Nuclear America

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Just a quick question about the whole story behind fallout. Did the reds blow up ALL of the US of A, or only D.C.? It would take a [censored] load of nukes to blow up a continent, so I don't think that happened, but if it was just D.C., wouldn't there be the rest of America to kinda help the horrible situation there? The US Army, Navy, and AirForce did not all live in D.C.

/Discuss
Cedric Pearson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:46 pm

Well, Fallout 1 and 2 dealt with a nuked California; and Tactics took place closer to the Midwest (also largely nuked.) So, yeah... it got pretty tore up, coast to coast. Surely, some areas more than others. But generally yeah - it's all in a bad way.
Sophh

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:26 am

Just a quick question about the whole story behind fallout. Did the reds blow up ALL of the US of A, or only D.C.? It would take a [censored] load of nukes to blow up a continent, so I don't think that happened, but if it was just D.C., wouldn't there be the rest of America to kinda help the horrible situation there? The US Army, Navy, and AirForce did not all live in D.C.

/Discuss

The first two games took place out in California I think.
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:07 am

/Discuss

The Great War itself began when nuclear weapons were launched by all capable nations, (mainly America and China) and lasted around two hours. Once over, the world fell into the darkness of a nuclear holocaust. The west coast of the United States was hit first, and as a consequence some on the eastern coast were able to get into the Vaults and personal protection shelters. In the two hours of nuclear fire, the geography of the planet changed significantly. Entire mountain ranges were created as the earth buckled and moved under the strain of such cataclysmic pressure. Rivers and oceans around the world were contaminated with radioactive fallout, thus the only SAFE water to drink was what was scientifically purified. Vaults were incorporated with water purifiers to keep the occupants free of radioactive contamination.

1950s mindset. What the Fallout world is as how the people of the 1950s imagined the way a global nuclear holocaust would occur and its aftermath.
Eduardo Rosas

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:55 am

I know all this, but don't you think that there would be some remains of an army, or even a government? The capital of America, is as deadly as the final frontier!
I'm just saying, after 250 years, if the middle of the USA was hit, states such as Kansas, with no access to the ocean waters would have to move water bound in order to stay alive. (All available water for them would be toxic [censored]) This means that masses of people would have gone to places such as D.C., and I think roughly 30,000,000 people would have cleared away some of the baddies...
Marcus Jordan

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am

ICBM's reach their targets in roughly 12-20 minutes. any nuclear-laden aircraft en route would deliver in a couple hours(hence the war ending in about 2 hours). considering the number of nuclear weapons available - just to the USA - at the height of the cold war(late 70's), and that the fallout war was set to take place in the 21st century, nuking most of the US would be a small feat. the US retaliation would destroy the attackers.
IMO, the capitol wasteland is in good shape - too good a shape - considering what would be a real nuclear attack. but thats the point - the 1950's, fallout's setting, were a time of optimism...as if children could survive a nuclear attack by protecting themselves with school desks for instance. the reality however, is years of rainshowers of radioactive mud and ash accompanied by complete sterilization of the earth.
thats what makes fallout appealing to me...."It's nuclear power! what could possibly go wrong!?!?" :D
Kaylee Campbell

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:51 pm

I know all this, but don't you think that there would be some remains of an army, or even a government? The capital of America, is as deadly as the final frontier!
I'm just saying, after 250 years, if the middle of the USA was hit, states such as Kansas, with no access to the ocean waters would have to move water bound in order to stay alive. (All available water for them would be toxic [censored]) This means that masses of people would have gone to places such as D.C., and I think roughly 30,000,000 people would have cleared away some of the baddies...

There is, the Enclave and Brotherhood of Steel.

Edit: Spelling, no such thing as a broterhood as far as I know. :)
sophie

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:15 pm

Most of the water that feeds Kansas and the states around it is a Giant underground lake. It is called the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogallala_Aquifer.
matt

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:23 am

There is, the Enclave and Broterhood of Steel.

beat me to an edit comment :)
BRAD MONTGOMERY

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm

The Pitt and Point Lookout are examples of places that avoided direct hits from the bombs, but they are still very affected by the nuclear holocaust. Also, it has already been mentioned but the Enclave and BOS are the remains of the Pre-War Military and Government.
ShOrty

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 pm

It's not so much about laying a nuclear carpet around the world but if you just put, say... 10-15 nukes at every major city in America then you've got yourself a crap load of problems. You've got acid rain, radioactive dust clouds, static radiation, polluted water (Which spreads) and nuclear winter to worry about
Dona BlackHeart

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:32 pm

It's not so much about laying a nuclear carpet around the world but if you just put, say... 10-15 nukes at every major city in America then you've got yourself a crap load of problems. You've got acid rain, radioactive dust clouds, static radiation, polluted water (Which spreads) and nuclear winter to worry about

considering the yield of nukes built at the height of the cold war, i think 10-15 is mega-overkill. :D
Sunny Under

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:00 pm

Quite a scary thought we have the capability of destroying the entire world in just a few hours, good thing the world leaders understand the concept of M.A.D., don't they? :unsure:
Big Homie

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:14 am

Quite a scary thought we have the capability of destroying the entire world in just a few hours, good thing the world leaders understand the concept of M.A.D., don't they? :unsure:

If humanity decides to destroy itself, I think it deserves it if it really was that stupid.
Travis

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:04 am

considering the yield of nukes built at the height of the cold war, i think 10-15 is mega-overkill. :D

Indeed. A Cold War nuke creates about a two mile wide impact crater. Everything within five miles gets burnt and blasted down, and everything within ten gets a severe ass-whuppin' with infrastructure damage. I can't fathom even New York City being hit by more than three nukes. It's just...not necessary.

I was under the impression Pittsburgh was hit by nukes though. If I'm wrong, the Pitt has its high radiation levels from fallout and factories burning/decaying? It seems odd that radiation would be more of an issue in a city that wasn't hit by a nuke as opposed to one that was.
Kevan Olson

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:19 am

If humanity decides to destroy itself, I think it deserves it if it really was that stupid.

That's the worrying thing about nuclear weapons though. It might not be humanity deciding to destroy itself. Nuclear war could come about by an error (it nearly did on several occasions). As to the original post. It would not take a vast amount of nukes to obliterate the States, a single ICBM carries multiple warheads. 1 ICBM and you can say goodbye to 5 cities. For all its military muscle, the US could not win a war with a country like India if it turned nuclear.
Conor Byrne

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:26 pm

That's the worrying thing about nuclear weapons though. It might not be humanity deciding to destroy itself. Nuclear war could come about by an error (it nearly did on several occasions). As to the original post. It would not take a vast amount of nukes to obliterate the States, a single ICBM carries multiple warheads. 1 ICBM and you can say goodbye to 5 cities. For all its military muscle, the US could not win a war with a country like India if it turned nuclear.

Actually, India is a nuclear power. Good thing is that it is hostile with Pakistan, not USA.

Who I'm really bothered though are neutral countries, like Finland. St. Petersburg, IIRC second largest Russian city is so close to Finland that if it got nuked, say 3 times, this whole country would be irradiated if the winds were right.
Let them kill each other, those superpowers, but it bothers me that it will wipe out everyone else too, regardless of their opinion.
Tikarma Vodicka-McPherson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:14 pm

Yeah, there have been many errors and misinterpretations when it comes to the US and Russia thinking they're being attacked. This one's probably the most...humbling? I don't know:

In June of 1980, the warning system located at the SAC command post near Omaha, Nebraska, gave a signal of an incoming submarine-launched ballistic missile attack. All the B-52 bomber crews on duty received the command to take their places and turn on the engines. The airborne command post was readied for takeoff as well. Only three minutes later did it become clear that it was a false alarm, and an all-clear signal sounded. Subsequent investigation of the incident revealed that the false alarm had been caused by the malfunctioning of a 50-cent computer microchip of the early warning system. (Taken from http://www.ieer.org/russian/pubs/dlrtbk-e.html)

So, yeah. The possibility of going, "They're attacking us, fire back," which makes the other side go, "They're attacking us, fire back," is one that's pretty frightening and very real.
Tyrel

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:14 am

Sort of like the song from Nena.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14IRDDnEPR4

Just listen to the lyrics. For those whose taste is a little harder, here's the Goldfinger version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5QYIlgRg9TY
butterfly

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:33 am

Yeah, there have been many errors and misinterpretations when it comes to the US and Russia thinking they're being attacked. This one's probably the most...humbling? I don't know:

In June of 1980, the warning system located at the SAC command post near Omaha, Nebraska, gave a signal of an incoming submarine-launched ballistic missile attack. All the B-52 bomber crews on duty received the command to take their places and turn on the engines. The airborne command post was readied for takeoff as well. Only three minutes later did it become clear that it was a false alarm, and an all-clear signal sounded. Subsequent investigation of the incident revealed that the false alarm had been caused by the malfunctioning of a 50-cent computer microchip of the early warning system. (Taken from http://www.ieer.org/russian/pubs/dlrtbk-e.html)

So, yeah. The possibility of going, "They're attacking us, fire back," which makes the other side go, "They're attacking us, fire back," is one that's pretty frightening and very real.

In the mid 1960's(never bothered checking the date because i drive by the fenced area every day on my way into town) a bomber crashed in the countryside near my home(im located at an airbase flightline); it was carrying 2 nuclear weapons - one was recovered, but due to the force of the impact of the bomber as it hit the ground, the second bomb could not be recovered easily enough, and since you cant hit a nuke with a hammer to make it go off, they simply left it buried 200+ ft under the ground. However reports were released in 1984 that sited the nuclear weapon which was left there had reached stage 4 of a 5 stage arming sequence. since then a security perimeter fence has been erected and surveillence is constant. i doubt you could get out of your car and walk to the fence in the middle of the field before you were intercepted by black trailblazer SS's.

The Soviet Premiere during the late 1970's(im not going to attempt a spelling of his name, i get them wrong all the time anyway) was also confronted by a similar conundrum. the Defense Computers which monitored for incoming nuclear attacks reported birds in the air heading towards the USSR. All available information confirmed this; so, the premier was faced with a decision: Retaliate, destroying the world, or wait and see if it was a false alarm. he decided to ignore the computer warning...and it turns out, the computer was in error.

also in the 1970's a B52 crashed in southern spain, laden with nuclear weapons. although the bombs didnt go off, it forced the US to cancel their nuclear delivery training excersises due to protest from Spain's Government and other non-nuclear powers.

Moderator: Text deleted. Forum rule against politics.

but hey - all i gotta do is crawl up under my desk and im safe, right? <_<
Kaley X

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:40 am

This topic has turned into a debate
GPMG

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:24 am

to be honest, the topic invites debate. "or is it?"
Lisa

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 pm

to be honest, the topic invites debate. "or is it?"

Well that is true

In My opinion i think they had more like thousands of nukes fired at once destroying most of the planet besides china.
I just have a feeling china is doing good
Del Arte

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:36 pm

A guy on TV (Yeah, I know) a professor of some kind said that to completely LEVEL the city of Moscow you would need 9 nukes. That was the "Rule of Thumb" I was going after.

And that's a bad thing?
Dan Stevens

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:03 am

Well that is true if My opinion i think they had more like thousands of nukes fired at once destroying most of the planet besides china i just have a feeling china is doing good

correct, in a real, full-scale nuclear assault, there would be nothing left of DC at all. but this is fallout, and so i take that grain of salt and contribute it to an optimistic vision of post-apocalyptia.
BaNK.RoLL

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion