[RelZ] FWE - FO3 Wanderers Edition #6

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:00 am

Is a compatible version of fwe planned with saiden's weapon effects? I'd love to use both mods.
Jonathan Montero

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:32 pm

Future AS versions will rope you into it i guess, without the vault angle (sort of hard to remove the father one). Currently, some vault-related dialogues remain.

So is the Main Quest disabled entirely in FWE or is it still active and just kind of... there, sitting in the quest log and how I justify pursuing it is left up in the air? This is pretty much the only part of this mod that has me hesitant to lose it. I love the additional RP options, but if the entire plotline is blocked or broken, I'm not entirely sure I want to use it. Thanks for answering.
Maria Leon

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:56 pm

The main quest is essentially untouched . . . so far in my experience all of the alt starts seem to work with the main quest lines unless you pick the hardcoe raider/talon start.

It's been a hectic weekend, apologies for not checking in.

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=983296
Arnold Wet

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm

i absolutely love this mod, with a few tweaks of my own, this has become a MUST HAVE for me, fantastic work gents (and possibly ladies). that having been said, I would love it if I could add more history options to the game, such as (off the top of my head) a wasteland vampire history that starts you with the cannibal perk, but negative karma, starting you out as a member of The Family.
Clea Jamerson

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:59 pm

This thread is not the current one, click the link in the post above your own.
M!KkI

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:27 am

Perk requirements: 70(rank1), 75(rank2), 80(rank3), 85(rank4), 90(rank5), 95(rank6), 100(rank7) skill points in said skill. This is to balance perks and because your character either isn't interested or doesn't have required knowledge to fully understand and put to use information in books he doesn't have invested points into."

What the hell does this mean? This doesn't make ANY sense to me. Does this mean we have to read 70 books to acheive rank 1? or does it mean we have to assign 70 level-up skill points to achieve rank 1?

Neither-- what it means is that the reading the skill book (let's say Big Book of Science, just so we're talking about something specific as an example) won't count toward ranks of the Book Perk unless you have at least 70 points in the skill the skill book affects already.

So reading the Big Book of Science won't advance you in the Science Book Perk for the books unless you have at least 70 points in Science when you read it.

So yes, the idea is pretty much to save the books until later-- unless you don't care about the skill, in which case you can go on and read them for no effect, and then display them on a bookshelf or something, due to the inclusion of "Persistent Skill Books" in FWE (which removes the skill-increasing book after you've read it and replaces it with a static version, for the very ability to allow you to display it).

This is not that much different from normal play, in which many of us save found skill books until we get Comprehension anyway, but I'm glad to see that Mezmorelda has reduced the skill requirement in Book Perks, just as I did for personal use on the standalone copy I was previously using. The idea that you should have such a high score in the skill before you can read a book that no longer gives you points in the skill is due to the author's ... unusual... way of playing the game, and it seems that I wasn't the only one who found it a bit too harsh, especially in the light of slower leveling, and reduced skill points (which are both features of FWE), making skill books much less valuable for a much longer time than was intended. Since you level slower, and get less skill points when you do, it's much, much harder to put 70 points in any particular skill within a reasonable enough timeframe for it to be worthwhile to ever read the books under the default mod settings.

I wanted to also mention something about the suggestion for inclusion of the Four-Eyes Perk mod: That's a great idea (I use it as well, and it's a lot of fun), but you should be aware that it will have to be altered to be compatible with Book Perks, if you decide to use it. Also with Alternate Starts.

The issues are: 1. The original Four-Eyes Perk (meaning the perk itself which makes you a blind-as-a-bat-without-your-glasses-wearer) also replicates the Comprehension Perk (without changing the original, which is why you can take it again later if you are so inclined). However, Book Perks removes the skill points from skill books, of course, so Comprehension is meaningless. For my copy, I changed both the original Comprehension Perk and the Four-Eyes Perk to give you a couple extra skill points at level up. That made sense to me, in that if you read a lot and read well (Four-Eyes has an INT requirement, and gives a bonus), you'd gain more benefit from the experience that caused you to level (since that experience presumably includes reading in some respect). But of course, you can do something different if you decide to include the mod-- it's just that something does have to be changed to make the two mods work together smoothly (in that the one of features of one disables one of the features of the other, if not adjusted).

2. All of the methodologies to give you the initial perk and your first pair of glasses only exist in Vault 101. Unless an altered copy of "Baby's First Terminal" (I don't know if the alternate starts start you as a baby; I would doubt it, so you can probably skip this) or the initial pair of scripted starter glasses (which are currently placed on your nightstand when you wake up for "Escape!", for compatibility with the "Quick Start" mod) is placed in the alternate start locations as well, the only way to get the perk and your beginner glasses would be to console them in, which is a valid solution, if an inelegant one.

Other than that, I don't think there should be any further issues. It's not a massive amount of work to make Four-Eyes compatible with the various elements of FWE-- maybe as an optional-- and it adds nice value to the game if you're interested in being a glasses-wearing geek :) .

And speaking of the "better display of needs", just yesterday, http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=6387 was released, which, among its other features, specifically addresses this issue:
Purpose and Future Plans
========================
This mod adds the NOMADD (Need-O-Meter Add-On) to the Aid section of the player's Pipboy. With the NOMADD installed players will feel the basic effects of hunger, thirst, and fatigue as they wander the wasteland.
(empahsis mine)

I was just about to be all over that, until I realized that it also contains a "full" HTS mod of its own, and I wasn't in the mood to compare it to Primary Needs and decide whether I wanted to switch or not. But it might be worth it to consider ditching Primary Needs (which the FWE version of is outdated) and replacing it with RH_NOMADD Needs Mod, if the HTS part was decent (I haven't had the chance to even look at it, much less test it); it would likely save you a lot of work in terms of not having to do the whole meter stuff yourself, and integrate it into the current hunger/thirst/sleep mod being used.

Anyway, I haven't had a chance to play FWE yet, but I will say that I like most of your choices for inclusion-- most of them are mods I already use, so it's working out as a consolidation of my preferred mod list-- and those I don't (like Alternate Starts) are at least placed in modules that I can remove (so that means I like your choices about how the mods are grouped as well). I'm looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Thanks!
Naazhe Perezz

Post » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:42 pm

New release of MMMF3 up:

http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=992440

FOIP packages updated, including an updated Mart's Mutant Mod - Broken Steel.esp plugin:

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4968
His Bella

Previous

Return to Fallout 3