Something is stopping me from playing

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:31 am

First off love Bethesda games and i put some serious hours into their games.

But after finishing fallout 4, i cannot play anymore but i am not sure exactly why. I put in over 1000 hours in skyrim and even more in vegas. But i don't want to log into fallout 4 at all.

A few reasons i think why:

Some things go against fallout lore (ghoul kid in a fridge for 200 years and alive.......).

The none stop settlements needing help has me avoiding them,preston and the radio.

I feel like i am playing someone elses character and not my own. I love the voiced acting but unlike DAI i feel like i am playing someone elses character.

I don't care about some kid and my guy won't stop crying over him.

Is anyone else having this problem as well?. I am trying to figure ways around these before dlc drops as i love fallout but i just can't stay on for more than a few minutes now.
Marta Wolko

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:53 am

Having to go to work is stopping me from playing. *sigh*

On a more serious note, the settlements are not necessary. I have only Sanctuary and even that I don't need.
john page

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:53 am

I concur.

Also reminder that FNV wasn't made by BGS but is a game by Obsidian - although how you could put so many hours into it (and into Skyrim) is beyond me :D

Benji

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:21 pm

Sounds like you are having issues with the story line itself. I honestly have not had this same problem. I really like the voiced protagonist, I haven't fully completed the main story so I can't comment on that. The kid your character is crying over is your son, I am sure you would be the same if that happened to you.

If you are not into actual 'role-playing' kind of gamer, then this could be a struggle for you.

Christina Trayler

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:12 am

If you can't "get into" looking for your son, just think of it this way...

With all the radiation you just may need the kid to donate some organs to you when yours start rotting away.
He is pretty much ready-made spare parts! ;)
And, you are only pretending to be actually worried about him so that other people don't think you are a monster, and hide him from you. (lol)
Haley Cooper

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:45 am

I just assumed that the ghoul kid was doing as kids are want to do and telling a tall tale. I took the whole bombs thing with a grain of salt. Also, the area is a war zone so the bombs referred to could have been more recent.

The settlements can take care of themselves, though Preston's constant quests are getting annoying. I'm thinking about trying a mod that supposedly stops him from giving you so many.

As an advlt I have no problem accepting the premise of the story and working with it so the fact that the story gives my character a reason to be out there exploring the wastes (some kid ... otherwise known as my characters son) rather than holing up in a bunker somewhere doesn't at all effect my ability to own my character.

krystal sowten

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:29 pm

Lol i can get behind that though i just cannot make my character feel like my own even at level 50. Plus put in that situation i wouldn't care for anyone but my self. In a world gone mad you can only trust one person and care for one.
Nicola

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:03 am

Philosophies of those two sentences contradict each other. Roleplaying doesn't mean "play a pre-set story".

Marilú

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:40 am

It might be the lack of diplomacy and reliance on "They're all bad. Shoot them all. don't even attempt to try a peaceful talk, turn turncoat or let them run away without us knowing. Kill them in cold blood just because we say so and don't question it. Actually, don't even let the NPCs there do any talking at all before fighting htem like in past Fallout games".

Yea... Railroad comes to mind.

Pawel Platek

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:49 pm

I'm 100% with you, OP. I almost made a "I DON'T GIVE A [censored] ABOUT SHAUN, STOP TALKING ABOUT HIM!" post, but decided against it. This game is taking all kinds of beating for the terrible story and IMO it has 0 replayability. I'm gonna finish it and then shelf it. It's a massive disappointment considering how good it could have been. Maybe I'll try again in a year or so when mods hopefully have changed just about everything.

Iain Lamb

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:07 am

I don't care about the stupid dragon but that didn't stop me from playing lots of Skyrim either? No, no I don't have your problem at all. As a matter of fact this is one of the best VANILLA Bethesda games I've played, and I easily started another save before the GECK is even on the horizon.

asako

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:44 am

I don't think OP has a problem with role playing, just having to roleplay the same guy/girl over and over again. There's literally no way to change this person's life story and be someone else since he won't stop talking about his damned kid.

Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:16 am

Yeah but i love fallout and i still play vegas and i just want to find a way to make fo4 feel that way. :(
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:44 am

It takes some imagination... and if you can log 1000+ hours (which I can't even fathom), then you should have plenty of it. I blazed through the main quest on my 1st playthrough, just to get the story. Now I'm on a character of MY choice. He's the minute man general and he's doing all the minute men things, which make it pretty fun.

I visit settlements, pass out weapons, ammo, armor... rescue people. It's been a good time playing along the story in my head.

Now yes, I still have to touch on the main quest, but I just spin it to suit my playstyle... the general of a (by now) large standing militia and settlement network of over 12 settlements is bound to catch wind of the situation. I'm just trying to help... and figure out what I can about the institute.. the BoS... the railroad, you name it.

Just have to put your own twist on it.. and the content is there to make it work.

CSar L

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:11 pm

It doesn't mean "not playing a pre-set story" either.

Every real-world actor is actually a role-player.
Very few real-world actors are improvisational actors...very, very few.
victoria gillis

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:22 pm

Yup, same here. About 800 hours on FONV and over 1000 on Skyrim. FO4 will be around 100, probably. I really wish it had the same feeling as the other ones. For all of Skyrim's faults, it's head and shoulders above FO4 in replayability, variety and atmosphere.

Lori Joe

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:30 pm

This in a nut shell take DAI for instance still doing new play throughs. As i can change the entire history of series before playing. Then i can take many paths heck still tonnes of endings i have not even seen and choices to make.
luis ortiz

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:09 am

Attempting to pass as a ''Fallout RPG'' is stopping me - The laughably streamlined and dull dialogue system is stopping me - The illusion of choice and consequence......

I could easily go on

RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:36 am

Indeed i am kinda holding out that the dlc will change this.
Lori Joe

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:37 am

I kind of kow what you mean. I will have to beat the game (and not let it take over 900 hours as it did for me to beat Skyrim).

Good thing is, I have an idea for next playthrough which I really want to do so I try to beat the game and do as much as I can as fast as I can.

Next playthough will be without Preston Garvey. I hope there will be a "Live Another Life-mod" available when I can start the new playthrough, will make thing smuch more fun. :)

Lizzie

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 am

You didn't put over 1000 hours in vanilla Skyrim.

Tanika O'Connell

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:50 am

My character has a very rational fear of coffee-tables.
When he was seven years old he was running in the house and stubbed his toe on a coffee-table.
Not wanting to get into trouble from his mother, for running in the house when she repeatedly told him not to do it, he didn't tell her he hurt himself, and the toe got infected.
It ended up having to be removed.
To this day he cannot enter any room which has a coffee-table in it.
He is now searching for his lost child fearing that Shaun may indeed be held captive in a furniture manufacturing factory, and fears Shaun may also run into a deadly coffee-table.
He MUST get there before the coffee-tables kill everybody!
Veronica Flores

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:29 am

Very true.

Inol Wakhid

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:53 am

It's really putting me off playing much as my character is such a goody-two-shoes :(

Genevieve

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:08 am

I hate that too.
Even the sarcastic replies are rather wussified.
In fact, the only people in the entire game that seem to have any real attitude are the raiders, and Cait. (lol)
Samantha Pattison

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion