Mods that never came to pass

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:13 am

That's not entirely true. The flowing capes and stuff were part of the NWN DLC project which was being created for Bioware by a third party (DLA) funded by Atari, when Atari killed NWN's DLC development they ended up with loads of leftover assets such as tilesets and equipment, which (once the legal wrangling was over and with agreement of DLA) they added to the later patches. Bioware's only real part in that content was to sign it off and integrate it into the patch.

I'd like tohave seen one of the mounted combat mods to come to fruition (That wasn't bundled with deadly reflex, which is unstable as heck in my experience)

Actually DLA released their DLC it's called Wyvern Crown of Cormyr or some-such. They still added in stuff from DLC into a default game. Which would be like Beth saying "Oh yeah here's a patch, it also includes horse armour and the KoTN storyline. And parts of other DLC." Bioware also does it with almost every DLC, after infinite dungeons came out the gave us the tilesets from it. After pirates of the sword coast came out, they gave us creatures and music from it. They also did things like advertise that a new CEP (Erm CEP is kinda like COBL, but used by more people,) came out. Or even just hosts links to popular mods. Not only that, but around six months to a year ago they released a final patch nearly seven years after release. They say it's final, but the dev's at Bioware have said that if something comes up they will patch it if they can.

The point is, it's been what four-five years since oblivion they have taken DLC offline, they don't patch issues that come up, hell they stopped patching it something like six months after release. They have a team of moderators yes, but at bioware the dev's can come in and post in a thread to say things like "Oh that mod is awesome" or "We're working on a new patch it should be out in a few months." People always claim that Beth's support of the mod community is second to none I would argue that bioware does more. I mean look at it this way people still play and love NWN, so bioware still patches the game. People still play and love Morrowind, they have to fix bugs themselves even going so far as to muck around and create a homemade code patch. Which, while that does show dedication, it's really something that should be done by the devs not the end user.

EDIT: cat laid down on my keyboard thought I had cleaned up all the misc text.
Michelle Smith

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:03 am

I actually finished a very authentic MW Style Daedric Dagger for OB (with glow maps) but never released/uploaded.

How much would I need to beg for that, oh powerful, awesome, creative and all around nice guy known as Hel Borne?
I can prostrate myself to you all day and all night for a month if need be. I could sing a couple Michal Jackson songs for you(I'm somewhat good at Thriller, I hear). Back rub? Polish your shoes? Suffer painful death in creative ways for your amusemant? Oh wait, that's the adoring fan I'm thinking of here.
Joanne Crump

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Like Hel Borne I have to confess that one of the ones I'd like is my own.

I started work on bathtubs as furniture a while back. Made the furniture marker, and the models and the animations in MAX. Exported the markers and the models as nif's and then hit a wall when I couldn't get any animations out as kf's. This may get resurrected if I can learn enough Blender to repeat the animation work there, as it appears to be easier to export from that tool.

I hadn't got very far with the animations. I had a basic step-in animation, that I intended to test first and extend to sitting down afterward, and didn't go any further when I discovered I couldn't export. There were a few static poses for relaxing in the tub, and the beginnings of a wash idle, but nothing like a full set.

So right now the Gweden girls have a bathtub in the sub-basemant that looks steamy and inviting, but none of them ever use it (although Darwen claims to, I've never seen her).
Sarah Evason

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:26 am

Maybe http://hammerfellmod.ning.com/. It looked so nice....but no news from there since 2 months ago, and the last post by him said he wasn't sure to continue the project...

Broad got in a car accident and was very sick for 2 months, he said he is still working on it recently though, I hope.

And what happened to your Youtube channel man? Remember me haha.

EDIT:To stay on topic, I would have liked to see Pellucidar surface, by Exanimis, but his hard drive crashed and he lost everything he worked on.
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:37 pm

A multicore-optimized Oblivion where I could fly over cyrodiil on the Akatosh dragon without any loading stutter. It's all I want, it's not much is it? :P
As far as mods are concerned, before reading this thread I didn't have any regret but now:
-Jousting mod(mounted combat in general), the idea sounds awesome, dunno how fun it would really have been though.
-Dark Brotherhood quest line extended, well who wouldn't want more of those :).

In general though I have to admit that the modding community gave more than I could ever have imagined(and thus, regret).
Gill Mackin

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Actually DLA released their DLC it's called Wyvern Crown of Cormyr or some-such.

They released it but it was free in the end wasn't it, not paid content as was originally planned.

But yeah you're right they were more on the ball than I give credit, they'd added new content for modders not long after each DLC came out rather than restricting it or waiting til the end. They also integrated the new cloak systems and NPC scaling hack very late into the day. I know that the late-day Bioware live team on NWN had quite a few of the former NWN modding community in it which undoubtedly helps a lot, it'd sort've akin to the hypothetical scenario of Bethesda's patch team working hand in hand with the OBSE team to make new script features and fixes official instead of unofficial. (Likewise those "new devs" are a lot more active inside the community as a result (By active that means me and Brian Chung trading trout slaps in IRC regulary http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=8963 xD))

I still think the CEP was the worst thing to happen to NWN. As Talkie put it in another thread (paraphrased)
That usually means no testing, no support and made by people who really don't know what they're doing, because the people who do know, know it's not a good idea

Sophie Morrell

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:43 am

4. There was some sort of proper legs for Khajiit mod, forgot who was behind it, or what it was called, but it looked good.

There was a guy who released the model, and I then wrote a script for him that applies it to all Khajiit in the game on load (including the player!). I have no clue if anything ever happened to it, though.
Naomi Lastname

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:54 am

I think it was called "The Island" and I am not sure what happened as it must have died. Oh yeah here is the vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_StE8JW_tk&feature=response_watch

I don't think the resources were every released either :/

This one. The beauuuuuuty!
Lance Vannortwick

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:50 am

Duke Patrick's http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=965580.

Reneer's Dialog Mod http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?act=findpost&pid=14788308

Not to be too hypocritical, I should also mention I wish I had time to update my own mods. ;)
Lew.p

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:59 pm

The Wayfarer had this great mod that improved Cyrodiil's roads. He made good progress and always seemed to be on the verge of releasing at least a beta version, but now it seems that the project is dead.
I know there's Improved Infrastructure, but somehow The Wayfarer's vision was more to my liking.

There was also this one guy who had good skills at modeling and was tackling the layout of the Imperial City, trying to make it more dense and add more levels to it. While there are other mods that do something similar (Better Cities, Imperial City Densified), he was actually making new meshes solely for that purpose, while those other mods have to work with what resources they get. I believe he would have been able to completely overhaul the IC's looks, so I'm very sad that he disappeared.

In general, I believe it could only be good for Oblivion if there were some modelers who focused on re-modeling the cities. All the city mods can only use the meshes that are available, and the buildings of Oblivion's cities simply don't allow for interesting city layouts. (You only need to compare what's been done with Oblivion's meshes and what has been done with Morrowind's meshes concerning cities. One could create a huge Imperial style city that didn't get boring with Morrowind's Imperial architecture, but Oblivion's buildings are too specific and don't allow for much "interpretation".)
JLG

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:50 am

I would personally have to say the Watercraft mod by CLShade. That was looking really cool. Ah, at last real life always comes first.
Jessie Rae Brouillette

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:11 am

the second part the dwemer mod by sahardoom...or at least i think thats what his name was. im completely blanking on the name of the first one but you got dwemer blades and the gear he had pics of for the second part were absolutely awesome. he even went as far as making custom UIs and crosshairs for the dwemer helmets. :)

man i wish he had finished that mod.

edit: almost forgot.....gates to aasgard 3.

another edit: the aforementioned mod was called CORE or children of rourken.
Lily Evans

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:11 pm

They released it but it was free in the end wasn't it, not paid content as was originally planned.

But yeah you're right they were more on the ball than I give credit, they'd added new content for modders not long after each DLC came out rather than restricting it or waiting til the end. They also integrated the new cloak systems and NPC scaling hack very late into the day. I know that the late-day Bioware live team on NWN had quite a few of the former NWN modding community in it which undoubtedly helps a lot, it'd sort've akin to the hypothetical scenario of Bethesda's patch team working hand in hand with the OBSE team to make new script features and fixes official instead of unofficial. (Likewise those "new devs" are a lot more active inside the community as a result (By active that means me and Brian Chung trading trout slaps in IRC regulary http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=8963 xD))

I still think the CEP was the worst thing to happen to NWN. As Talkie put it in another thread (paraphrased)

Your thinking of Ossian studios dlc whose name escapes me at the moment, shadow over darkmoor or somat. Also it appears as if they have taken DLC offline as well. Kinda sad makes me wish I had backed mine up. But such is life. Here's the link to Wyvern http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Modules.Detail&id=5175. Can't download it there though.

Not really the worst thing to ever happen it's exactly what it says on the tin.(Community Expansion Pack) Now PRC was pretty bad it broke practically everything and never really caught on outside of PWs built around it.
Red Sauce

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 am

Can someone give me a link to the oceans mod?
Joey Bel

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:05 pm

And while it wasn't technically a mod:
http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1040373&hl= (Link to thread) :sad:
It was going to be a site that allowed insane speeds for downloading and uploading mods... For a while I defended Nick's absence, but I must face the final result. Nick has not been on this sight since November 6th, and it is my belief that the project is dead. While I can't say it for certain, as it was not my mod, I believe it will never be finished. :sadvaultboy:
I was even to get access to the torrents earliest to help beta beta test a few things before others... :(
Mashystar

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Not to be too hypocritical, I should also mention I wish I had time to update my own mods. ;)
Seconded. I would love to get a more advanced version of Soundscaper, though I am grateful for what I have.

And I'll confess that I think much the same way: the mods I *really want* and don't have are the ones I haven't got around to making yet.

Vac
Kelly Upshall

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:21 am

I will never be happy without the new version of Enter The Shinobi too ...
brandon frier

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:10 am

The Dragon Break. It was unceremoniously abandoned, by all appearances. I was really looking forward to that one.

I'm starting to believe DB Chronicles has ended the same way.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:10 am

Also I'd have love to have v2 of Alexscorpion's Sneaking Gear....
Liv Staff

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:31 pm

And what happened to your Youtube channel man? Remember me haha.

Do you know what happens when you leave an open Youtube account in your browser, and your little brother plays with it? Yeah, that happened....complete disaster, all videos erased, I was so frustrated that I decided to close it. Although I've created a new one recently, and made the browser to clear history and cookies every times it closes.

It's a pity. Had a lot of good videos in that one. Sometimes I wonder if I should have asked my brother why he kept pushing the "Delete" buttons *before* I stomped his head into a wall... :mellow:

EDIT: Oh, double post. I was so upset remembering that that I didn't remembered that I already posted... :P
Lalla Vu

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:40 am

Do you know what happens when you leave an open Youtube account in your browser, and your little brother plays with it? Yeah, that happened....complete disaster, all videos erased, I was so frustrated that I decided to close it. Although I've created a new one recently, and made the browser to clear history and cookies every times it closes.

It's a pity. Had a lot of good videos in that one. Sometimes I wonder if I should have asked my brother why he kept pushing the "Delete" buttons *before* I stomped his head into a wall... :mellow:

EDIT: Oh, double post. I was so upset remembering that that I didn't remembered that I already posted... :P

Aww man that svcks, you had the most entertaining videos I could find then I wondered what happened, but I hope you get some more up :( Whats your new channel?

Anyways does anyone know about Mr Siika's Dwemer Submarine? He had some pics of the submarine in it's complete stages then I don't know what happened...

EDIT: I found your channel Suprnovo. Yay!
Frank Firefly

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:28 pm

Here are the mods I miss- any mod proposed by a new modder that was promptly shot down by posters because it might be 1) incompatible with -insert name of popular mod here-, 2) not lore friendly or 3) "Somebody already did a mod like that so why bother?"

As for everything else, well you can't always have everything you see. I know that, and I'm over it.
Cheville Thompson

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:23 pm

Wasn't there something lately that was to make npcs much better, not by a normal mod but by something about an engine he made? Is that still going on? I remember that (I think) shadme said something about it and a relation to his sickness mod. Ill send him a pm
Horse gal smithe

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:54 am

Wasn't there something lately that was to make npcs much better, not by a normal mod but by something about an engine he made? Is that still going on? I remember that (I think) shadme said something about it and a relation to his sickness mod. Ill send him a pm
You're talking about QQuix's NPC ACE, I presume. But that's being worked upon actively by the author.
john page

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 pm

You're talking about QQuix's NPC ACE, I presume. But that's being worked upon actively by the author.

Ok thanks. I guess I won't be missing this one. Can someone please tell me what oceans mod was.
Eve(G)

PreviousNext

Return to IV - Oblivion