A new Modder

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:03 am

Hey guys. Ive recently gotten into Skyrim modding and wanted to share my five cent on this subject. I went through a lot of tutorials both the official bethesda ones and user made ones, both written and video made tutorials. First I wanted to make my own house, so I did. Yet i was disapointed to find out I couldn't make my own bookshelf because I couldnt make collision markers. So i scratched the idea of a bookshelf and made a home without one. Then I wanted to get into making quests. It was difficult at first but luckily there was a good tutorial on youtube. Ive spent hours now only to find out that another bug, which means I cant see dialogue and thus cant initiate my quest is here.

Then I read something about saving with the mod loaded then reload the save. I did and now it worked. So now i picked up the quest, but now my compass marker wouldn't work. It simply never shows up at my objectives. I tried to make new quests and follow every step of the tutorial yet I had no luck and I have to say it was depressing seeing at the end of the tutorial how it worked out for those guys, and I sit here having wasted my time. Suddenly I the dialogue bug was at me again and now I cant pick the quest up anymore.

I'd like to stress Ive spent hours following every step of the tutorials and even tried to find some help, but with not much luck. I really think that after almost a year after release, that its a complete disgrace having such a bug filled Creation Kit. Then I look at other great mods especially the ones that add awesome new quests and wonder how the [censored] did they do it? Its getting increasingly frustrating especially because I cant find any information regarding a fix, or a patch of the Creation Kit.
keri seymour

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:56 am

Collision Markers: You can make collision markers via the right-most tabs in the CK's menu bar (Plane, cube, sphere)

Compass Marker: You must be certain the ref alias is filled and that the stage is set with said alias as the quest target. It does work.

Things aren't always clear, cut, and dry when modding these games and as something becomes more intricate, it's more likely to get confusing as everything is intertwined. Just be persistent and you'll solve all your problems and learn what you need to see to it the next time you have to do something similar, it'll be a cakewalk. CK can be kinda foreboding, but things tend to fall into place if you're persistent enough. Don't give up.

Good luck! :smile:
James Potter

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:27 am

I did hit the collision cube, but when i click in the render window -nothing- happens. Not only can i not create them, I cant even see them together with the other markets.
And I am so completetly sure that my ref alias is filled. Ive followed through the tutorials so closely. I'd honestly give you the little mod file and let you take a look at it for yourself. Not even my dialogues work anymore, whatevert sort of Creation Kit your using, then I'd much rather have that if it works :P
Horror- Puppe

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:26 am

I did hit the collision cube, but when i click in the render window -nothing- happens. Not only can i not create them, I cant even see them together with the other markers.
Hit 'M' while the Render Window has focus.
And I am so completetly sure that my ref alias is filled. Ive followed through the tutorials so closely. I'd honestly give you the little mod file and let you take a look at it for yourself.
I had some problems getting Bag of Holding's quest marker to work as well (can't remember what exactly the fix was). Suffice it to say, there was something I'd done wrong and that it wasn't the CK's fault. Link it if you want. If another has not taken a look by later tonight (after a round or two of steam cleaning my carpets), I'll have a look and see if anything sticks out as off.
Lew.p

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:49 am

I DO hit the M while in the render Window. Still no collision markers come up. And Ive went by the tutorials over and over and still no quest markers and nothing. Not even dialogues work and ive checked everything. Sorry im just getting to stressed; here I uploaded it.

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/21926

If you search for MFQuest (My First Quest) in the CK you'll find all the items linked to it. I hope you can help me, because I am at the brink of giving up here.
bonita mathews

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:06 pm

look in the cell window. make sure your new cell is selected in the left hand pane and find the collision primitive in the right hand side. You can then right click and choose view and the camera will focus on the item.

I had occasion to add a couple of occlusion planes to a cell recently. Primitives don't always appear where you might expect to find them.

(Alternatively, if it's not listed in the rhs of the cell view at all, it's possible it's just not being created. Still, at least you'd know).
brian adkins

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:50 am

look in the cell window. make sure your new cell is selected in the left hand pane and find the collision primitive in the right hand side. You can then right click and choose view and the camera will focus on the item.

I had occasion to add a couple of occlusion planes to a cell recently. Primitives don't always appear where you might expect to find them.

(Alternatively, if it's not listed in the rhs of the cell view at all, it's possible it's just not being created. Still, at least you'd know).

Still nothing. And if i try to find the preset collision markers (like bookshelf in playerhouse) then they are not there. They are in the object panel, but not in the render window with the other markers.
Nina Mccormick

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:25 pm

I even try to drag collision markers from the object window into the render window and theres nothing,
Rob Smith

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 3:55 am

You tried it in a completely empty cell? Like duplicate aamarkers, remove everything from the duplicate and then add a marker?

Because if you do that and you still can't see it, then it's pretty clear that it's not working, Which moves us from "doing it wrong" and into "broken CK" territory.
Nathan Barker

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:03 am

You tried it in a completely empty cell? Like duplicate aamarkers, remove everything from the duplicate and then add a marker?

Because if you do that and you still can't see it, then it's pretty clear that it's not working, Which moves us from "doing it wrong" and into "broken CK" territory.

Yes, I just did this now. Deleted everything in the render window, tried to add marker but nothing happens. The wierd thing is that sometimes (very rarely) when loading a premade cell, where there are collision markers then they do appear, but if i hit M to remove the markers from sight, then hit M again then they are gone.

EDIT: ive tried to verify integrity of game cache, and ive tried to uninstall and install again completetly - nothing works.
Chris Jones

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:31 am

Only think I can think of left to try is do the steam "verify local cache" on the ck. If any files are corrupt they'll be re-downloaded and should leave you with a factory settings creation kit.

If that don't fix it, it'll take a wiser head than mine

[edit]

Beaten to it :)
Veronica Flores

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:25 pm

Try clicking on any object in your cell. Then while it's still selected click on the collision cube button. That should create a collision cube around the object you had selected. Now to change its shape you need to use the size gizmo (I think it automatically turns on when you make the primitive, but just in case it doesn't the hot key for it is "2").

About the bug woes: Remember, the game might have been out since November, but the CK has only been out since April. Nothing's ever simple and I'm guessing this is more then the case when it comes to programming. Consider yourself lucky that you started modding after the navmesh bug got fixed :P. it might take a little while, but bethesda are pretty good with the modding community. they won't leave us in the lurch, a fix will come. "Patience is a virtue"...remember there's no need to get stressed (this is a hobby after all), we're all in the same boat

Have Fun!

- Hypno
carly mcdonough

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:01 am

Try clicking on any object in your cell. Then while it's still selected click on the collision cube button. That should create a collision cube around the object you had selected. Now to change its shape you need to use the size gizmo (I think it automatically turns on when you make the primitive, but just in case it doesn't the hot key for it is "2").

About the bug woes: Remember, the game might have been out since November, but the CK has only been out since April. Nothing's ever simple and I'm guessing this is more then the case when it comes to programming. Consider yourself lucky that you started modding after the navmesh bug got fixed :tongue:. it might take a little while, but bethesda are pretty good with the modding community. they won't leave us in the lurch, a fix will come. "Patience is a virtue"...remember there's no need to get stressed (this is a hobby after all), we're all in the same boat

Have Fun!

- Hypno

I havent gotten into navmesh yet. But I tried as you said, click on an object then on collision cube. Nothing happens.
Sunny Under

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:24 am

Oh! After you clicked on the Collision Cube button, did you L-Click in the Render Window where you wanted it to show up? The editor's gotta know where to put it since it's not getting dragondropped from the Object Window.
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:34 pm

Oh! After you clicked on the Collision Cube button, did you L-Click in the Render Window where you wanted it to show up? The editor's gotta know where to put it since it's not getting dragondropped from the Object Window.

Yes I did. Not only do they not show up, but other collision cubes do not show up either. If I load up like Breezehome then I see the collision markers, but i still cant create my own, and as soon as i hit M then M again, then they are gone :(

P.S I linked to my mod about the dialogue for you to look into, because I honestly cant see what i did wrong.
Alex [AK]

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:52 am

About the collision objects; here is a tutorial on how to make bookshelf and the person has the same problem like myself;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hns088dwcvc

Bereket Fekadu

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:25 pm

For something like your test mod, you might as well just upload it to RapidShare/MediaFire and save the nexus for bona fide releases.

Adding a collision marker to your plugin worked just fine. Are you *setting your plugin as "Active" when loading it?

*Double R-Click your plugin in File > Data window
Rachell Katherine

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:04 pm

For something like your test mod, you might as well just upload it to RapidShare/MediaFire and save the nexus for bona fide releases.

Adding a collision marker to your plugin worked just fine. Are you *setting your plugin as "Active" when loading it?

*Double R-Click your plugin in File > Data window

Oh sorry. ANd yes I did set it as an active file. Ive got no idea why it works for you, its like you got a working Creation Kit and mine doesent.
brian adkins

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:22 am

Oh sorry. ANd yes I did set it as an active file. Ive got no idea why it works for you, its like you got a working Creation Kit and mine doesent.
Nexus: I'd delete it if I were you until it's ready for release.

Working CK: Well, you could always use Steam to "veriify integrity of tool cache". If there's anything f'd up with your CK, that ought to fix it.
Amy Cooper

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:02 am

Nexus: I'd delete it if I were you until it's ready for release.

Working CK: Well, you could always use Steam to "veriify integrity of tool cache". If there's anything f'd up with your CK, that ought to fix it.

Ive already verified and ive already reinstalled the CK.....and nexus side is having erros so it says i dont have permission to delete my own mod.
Shelby McDonald

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:05 am

I honestly believe you're just not doing it right mate. A collision cube is something I've made a dozen times and it's quick and always worked. Never had a problem, just take 1 click.

Say you place an object in the render window, and I want to add a collision cube to it, I simply select the object in the render window, then click the little box with a C in it near the top of the Creation Kit. That's it, collision box pops up around the object, with a size gizmo ready to use.

Edit: Going to leave this post as is for new modders to find it by search, however I've just read more clearly your problem, and I didn't initially understand what you meant. My cube isn't the same thing you're trying to make I don't think sorry.
Ilona Neumann

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:34 am

FIXED IT!!!!

I tried deleting the Skyrimeditor.ini and pref file, and reinstalled the CK and now it works! Collision cubes appear, and do no longer disappear!!!!
Reanan-Marie Olsen

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:42 pm

All that still doesent seem to work for me is my dialogue.
lacy lake

Post » Sun Nov 18, 2012 4:04 am

Dialogue is pretty hit-or-miss at the moment. You said you did the save/load workaround and it worked, then it stopped working?
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:53 pm

Yes now it works every time saving and reloading. However now I cant get the scripts to work.
Below is my script, MFQuestQuest is the ID of the quest itself. It says it fails to compile, but ive checked with tutorials and I cant see wahts wrong here.
Event OnDeath(Actor killer)
MFQuestQuest.SetObjectiveDisplayed(20)
MFQuestQuest.SetStage(20)
EndEvent
jessica sonny

Next

Return to V - Skyrim