIaz

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:43 am

I'm afraid to get Broken Steel because I don't know if it will break my game worse then the patch lol!
Zosia Cetnar

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:53 am

I'm afraid to get Broken Steel because I don't know if it will break my game worse then the patch lol!
Well, at the current point, you can't even buy it, so do not worry about this. ^_^
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 9:45 am

Forums exist so you shouldn't have to.

but it seems bethesda doesn't is looking at us. its just a guess, maybe they are working at a new patch maybe not. but why the can't tell us something? that's why i want to send a letter. :wub:
loste juliana

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:03 am

but it seems bethesda doesn't is looking at us. its just a guess, maybe they are working at a new patch maybe not. but why the can't tell us something? that's why i want to send a letter. :wub:

But they do, the moderator said specifically that they were forwarding the thread to the dev team - like 2 days ago?

Its going to take some time before they have a plan

M
JD bernal

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:10 am

But they do, the moderator said specifically that they were forwarding the thread to the dev team - like 2 days ago?

Its going to take some time before they have a plan

M

Oh, they have been watching this thread VERY closely. I have seen 4 developers and several moderators in these threads several times a day.
k a t e

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:49 am

Maybe they're laughing at us? :P
quinnnn

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:45 am

I thinks it's more likely they are watching to see if our slew of genius modders are developing a viable workaround so they don't have to.
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:01 am

I find it likely that Beth will find a way to address this problem with the 1.5 patch, the entire purpose of them releasing a CS is because their latest games have a strong mod community. And the fact that they arranged Broken Steel at all leads me to the conclusion that they do take into account players' opinions; otherwise they wouldn't have altered the ending.

This said however there is also the chance that they might not do anything at all about the problem with this ridiculous argument that they do not support mods, effectively stating they wash their hands as far as the core game runs without problems. My view on this matter however is that this is very much a Beth issue as this isn't a third party mod that is making the game unstable/unplayable but an actual change in the game's core workings is now making incompatibilities with their very own CS (Or more specifically the way their CS handles certain details such as the non permanent reference characters and statics). I honestly feel they should accept responsibility for this and find a solution with I suppose another patch. While there is a chance they might not fix the problem due to their mod policy, I sincerely doubt it will end like this. I do believe, right or wrong, Beth will fix this problem as it is way too major.

Now what I do believe beyond a doubt is that for this to be fixed it may take a hell of a lot longer than any of us would like. Certainly we know Beth's priorities lie with 2 things: Broken Steel and Xbox (I would say consoles but we know how bad PS3 users have it). Fixing broken steel will undoubtedly be much more important for them than this 1.5 issue given that in perfect DLC tradition BS is fubared. We're likely to see the devs help fix 1.5 after issues with BS are fixed, and by fixed I mean it is downloadable and generally playable as it will still probably have it's own set of minor bugs that Quarn will sadly motivate himself in the distant future to patch in UOFP V.3.5 after all this mess is sorted out and things start going back to normal.

For the time being however I suspect devs will stay out of the PC forums since most players are rightfully nagging about the 1.5 bugs and they will turn their attention to the priority of the game industry, X-Box 360. Since they have no mods to complain about, that's where they will be spending the most amount of time while Broken Steel gets fixed. In the meanwhile I'm certain there will be nothing from the devs on this problem except: "We don't support mods" and more likely absolute silence.

Sometime in several weeks maybe we may see a surprise 1.55 or 1.6 patch that rectifies the problems here. Or if they do decide to dismiss their PC customer base completely (Which I don't believe but who knows?) then they'll leave it as is. It's sad really, the reason I want to continue as a PC gamer is because of the opportunity of great games that have great mods. Every gaming company seems to have decided to just want to push gamers towards crappy consoles with so many bugs, draconian security devices and indifference within the market. :nope:

In the meantime I'll go play other games. :shrug:
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:01 am

as i've been saying on the nexus forums

why don't we just take the new stuff that 1.5 added and toss it into 1.4. It's one script and some fixes how the hell hard could they be to find and add into 1.4.
Ryan Lutz

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:48 pm

why don't we just take the new stuff that 1.5 added and toss it into 1.4. It's one script and some fixes how the hell hard could they be to find and add into 1.4.

There's deeper changes than scripts, I'm sure of it. There's fixes that a script is not powerful enough to do. Executable changes, for sure.
Nitol Ahmed

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:48 am

Because it's not that simple. The Fallout 3 ESM and the executable are two different entities. We can extract from the ESM (and have, in fact: FakePatch). We cannot with the executable itself as it's compiled code.
Frank Firefly

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:02 am

The changes are on the exe. So they can't be modded into 1.4
kiss my weasel

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:16 pm

well the script for broken steel would be in the ESM wouldn't it?
keri seymour

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:11 am

i assume no or they may be a legal issue involved as well but i could be wrong.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:34 pm

The question should instead be:

Do we need the exe changes to get Broken Steel working?

If the answer is yes, can we do anything to simulate the points we do need or indeed remove / replace them entirely?
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:47 am

well the script for broken steel would be in the ESM wouldn't it?

it's not a script, it's a script command. Something the exe need to be edited for, so it knows that the heck it is.
Rob

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:34 am

alright now i understand it a bit more. so 2 things to say.

1) [censored] YOU BETHESDA

2) really hope the community can fix this because bethesda apparently dosn't give a [censored] about the modding community anymore.

Though here's one idea (and keep in mind please i know nothing about scripting)

What about figuring out what the script was and then modding broken steel to use a FOSE script that does the same thing as the EXE script. and that would make broken steel work.

Correct? and/or possible?
Jimmie Allen

Post » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:39 am

What about figuring out what the script was and then modding broken steel to use a FOSE script that does the same thing as the EXE script. and that would make broken steel work.

Correct? and/or possible?

No, and no.

Patch 1.5 adds 1 function. Which is to swap water types.

There are two ways around this, one is fairly quick and can be done within an hour, which is commenting out that line of script. You'll get 100% playable BS, but still old water.

Once that's done, it is possible to manually swap the water properties, and that the user simply activates the mod with the correct water after starting out BS.

More wizardry methods involving disabled water and x markers may appear later, but these are the ones doable quickly.
herrade

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:25 pm

No, and no.

Patch 1.5 adds 1 function. Which is to swap water types.

There are two ways around this, one is fairly quick and can be done within an hour, which is commenting out that line of script. You'll get 100% playable BS, but still old water.

Once that's done, it is possible to manually swap the water properties, and that the user simply activates the mod with the correct water after starting out BS.

More wizardry methods involving disabled water and x markers may appear later, but these are the ones doable quickly.

well svcks that my idea won't work.

I hope you or someone makes one of those two into a mod. i would have no problem disabling the script totally to get BS playable. i'll just go install this mod: http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=2599

as well to make it act like it should.

I think a lot of people would be fine if that script was disabled and it allowed BS to be playable on 1.4.

But what about the new perks and level cap, will that be okay on 1.4 or does that require 1.5 too?
Kay O'Hara

Post » Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:36 pm

Have any of the few players that got the working version of Broken Steel tried it using 1.0 and the fakepatch? I'm curious what happens...
Solina971

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3