Please help: Severe LOD issues with Crysis 2

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:01 am

Please note that the issue I am having is not directly related to Crysis 2 itself, but is also an issue I had experienced with the first Crysis. I assumed I just f***ed something up with it, or the engine just hated my PC for whatever reason and that it would be fixed in Crysis 2. However, much to my dismay, it isn't.

So, after extensive searching around, I can't find anybody else who has this problem. This happens in both Crysis 1 and Crysis 2, however it doesn't occur all the time. I have no idea what triggers it in Crysis 1, but in Crysis 2, it happens when there is a map change on multiplayer (I've hardly tested singleplayer). When I join a game for the first time, the maps appear to be working as they should. However, when there is a change of map, the LOD in the game completely screw up with objects only just changing to their highest detail level when I'm very near them, and the transition is very noticeable. This is greatly ruining the experience of the game for me of all things.

Here is a video demonstrating the issue on the map Lighthouse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4mn3TT8K9Y&feature=channel_video_title

Every single other game for me works just fine. Crysis 1 and 2 (and possibly other CryEngine games) are the only games giving me this issue. Interestingly enough, I only recall this occurring since I had created an autoexec.cfg on both the games. Crysis 2 I had done so with the advanced tweaking tool. However, removing the autoexec.cfg does not resolve this, the problem just sticks. I haven't tested to see if uninstalling and reinstalling works yet.

Also, this may or may not be related, but in Crysis 2 (but not in the demo or Crysis 1, where I DID NOT encounter this issue) I also get some slight flickering textures. Specifically, on the main menu, the water and some foliage. This can also be seen in the video.

I can only suspect this has something to do with way the HD6870 renders the games, although reviews of the card suggest otherwise. I have the latest drivers installed. I thought it might be the Catalyst AI (which since some driver update can not be disabled) causing this issue, but again, I can't find anywhere else where somebody is having this issue.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:58 am

I experienced the same issues! som times things just pop up in my front.

Plz post your config!

Core i7 950
GTX 295
6GB Ram
Steve Smith

Post » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:35 pm

AMD HD 6870
AMD Phenom 3.2ghz x2 (Overclocked to x4)
4GB DDR3 Ram running at 2000mhz

Also running on Windows 7 64bit. All drivers are completely up to date.
Maria Leon

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:22 am

Same deal.

AMD Thuban 1090T six-core processor 3.8 ghz TURBO mode
EVGA GTX 285
8 GB RAM @ 1966 mhz (oc'ed)

Extreme settings, using Advanced Graphics Configuration mod to manually max everything out. No difference. LOD is terrible. I thought this was just a problem with the engine itself. Crysis 2' LOD is worse than Crysis 1 when comparing maximum settings to each other.
Marie

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:07 pm

Go here: http://pastebin.com/e7bgZgPY

Search for "distance"

Then mess around with the various options you think are relevant by adding them to the autoexec.cfg file.
You will know if the command is recognised by reading the log file in the main directory.

Similar things exist for Crysis 1.
Becky Palmer

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:58 pm

I had done that for Crysis 1, however still had exactly the same issue. However, I will try again for Crysis 2 anyway, and let you know if the problem persists or not.
LijLuva

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:25 am

Did not work.
Megan Stabler

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:57 am

Same here. Still the same issues. This is incredibly annoying.
Alyce Argabright

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:21 am

As far as I know this is called LOD distance culling and it's supposed to be a streamlining process, freeing up GPU time by rendering distant meshes at lower polygon counts, or simply not rendering them at all.

It's incredibly annoying when stuff keeps popping in and out and flashing all over your screen all the time. Crysis 2 is extreme in this sense. Sometimes entire sewerpipes just pop in out of nowhere and completely change the overall picture.

This is why we need advanced graphics and game settings, among other things.
john page

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:47 am

Well, I've tried several different commands, in Crysis 1 and 2, yet neither can resolve this. This is very frustrating to say the least. :/
rae.x

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:04 pm

When I was looking through that file I found at least 10 different variables that looked responsible for LOD, what specifically did you set them to and what was logged in the log file?
Megan Stabler

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:00 am

I had tried every single variable with had "LOD" in the name or something to do with culling distance, and I am still getting the same issue. I checked the log file, and they was ALL loaded up. I had left them all as their defaults, just in case over doing it was what was making it occur in Crysis 1, but I am still getting very annoying texture pop-ins.

Whilst looking through the log file, I noticed this in map load up which seems it may be connected with the issue:

<20:19:30> ============================ PrepareLevel Wars/cw2_church ============================
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:31> Initializing default materials...
<20:19:31> [Error] AddFrameName(19, 'open') -- frame name already assigned to frame 1; overriding [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'stop' on invalid object. [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: Invalid movie clip path; neither string nor object [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: Invalid movie clip path; neither string nor object [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:31> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'loadMovie' on invalid object. [libs/ui/allinone_hud_3d_mp.gfx]
<20:19:32> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:32> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/level_specific/downtown/buildings/dwntwn_catacombs/dwntwn_catacombs_a_lod2.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:32> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/architecture/sidewalks/sidewalk_glm_center_pink.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:33> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:33> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/props/cw2_level_specific/cw2_downtown/cw2_trinity_graves/cw2_trinity_grave_set_c.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:33> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/props/cw2_level_specific/cw2_downtown/cw2_trinity_graves/cw2_trinity_grave_set_c_ivy.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:33> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/props/trash/trashcan1.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/shells/killcam/12gshot.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/ay69/ay69_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/feline/feline_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/feline/feline_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/grendel/grendel_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/kvolt/k-volt_ironsight.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/mk60/mk60_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/mk60/mk60_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/mk60/mk60_ironsight_tp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:34> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/scarab/scarab_ironsight_fp.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/characters/human/us/nanosuit_v2/nanosuit_v2_helmet.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/hammer/hammer_fp.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/jackal/jackal_fp.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/marshall/marshall.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/nova/nova_fp.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/revolver/revolver.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:35> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/weapons/us/scar_v2/scar_v2_fp.chr': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:36> [Error] Error: CallMethod - 'gotoAndStop' on invalid object. [Libs/UI/IdleAnimationMP.gfx]
<20:19:36> [Error] CTerrain::LoadSurfaceTypesFromXML: Error loading material: objects/prototype/whitebox_solid_materials/white_grey
<20:19:36> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/props/rubble/buildingdebris_set_02.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
<20:19:36> [Error] Failed to compute texture mapping density for mesh 'objects/library/props/rubble/buildingdebris_set_02_lod1.cgf': faces are too small or have stretched mapping
Hazel Sian ogden

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi! I've got the same issue , LOD going fubar after the first map in multiplayer. It happens with and without autoexec.
If I quit multiplayer (click on singleplayer for instance ) , everything is normal again...on the first map I play. After each map rotation , things like decals on walls, garbage bins, bushes appears 20ft in front of me , It's annoying. My comp spec : I5 750\4go RAM\HD5870 on Win7 64bit.
dav

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:45 am

This is really quite an irritating problem, anyway around this at all?
Love iz not

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:11 am

It seems that the problem is tied to the lighthouse dark grass texture issue , they happen every time the server load a new map . THe only time I see correct LOD ( no clipping) and the correct texture , is when I load a map for the first time.
SEXY QUEEN

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:32 am

http://www.gamesas.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=13146&p=227756#p227756

Threads crossed. ;)

Post in the other one, it's much larger.
amhain

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:36 am

I don't really think it's related, because like I said, I also had this issue in Crysis 1. So unless everybody also had this dark texture with Crysis 1, then I don't think it is all that related. *shrug*
Vickey Martinez

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:12 am

I don't know for sure that it is related , but it occurs at the same moment : when the server changes map . Only the first map loaded is fine , with the correct LOD (no popping of objects ) and the correct texture.
Anyways , just wanted to bump that thread , because patch 1.2 did nothing to this issues , and for now Crytek haven't aknowledge this two bugs , so I can only hope they are trying to fix them .
It' s a shame for a crytek game to have this kind of graphic issues , and the visual in the solo are fine, so I don't understand : I've try a lot of commands in autoexec , but we don't even know what work in multiplayer so that pointless .
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:48 am

I had messaged Cry-Tom and Cry-Adam about this, with a link to the topic in the messages, and they have both read it since they're not in my outbox. So I hope they have acknowledged this (and the dark textures issue). This is really the only thing preventing me from playing Crysis 2, and is is a highly game breaking thing imo.
evelina c

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:33 am

bump , to be sure this is adressed. I would like to have the same visuals in sp and mp in the next patch , without insanely low draw distance.
Kayla Bee

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:37 am

I'm glad to know it's not just me with this problem. I really hope this greats addressed, since it's quite clear a number of people are experiancing this aggravating issue.
Natalie J Webster

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:07 am

New patch did nothing . It's 1.4 now and i still see things popping up in multiplayer when the second map is loaded by the server . I'm not talking about tweaking or making the visuals better here (seeing how every command regarding graphic tweak has been deactivated ) .
IT IS BUGGED IN MP. Actually , if somebody across the street is behind a garbage bin or pile of corpse bag or any prop , I see them , because the stuff they hide behind havent' been drawn yet . So yeah , game's bugs makes me cheat .
I'm disappointed
Tracey Duncan

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:33 pm

bump
Mélida Brunet

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:03 am

I have the sames problem in MP. i'am using the very high setting and set the object detail to 3 in a autoexec.

During a Mp game, when you type the sys + tab in the console the objectdetail its auto turned down to 1....

The next patch will definitely need a correct ADVANCED graphic option....
Ashley Clifft

Post » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:46 am

New patch did nothing . It's 1.4 now and i still see things popping up in multiplayer when the second map is loaded by the server . I'm not talking about tweaking or making the visuals better here (seeing how every command regarding graphic tweak has been deactivated ) .
IT IS BUGGED IN MP. Actually , if somebody across the street is behind a garbage bin or pile of corpse bag or any prop , I see them , because the stuff they hide behind havent' been drawn yet . So yeah , game's bugs makes me cheat .
I'm disappointed
What settings are you using in the Youtube video on the first page?
Miragel Ginza

Next

Return to Crysis