Official "The Infernal City": An Elder Scrolls Novel

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:21 pm

Honestly?
I'm just angry they blew up Morrowind.
The Nerevarine is gonna be pissed...

Why? The nerevarine was the catalyst to the moon falling.
Syaza Ramali

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:21 pm

Why? The nerevarine was the catalyst to the moon falling.

Doesn't mean I'm not a tad annoyed when I walk out to cross the road and get knocked down by a bus I hadn't noticed. :P
Gemma Woods Illustration

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:21 am

Doesn't mean I'm not a tad annoyed when I walk out to cross the road and get knocked down by a bus I hadn't noticed. :P

If you looked both ways like we've all probably been taught since we could first speak, you'd have seen the bus. If you'd have read the loveletter (or, like me, had people sum it up) it'd be just like that.

Now I have two things to speculate about when they'll be announced. I want book 2 and TESV, and while we all know both will happen, nobody is sure of when.
xemmybx

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:42 am

Honestly?
I'm just angry they blew up Morrowind.
The Nerevarine is gonna be pissed...

I don't think we'll hear from the Nerevarine again. Bethesda "put him/her on the bus" by sending the Nerevarine to Akavir (which was realistic to me; I can picture the Nerevarine as an amateur explorer who wanted to see what civilizations exist on Akavir).

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LongBusTrip
Multi Multi

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:54 am

unless I'm severerly mistaken the description of hircines realm had a moon right? please confirm or deny for me I don't have the book on me to check but I thought I read something like that yet I might be mistaken thanks very much
JAY

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:45 am

unless I'm severerly mistaken the description of hircines realm had a moon right? please confirm or deny for me I don't have the book on me to check but I thought I read something like that yet I might be mistaken thanks very much

Yes, a moon that shines silvery is mentioned.
Kaylee Campbell

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 am

I have finally read the book, it was alright, nothing spectacular, but not a total waste of time.

But I'm really having a tough time taking any of this book as "cannon" as todd has said it should be taken.
I mean how am I supposed to take anything seriously that was written by somebody that does something like this....

"No," Urvwen said, lowering his voice. Something...." (pg.37 of my book)

How is it that here we have one huge no-no, a male with a name that is broken down in elvish to
Ur (heat or fire) v (dont know why thats there as it dosent fit elvish) and finally the worst part, wen (meaning maiden or woman).
So it basicaly is a male character named hot woman? Fire maiden?

So im supposed to take this book as "cannon"? Even with things that are completely wrong?

Im so confilcted by this, because if say, one of my friends was telling me a story of something that had happened to them, and they
said something that was so completely wrong, and I knew it was wrong, I would have a tough time believing any of their story after that.

There better be a damn good explination for that one down the road, or I may lose all my confidence in what is known as being "cannon" in the ES series.

And no, it's probably not a joke by Greg Keyes that he thought nobody would get, or even notice, Just a collosal (Naughty words :whistle: ) on his part.
scorpion972

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:00 pm

what is completely wrong in the book?
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:03 am

snip

That's why you don't want to take it as canon? Because Keyes made a name wrong? Keyes made the story and Bethesda helped fact check it, but while some things like names may not be accurate, the major events are going to be considered canon.
Bird

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:39 am

And because mortal creatures are sooo good about getting names "correct" :/

Who is to say Urvwen had a "normal" childhood? Perhaps he wasn't named by mer, but by a man! Given TES racial characteristics, is there any reason to discount the possibility of daddy not wanting to call him "Joe", but screwing up the Meric name?
Bad News Rogers

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:19 am

Has anyone ever told you that parents sometimes give their kids really bad names, such as http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,479904,00.html
Dan Wright

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:10 am

And because mortal creatures are sooo good about getting names "correct" :/

Who is to say Urvwen had a "normal" childhood? Perhaps he wasn't named by mer, but by a man! Given TES racial characteristics, is there any reason to discount the possibility of daddy not wanting to call him "Joe", but screwing up the Meric name?

Also, Ur is from Dunmeri. There are a lot of Bosmer that start with Ur-.

As for feminine naming, anyone ever met a guy with hippie parents? If his name is to be believed, he's likely some kind of Bosmer. They are major hippes/cannibals.
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:21 am

And no, it's probably not a joke by Greg Keyes that he thought nobody would get, or even notice, Just a collosal (Naughty words :whistle: ) on his part.

"ur" is not fire in elven, "molag" is. Ur is a name (Dagoth Ur), or simply a sylable. "wen" is nothing in elder scrolls elven, what it is in Sindarin has no bearing on elder scrolls lore.
DeeD

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 pm

Here's a question, if Vuhon succeeds and uses White-Gold Tower to make Umbriel its own, fully self-sufficient Daedric realm, what does that mean for the future?
GLOW...

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:00 am

Here's a question, if Vuhon succeeds and uses White-Gold Tower to make Umbriel its own, fully self-sufficient Daedric realm, what does that mean for the future?

He'll break away from Oblivion and Umbriel will be a part of the mortal plane. Then he'll be able to land the city wherever he pleases, and who knows what will happen after that. He wont keep it floating because he said himself he doesn't want to use more souls than necessary. I personally hope he lands it right away and destroys Imperial City, erasing the mistake Bethesda made in Oblivion. It'd open up a chance to go back to Cyrodiil in a future game and see Umbriel, which is much more interesting than the Imperial City was in Oblivion.
m Gardner

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:46 pm

He'll break away from Oblivion and Umbriel will be a part of the mortal plane. Then he'll be able to land the city wherever he pleases, and who knows what will happen after that. He wont keep it floating because he said himself he doesn't want to use more souls than necessary. I personally hope he lands it right away and destroys Imperial City, erasing the mistake Bethesda made in Oblivion. It'd open up a chance to go back to Cyrodiil in a future game and see Umbriel, which is much more interesting than the Imperial City was in Oblivion.

I thought it wasn't that he wanted to keep it floating but to keep it in Oblivion, just not Clavacus Vile's part of it. Since if he does land it a mortal servant of Vile could find and kill him, where if it was well and truly his realm then he would be basically invincible.
Rude_Bitch_420

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:47 am

I thought it wasn't that he wanted to keep it floating but to keep it in Oblivion, just not Clavacus Vile's part of it. Since if he does land it a mortal servant of Vile could find and kill him, where if it was well and truly his realm then he would be basically invincible.

Nah, he said that because he's still in Vile's realm, he's still vulnerable to assassination. On page 282, he said he'll use the tower to break free and "bring Umbriel to rest somewhere." He's more at risk of assassination being in Vile's realm than he would be in the mortal realm, or so it seems.
Becky Palmer

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:12 am

Nah, he said that because he's still in Vile's realm, he's still vulnerable to assassination. On page 282, he said he'll use the tower to break free and "bring Umbriel to rest somewhere." He's more at risk of assassination being in Vile's realm than he would be in the mortal realm, or so it seems.

But in his own realm he would have absolutely nothing to fear. I plan on re-reading the book yet again soon, so I may come to a different conclusion but I thought he wanted to break away from Vile's realm as you say, but then have Umbriel become its own realm.
jess hughes

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:30 am

But in his own realm he would have absolutely nothing to fear. I plan on re-reading the book yet again soon, so I may come to a different conclusion but I thought he wanted to break away from Vile's realm as you say, but then have Umbriel become its own realm.

Maybe you're right, I just don't remember him saying anything specific about it. I have to re-read it myself one of these days.
JeSsy ArEllano

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:31 am

I read it back when it first came out but does he ever explain how he plans to use the tower?

And I agree about wanting the IC destroyed, hopefully it takes the new empire with it :)
Heather beauchamp

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:01 am

All this talk of the tower makes me wonder: what would happen if White Gold Tower gets destroyed? Does anything happen?
quinnnn

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:32 am

I wanted to ask the same thing, I think I read a while back that the towers hold reality together or something along those lines :/
Tarka

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:49 am

All this talk of the tower makes me wonder: what would happen if White Gold Tower gets destroyed? Does anything happen?

Tamriel, Your getting a second date with chronic date-murderer, Mehrunes Dagon.
Adam

Post » Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:05 pm

second? more like 245th.

At either rate, I'm not sure how much significance the white gold still holds. Oblivion left it pretty beat up. I don't think it will lead to the end of the world or anything, especially now that the Amulet (i.e. connection to Lorkhan) is gone.
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:06 am

second? more like 245th.

At either rate, I'm not sure how much significance the white gold still holds. Oblivion left it pretty beat up. I don't think it will lead to the end of the world or anything, especially now that the Amulet (i.e. connection to Lorkhan) is gone.

There's the statue
Brandi Norton

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion