CD Projekt RED now worth over $1 billion dollars (USD)

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:10 pm

I still think that Bethesda knows what it's doing, and they know the video game market a lot better than any of us. No one here is qualified to say what Bethesda should and not do, and that includes whether or not they go to GoG.

Marta Wolko

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:26 pm

It doesn't hurt to have competition though.

Are you against competition?

Right now gog.com is the only biggest competitor to Steam.

Electronic Arts (EA's) Origin a close third or so after humblebundle.com.

Ubisoft's uPlay I don't even know if that is competing as it's not selling many video games on their own store and Ubisoft's video games still sell more copies on Steam anyways.

Everardo Montano

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:06 pm

Oh, I know that and I'm not debating that at all. And I love GoG, I have several games from there. There is nothing wrong at all with options. I would be ecstatic if Fallout 3 were to come to GoG because I cannot get it to run off of Steam, and GoG is good at making hard headed games run. I WANT more Bethesda games on GoG.

I just get riled up when ever I see ANOTHER thread by the same person either praising CD Projekt RED or putting down Valve in some fashion. In this thread it's both praising CD and acting like Bethesda needs financial advice.

I swear, it's like Blade going after vampires.

I've said it twice and I'll say it again. If Bethesda is not sending all of it's games to GoG, it's for a good reason. There is too much money involved to make decisions lightly.

sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:59 am

A video game development company reaching $1 billion dollars (USD) worth is not something that's very easy for most video game development companies to come by, especially for indie video game development companies.

This is also something that should not be ignored by the video game industry and market.

It is something to read on and follow and take notes.

CD Projekt RED is also good for the video game industry now as they are on a hiring spree hiring 104 people right now.

Meaning giving people jobs.

That's the reason why I made this topic. Otherwise I wouldn't of if it was not important for the video games industry.

I'm not praising CD Projekt RED as the "second coming". Or whatever.

I can guarantee 100% that ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks will not be ignoring them as much now since they are $1 billion dollars (USD) wotrh video game development company now.

Scarlet Devil

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:21 pm

I doubt very seriously that Bethesda ever ignored them.

Daniel Lozano

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:23 pm

They probably didn't ignore them, but they probably also weren't much interested in them much either, but to sell their classic old video games on gog.com.

Now with gog.com having GoG Galaxy and CD Projekt RED being worth $1 billion dollars (USD) I bet ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks at their office and their board of directors with this news will be evaluating if they should release their video games day one at the same time as Steam.

I mean come on a $1 billion dollars (USD) video games development company should not be just looked at and be like oh.

It is also not easy for most video games development companies to get to. A lot of indie video games development companies would want CD Projekt RED's pie.

kirsty williams

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:19 pm

and EA is worth far more than that, as is Ubisoft, but you don't see them releasing FO4 on UPlay and Origin now do you?

how much the parent company of a software vendor is worth really doesn't play much of a role on distribution tactics

SWagg KId

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:15 am

And of course you didn't see I mentioned Electronic Arts (EA's) Origin and Ubisoft's uPlay, which even though both Electronic Arts (EA) and Ubisoft are worth more than CD Projekt RED, that their digital distribution retailer stores are not competing as much as gog.com is competing with Steam.

uPlay for sure hardly any of Ubisoft's video games sell on it while on Steam they sell A LOT more.

The Battlefield video games are about the only video games that sell a lot on Electronic Arts (EA's) Origin.

STEVI INQUE

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:58 pm

that doesn't matter though..

it doesn't matter how many copies of games GoG sells because as stated, accounts are NOT mutually exclusive..

the vast majority of GoG users also have active Steam accounts, and the number of people who would only buy a game if its available on GoG is so relatively small its inconsequential..

if its not on GoG, the user who may prefer GoG when given a choice will still buy it on Steam or whatever other platform its released under because thats where it is and they as a gamer want to play that game..

therefore, the statistics your using don't work like you think they do.. they are not missing out on some huge untapped profit as you claim, because the majority of people who would buy it on GoG are instead buying it on Steam because they want to play it and thats where it is..

the way you are using the statistics to support your claim would actually work if the accounts were mutually exclusive.. if an Individual could ONLY have a Steam Account or ONLY have a GoG account, but thats not how it works, and as a result the way you are choosing to use those statistics are heavily flawed because you are ignoring the concept of "cross-over" which is one of the most important parts when compiling statistics on this sort of thing (as well as one of the basics in marketing courses)..

lexy

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:57 am

It does matter. I'm sure ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks want to earn those few extra millions of dollars (USD).

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gog.com version sold 2+ million copies.

I'm already 100% sure that the The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim will also sell 1+ million copies on gog.com.

The gog.com PC gamer really loves their singleplayer video games.

I have two gog.com accounts and four Steam accounts. I haven't purchased a single video game from Steam since 2012.

Angela Woods

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:38 am

once again Ballowers, your ignoring one of the key principals of statistics in your justification and thats why they don't hold up

they won't make some huge additional profit from it being on GoG, because if its not on GoG most of those GoG users will just buy it where it is available..

as stated, accounts are not mutually exclusive.. the majority of people who buy games on GoG also buy them from Steam and visa-versa..

yes, but most don't only buy their games off GoG.. just go read the GoG forums, you'll see most also buy from other platforms all the time and discuss them (heck, if you go read GoGs heroes of Might and Magic boards. you'll see people discussing the entries only available on UPlay and Steam every once and awhile).. once again, your ignoring the "cross-over" aspect..

lets look at it this way.. Beth makes a game and a total of 1000 people want to play, and sell it for $50.. if they sell it on Steam alone, thats $50,000 for them.. if they sell it on both Steam and GoG at the same price, still only 1000 people want to buy it, so the total profit is still $50,000 regardless of how many different sites they sell it on.. only real difference is they see DRM as a necessity..

once again, the way you are using your statistics would only work the way you think they do if people only had accounts on one or the other.. but in Reality, most people on GoG have a Steam account, and most people on Steam have accounts on other distribution platforms as well..

don't get me wrong Ballowers, I understand the point you are trying to make, your just not seeing a few key factors that are essential to trying to use statistics in the manner you are..

Emily abigail Villarreal

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:33 am

I'm someone who would buy a game on gog over steam if it's available, but if not, then I'll do steam. But I do know people who will only use gog, though they are rare.

However if a game requires uplay, I refuse to buy it. I bought one ubisoft game on steam, and you need both steam and uplay to play the game and you need to be online all the time. Uplay is such bloatware crap that it actually keeps me from buying ubisoft games, which is unfortunate.

But my point is, uplay is such a turn off to me that I simply dont buy their games. I'm sure that there are people who feel the same about steam out there, and I think having options is a good thing.

If it's drm Bethesda is worried about, then why did they say like a year ago that they are anti drm? If they truly are anti drm like they said they are, then the lack of drm shouldn't be holding them back from releasing new games on Gog.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:31 pm

The point I'm trying to make, even if a lot of PC gamers purchase the video games sold on Steam is that I'm trying to make a point that ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks will earn a few million dollars (USD) in sales of selling their video games on gog.com.

I can see Doom 3, Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil, Quake IV, The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout: New Vegas, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, and Dishonored selling a total of at least 3+ million or so copies for all of those video games combined and earning ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks a few million dollars (USD) in sales.

I'm not saying they are going to earn $300+ million dollars (USD) in sales.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim selling for $40 dollars (USD) on gog.com and selling 1+ million copies on gog.com that's $40 million dollars (USD) in sales on gog.com.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion selling for $20 dollars (USD) and selling 1+ million copies on gog.com that's $20 million dollars (USD) in sales on gog.com.

ZeniMax Media Inc. and Bethesda Softworks can very well earn anywhere from $40+ million dollars to close to $60+ million dollars (USD) on selling their video games on gog.com.

I'm positive within a year or two they can.

Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:04 am

I think they will be more focusing on bethesda.net and possibly everyone has to log into it to play the game and possibly in order to play with mods in the future.

Horse gal smithe

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:36 pm

Also didnt steam and gog do this thing were you can take some of your steam games and play them on gog?
Emily Martell

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:39 am

GoG Connect? Yes that was like in June of this year and only temporarily.

There was a info thing where a gog.com employee did write it will return, but they have to look into it more.

It basically was like a temptation to get PC gamers who purchase video games from Steam only to try out gog.com and GoG Galaxy.

Taylah Illies

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:12 am

there was a thing GoG did a few months back with the Steam API, where it scanned your steam account and if any of the games on it were also available on GoG it would automatically add it to your GoG library

it might have gotten shut down though.. can't quite remember, guy at the office was talking about it a few months back, but I remember some of the studios who made some of the games were quite upset at GoG (they apparently didn't ask the rights holders if they were okay with it) about it and were considering legal action against them..

Josh Lozier

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:41 am

Wait what? What studios were upset with gog.com doing this?

The video game publishing companies are the ones who were ok with it, but are you talking about the video game development companies? If they are owned by the video game publishing companies I don't think there is much they can do.

Provide me information if you can find it?

Lalla Vu

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:35 pm

And this is my point. Bethesda knows what they are doing. They are not leaving GoG out of the picture on a whim and it's not ignoring them. It is a conscious decision based on facts, and they know the actual numbers a whole lot more than anyone here.

I'm sorry, but a forum poster is not qualified to state what a AAA video company should do with their business. Yes, we can state our opinions but the fact is all we are here is armchair CEOs.
Nicholas

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:43 pm

I would actually contest this, since hard stats regarding piracy are not possible. There's a chance putting all their games on GoG, even with the risk of piracy, they'd stand to make more money. But CEOs are a hard lot to convince.

Alister Scott

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:36 pm

once again, I am mostly going by what the guy at my office was saying during lunch one day, buts he usually on the "up & up" when it comes to gaming news (spending most of his breaks reading up on the stuff and relays anything interesting to me while i'm eating), so I have no reason to not believe him

BethanyRhain

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 pm

Yeah. The Shovel Knight developer went public with their sales and the GOG sales accounted for 1%. They even sold more copies on the Humble Store (not including any bundles).

And yet both services are somehow good enough for CDPR to sell their Witcher games on. Somehow they don't trust their own service enough, they need to use others too.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:18 pm

Proof of that?

Oh, and Shovel knight..lol.

They sold more of TW3 on GoG than Steam. Get your facts straight, DRM lover.

http://gamerant.com/the-witcher-3-gog-sales-410/

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/more-people-playing-witcher-3-on-gog-than-on-steam/1100-6428013/

https://steamcommunity.com/app/292030/discussions/0/594820656445125284/?fp=2

sexy zara

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Sums up a lot of discussions in regards to the gaming industry.

But impressive, and good for CDPR. They've grown a lot since the first Witcher and are continuing to grow. Success well earned for such a company. Don't know about the GOG vs. Steam stuff, but I can't say I care. Last time I touched GOG was to get Fallout Tactics for free.

Rude Gurl

Post » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:39 am

to quote the second article:

there is a major issue with that, and that was the policy GoG was using at launch where if you guy it somewhere else you get it activated on your GoG account at the same time..

that artificially stacks the numbers in their favor, as even those who bought it elsewhere can still have it shown as activated on GoG..

on another note,

no offense man, but that "insult" just made me crack up.. its like what I would expect my nephew to come up with haha

its a game I have actually only heard good things about, I don't see what you find funny about a game thats quite popular as far as indie titles go

Strawberry

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games