Please help: Severe LOD issues with Crysis 2

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:31 pm

That is not my video. The bug happens in all settings ( extreme, high etc...) and when we could edit draw distance too . It happens on all maps , everytime the server load a map beside the first . It doesn't happen in solo . Just before the patch 1.4 I figured how to get rid of it by binding a config with high draw distance to a key , and press that key after each loading of a map . Sometimes the settings reverted during gameplay , and I had to press it again .
Thank you for your attention !
lillian luna

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:26 am

Sorry, quoted the wrong post :)

To be honest, the video in the OP looks fairly normal. Sure, the LOD popping is obvious when you're looking for it but the LOD system is used to keep performance optimal. The further away these objects pop, the worse the performance.

Though i totally agree that if you're running "Extreme" settings then the LOD should be more biased towards visuals than performance. I've read that people used custom configs to improve the LOD distances but here i'm reading that this wasn't possible, so you can understand my confusion on the issue.
Kortniie Dumont

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:01 am

What we need is access to the ratio command(s) for culling objects. All the ones I have tried do not solve the issue.

Personally I don't think the game (especially a Crytek/Crysis game) should determine for us what that ratio will be or at least not limit/restrict us when even on "EXTREME" this is still an issue.

Cry-Adam you said it's for performance but the gamers that spend the money to have killer rigs and are interested in digging into the game files to improve the visuals (at the cost of FPS that we can afford to loose) were able to do so with the first two games...why not now? I don't mean to imply that we spent the money so you owe us but that you have set a standard in the past so it's frustrating that we can't have the options if we decide to utilize them now. It's a major let down and it would really improve the game if this weren't the case.

I'm sure I don't even need to outline that so I apologize if that comes off patronizing but the important part of it to me is my dissapointment with the games limitations.

Ross Thomas

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:44 am

FYI, we're looking into the CVars here: http://www.gamesas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=25323

Cheers!
Jenna Fields

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:44 pm

I can assure you that there is a problem : on skyline on extreme i've got the paintings on walls who pop in and out as i move across the room, and we 're speaking of tiny rooms here . THe cvar for the draw distance did work in solo when put in autoexec , but in multiplayer I had to load them afterward via a bind , otherwise they didn't work.
Beside the fact that my computer could handle much higher draw distance ( up to 200 , with Lodmin 0 ) , I can assure you that when the LOD bug in MP , IT become ridiculous. I'm not comparing to crysis 1 here , but to every other games made since 7 years or so ; you seriously don't have to "look for it", every prop switch through all the state of details as I move .
Please consider either fixing the problem or unlock the cvar for a range of authorized values , It really keep me from playing the MP .
( plus we're talking about one beautiful game here, advertised as one , so let us bring down our computer on their knees)
Cash n Class

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:09 am

It's the game man it does that. If it only happnes with the one game don't waste your time and get frustrated with it. Crysis 2 has some really cool effects (the smoke and rolling smoke in this game are the best I have ever seen). But yet some of the things in Crysis 2 are simply 10 years old. I mean come on POP UP EFFECTS?! I thought those were gone since playstation 2 came out? I haven't noticed pop up effects in a game since....well I can't remember the last game I played that had the pop up effect. No volumetric lighting effects either hmm. Down right criminal!
Tania Bunic

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:28 pm

Sorry, quoted the wrong post :)

To be honest, the video in the OP looks fairly normal. Sure, the LOD popping is obvious when you're looking for it but the LOD system is used to keep performance optimal. The further away these objects pop, the worse the performance.

Though i totally agree that if you're running "Extreme" settings then the LOD should be more biased towards visuals than performance. I've read that people used custom configs to improve the LOD distances but here i'm reading that this wasn't possible, so you can understand my confusion on the issue.

I think the problem is Adam that performance wise Crysis2 = A+ no question and kudos to Crytek for that achievement, but quality wise (even on extreme) Crysis2 = D- and that's being kind.

Low end/legacy PC hardware market is happy.
Anyone who uses PC components built in the last 2yrs is.... frankly not happy.

Promises about CryEngine3 appear to be poorly represented in Crysis2. I know Crytek are making steps to address this but come on already smoke and mirrors goes only so far....
Marnesia Steele

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:31 am

Any news on a fix for this bug?
Noely Ulloa

Previous

Return to Crysis