Next TES with VRHTC Vive support.

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:48 pm

For those who consider VR a fad, at what stage would you change your mind and believe that it isn't a fad anymore?

Lovingly

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 12:16 pm

You mean like how motion controls are no longer a fad? Like light guns are no longer a fad? Like 3D for movies and tvs aren't fads anymore? I wonder why they aren't fads anymore...
Tracy Byworth

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 2:41 pm

I always wondered why people bought 3D TVs. It was... such a weird concept to me. Why buy a TV just to see things in 3D? Can the 3D mode be turned off or is it always that way?

I think there is potential for VR to become something much more, but not for... quite awhile. I just... have no interest in it for TES, personally.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:48 pm

At such a time that at least a 10th of the games being released from major studios utilise the technology. That's considerably more presence than Light Guns, Motion Controls or 3D ever achieved, but still being a minor market presence.

Don't get me wrong. i really, REALLY want VR to catch on. But i don't think we're there. Not yet.

I mean, the Kinect out sold both the Vive and Oculus combined over the same period after release... And look at what happened to THAT (a horribly missed opportunity, if you ask me...). As it stands, based on my experience with it, i think Microsoft's Oculus support is the most likely to catch significant traction. And that's using it as a peripheral, not as a primary gameplay element.

rae.x

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:19 am

I absolutely love the Vive but it's not for TES, I don't think. Just different types of games, ya know?

Tiffany Castillo

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:38 am

There is also that the Vive requires a minimum room space for some games and the Oculus has been getting bad PR from it's major figures to the always on DRM and the recording of whatever you play and say through your mic and sending it to Facebook's servers.
OTTO

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:36 am

Even if the current generation of entertainment vr fails, the tech won't disappear. It is increasingly being used in work/business, for instance -

• engineers/architects etc can walk through a model of their building and see errors they would not otherwise see such as moving a button/lever lower so it is easier to reach.

• helping in medical fields such as helping to reduce paranoia (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-36053058).

This will mean that there will still be a demand for vr, and it can would be very easy to make a return to the entertainment market at a later date. If the current headsets are successful enough for the companies to continue investment. Than i reckon that the 2nd gen of vr headset/hardware is where it will truly become mainstream, developers will have a much greater idea on how to utilise the tech effectively.

So in relation to TES, maybe not TES 6. But i would place a low bet on Fallout 5 or TES 7 including native VR support.

Enny Labinjo

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:37 pm

I agree. VR is the future. But it remains to be seen how far into the future it is. The current generation isn't priced to reach a wide enough market, nor does it really have the functionality to cover enough different game types to make it attractive to most major developers.

Eve Booker

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion