To play or not to play - Skyrim in 2016? Yes or no?

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:06 pm

My Skyrim is full of bad scripts and stupid mods and I can’t run the game smoothly. It crashes, has long loads, long save times and random ridiculousness. However, I have wanted to play through the game for a long time and perhaps even record some gameplay.

Before I spend hours, days, possibly weeks fixing my buggy Elderscrolls, do you guys think it’s worth it? It’s 2016 and I know the game is old, I just have some great ideas for gameplay videos and I want to give them a shot! Oh and I miss Inigo, dressing mannequins, enchanting bows and avoiding mammoths..

Soooo... I’d love some reasons why I should or shouldn't play it in 2016! And if Skyrim gameplay videos are even worth doing these days, seeing as most people know the game back to front already.

Thanks in advance guys and gals!! :D

Ellie English

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:07 am

A game doesn't become worthless just because it is a few years old. The way I see it, if it was worth playing five years ago it is worth playing now and it will still be worth playing ten years from now.

Ask yourself if you enjoyed it the last time you played it. If you did, play it again.

Queen of Spades

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:53 pm

Wise words XD Well I did enjoy it when I could get it to work smoothly. And I guess that's why you have people still enjoying games like Morrowind and Fallout 1 & 2 :D

Erich Lendermon

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:58 pm

Hopefully the PC version of The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition on PC will be a whole lot more stable because it will have a 64-bit executable and much more complex mods and bigger mods can be created.

Also who cares if a video game is five years old, ten years old or thirty years old.

I still play The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind to this day today still and it's fourteen years old this year.

I still play Unreal to this day today still and it's eighteen years old this year.

Etc.

Alister Scott

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:16 pm

Mods hardly make the game unstable unless you don't know how to handle them. SE will just enable more and more complex. Stability improvement should regard the newer machines, nothing more, they ain't adding more patches or anything.

Just play it if you want to. :P If your game is unstable beyond your ability to repair it just reinstall the whole thing, and don't overdo with the mods right away. Start with patches, skse and SkyUI, and then add them one by one as you play and see what mod you loved are are now missing. Use LOOT and clean mods, otherwise you'll lose your mind over instability again.
Brentleah Jeffs

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:30 am

This. As for stable - I'm using my original release install (because I don't have the bandwidth to redownload stuff like this); I still have all the original saves somewhere too. But when I started playing again a year ago, I uninstalled all the mods that were in the setup, then bought the DLCs (except for the HD graphic one) and installed them, then got USLEEP installed. I started over with brand new saves, NMM, LOOT, and Profile Manager.

Now, I have around 200 mods, and my game is so stable I don't even have CTDs after playing for 10 or 12 hours. I usually have 12 to 15 different girls in various stages of play. Skyrim is still the most fun I've ever had in any game, and I STILL haven't seen every corner of the map.

But if it wasn't fun before, you might find it's still not fun. That would be the thing for you to really consider.

Alan Cutler

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:33 pm

Got to agree with the posts above, if the game is "broken" due to outdated and mishandled mods, it's a good idea to simply do fresh install. Uninstall the game, delete data folder and then reninstall.

As for mods start with the basics, Unofficial Patch, SkyUI, etc. as already recommended.

Undisclosed Desires

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am

I found it incredibly entertaining 5 years ago, but also ridiculously frustrating dealing with Bethesda. I'm playing it right now on an offline PS3, and have more content than the soon to be released PS4 version. So will I be playing it? Yep. On PS4? Nope.
vicki kitterman

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:20 pm

If your game is unstable... ya might want to remove all mod's and start over. I often use mod's that "break" the game.. I delete the character, un-check the mod and start over. It's called "testing"...sometimes I don't test as long as I need to..or I find that "A" mod does not work with "B" mod, even though the mod page does not say so...happens, Mod Author's can not check their mod against every MOD people might use... .

Upgrade your Unofficial patches, they have worked on them... added...made better.

Dan Wright

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:16 pm

Sounds like you could use a fresh re-install if your installed Skyrim is messing up so much. Or you can wait until November and give Skyrim Special Edition (remaster) a try.

Beth Belcher

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:41 am

Mods can make the game unstable if the mod was not correctly made and some mods can have bugs and glitches. Some mods were made using some buggy tools before the Creation Kit was out.

If OP is having issues running with mods and wants to come back.

I would do a clean uninstall of the game and delete all the mods and game saves. Test out the vanilla game for a few hours to see how it runs and then go from there and start with a another character. Likely start with the unofficial patch. SKSE and SkyUI might be needed depending on what mods you might want to use.

Then there is also the Remastered version of Skyrim coming out at the end of October. It might take some time for mods to be ported over especially the ones that need SKSE. I am waiting for the remaster before playing Skyrim again. I personally do not need mods and a good portion of the time I prefer playing Skyrim without mods even without the unofficial patch and SkyUi.

darnell waddington

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I will play Skyrim again as soon as my new pc arrives home.

Stephy Beck

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:26 pm

Reinstall Skyrim, download safe mods and use loot.

ShOrty

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:33 am

Agreed and I also suggest to back up that original game folder if you have the 13GB+ space for it. Then you have a fresh install ready to go if the game gets too buggy again :)

kat no x

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:47 pm

Also, some mods may work fine on their own but cause crashes when used together or when loaded in the wrong order.

But with some care it's possible to have a stable modded game. Clean install and careful modding and all. Good advice here.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:06 pm

Tbh for me Skyrim was much more stable with the patches AND another 70+ mods on top (rarely went over 100, but that happened too) than when I played the game in it's completely vanilla state.

clelia vega

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 pm

I haven't seen many others who have as many multiple characters as I do. Its another way I keep Skyrim fresh and play different ones according to my mood. My games very stable also with about the same number of mods as you.

Erich Lendermon

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:58 am

Try looking at Reddit/Skyrimmods, lots of helpful advice and the sidebar guides are really useful for setting up a stable game, including an outdated/dangerous mod list. Good guides on Nexus as well from DonProtein, Neuba and Sthaagg.

You can get a stable game using Crashfixes/Bugfixes, ENBoost and Bethini, and there are so many mods available that your game can always feel fresh. A game in which you can tweak everything, from graphics to UI to crafting to the slightest nuances of difficulty will always be worth playing.

Hannah Whitlock

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:23 pm

Yes play Skyrim it plays very well just try new strategic things to do. Like playing with a certain strategy in mind and tactics.
Trent Theriot

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:33 pm

I fully intend to keep playing skyrim until the next TES game comes out. I have plenty of other games but to date have not played one that I enjoy playing as much as skyrim. I do have to say though that if it wasn't for all the available quality mods I probably wouldn't still be playing. Yes mods can create problems but these can usually can be dealt with by methodical testing. I am currently running a moderately stable skyrim with almost 200 mods admittedly many of them are weapons and armour as I am hopelessly addicted to weapon mods but still its a lot and its more or less stable.

Mizz.Jayy

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:31 pm

Definitely yes. I love Skyrim.
Harry Hearing

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:45 pm

regardless if there was no remastered version this one would keep on playing Skyrim .....& why stop?........below is why this one keeps & will keep playing

talking from a PC prospective

every time I start a new game its NEVER the same with the one played before, there is always some new texture, weather, overhaul, new lands, menus, body face hair animations ext ext .....

but what amazes me is YES Im playing the same game over and over ............. the thing is the story is never the same .............I can be who & what I want and Skyrim will give me a quest line that will support this type of behavior ......I don't have to be the Dragonborn every time ........I can be a Thief or an assassin, a companion, mage ext ext ext there are over 100'reds of builds to chose from (just read the threads).........and with over 300 installed mods on my PC, to play around with and just about control every aspect of the game from how it looks, how I look & how it can be played................

I am lucky to have a good PC Rig ........& will be upgrading very soon .......so am in sort of a way looking forwards to the new version of Skyrim

will this one buy the new remastered version ?............Ohhhh YES ..................Why?

#1 reason ...........all the new visual changes and the close to ENB quality graphics, that's all this one really cares about, it will make this ones life so much easier (hopes).............this is my personal opinion and my hopes and dreams, I make & post videos with the best music scores .............this ones problem in all her videos is that is she is not Tony Stark ...........visual quality has always been a problem ..............and has problems achieving this, the game play is out of this world, that's why im waiting for the remastered ..............I'm hoping Bethesda fixes my biggest problem ............& I will remake a video for every quest all over again in the remastered version, & legendary

thats just a extra reason for my self to keep on playing Skyrim

Jamie Lee

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:20 pm

Honestly if your playing on ps4 I would have to say no if you already own a copy anywhere else because as it sits all that it does is a minor graphics improvement which to me means the game is worth no where near the 60$ it would cost to pick up.... unless they add new content or find a way to compromise or add mods I would highly recommend any person playing on ps4 not pick the game up as its totally pointless to pay the extra money for practically nothing....

Bereket Fekadu

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:14 am

I have it on the PS3 and I love it bugs and all. Sure the bugs are a pain and there are funny ones as well. Like the flying Mammoth and the flying dragon skeleton. When the special edition comes to the PS4 I for one will buy it.

Rachel Cafferty

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:13 pm

Not sure why the OP even nas a question about it really....Skyrim is one of the greatest imagination unleashing sandboxes out there....sure play it in 2016...play it NOW.....all the time....hell I only sleep because I have to :D

As for making your gameplay videos when the "tube" is already flooded with lets plays.....well....do you enjoy making them? Does it give you pleasure to share your experiences? Does anybody watch them? If the answere to these questions is yes....then it's a no brainier....get filming :)
Brad Johnson

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion