Next TES with VRHTC Vive support.

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I want to be inside TES, thank you. please add support for it!
Pat RiMsey

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 5:19 pm

am I the only person not a fan of the whole VR gimmick?

Project

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:52 pm

It's 100% obvious you never tried VR before, to consider it a gimmick...
Krista Belle Davis

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 10:54 am

I have actually, gave me a migraine and I found the controls awkward..

butterfly

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 5:03 pm

I'm a huge fan of VR... But we don't have proper VR yet. We've got some awkward half-measures that are having a great deal of trouble gaining tractions. Fullscale adoption of VR opens up a lot of opportunities, but they aren't really being explored.

The thing is... Skyrim DOES have Oculus support. But it;s about as bad as you'd expect.

Having VR support isn't enough. A game needs to be BUILT around VR, and right now, it's really suited for a TES style game.

Jesus Duran

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:13 pm

^^ exactly.
Kara Payne

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 5:49 pm

Cool, what device did you use and what Demo/games did you play?
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 7:11 pm

You're not the only one. I would hate for it to be mandatory, especially for someone like me that is always getting interrupted during game play.

Trey Johnson

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Personally, I'd wait to see if VR takes off or not to start thinking about a whole new TES game based around an $700 dollar system that requires a powerful PC to even operate. In my opinion, VR is going to be like motion controls in 2008, really fun and unique, until people lose interest; but who knows? Certainly not me. If VR does take off in a major way, I'd be a supporter as well. I don't like the Idea of a full-fledged TES game as a VR exclusive.

Peter P Canning

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:17 pm

I dont care for it either but since I havent tried it thats all I'll say. But I doubt this thing will become a huge mandatory thing untill the price goes down significantly.
Milad Hajipour

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 pm

Yeah... I've wanted VR since the 90's, but i very much think this is going to be the case. This years projected revenue for VR platforms has already dropped more than 60% in 2 months, it's out of the price range for most gamers (the Vive is $1200 Canadian? I could build a GOOD 4k capable PC for that. Or buy a Phantom Titan to paint admire for a decade to come) especially when you consider the fact it's a peripheral, and the developers still aren't sure what to do with the technology beyond on-rails shooters and silly gimmick games like Job Simulator.

As much as i want it to stay, and progress, and become the amazing technology we've fantasied about for decades... I fully expect it to go the way of the Google-Glass...

Michelle Smith

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:27 pm

I hope the VR fad is very deep in the ground long before the next TES game comes out.
Marion Geneste

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:49 pm

VR has the same problem as 3D, and will suffer the same kind of on-again-off-again attempts to make it work.

The problem is that the human brain and senses want to work together. In the case of 3D, your brain is tricked into perceiving that the scene before you has depth, and tries to refocus the eyes to examine different ranges of that "depth." Since there's no real depth there, the result is that many people get eyestrain and headaches.

With VR it gets even worse. You have the flat-but-deceptive-3D depth problem with the eyes, but it's also compounded by the illusion of movement which the eyes see, but which the inner ear denies. So we have two senses giving contradictory signals. (Some people are even affected by this problem when playing a first-person game on a large screen.)

CSar L

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 8:03 pm

Gah! When I first read this I thought the title said "Next TES with VR/HTC Vivec Support.". I'm losing my mind.
Sanctum

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:42 pm

I'm not really a fan. I think the current VR sets are going to end up like motion controls for the exact same reasons. Like Lachdonin said, just giving vr support doesn't do much, games have to be built around it just like they had to be built around motion controls to really feel right. Big developers like to make their games available to as wide an audience as possible and locking your game behind an expensive peripheral isn't a good way to do that. I've played with the Rift and it's cool as hell (gives me a migraine if I play too long, though) but I've yet to see anything on any of the headsets that make me think this is the future of gaming or anything like that. I would love for real, full VR to be a thing, and this is certainly a step in the right direction, but it isn't all the way there yet, and I think it's going to end up drifting out of the public eye just as easily as motion controls did. Maybe even sooner because of the price involved.

The technology we have now is at the level of a really cool gimmick like the 3D on the 3DS, but not something that's going to become an integral part of gaming. So while I hope VR tech continues to develop and improve, until it makes another technological leap (or two) from where it is now I'd rather keep my favorite game series from spending development time and money on it.

NAtIVe GOddess

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:57 pm

I'm no fan of it either. I feel it would complicate first person dynamics, like rolling or acrobatic things.
Ross Zombie

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 1:43 pm

It would complicate controls, too. It would only work with console-type controllers, where you don't have to see the controls. With a keyboard/mouse, it's almost impossible to accurately one-hand touch-type keys that are far away from the left hand's "home" position.

Andrew Perry

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm

Nope. I'm no fan either. I have vertigo issues - can't even sit in a theater and watch a movie - because there's nothing to "anchor me" to reality. Tried a friend's VR setup.... I thought I was going to fall over and pass out before i got it off my head.

Spare me.

Shirley BEltran

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:47 am

Wow, I would hate to be cursed like this hehe.
+++CAZZY

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 5:43 pm

Well, I got my Vive this weekend!

During this weekend I used 43 different VR applications, that way I could get a good read on how the Vive could perform.

Current basic system specifications:

Asus X99-A (current Bios)

Intel X5960 OC @ 4.25Ghz

16Gb Corsair Dom's 3000Mhz

EVGA 980 Ti

Samsung 950 M.2 SSD (were all my VR software resides)

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

______

The box arrived at 1:00 PST 5/6. FedEx driver dropped it off to me, I signed.

The box the Vive came in is extremely quality, all my parts were very secure, and each piece of hardware was flawless.

I spent all weekend using the Vive. First off, setup was a breeze. I had zero problem in regards to the setup process. 15-20 minutes max.

I had 7 other people (friends and family) try it so far.

In all honesty, I thought the display resolution would be a little cleaner, it would only seem that its just a step up from DK2. Not a huge difference IMO.

After hours of use, I can confirm some things. The Vive is comfortable if you take the time and properly adjust it. It doesn't feel as heavy as people made it out to be. The biggest issue with it I see, his the cord situation can be an annoyance. Its a heavy duty cord, but honestly I wouldn't want it any other way.. It has to last, and I'm glad its well built.

One thing I have to say: NO MORE NAUSEA!!!!!!!!! IT'S GONE! GONE! I seriously cannot believe it either. ZERO. And I played for hours. My son who couldn't use the DK2 for more then 2 minutes sitting down had ZERO issues with the Vive. Super pleasantly surprised. One thing of note, I have my sensors setup on tripods, and if someone bumped them, or if they moved in the slightest, you would feel it! super sensitive.

Vive controllers, are magnificent. a PERFECT angle for guns or stick weapons. Solidly built, and just screams quality. The internal rechargeable battery lasts a LONG time. The touch thumb pads are precise and perfectly responsive. So very much impressed. And when you see them in VR, that is exactly where they are IRL. Everyone who tried my Vive mentioned, how EXACT they were. Its not some glorified Wii controller, this is a new level of precise. I am so impressed by this controller, I honestly do not think the Oculus touch will come close to it. (hope I'm dead wrong) I could go on and on, about how the Vive is perfect and well rounded for all applications, but I wont. You have to use it, to know what I mean. There is no other way to explain it.

Like I said, I played a lot of demos/games and I will make note on the ones that gave me a lasting impression.

On Saturday, I was using Tilt Brush. It was like 2am. I accessed the steam menu and it has a link to my desktop from which I was able to play my music. I was sitting Indian style, while drawing a camp fire in a star laced environment. Absolutely tranquil and awe inspiring.

Played Vanishing Realms. I've been waiting for an RPG like Zelda in VR! There was a WOW moment when I was using a sword and shield blocking arrows with it, and actually sword fighting! Its a blast!!!! Been waiting my whole life for this!

Most of "The Lab" demos, are so quality and well programmed. Of course the Controllers again show off by simulating a bow being drawn back with the feeling of tension etc.. Outstanding and fun! It shows the Vive's power, just WAITING to be unlocked by some skilled programmers.

Hover Junkers kicks butt. Fast pace action, hiding and ducking behind your Hovercraft objects, while exchanging bullets with real people, is absolute excitement. It also has voice chat built into the game, using the Vive's mic, which worked perfectly.

My daughters absolutely LOVE Job Simulator, its hilarious to watch. I played it myself and its a lot of fun to use. Everything is so interactive!

The Brookhaven Experiment is also a "must have" the wife played and was screaming while flailing her flashlight at Zombies etc.. The detail of the gun, is amazing you really feel like you're out there. My daughters refused to play it, based on my Wifes reaction. The demo rocks, I will for sure purchase it.

I can keep going, but I wont. Besides I covered the highlights that I wanted to convey anyway. I linked my Iphone 6 plus, to the vive, and returned a call, and it works great.. along with texting someone. the built in keyboard is cool.

So, I'm really enjoying this unit to say the least. We tried to play a board game after dinner last night, and realized how boring it is now, so we put it away and went back to the Vive! Absolute entertainment!

I will be buying the Rift once they are in stock, and the touch controllers are released.

I can't believe I'm lucky enough to be living in these exciting times. Long live VR!!!!
Prue

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:51 am

Honestly even people who don't have vertigo or usually get motion sickness make these complaints about VR along with headaches and eye pains from using the device for too long. It's still one of the major criticisms about VR because a lot of testers just started to feel sick after using a headset for awhile.
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Different curses for different people.

There's a big problem with the "more realistic" and "more epic" direction that game-playing is going. It's a problem I see running through our society, and nobody seems to be able to recognize it.

Watch a kid with a "screen" for a while, and you'll see it. They get completely captivated by the process. It even happens with TV; sit somebody down in front of it, and they just stare at it, for hours.

When I was a child, I played with simple toys. Blocks, tinker-toys, toy soldiers, little cars and trucks. I made up my own stories, and I created the setting in which they happened. I used a thing called Imagination. We had a TV, and it got two channels, in black and white, and we were only allowed to watch it for an hour a day.

Screens are addictive. They command your attention, and they draw you back for more. After a while, no matter where you are or who you're with, you're interacting with the screen. People taking "selfies" of themselves in front of something, which means that they've actually turned their back on the thing they're making a picture of!

So, now, we're going to put a helmet on our heads that covers up our eyes and ears, and we're going to be even more isolated from the world around us. And we're going to encourage our families, and our children, to do the same.

Good luck with that.

Noraima Vega

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Yeah and Cave men played with Rocks...I see your view but turning your back on the future is small minded. The board here that you're expressing yourself on is from a screen, do you realize that?

You can use the device however one feels. It can be used for good or bad, just like anything else.

Me personally? Me and my family are enjoying it, and that's all the matters.
Patrick Gordon

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 6:03 pm

I've been on the "front line" of tech for quite a few years. This year marks the 40th anniversary of my first personal computer. I own a lot of screens. :)

I'm not suggesting that there's anything "wrong" with the technology. I'm just talking about the social change I see happening, and pointing out the double-edged nature of it all. I was amused by your use of the word "curse" in reference to a common problem people have with eye/brain dichotomy, and I'm suggesting that the ones who don't experience that problem may in fact have a "curse" of their own. :)

Kaley X

Post » Wed May 11, 2016 9:12 pm

No, your not the only one. I too am not a fan of the VR fad. VR holds as much interest for me as 3D TV, that is little to none. I have this feeling that VR will be a passing fad as it was in the 90's.

saxon

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion