Our own opening titles?

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:58 pm

Can we make our own titles like the ones in the opening cutscene? I would love the ability to make titles fade in on the screen as the player enters my land. However, I've looked around all the quests, and the scripts (To the best of my knowledge) for the opening, and actually haven't been able to find anything that controls the opening cutscene, nonetheless a command to make those titles appear.

There is http://www.creationkit.com/StartTitleSequence_-_Game, but that appears to be some special thing for the main menu titles.

Does anyone know if we can do that and what the commands might be? I would LOVE to do this if it's at all possible, as it would be far more convenient and flashy than how I've done opening titles in previous mods. (By playing a bink video :F)

Thanks,
Alexander J. Velicky
Angela

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 pm

You could make a .BIK video and play it with http://www.creationkit.com/PlayBink_-_Game. The intro sequence is all game, the player being the cart I believe.

Edit: Appears the text is not a BINK.
Edit2: Appears the overlay is a special menu called by http://www.creationkit.com/ShowTitleSequenceMenu_-_Game

Perhaps SKSE could enable a similar, configurable function, if we're lucky. You could overlay text on a BINK (might be the way to go).
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:52 pm

You could make a .BIK video and play it with http://www.creationkit.com/PlayBink_-_Game. The intro sequence is all game, the player being the cart I believe.

Edit: Appears the text is not a BINK.
Yeah, it's not a bink. I've done binks in previous games, but it wont really work here. In previous games I've had a fancy cutscene, the players controls are locked out, and things happen. At some point during all that stuff, I sneak in a bink video with some quick text on it. However, here, the player opens a gate, thus opening their view up to see my entire land looming out ahead of them. It would be a wonderous moment for some titles to fade in, like my name or the name of the mod. A bink would constrict this feel severely, as well as being either poor quality, or immense in size.

The entire cart intro is ingame, and the titles are done somehow. I just need to know if it's something I can utilize with my own titles, or if it's hardcoded or something silly like that.
Leonie Connor

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:55 pm

In the quest "MQ101" at stage 10, the script does a command Game.ShowTitleSequenceMenu() and in the script for that quest which is "MQ101QuestScript", it has the code
Event OnUpdate()    If TitleSequenceCount == 0;         debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 1")        Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence1")        TitleSequenceCount = 1        RegisterForSingleUpdate(5)    ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 1;         debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 2")        Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence2")        TitleSequenceCount = 2        RegisterForSingleUpdate(12)    ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 2;         debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 3")        Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence3")        TitleSequenceCount = 3        RegisterForSingleUpdate(5)    ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 3;         debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 4")        Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence4")        TitleSequenceCount = 4        RegisterForSingleUpdate(10)    ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 4        Game.HideTitleSequenceMenu()    EndIfEndEvent

So if you can find where this "sequence1" and "sequence2" come from and edit them/make new versions of them, it seems like it's possible. Could be that it's hardcoded though.
Emmie Cate

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:57 am

In the quest "MQ101" at stage 10, the script does a command Game.ShowTitleSequenceMenu() and in the script for that quest which is "MQ101QuestScript", it has the code
Event OnUpdate()	If TitleSequenceCount == 0;		 debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 1")		Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence1")		TitleSequenceCount = 1		RegisterForSingleUpdate(5)	ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 1;		 debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 2")		Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence2")		TitleSequenceCount = 2		RegisterForSingleUpdate(12)	ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 2;		 debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 3")		Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence3")		TitleSequenceCount = 3		RegisterForSingleUpdate(5)	ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 3;		 debug.trace(self + "Playing Title Card 4")		Game.StartTitleSequence("Sequence4")		TitleSequenceCount = 4		RegisterForSingleUpdate(10)	ElseIf TitleSequenceCount == 4		Game.HideTitleSequenceMenu()	EndIfEndEvent

So if you can find where this "sequence1" and "sequence2" come from and edit them/make new versions of them, it seems like it's possible. Could be that it's hardcoded though.
Ah, yes! It appears I was on the right track, just slightly confused. I'm searching the CK and all the BSA's for the sequences. It appears this is what I need, and we can call the command (Obviously), I just need to figure out what the sequences are, and where they are stored. The wiki says "Currently "Sequence1", "Sequence2", "Sequence3" and "Sequence4" exist." which makes me think that it's something defined within the CK, but so far my search has turned up nothing.
Hayley Bristow

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:10 pm

I tried looking and couldn't find it myself. Glad I could help though, and good luck with this!

EDIT: It seems like the creationkit wiki implies that it's an animation, yet it isn't in the animation BSA at all.
Anna Krzyzanowska

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:43 am

Yeah, I'd start by looking through MQ101, which is the intro quest...it has to be in there somewhere, the trick is finding out where.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 pm

How about ShowTitleSequenceMenu()? is there an actual menu you can pick things from?
Taylor Thompson

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 am

How about ShowTitleSequenceMenu()? is there an actual menu you can pick things from?
No, I think that just enables the title menu area to display things, as they disable it (Hide) at the end of the opening cutscene.

What I'm thinking, for why we cannot find 'Sequence1' anywhere is this; It is something defined in the Creation Kit, but it's Name, and EditorID are two separate things. So while it's called 'Sequence1' its actual editorID (What we need to look for) may be like 'MQ101SQ1' or something. At least I hope it's that simple.

Someone has to know. Maybe we can get a dev in here. (If I'm lucky :angel: )
Adam Baumgartner

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 am

Well "Sequence1", "Sequence2", "Sequence3" and "Sequence4" are string variable being sent to a function called "StartTitleSequence" in the Game script. It's probably stored in the BSA files somewhere, possibly as an animated *.Nif file or any video format that supports transparency...the TitleSequenceMenu may just act like an embedded video overlay.
Klaire

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:53 am

What I'm thinking, for why we cannot find 'Sequence1' anywhere is this; It is something defined in the Creation Kit, but it's Name, and EditorID are two separate things. So while it's called 'Sequence1' its actual editorID (What we need to look for) may be like 'MQ101SQ1' or something. At least I hope it's that simple.

That's what I'm thinking as well. I filtered everything with "MQ" in it and looked through it, but it doesn't appear to be there.
Sharra Llenos

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:08 pm

Well "Sequence1", "Sequence2", "Sequence3" and "Sequence4" are string variable being sent to a function called "StartTitleSequence" in the Game script. It's probably stored in the BSA files somewhere, possibly as an animated *.Nif file or any video format that supports transparency...the TitleSequenceMenu may just act like an embedded video overlay.
But we have searched all the BSA's for things called 'Sequence1' and they aren't there, nor is it a loose file floating around the Data folder. This leads me to believe that it's either hardcoded straight into the engine (Which seems odd), or it's defined in the Creation Kit somewhere...
Far'ed K.G.h.m

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:03 am

But we have searched all the BSA's for things called 'Sequence1' and they aren't there, nor is it a loose file floating around the Data folder. This leads me to believe that it's either hardcoded straight into the engine (Which seems odd), or it's defined in the Creation Kit somewhere...

Ah, but just because the string being sent is "Sequence1" doesn't mean the file is called anything like that...for example:

Function StartTitleSequence(String WhichSequence)   If WhichSequence == "Sequence1"	   RunVideo(TESVT01)   elseif   If WhichSequence == "Sequence2"	   RunVideo(TESVT02)   elseif   If WhichSequence == "Sequence3"	   RunVideo(TESVT03)   elseif   If WhichSequence == "Sequence4"	   RunVideo(TESVT04)   endifEndFunctionVideoClip Property TESVT01 AutoVideoClip Property TESVT02 AutoVideoClip Property TESVT03 AutoVideoClip Property TESVT04 Auto ; Who knows what these properties are assigned to? Could be "SKYRIMNameReveal.WMV" for all we know...
Nina Mccormick

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:15 pm

Wait, where did you find that? Or is that just an example you made up?
Sophie Morrell

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:39 am

Wait, where did you find that? Or is that just an example you made up?

The latter...just demonstrating how the strings being sent to the function don't necessarily relate to the name of the files being referenced...
Carys

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 am

The latter...just demonstrating how the strings being sent to the function don't necessarily relate to the name of the files being referenced...
True but it seems like a rather roundabout less optimized thing to make a function directing the game to a new command (Like RunVideo) depending on the input string of another function. Why say 'ShowTitleSequence(Blablabla)' when you can just say 'RunVideo(Blablabla)', right?

I would have to assume that Sequence01 is defined in the CK, or a hardcoded title sequence, which doesn't make sense. I don't know why they would hardcode something like that. :(
Jenna Fields

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:14 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something in the Interface.bsa, given the way they used Flash to overlay text in other game situations (dialogue, quest messages, etc.).
Marie

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:46 pm

I would have to assume that Sequence01 is defined in the CK, or a hardcoded title sequence, which doesn't make sense. I don't know why they would hardcode something like that. :(

It would be simpler to hardcode it than it would be to code in CK functions for it, especially if they only need it for that one little part
Lory Da Costa

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 am

It would be simpler to hardcode it than it would be to code in CK functions for it, especially if they only need it for that one little part

That's depressing. I really hope that's not the case.
Casey

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I doubt they're hardcoded, since storing the data in a non-encoded format would be an incredible pain. The files may be there, but with names that don't immediately broadcast their identity.
Jessica Colville

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:59 am

I doubt they're hardcoded, since storing the data in a non-encoded format would be an incredible pain. The files may be there, but with names that don't immediately broadcast their identity.
Potentially... It would be super awesome if we just got a dev to jump in here real fast to just give us a headsup on this whole thing.

:read: *Casts Scroll of Summon Developer* :happy:
dav

Post » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:42 pm

:read: *Casts Scroll of Summon Developer* :happy:

*fizzle*

Um... Where am I? How did I get here? Am I supposed to be here? :confused:

I also had a look at this a while ago. As I see it, StartTitleSequence is used to send commands to "interface/titles.swf".
When you add an empty file with that name there won't be a title.

So unless we want to create a TC we'd need a way to start a custom swf file by script for a mod title.
Of course there are alternatives, like a nif with your mod's title that pops up in front of the player, or maybe even an image space?
Natalie Taylor

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 am

*fizzle*

Um... Where am I? How did I get here? Am I supposed to be here? :confused:

I also had a look at this a while ago. As I see it, StartTitleSequence is used to send commands to "interface/titles.swf".
When you add an empty file with that name there won't be a title.

So unless we want to create a TC we'd need a way to start a custom swf file by script for a mod title.
Of course there are alternatives, like a nif with your mod's title that pops up in front of the player, or maybe even an image space?
Dangit. My scrolls appears to have malfunctioned. Oh well, you'll do. :P

I extracted Titles.swf but I have some bad news. (In my very limited knowledge). I cannot play the file, for some reason. It opens but nothing will play. Also, swf is an encoded video format, meaning we could not simply add additional titles and append our sequences to the end. We would need to remake the original 4, as well as having ours at the end. Also, I havent a clue how to do all that, as I'm not experienced with Flash.

So. Basically I'm (We're) out of luck, unless anyone else knows something more?
Andy durkan

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:59 am

I'd ask the http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1342812-relz-skyui guys for advice, they were releasing the first UI-mod (Inventory) quite some time ago.
Kevin Jay

Post » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:28 am

Was it able to be done in the end?
Charlie Ramsden

Next

Return to V - Skyrim