Something is stopping me from playing

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:40 am

I have to agree with the TS. I am not invested in the story and the game isn't letting me play the character I envisioned on playing for my first play through (personality is like the polar opposite of personality the voice actor/writers gave him)

Kevan Olson

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:21 am

Mods?

jaideep singh

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:32 pm

I would agree that certain areas of the Commonwealth are glaringly sparse (think of the heavily under utilized underwater areas of the Glowing Sea and the land mass in this map quadrant.) But in all fairness, the 1st DLC isn't even out yet. We have no idea how much DLC Beth intends to add given the season pass. GECK doesn't drop until next year. And yet the game is being lambasted by the fans...

rheanna bruining

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:38 am

Fallout 4 was such a disappointment - I can't bare to fully finish the main story.

I dropped it and started replaying the Witcher series. I also purchased Pillars of Eternity and Divinity: OS. Both of which are solid games. Especially Divinity and that combat system.
adam holden

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:08 am

What is really worried me now is everyone is agreeing with me. :(
Mr. Ray

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:46 pm

I play almost exclusively as DiD so I restart a lot, and I have to agree that it is really hard to make each character feel really different in any way. The main culprit is when you interact with other NPC:s. The voiced dialogue is just a terrible design decision on all levels for this sort of game. It works in games like The Witcher, because there you are playing as Geralt, a premade charater with a premade story, and that is how it should be in that series. To do this in Fallout is going against everything that was the design vision of the Bethesda games since Arena. It just feels like a sellout. You can imagine the immersion breaking scene when this guy, who is supposed to be a physchotic killer opens his mouth and speaks with the generic goodie goodie father voice in every dialogue: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/4047131/MyPublic/2015-11-22_00004.jpg

Hearts

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 am

Yes, maybe. After all, Skyrim today with the two DLCs and all it's mods is not a bad dungeon crawler. Fallout 3 with FWE and many other mods became one too ^_^

Yes. Seems that with every game they try less :shakehead:

So, i really should stop buying these game half-finished, and wait until modders have patched the biggest issues and finished the rest of the content.
Jade Barnes-Mackey

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:03 am

Well i might do the same at wait for reviews. But i am worried that these decisions may go to the next elder scrolls as well. I don't think a voiced protagonist will be welcomed there.
Claire Lynham

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:25 pm

Could it be that they're getting a tad arrogant over their previous success'.

Cody Banks

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:13 am

Maybe because of its low, low replayability?

katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:17 am

Hopefully the low user score on metacritic will give them a wake up call

Nicole Elocin

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:47 am

Seems plausible.

I keep seeing comments in regards to the voiced PC, heavy focus of gunplay, and streamlining of RPG elements stating that it's because Beth has a large and varied fan base to appease now, but I disagree.

CDPR was shocked by the success of The Witcher 3 because it was aimed at a smaller and loyal Witcher fanbase, but look at that games success. Look at Pillars and Divinity, kickstaters dedicated to a smaller select fanbase, but those two games have been very successful leading to sequels in the near future.
Strawberry

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:39 pm

I tried really hard to play F4 like a RPG. Really, really hard. Some of the main problems I have with it are the Vocied MC, the background for him/her, the finding my son/father in the wasteland story, the Minutemen and more. I'm not even one to complain about video games that much, but F4 really feels so empty or rather, soulless. Sure jet-pack power armor is cool and the gun play is better than past games, but the world, to me, feels so big yet so small. At the same time, the MC never feels like he/she is my own. I'm always reminded about their son who they miss dearly and simply must find them because of parental reasons and I am always saying yes in 4 different ways. :meh:

Bit of a ramble that was.

Anyway, yea, I can see why the OP is having trouble playing. I've gotten close to 500 hours in Skyrim and over 900 in FO:NV but F4? I can't get passed the 60 hour mark. There is so much of nothing to do that I just don't want to not do nothing.

All in all, I'm worried about the next TES game.

Dawn Porter

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:34 am

I am as well

Voice acting protagonist: im ok with this in the next TES but as long as it is done DAI style.

Radiant quests: need to be toned down and not such a chore as it is in FO4. Also smart as well my settlements should be ok by them selfs as i have turned them into forts with insane amounts of defense.

Etc etc lol
Breautiful

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:43 am

What is "DAI style"? You're still limited to two voices per gender, the camera still switches to view the protagonist which for me takes me completely out of roleplay and also highlights the bad dialogue, and you're bound by whatever inflection the designers and VA decide to put in a line. It took Bioware several blockbuster games and an entire cinematic focus before they could reasonably achieve this, and the impact on quests being linear and games becoming more action shooters than roleplay is still evident in their games.

Bitter End

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:54 am

I had great difficulty getting into the game as well.

I'd load up the game, explore a bit, kill a few pointless ghouls, go back to sanctuary, think about trying to work out who wasn't watering a melon patch so I could progress the settlement, and eventually think "meh" and I'd end up playing Borderlands instead.

I mean Skyrim had its flaws, but at this stage in Skyrim's release you couldn't get me off the computer with a crowbar. With F4 I have to force myself to play.

I think my main problem is with the player character. Not someone I could project my identity on to, and not someone interesting enough that I want to see what they do next.

Andrea P

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:52 am

No. All they see are the sales.

Well i'm hoping F4 will get there too after the DLCs expand the game and modders do their thing. I myself had pretty much the same feelings about Skyrim as i do about F4 right now, but it eventually turned out pretty great ^_^

But if so, i really need to stop buying these games until the full experience is available :shrug:
Austin Suggs

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion