More joinable factions please...

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:23 pm

I'd love more factions to join and if you become leader more things to do as leader. It always bugged me how, as Arch Mage I couldnt appeal to have the ban lifted on necromancers or something.

Also becoming some kind of king would be cool. I don't mean become king of all Skyrim, but become some sort of king or become kingly or whatever.

Like say theres a group in one part of the country and they have they'r own king and you can take over as their king somehow. We've already had the ability to become the leader of a faction and I hope that ability comes back in force but this is something a little different I guess.

Also having a pirate faction would be so cool.

Anyone else have any ideas on new factions?
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:35 am

I would LOVE a great amount of factions and quests etcetcetc.
sarah

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:32 pm

Of course yes.
More than 4 factions please.
Chloe Botham

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:59 pm

I'd love more factions to join and if you become leader more things to do as leader. It always bugged me how, as Arch Mage I couldnt appeal to have the ban lifted on necromancers or something.

Also becoming some kind of king would be cool. I don't mean become king of all Skyrim, but become some sort of king or become kingly or whatever.

Like say theres a group in one part of the country and they have they'r own king and you can take over as their king somehow. We've already had the ability to become the leader of a faction and I hope that ability comes back in force but this is something a little different I guess.

I agree. After reading the links in the Skyrim Lore sticky, It would seem that Skyrim has much more opportunity than Cyrodiil as far as joinable factions may go. Im assuming that since Skyrim was one of the original settlements/landings for humans in Tamriel there would be more of a foundation for cults/guilds/associations (daggerfall style) than cyrodiil, which was more of a modernized "Rome" style city.

As for your hopes in achieving some kingly role, the lore mentioned that Skyrim is divided into Holds, something like city states id imagine and that they have electede councils or something (i forgot the name) that govern the territory, so I wouldnt rule out a questline that might have you maybe purchase land and become a prominent citizen in the area, maybe working your way up to governing a particular Hold.

Personally im hoping for a Raven Rock style questling where we can found a settlement or see a village built.

Here's hoping!
Andrew Perry

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:21 pm

I would LOVE a great amount of factions and quests etcetcetc.

only if there is a lot of variety with the quests and not just the same thing over and over
Sxc-Mary

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 5:40 pm

More major factions, more quests. yes
Harry Hearing

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:40 am

How about CREATING your own faction?

Depending on your overall reputation, personality and speechcraft, you'd be able to gather a larger flock of followers, call yourself The Order of the Stick and have some (obviously limited) commands, like:

- Help faction x (followers would helps faction guards, merchant or nobles if in danger);
- ATTACK faction x (u get it....)
- Donate money to pdesbois
- Pray to Odin, Loki or Njord (whatever...)

Nothing too extensive, just implement something other than you go get quest, get item, get reward, get laid, get - oh wait, not even Daggerfall had that... Well, the above would be already pretty cool :).
Suzy Santana

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:06 pm

They should add some kind of perk for being a leader of a guild. Maybe change rules, get paid, give out quest, etc...
Bird

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:41 pm

Definitely good and evil factions. The Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild would be good, and the Dark Brotherhood or whatever an assassin's guild would be along with the Thieve's Guild would be evil. And add the Imperial Legion as a joinable faction again! The Legion was one of my favorite questlines in Morrowind.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:28 pm

Necromancers should come back as something worth while this time.
Scotties Hottie

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:32 pm

I'm going to go ahead and be controversial here: I don't see the point of either becoming a "true" leader of a faction or even creating one of your own. I suppose I can see the allure... I just don't understand what makes those mechanics fun in a single player RPG.

How do you make the day-to-day management of a guild fun without using infuriating Fable-like button-timing games to affix your seal to various documents or other such nonsense?
How do you make "giving orders" and "changing guild policy" meaningful in a game populated with NPCs?

Real organizational leadership takes a special mix of competency, inspiration, a knack for managing interpersonal drama, and leveraging people. In video games, people are not people, they're scripts.

Sorry, I just don't see how they could make that fun.
Philip Lyon

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:57 pm

Agreed on ALL counts. It always bothered me that, as Archmage, the mages at the guild showed me the same disrespect that they showed me as an apprentice. "I'm sorry but I have no time to talk?!" WTF I am THE ARCHMAGE! You MAKE time to talk to the leader of your Guild. Also, once you take over a faction, NPCs diaglogue should reflect acknowledgement of your change in status. And yes, you should be able to make new rules.
Michael Russ

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Can you please at the Wu Tang faction back in from.....
Sammie LM

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:01 pm

I want more factions, but I don't want to be able to become the leader of each one with the same character. I had a serious problem in Oblivion with being the head of the Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood. It just seems unrealistic, even for fantasy, and managed to break my immersion.

I'd really like to see some badass Nordic clans, with some very Norse quests (i.e., Killing a giant Cave-Bear, raiding and capturing a rival Clan's village, or just challenging and killing the leader of a low-level clan and taking control).
Red Bevinz

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:29 pm

i like the idea of being able to do more as the leader... kinda like the dunbarrow cove expansion where you could send your men on raids... except more in depth....
Add Me

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:51 pm

Excellent idea. Professional, political and military options (and make some in direct conflict with one another).
Jade

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:52 am

I want more factions, but I don't want to be able to become the leader of each one with the same character. I had a serious problem in Oblivion with being the head of the Fighters Guild, Thieves Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood. It just seems unrealistic, even for fantasy, and managed to break my immersion.

I'd really like to see some badass Nordic clans, with some very Norse quests (i.e., Killing a giant Cave-Bear, raiding and capturing a rival Clan's village, or just challenging and killing the leader of a low-level clan and taking control).

Skyrim should have some serious replay value. You could technically do everything in Oblivion with one character if you wanted to. I like the way Fallout New Vegas encourages multiple play throughs because you can't join every faction in the game at the same time.

Also, in Fallout New Vegas, at one point I was pretending to side with Ceasars Legion while pretending to side with Mr. House as well secretly. But when it came time to make my move I had both Mr. House and Ceasar killed and used my robot army I had built up for myself, along with groups I had ally themselves with me personally while not telling either Ceasar or House, to win the day at the end of the game and become the new ruler of New Vegas.

I was playing everyone behind everyone elses back and it felt awesome. I kept my motives secret from everyone. And best of all it was my choice. I want to be able to do that sort of thing in Skyrim.
Anna S

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:18 pm

Thanks for not making a useless poll for this thread. Seriously, there are already 210 polls in this forum, 25% of all threads.

I'd love to see more factions, maybe even some conflicting one. Like Morrowind's Great Houses: You could only join one of three, and they were constantly fighting over territory and other matters.

Besides that they should bring skill requirements back too, so you can't become the leader of all factions...
danni Marchant

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Definitely good and evil factions. The Fighter's Guild and Mage's Guild would be good, and the Dark Brotherhood or whatever an assassin's guild would be along with the Thieve's Guild would be evil. And add the Imperial Legion as a joinable faction again! The Legion was one of my favorite questlines in Morrowind.

I'd rather have shades of grey then good and evil to be honest. i feel its more important to have the characters choice.

it works both ways for most anyway.

Thieves Guild, stealing is bad, so was Robin hood the bad guy?
Mages Guild, Magic is good, but necromancy is bad, (i know its band, but it might be possible in this game)
Fighters guild, depends who you fight for really....
Assassins guild, depends on who you assassinate... (ok, i realise that is pretty weak, and the assassins guild is pretty much as evil as it goes, but i never said my plan was bulletproof...)

I hope that these 4 stay in, same as i hope the arena is there in some form.
I'd also really like more factions to join, especially some kind of militia group, such as the imperial legion in the days of morrow wind.

Maybe a bandit group, who also operate a few pirate raids, maybe a religious cult, a town council, a band of mercenaries or a renegade legion.
To be perfectly honest, the possibilities are limitless, and i'd be abit disappointed if they didnt include more factions.
Joe Bonney

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:30 pm

Speaking of The Arena, I hope they go into more detail with that too.

After becoming Champion it would be cool to have people challenge you for the title and you could lose it too. By the time I became Champion it was nothing but fighting Minotaurs for the rest of the game.
aisha jamil

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 am

I play the role of an adventurer, so i have not the managing skill to rule a faction. so maybe the highest rank available to the player shouldn't be the master of the guild, maybe an high rank officer
Franko AlVarado

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:37 pm

More factions to join would definitely be a priority for me. I wonder if the survivors of the Morag Tong could have made their way to Skyrim; that faction was fun in Morrowind.
Sherry Speakman

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:56 am

I'm going to go ahead and be controversial here: I don't see the point of either becoming a "true" leader of a faction or even creating one of your own. I suppose I can see the allure... I just don't understand what makes those mechanics fun in a single player RPG.

How do you make the day-to-day management of a guild fun without using infuriating Fable-like button-timing games to affix your seal to various documents or other such nonsense?
How do you make "giving orders" and "changing guild policy" meaningful in a game populated with NPCs?

Real organizational leadership takes a special mix of competency, inspiration, a knack for managing interpersonal drama, and leveraging people. In video games, people are not people, they're scripts.

Sorry, I just don't see how they could make that fun.

Maybe like Assassins Creed Brotherhood, you can send your recruits out on contract to get money and to earn them XP and upgrade their weapons and armor.
GEo LIme

Post » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:52 pm

I play the role of an adventurer, so i have not the managing skill to rule a faction. so maybe the highest rank available to the player shouldn't be the master of the guild, maybe an high rank officer

Whoa there ranger. That dosn't speak for everyone. Though it does bring up a good point.

Maybe attaining higher ranks should be a bit more difficult so that by the time you do become leader of a faction you'll have earned it. If you want to stay an officer of some kind you can still do quests for them, but until you prove yourself worthy you can't rise in rank.

As much as I loved becoming Arch Mage, I felt I hadn't really earned it. I just sort of stumbled into it.

EDIT: I did however, feel that I had earned my way into the Arcane University. That felt well earned IMO.
Campbell

Post » Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:41 am

I, for one, would like to see more than four main factions. Different factions would be very good for game depth.

There can be political, separatist\unifier factions depending on the current political habitat in the game nations. There can be rebel factions (but please... Not good rebels against evil empire cliché)

Also there can be race specific factions, maybe even racist factions, factions with hidden agendas which will remain obfuscated until the player progressed among that faction's ranks.

Factions that focus only on economic aspects, like trader factions.

Also, I think being the top dog in any faction should be harder than excelling in a skill. Maybe making the right decisions in key turning points in the game? Or completing special tasks and quests? Maybe even hidden quests?
Leah

Next

Return to V - Skyrim