Run speed and jump height

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:15 pm

I fully expect three movement speeds - walk, run and sprint - and that's it. Encumbrance might well play a part in it, but if so, then there will be perks like the reduced and zero encumbrance perks for heavy armor in Oblivion, and it'll still come down to three identical movement speeds.

After all, we wouldn't want an Orc in full Daedric to be unfairly restricted by not being able to move as fast as a naked Khajiit.
sally R

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 am

I fully expect three movement speeds - walk, run and sprint - and that's it. Encumbrance might well play a part in it, but if so, then there will be perks like the reduced and zero encumbrance perks for heavy armor in Oblivion, and it'll still come down to three identical movement speeds.

After all, we wouldn't want an Orc in full Daedric to be unfairly restricted by not being able to move as fast as a naked Khajiit.

Yeah, and an athletics skill is ridiculous because everybody knows that nobody can get incrementally better at running by running all the time. And the same goes with jumping. :facepalm:

EDIT: (I agree with you by the way. This post was very sarcastic)
Carlitos Avila

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:20 am

i got worried about this...

i just really dont want it to feel like fallout, the way it felt was always the thing that was a huge difference, and the jumping, never liked the jumping as much as oblivion

i like playing some BA warrior whos fast and acrobatic in heavy armor, gotta be a way to let myself do that :(
Claudz

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:01 pm

The problem is that too many players have whined so much about having any restrictions that Beth is apparently catering to them yet again, by removing anything that makes characters unique (like classes, birthsigns, and most of the attributes).

I fear that every character that I create in Skyrim is going to start out EXACTLY the same . . . which will remove most of the incentive to replay the game with different characters (since the only difference will be in their appearance).

If most of the restrictions are gone . . . so are most of the consequences. You'll likely be just as fast and nimble in the heaviest armor, as when wearing the lightest armor.

If what you are wearing has no effect on you ability to run and jump, perhaps they should just make all the armor equally protective, where the only difference is just its appearance . . . just like the player character.
Rudy Paint fingers

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:48 am

I fear that every character that I create in Skyrim is going to start out EXACTLY the same . . . which will remove most of the incentive to replay the game with different characters (since the only difference will be in their appearance).

That is probably the biggest problem that we will have with the game so far. No differences at the start your just a Dragonborn character instead of possibly having Imperial A be smarter then Imperial B or Imperial B being better at Combat then Imperial A.
JD bernal

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:58 am

maybe there is more perk trees then the 18 associated with skills... maybe there are 21 perk trees... health, mana, and fatigue... then maybe the fatigue perk tree would effect running and jumping..

wasn't there mention of a dodging in one of the interviews? do you think dodging is something that will be able to be perked also? maybe dodging and acrobatics will be rooted in the same system....
jessica Villacis

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:31 pm

Id wish that we wont be able to jump 4m in the air but instead 4m further.
Angus Poole

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:52 pm

how do you think this will work since speed, athletics, and acrobatics are all gone?

There will be a new fart button feature, the longer it is held down the more different and powerful the effect will be, one second is enough to annoy people nearby, 2 seconds you will be able to blow the leaves off bushes and small trees, 5 seconds and you can knock down wooden houses (not stone ones of course as that would be unrealistic) and 10 seconds you have lift off like a rocket, mistime it though and you can end up like Mr Creosote.

Over ten thosuand different fart noises will have been specially recorded for this feature, think of them as complimentary to dragon shouts, this is how jumping will be implemented in the game so for anyone who wanted something less comical and more dignified it will be somewhat disconcerting, but thems the breaks.

(just joking, i don't really know :D)
Multi Multi

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:55 pm

I fear that every character that I create in Skyrim is going to start out EXACTLY the same . . .

exactly what i was worried about, and even later on it still might not feel different, if i have the same clothes on a theif character and a warrior character, i'd still think the theif would generally go faster :huh:

maybe perks in the armor skills i guess?
Vincent Joe

Post » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:16 pm

probably by stamina, although no one really knows
Lori Joe

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim