Violence and Gore

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:34 pm

As long as I have the option to turn armored foes into armless and legless squabbling torsos spewing insults and bleeding on the floor profusely then I'll be satisfied.
Princess Johnson

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:01 pm

The one part of Oblivion that REALLY needed gore was the arena. The animation was so lame.
The crowd, the blood, just imagine what Skyrim could be....

As for the main game, it doesn't bother me. :celebration:
Siobhan Wallis-McRobert

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:24 pm

There was gore in Oblivion? Did I miss something? I imagine a place that has seven foot Nords hitting each other with broadswords to be a pretty gorey place. Red blood on virgin snow.

Yes, but in the scenery. Necromancer areas and Oblivion areas especially did have gore, it just wasn't mid combat.
Soph

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:19 pm

I didn't find Fallouts Gore very realistic though, it was rather overplayed. A pistol blowing up a supermutants head? Doesnt really happen much.

I think Dragon Age had a good standrad for Gore if you want to have it in a fantasy game. Sometimes the gore was noticable, such as decapitations and whatnot, other times it took a backseat to just the combat.

I don't want the gore to rule the combat like in most games.
WTW

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:47 am

The gore from Fallout I think is a stylistic choice and was meant to be over the top. While it is possible to shoot someones head off with a powerful enough weapon (a .50 cal sniper rifle can remove a head from a neck or a an arm etc..), it is unlikely a smaller caliber weapons could achieve this. I've seen many animal corpses that have taken gun-shot wounds and even a .30 caliber bullet with a decent amount of powder behind it can't blow off the leg from a deer.

Now on the other hand, it's far more realistic for a razer sharp katana to sever any body part. I think it would be cool if during a fight your opponent reaches the end of their stamina, your blows would begin to do catastrophic damage including dismemberment.
Jaki Birch

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:26 am

Me is hoping to see hords of vikinglike evil grinning bearded honks abducting lotsa screaming girls in the dark. And hopefully there are camps in which things will be happening that are not to be discussed here with minors present. It should sound like NWN at night. At least if the player doesn't manage to free the abductees in time, and only a game that keeps you from falling asleep is a good game! Uh, what was the question? Violence isn't as half as joyful without the screaming. Life can be so beautyful...
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:15 am

I'm all for more gore and violence but it needs to be controlled.

For instance, I love Fallout New Vegas, and theres nothing more satisfying than watching someones head explode with you blast them with a shot gun, but it shouldn't explode every single time!!!

I'd love to decapitate someone but only if it dosnt happen every time. Like only if they are weak and I do some kind of highlander style power move or something. I dont want them exploding every time they even look at my sword.
Peetay

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:13 am

Although I don't feel it needs FO gore, it does need more gore than OB. I always though OB's gore level awas mediocre...hit some in the head with a claymore and only a spray of blood ?! C'mon...I want limbs to fly and bones to be crushed...as they do in real life.
sam westover

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:38 am

I think quite high level of gore would be awesome if done right. Im not talking about exploding heads and blood clouds, toned down and realistic dismemberings would be cool, but there should be some thought behind this system.
I also want to be (able to be) eaten by Yetis and Ogres :D
Kelvin

Post » Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:10 pm

I love Fallout's comedy gore and really want to be able to decapitate/dismember people in Skyrim.

I dont want them exploding every time they even look at my sword.

This too though. Maybe limit the severed body parts to when a power attack reduces an enemy to 0hp.
Josh Lozier

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:46 am

I love Fallout's comedy gore and really want to be able to decapitate/dismember people in Skyrim.

Sure, but I dont want to see peoples' heads flying just cause someones waves their dagger around. This should be restricted to huge axes and claymores, atleast for bigger foes.
Charlie Ramsden

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:26 am

Yes, but realistic Blood and gore, not the OTT Gore of fallout. Swords and axes should have a chance to sever limbs, hammers should occasionally crush skull. and the chance of this happening should be tied to your characters strength and weapons skill and how heavy the weapons is.

High level fire spells reducing enemies to piles smouldering ash would be cool too!
josh evans

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:08 am

Perhaps not more gore, but a better sense of actually making physical contact with weapons, opponents recoiling from blows and so on. It was always a problem in morrowind, doubtless much improved in oblivion, though I still think more could be done.
Ryan Lutz

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:51 am

I wouldn't want to feel like a torturer while playing my games, so no thanks to gore =) . I play these games for fun, not to feel like I need a shower.
Nomee

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:56 am

Sure, but I dont want to see peoples' heads flying just cause someones waves their dagger around. This should be restricted to huge axes and claymores, atleast for bigger foes.

Oh absolutely.

High level fire spells reducing enemies to piles smouldering ash would be cool too!

Definitely. I imagine you could do all sorts of fun things with the various spell effects, enemies frozen solid then shattering into tiny pieces when hit with a Frost spell, that sort of thing.
Nikki Lawrence

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:38 am

I am in the same school as thought as the majority, do it right or don't bother as well as give it a toggle. Tie it to the characters stats, make high strength have a higher chance while using swords, light axes and hopefully pole-arms. Leave it as an end to the combat with only a chance of happening depending on where you're swinging. When it comes to blunt weapons and the applicable gore I wouldn't mind broken limbs and if possible some level of contusions to the head or face for example, just keep it believable. Deformations in armor with blunt weapons and medium-ish strength, if the character is low on strength but high in agility and uses small blades like daggers and short swords then they would never or almost never see a decapitation or severing of limbs, but see slices, cuts and gashes on the enemy that would believably result in some bleeding. In my opinion, make it believably tied to stats and weapon choices leaving it able to be toggled for those who want no part of it would add to the experience.
Jordan Moreno

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:17 pm

The gore is Dragon Age 1 is what I like. Doesn't happen too often, but often enough you notice it.
Sakura Haruno

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:53 pm

as long as it has blood and not some nintendo green goo, ill be fine.
Eire Charlotta

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:44 am

Oh boy. Now instead of Fallout players [censored]ing about the latest games being Oblivion With Guns, we can have the MorrowindElder Scrolls fans [censored]ing about how Skyrim is Fallout With Magic. Wonderful.
Shelby Huffman

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:08 am

I don't get why people are all calling for more gore. Morrowind's gore was minimal, but nobody complained about it.
Marguerite Dabrin

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 4:26 am

The gore is Dragon Age 1 is what I like. Doesn't happen too often, but often enough you notice it.

Every time you finished a fight your character was covered in blood...
Chavala

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:14 pm

There is gore in Fallout? Never even noticed...
So for me, I couldn't care less, it's not what these games are about.
Lucky Boy

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:11 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8rhdWuwdJs and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NoUyRewf5YE&feature=related
Kate Murrell

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:39 pm

If they make use of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1c_PVtMIz-A

it isn't a nvidia only thing AFAIk.
xxLindsAffec

Post » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:14 am

I don't get why people are all calling for more gore. Morrowind's gore was minimal, but nobody complained about it.

morrowinds visual fidelity as a whole was.. minimal. Whats your point? Realistic effects can only add to the experience.

Geez some of you guys make it sound as if someone is forcing you to work with cadavers
ANaIs GRelot

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim