Official Multiplayer Thread

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:20 pm

Will it be PC-exclusive?

Why the hell would that matter? It would svck no matter the platform.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:05 am

What I;m saying is that the new rumor is that TESV may be the MMO itself. which means TESV will svck fat dike, especially considering the pay-per-month thing.

Where is this rumor coming from? I've been going through the links and haven't found anything that indicates more than that they had some involvement.
Lynette Wilson

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 11:53 pm

Where is this rumor coming from? I've been going through the links and haven't found anything that indicates more than that they had some involvement.

Hell if I know, somebody told me from someplace. All the same, I am fully against a TESMMO.
priscillaaa

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:55 am

Why the hell would that matter? It would svck no matter the platform.

I editied my post asking that question. I agree it would svck, but I would rent it if it's available for the ps3 just to be able to properly criticize it. Then, I would live all by myself up in the mountains, turning into a bitter old man who has been waiting for over 60 years for the prophecy of a true TES V to come true.
des lynam

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah really this "rumor" seems to be something someone made up on the spot. There is really no chance that the MMO will take the place of TESV.

See my previous post:

The Bethesda mentioned in the article is Bethesda Softworks, who is currently in court fighting with Interplay. Bethesda Game Studios isn't in court, Bethesda Softworks is. This means that the MMO they were talking about was most likely made by Zenimax Media, who's SOLE purpose for existing is to create an MMO using one of Bethesda's IPs (TES or Fallout). It would be stupid for Bethesda Game Studios to make a MMO at the same time as Zenimax Online, which leads to the only logical conclusion, that Bethesda Game Studios is NOT making an MMO, but Zenimax Online IS.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Bethesda_v._Interplay

So TESV, or whatever Bethesda Game Studios is currently making, isn't going to be an MMO.

So TESV is just fine, it WONT be an MMO.

And yes Seti, in all likelihood it will be PC exclusive.
cosmo valerga

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:03 am

Never happen, sorry. And what kind of [censored] would want that anyways?

Well it was fun to read.

I think the only real problem might be that they pull a Warcraft and never release another non-MMO TES.

I wonder how they're going to handle worldbuilding for so many people? Maybe a procedurally generated massive terrain is in order?

The fact is that like with the Novels, until we know more we're just blowing hot air.
Baby K(:

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:57 pm

Well it was fun to read.

I think the only real problem might be that they pull a Warcraft and never release another non-MMO TES.

I wonder how they're going to handle worldbuilding for so many people? Maybe a procedurally generated massive terrain is in order?

Meh, maybe we'll get lucky and it is yet another [censored] newswriter not knowing what he's talking about, like the "No plans for TES" thing.
Kevin S

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:21 pm

Yeah really this "rumor" seems to be something someone made up on the spot. There is really no chance that the MMO will take the place of TESV.

So TESV is just fine, it WONT be an MMO.

This mirrors my beliefs on the matter as I too have yet to see anything to imply otherwise.
Guy Pearce

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:30 pm

Know that they are practically the same company, or both owned by Zenimax (from what I've read here). They will not release both TESV and a MMO within a year of each other, as not to have 2 games competing for sales.
Terry

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:17 pm

Know that they are practically the same company, or both owned by Zenimax. They will not release both TESV and a MMO within a year of each other, as not to have 2 games competing for sales.

I think this MMO may either take the place of TES V permanently and we may never get the TES V we want, or it will temporarily take the place of TES V while Bethesda develops another game first and then develops TES V. I don't believe the MMO and TES V will be released within several years of each other, so Bethesda may release Fallout 4 before TES V.
Evaa

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:16 am

I still don't understand why everyone is so angry over this. We have no idea whether or not this will be what TESV is. And at no time has bethesda come out and said "Hey, we aren't making single player games anymore." For all we know this is most likely gonna be a spin off game, assuming this is TES related, like battlespire, redguard, and every other TES game that hasn't been apart of the main series. Am I the only person looking at this with absolutely no anger at all?
kiss my weasel

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:41 pm

Why? I don't like the idea of an Elder Scrolls MMO, but this is most likely not TES V. If it is, then even xXAntibodyXx and azaban would probably agree that this is an abomination. If it truly is separate from the main series, then there is nothing to be angry about.

If it's turn's out to be a TES mmo, then I'll have to try it out first. If it's as bad as WoW is now, then yes I will most likely condemn it as an abomination. If it's fun like how WoW was when it first launched, I'll gladly pay whatever they ask for it and call it a good game. I've learned not to pass judgement on things before they release. It's why I'm eager for NATAL to release. I want to try it out.
Emily Martell

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:05 pm

Because this is an official thread, it will not be locked -- unless members so badly need to cool off that the mods are left with no alternatives.

There is not enough respect for other members' opinions on display in this thread, and unless this is changed, the opportunity to participate in this discussion will be withdrawn.
Beast Attire

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:24 pm

The aritucles did say Bethesda would have a role in this. Since they are the ones who usually make TES, it would be logical to assume the part is significant. and how is it irrational?

And what kind of crap is that? How can (EDIT: Paying a monthly fee for) a bunch of trolls who can't spell constantly breaking immersion make for a halfway decent game, explain that.

I know trolls can really break immersion in a game and a montly fee adds to that anger, but there are ways to counteract that. From what I've learned in WoW:
-join a role playing only server.
-play with friends or people who do not get on your nerves.
-mute/ignore the trolls.
-turn off the chat log.

Even if this is their first shot at an mmo, I'm sure Zenimax wouldn't overlook these basic aspects to an mmo.

Edit: I forgot the word "fee".
Claire

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:29 pm

Discussion allowed on the condition that members respect each others' opinions and do not flame, shout, or otherwise show disrespect for each other.
NeverStopThe

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:55 am

If TESV is pushed back again (it was for Fallout 3) for a TES MMORPG, I will be severely pissed off.

I'm not saying Bethesda or Zenimax can't make a good MMORPG, its just in my opinion, a good MMORPG cannot be made. I have never been a fan of the genre, and probably never will. MMORPGs tend to be, in my opinion, tedious, boring, and have a poor or no story and next to no immersion. I don't like having to rely on strangers alot when playing video games. Relying on, posturing too, and socializing with very stupid people is an integral part of playing an MMORPG.

If there is a TES MMORPG, I will not buy it. Plain and simple. And I will advise everyone I know to do the same. I don't care if they are giving it away free, I wouldn't take it.

So please Bethesda, make TESV, and not just another MMORPG...

EDIT:

Do not...shout

How can we shout on an online forum? IS IT CAPS LOCK? Italics? Boldination? Underline? ALL THE ABOVE?

Sorry, I couldnt resist! :D
Brittany Abner

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:16 pm

If TESV is pushed back again (it was for Fallout 3) for a TES MMORPG, I will be severely pissed off.

I'm not saying Bethesda or Zenimax can't make a good MMORPG, its just in my opinion, a good MMORPG cannot be made. I have never been a fan of the genre, and probably never will. MMORPGs tend to be, in my opinion, tedious, boring, and have a poor or no story and next to no immersion. I don't like having to rely on strangers alot when playing video games. Relying on, posturing too, and socializing with very stupid people is an integral part of playing an MMORPG.

If there is a TES MMORPG, I will not buy it. Plain and simple. And I will advise everyone I know to do the same. I don't care if they are giving it away free, I wouldn't take it.

So please Bethesda, make TESV, and not just another MMORPG...

I won't really be pissed off. It will mainly be met with a resounding meh. :meh:

I just won't buy it and move to something else.
Siobhan Thompson

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:25 am

TESV is developed by Bethesda Game Studios (or whatever their current project is)
TES MMO is developed by Zenimax Online Studios (or whatever MMO they are working on)

So they won't interfere with eachother.
Monique Cameron

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:17 pm

Personally, I wouldn't be in favor of the idea. For me, The Elder Scrolls has always been a strictly single player experience. I mean, it's never even been party based. So this is a huge jump we're talking here. Quantum leap. I think TES would lose alot of its charm. Actually, I think it would cease to be TES entirely and simply be a game set in the same universe. TES has largely always been about atmosphere and lore for me. I'm sure alot of people here would agree. TES was never about the combat, it was never about socializing, it was never about combat strategy and tactics... And these are the kinds of things that MMO's excel at. When you bring in a bunch of other people who can talk to you and help you out and even harass you... you lose that trademark TES atmosphere. And you seriously think the standard MMO crowd would be interested in lore? From a marketing standpoint, probably a good idea *sigh* but from an artistic standpoint... NO WAY!

So I guess, in conclusion...

http://screenshots.filesnetwork.com/95/potd/1134695493_73.jpg

Kind of painful to even look at that :-/
Shannon Lockwood

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:24 am

TESV is developed by Bethesda Game Studios (or whatever their current project is)
TES MMO is developed by Zenimax Online Studios (or whatever MMO they are working on)

So they won't interfere with eachother.

They still probably wouldn't want to release them both at the same time, unless Beth's project isn't TES V, which I've realised is possible, but I'll talk about that in the Speculation Thread.

Ok, here are some of my reasons for and against an ES MMO.

Against:
1. Monthly subscription fee. Paying 60 or so dollars for a game that I can play forever is fine. Having to pay a fee once a month so I can continue to play the game is not.
2. I don't like to play MMO's anyway, as I'd rather not get addicted.
3. The entire population would consist of Battlemages, warriors, assassins, thieves and knights. Forget immersion.
4. http://elderscrolls.filefront.com/potd/75782x#1134024
5. The normal ES storyline and lore would be different in an MMO, mostly sacrificed in favour of a game focussed on team raids, loot and combat.
6. The quests would have no significance, because they'd just get reset for someone else to play.
7. What Rhayader said. It's better being a singleplayer game.
For:
1. Multiplayer. You can play an ES game with your friends.
2. We get two ES games. (In theory).
3. It would be interesting to see what they come up with.
Farrah Barry

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:00 pm

The words "Warcraft type game" worry me a bit, is it going to be point and click based? who knows but I hope not.
This is what I hope the MMO will be like, FPS only, make your own class like the rest of the series, heavily PVP based. City creation, sieges, hide-outs being able to kill any player. Full-loot servers for the more hardcoe players. Not gear based gameplay, should be player skill based. NO instanced battlegrounds completely destroys conflict between players.
Mounted Combat, siege weapons, Ship combat and a Original crafting system. Hell even if they copy star wars galaxies system I would be happy, it was the best crafting system ever made in a MMO.
Well thats my wish list.

Darkfall online is a game to look at, though it does have alot of problems with balance because there are no caps on skills. Its also pretty gear and grind dependent which kinda svcks.
http://www.darkfallonline.com/index.html
GLOW...

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:00 pm

I've felt for a long time that BioWare and Bethesda have the most to offer the MMO genre, so I look forward to this with a bright heart, so to speak.

My #1 hope, strange as it may sound, is that they nail down the physiology of the races. They've changed pretty significantly from game to game so far, each time consistent with neither the preceding game nor the present concept art, and I'd really like to see them fleshed out, especially if we're going massive.

The words "Warcraft type game" worry me a bit

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I'm pretty sure it's used an example of the genre rather than a subgenre or design philosophy therein. I've noticed that it's very commonplace commonspeak for 'massively multiplayer online game' for those many people who may know World of WarCraft but not the genre's designation. Like investors, with whom the conversation generally takes the path of:

DEVELOPER: We're making an MMO.
INVESTOR: Is that like World of WarCraft?
DEVELOPER: Well, not necessarily. I mean, there's many?
INVESTOR: [Blank stare.]
DEVELOPER: Yes, like World of WarCraft.

As far as the average person is concerned, Ultima Online and EVE Online are 'World of WarCraft-type games,' and I am very much inclined to think that this is the broad sense in which it is being used, here.
OJY

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:16 am

i have to say, i probably won't ever play any sort of online multilplayer version of TES...ever..

but you'd have to be completely blind and mentally deficient with your fingers in your ears not to expect the rich fantasy lore of the elder scrolls not to venture down this road sooner or later.

heh, my roommate is waaaay into korean-style mmo's, i'd laugh my ass off if he came into my room talking about his new akaviri dai katana....
James Hate

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 3:04 am

If they make the game similar to how EVE Online, Darkfall, or the old Ultima Online worked, I'd play it for sure. DikuMUD/EverQuest/WoW style? Not so much. That's been done to death, and it has been boring for me in the early 1990-ties already.
Lloyd Muldowney

Post » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:17 pm

Im gonna join the minority here and say that I would love if this would come true. Ive always wanted Morrowind or Oblivion to be MMO. I love the games as they are now too, ofcourse. But playing an MMO is a different thing, you dont get the feeling that you finished the game quite as easily.

My personal dream would be the entire elderscrolls world open for play. I dont remember exactly what its called but I wanna say Tamriel? Probably wrong. But it would be awesome if they opened up all the old "islands" again. I cant describe how awesome it would be to run into Balmora once again, this time with major updated graphics and with some friends, looking for people to kill. (Ofcourse my dreambethesdaMMO would have player killing :P.) More than that I havent figured out. But Im sure Bethesda, or that parent company that starts with a Z, can really deliver when it comes to gameplay. Wether its MMO or not.

I dont think that an MMO would be so bad. Its just that many people in here dont like them, and some of you havent even played MMOs before. Some of my absolute best times, in and of all the games Ive played, has been found within MMOs. Single player RPGs are fun, but not THAT fun. And they will make an ES:V anyway, so why whine about this MMO?
Isabel Ruiz

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion