Your most satisfying moment in gaming?

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:32 am

I know I got a little depressed when HCBailly's LP of Terranigma came to an end, that has got to be one of my favorite LPs he's done.

roxxii lenaghan

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:35 pm

most certainly

Alex Blacke

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:20 pm

I can think of a few examples that I felt it with:
Super Castlevania IV

Ocarina of Time

Super Mario World

Starfox 64

Twilight Princess

Dishonored

Strangely, I've never felt this with a TES game, possibly because they don't have a definite end.
Kill Bill

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:17 am

out maneuvering the queen of teeth in shadowrun hong kong and forcing her to not only return to her world and seal the tear but also give up the people in the slum

Lyd

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:38 pm

Depending on the game, there is a bit of sadness that is quickly replaced with the joy pf running a totally new and different character through :)

Nicholas C

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:28 pm

I agree with all of your choices.

Except Dishono(u)red. Because it was crap.

The 2 main redeeming features it had were the party mission (as an avid Hitman fan, I can tell you parties are GREAT!) and the Daud DLC (particularly The Brigmore Witches). The main game itself was pretty dull though, the art style is generally unappealing (along with a fair amount of character design), the music was just dull too, the main narrative arc was as thoroughly pedestrian as it was predictable, mission design was generally very narrow (note the party mission exception here), it was graphically disappointing (when you consider how many people thought the graphics were incredible), the lore was fairly slapdash and it's "world building" failed to ever come together into a cohesive experience for me.

I did find the sneaking and looting of valuables to be better (ironically) than the same gameplay in the newest Thief game, though tbh, as people have said, thieving in Skyrim was better than that dire Thief game.

@DK3443 : I really wish they had harder Zelda games. Plenty of times there have been tough bosses but rarely is it the final boss. I believe Veran was pretty challenging in Oracle of Ages, Ganon in Four Swords Adventures and maybe Vaati in The Minish Cap (though I can't be sure about that, as it's been a loooong time).

Anyway, Ganondorf started out pretty great in Twilight Princess, but essentially has the exact same flaw as Demise from Skyward Sword, which is a real shame. You know, when Fi told me my Skyward Strike wouldn't work in the Demise fight, I never even though to try it, and I won the battle completely "legit" (legit as in "I didn't beat him with the way that you're supposed to" but also "I totally found a flaw in his AI and beat him using that").

Ah, Nintendo, give me a real fight, not any of this easy crap. Actually have a final boss that, at very least, TRIES to kill me, and I mean a real concerted effort in that department.

loste juliana

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:43 pm

Killing my first ancient vampire in Daggerfall after getting killed with one swipe of its hand so many times. Ah the sweet tension of slowly ever so slowly creeping up on it not drawing its attention until finally I KILLED IT with short blade in hand! Took probably two hits with the final third having me a few feet away from it due to running past the ancient vampire. Luckily it seemed stunned and i was able to land the killing blow without it counter attacking.

I have had many such thrilling moments lately playing Fallout 4 in Survival Mode. Just the other day i was so immersed in trying to stay alive in the game i jumped out of my chair when the phone rang. First time in my life i ever jumped at the sound of the phone ringing thinking it was a raider shooting at me.

Micah Judaeah

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:43 pm

Yea i remember playing the old EYE OF THE BEHOLDER games and BLACK CRYPT games back in the 1990s where i felt exhilarated from the thrill of defeating the main villain after a very long journey only to feel a slight sense of meloncholy that it was all over.

Cartoon

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:31 pm

Getting Resident Evil and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare for free on my PS4 :D .

bonita mathews

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:11 pm

Taking a Savannah Master Hovercraft with a single medium laser(a 5 ton vehicle) and taking out a MadCat(Timber Wolf a 75 ton Mech) on the first turn of the game. Classic style Battletech board/miniatures game.

But I guess you meant video games.....I got nothing.

Miss K

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:51 pm

Oh man, back in the 80's I was playing someone in a game of StarFleet Battles, a board game based on Star Trek. He had a Federation Starbase, and I had a Romulan fleet. We went back and forth for a couple of hours until his starbase was crippled and I had one battered War Eagle with enough energy for one more plasma torpedo. It came down to his rotating his starbase in enough time to fire his remaining phaser at me before my torpedo was armed.

He was actually amazed that I was arming that torpedo instead of retreating with my one remaining ship. Anyways, he got his starbase around in time to fire his last phaser and destroyed my ship, which had no more hull space and no more shields.

Even though he won, he got up, walked around the table and shook my hand, and told me "good job".

Amie Mccubbing

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:35 pm

I don't think so. Boardgames have their own "satisfying moments" :)

Magic: the Gathering after the "Legends(?)" expansion. My group of gaming friends and I bought some boxes of booster packs and found they were "God Packs." WotC goofed up and their packs had more "rare cards" than normal packs. Anyway, my friend and I were dueling and it came to an epic round where everything I had laid out came into it's "sweetspot", working as intended. I think I rattled off an ungodly amount of damage, like 30 points or more, and at the last moment, he played a blue interrupt card (forget the name now) and directed that damage back at me! I was drooling over my apparent victory and he deftly turned it back on me!

Even though I lost that match, it was still a satisfying moment :)

zoe

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Sweet. I used to play the tabletop Battletech game every day since the mid 1980s when i ordered it from a ad in the back pages of The Magazine Of Science Fiction And Fantasy. Loved collecting Ral Partha minitures and painting them not to mention buying up all the scenario books and spinoffs such as Battleforce, AeroTech, CityTech, The Succession Wars etc.

I loved how a light mech or a lance of them could take out a assualt mech with the right strategy. Am drooling with anticipation for the upcoming Battletech game by HBS which is going to allow such combat situations to occur.

Philip Rua

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:55 pm

Sounds awesome. A real down to the wire all out slug fest. I never played the boardgame but i used to love looking at all the advertising for it in the Fasa magazine i used to get with my Battletech games.

James Rhead

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:20 pm

What's amazing is that it happened about 35 years ago and I remember every detail of that fight to this day.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:25 am

Probably the first time I played System Shock, and I was supposed to blow up some antenna in a room, and SHODAN locks the door. I managed to get out of the room just 2 seconds before it exploded and was so high on adrenaline.

It was also the first game where the game villain was with you all the time, I mean, in most games the game villain was just the last boss you met in the last room and that was it. There was no real connection. It really impressed me hearing her taunting me and mocking me all the time :P
emily grieve

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:58 pm

Yes its amazing how memories like this stick to our brains. I remember many tabletop battles from the 1990s as if they were just last week like my Battletech character Elden who survived 19 missions against some really tough battlemech units only to die from a cockpit hit by a infantry unit equipped with machine guns. His battlemech was pretty much intact so the lucky infantry unit just became mechwarriors or salvaged it. I should have roleplayed that aspect of the outcome darn it.

SHODAN is a amazing seductive enemy. Many times i was tempted to join her. Too bad the game did not make it possible to play as one of her minions. If only SKYNET was modeled in a similar fashion in the Terminator movies.

Mariana

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 3:45 am

Unlocking all content for super smash melee man that was a fun journey.
Big mike

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:56 pm

A random one that springs to mind is getting Firkraag at low level on my first run through BG2. Lowered his resistance and dragged him through a load of trap spells. Nice loot for my paladin.

It's kind of nice when you break the system, when you get away with something. If I cited other stuff that would be the theme.
Samantha Wood

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:28 pm

Satisfaction: reaching Booty bay in Stranglethorn for the first time with a very low level character. Epic journey swimming from Westfall coast, into weird ruins and jungle full of level ?? beasts, ends with the beauty of BB seen from a high point, unforgettable.

Relief: killing the [censored] tree boss in DS1. Very annoying boss, pushing my character into the void with the [censored] branches, sending me a long way back to the bonfire.

Isabella X

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:18 am

Booty Bay looked awesome when I first saw it. I was like "wow!"
marina

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:23 pm

Doom 2, the second secret level, which replicated the boss level in Wolfenstein 3D, except Hans Grosse was replaced by a Cyberdemon. I had no clue what I was going to find when I opened that door. :ahhh: To this day I don't know how I did it and I probably couldn't do it again if I tried (pure dumb luck probably played a significant role), but I slugged it out toe-to-toe with him and dropped him with four straight BFG 9000 blasts. About the only other time I even came close to that that "Oh [censored]!" feeling was in Skyrim, stumbling across Krosis at about Level 14 or 15 on my first playthrough. That one took a couple of reloads to beat, though.

Having said that, my biggest satisfaction is probably finishing the main story in Witcher 3. It was one of those times where I sat back and watched the end credits roll by and thought, "That was just an amazing ride."

Pawel Platek

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:39 am

I once manage to cap the horde keep graveyard in Alterac Valley (my rogue and a druid) and defend it against waves until the others came from way back in our keep where they were pushed by the horde. It was just one AV out of maybe 300 played, but it never felt so good to be the one who saved the day.

suzan

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:19 pm

No scoped a Jumpcaster in Star Wars Battlefront. So satisfying watching him lawn dart into the ground head first.

Nick Jase Mason

Previous

Return to Othor Games