Nuclear America

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:31 pm

im lucky i live in Austrlalia no one would bother to nuke us and if they did we could just run for the hills (or the centre of our dust bowl) considering Austrlalia is almost the size of the US
man weve been payed to be nuked lol
JaNnatul Naimah

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:07 am

Making an underground city for a near atomic war was the dreams of the Russians, and you may know, there is a kind of underground Vault has been made by the Russia government when the country was Komonist. I think It's under the city of Moscow. and it' a very big city with streets and...
all that I want to say is that the game is made on this kind of theory in 1950's: Komonists one day will attach U.S.A. but you know it was just a theory. so you see in this game that the China (that is a komonist Country) is attacked U.S.A in 2077. (Poor China!!)
and I think that it is All the U.S!
I think there must be some kind of cold war between U.S and the Eastern country now. such as china and Arabic countries and also Iran (which is my country!).
I think there is an underground city in Montreal too.

There is kinda a underground city in Montreal but not like you are thinking. They pretty much just built overtop of the old city. Its only in a museum that you can go to the old city. This is not for any nuclear war idea and if a nuke hit Montreal nobody would try to hide in the old city I think.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:51 pm

There are lots of cases of underground cities, mostly in Europe, so it is possible, its just not usually something that ever happens intentionally from a master plan
Britta Gronkowski

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:53 am

Well the Parisians could hide in their Catacombs, but they've already lost :biglaugh:
AnDres MeZa

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Actually China invades Alaska for its reserves of petrol and uranium, then America atacks using its T-I51s and begins to push into mainland China and the Chinese launched.

Also if you listen to MARGoT in the Presidential Metro it says that a meeting with the Chinese Ambassador was canceled, alluding to a massive pearl harbor like scenaroy.

The U.S. werent the aggresors, but if you watch the intor to Fallout 1 the U.S. led a particularly nasty occupation of Canada.

And the BoS really has no true claim to official power, its a bunch of reservests descendants, the Enclave would still technically be in charge. Which brings up the arguement you are alluded to in Stealing Independence, the Enclave is much like the King of Britian before the Americans revolted. He was techincally the legitamete ruler but he didnt represent the people consent much like President Eden.
Tom

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 am

Indeed. A Cold War nuke creates about a two mile wide impact crater. Everything within five miles gets burnt and blasted down, and everything within ten gets a severe ass-whuppin' with infrastructure damage. I can't fathom even New York City being hit by more than three nukes. It's just...not necessary.

I was under the impression Pittsburgh was hit by nukes though. If I'm wrong, the Pitt has its high radiation levels from fallout and factories burning/decaying? It seems odd that radiation would be more of an issue in a city that wasn't hit by a nuke as opposed to one that was.

The Three Rivers got irradiated, but there were no nukes dropped.
helen buchan

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:45 am

because of this dishonorable use of such awesome weaponry, it makes sense that we should take the current nuke stockpile and give every national government which has remained in power for at least 2 decades a total of 3 nuclear weapons(yes, every country). this is like giving gun coupons to american citizens; if everyones packing, wars will remain either conventional, or guerilla.

but hey - all i gotta do is crawl up under my desk and im safe, right? <_<

Yes, lets give NK Nukes. idiot
rheanna bruining

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:21 am

Yes, lets give NK Nukes. idiot

Don't they have enough?
Heather Kush

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:17 pm

Don't they have enough?

They were testing some about two months ago.
Laura Richards

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:43 am

...e. the reality however, is years of rainshowers of radioactive mud and ash accompanied by complete sterilization of the earth.
\

You a zoomie? If so, you should know better.

If you could penetrate a warhead 200' in compact dirt, please let me know. There is an open RFP with DARPA we can both profit from.

As for some of the other comments, it wasn't at SAC, it was at NORAD. It wasn't a signal; it was a bad test procedure. It got as far as flushing a few wings. They used to do that a several times a month anyway. however, it did have the effect of increasing systems budget for NORAD/SPACECOM.

Stone and marble is pretty resilient to overpressure. It think many of you would be surprised how well DC would handle a multi-warhead strike on it. That said, I would expect the crater at the White House to be much, much bigger, since I suspect there would have been many ground bursts targeted for that point.

No tactical nukes would have been used in this war. It would have been over long before that. Assuming a 50s/60s type profile for the weapons, the warheads would have been very high yield and quite dirty, most of which delivered by bombers. In a more modern America, the vast majority would have been sub-megaton bombs placed by missiles.

A radioactive plume would do little to disrupt communication to nuclear forces, which would be primarily by super-/ultra-high frequency with birds (DSCSII/III or later Milstar) or ELF.
Carlos Rojas

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:47 am

\

You a zoomie? If so, you should know better.

If you could penetrate a warhead 200' in compact dirt, please let me know. There is an open RFP with DARPA we can both profit from.

As for some of the other comments, it wasn't at SAC, it was at NORAD. It wasn't a signal; it was a bad test procedure. It got as far as flushing a few wings. They used to do that a several times a month anyway. however, it did have the effect of increasing systems budget for NORAD/SPACECOM.

Stone and marble is pretty resilient to overpressure. It think many of you would be surprised how well DC would handle a multi-warhead strike on it. That said, I would expect the crater at the White House to be much, much bigger, since I suspect there would have been many ground bursts targeted for that point.

No tactical nukes would have been used in this war. It would have been over long before that. Assuming a 50s/60s type profile for the weapons, the warheads would have been very high yield and quite dirty, most of which delivered by bombers. In a more modern America, the vast majority would have been sub-megaton bombs placed by missiles.

A radioactive plume would do little to disrupt communication to nuclear forces, which would be primarily by super-/ultra-high frequency with birds (DSCSII/III or later Milstar) or ELF.

Fascinating!

I don't think it's the radiation or the bombs that would kill most humans on the planet, but rather starvation and disease.

With an actual all-out nuclear war, the most devistating effect long-term to the population would be the complete disruption of global trade. Forget over-pressure, lets talk about all food shipments to hungry countries stopping. Lets talk about no new harvest for years after the war, no sanitation anywhere. Death by radiation and nuclear fire would pale compared to the billions that would starve in the aftermath. I rather think the Ghoul in Underworld had a good description of how terrible humanity became in the weeks and months after the war, and thats when most people would wish they had died instantly.

However 200 years after the war, the world would be far-greener than the game portraits, and there is absolutely nothing a nuclear war could do to stop rain from falling - end of story. So in the fictional-world of Fallout, it's safe to say that everyplace looks about the same - what the 1950's America evnisioned as a post-apocalyptic world. If you stray too-far into the real facts, it falls apart.

M
Brittany Abner

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:37 pm

I don't think it's the radiation or the bombs that would kill most humans on the planet, but rather starvation and disease.

That is correct. Strangely, that has been true for all major wars in most of human history. You definitely have the right idea.

Farming would be a bit more resilient than you portray, but the problem isn't growing the corn stalks. It's them turning into cheesy poofs and moving it to urban centers.
Jessica Raven

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:04 pm

Discussion of present political controversies is out of order: forum rule against politics. I'm going to delete or edit some posts. Next time I'll have to close the thread.
Channing

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:14 am

I know this is sightly off topic but...

If all these major cities got hit...what would have happened to New York...I haven't seen anything about what happened there. Did Ghouls take over, are there any Vaults up there. Would they have gotten hit directly or just the left over radiation turned the place into a writhing house of horrors.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:57 am

Reply to most comments:
The Enclave seems FAR more official then the BoS, but they're still trying to kill half of the survivors (or more) with the purifier. Our president is a talking robot. And I just think that after 250 years, places such as the Pitt, which were lightly hit, should have cleaned itself up, and grown a bit more resistant to the radiation. Now, they've resorted to slavery... I know this is a fictional game, but I would like some solid answers... Bethesdaaaa

Pollutants mixed with massive radiation moving in from three heavily irradiated rivers. So it has much more "unique" problems, such as Trogdlyte Degeneration.
Alexis Estrada

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 pm

I know this is sightly off topic but...

If all these major cities got hit...what would have happened to New York...I haven't seen anything about what happened there. Did Ghouls take over, are there any Vaults up there. Would they have gotten hit directly or just the left over radiation turned the place into a writhing house of horrors.

Being the most populated city in America, I imagine it was a priority target. It would be reduced to a glass crater, but due to fallout SCIENCE! it is most likely ruins a la D.C. but more destroyed.
lisa nuttall

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion