TES V Ideas and Suggestions # 149,

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:15 pm

Seti, you can't make Bethesda not put something on the PC version just because they can't on the console versions.

What? I'm asking why the hotkey isn't good enough.
Bigze Stacks

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:18 pm

What?

You seem to be saying that you don't want them to give PC players something that console players can't use.
Daniel Brown

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am

You seem to be saying that you don't want them to give PC players something that console players can't use.

No, I don't, not for something major. This isn't major. PC players can have an extended hotkey, I don't really care. If Bethesda wanted to give PCs an exclusive DLC, I would be angry. However, this isn't DLC. I'm satisfied with the hotkey. I just don't see why 8 slots isn't enough. Anyway, the hotkey is definitely something that is an improvement over past Elder Scrolls games and I want it to stick around in future Elder Scrolls games.
victoria johnstone

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:10 pm

No, I don't, not for something major. This isn't major. PC players can have an extended hotkey, I don't really care. If Bethesda wanted to give PCs an exclusive DLC, I would be angry. However, this isn't DLC. I'm satisfied with the hotkey. I just don't see why 8 slots isn't enough. Anyway, the hotkey is definitely something that is an improvement over past Elder Scrolls games and I want it to stick around in future Elder Scrolls games.

Well the current 8 hotkeys are just fine, but console controllers can't really have more than 8 hotkeys. But since PC players can, it wouldn't hurt to give them more.
Ella Loapaga

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:45 pm

Well the current 8 hotkeys are just fine, but console controllers can't really have more than 8 hotkeys. But since PC players can, it wouldn't hurt to give them more.

Do game developers take the fact that console-like controllers can be used with PCs into consideration?
WTW

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:24 pm

I was just thinking the same thing, about the free running, AC style. It would make the 3rd person view totally worthwhile and like you said, give thieves/acrobats some awesome abilities.

It's like what Daniel_Kay said, about jumping towards a wall and not being able to go over it because you're an inch too short. Or hitting the edge of a cliff and thinking "Wow, even in real life I could have grabbed that." NPCs never jump either, so it takes away the "acrobat" feeling and just adds a "I'm a super-powered mutant who can escape the guards by jumping onto rooftops" feeling.
Tina Tupou

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 am

I hope they bring back the ability to rest outside city cell feature. Its annoying to have to find a bed or waste healing items in oblivion and fallout 3
Princess Johnson

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:53 pm

I hope they bring back the ability to rest outside city cell feature. Its annoying to have to find a bed or waste healing items in oblivion and fallout 3

I just had healing spells, you don't have to be a master mage to use them, and the Magicka came back. :]

But you can wait in Oblivion and Fallout 3. On the computer you just hit "T". You still healed up.

Ugh, my "perfect game" isn't going to come out for like 50 years. And then I'll be 66 and worrying about other things... unless they've found a cure to stop aging by then.

Hmmm... My plan for immortality has begun.

Either way, what I want in the next game, that I know wouldn't possibly be there, is NPCs that recognize eachother. Like a little kid runs by a store and he's actually able to do something like knock over a box and be scolded by the shopkeep, or a chef feeds the neighborhood dogs food every night because they're starving.

Or pirates that actually go on adventures that you can board the ship and stow-away for a while, or join their crew and sail the seven seas.

Or people that actually react when you run into them, or characters that will fall over if they run face-first into a wall.

Like I said, my "perfect game" isn't going to be coming out for a long time... I just hope TES: V comes close. :)
neen

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:08 pm

But you can wait in Oblivion and Fallout 3. On the computer you just hit "T". You still healed up.

Which is an issue. An hour wait will heal you to full. What in the hell is the point of sleeping then?
Louise Dennis

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:05 pm

Which is an issue. An hour wait will heal you to full. What in the hell is the point of sleeping then?

1. role-playing
2. leveling up
DAVId MArtInez

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:13 am

I just had healing spells, you don't have to be a master mage to use them, and the Magicka came back. :]

really?waiting on the pc version heals you?
Jordyn Youngman

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:49 am

Or pirates that actually go on adventures that you can board the ship and stow-away for a while, or join their crew and sail the seven seas.

Yeah, I was really disapoimted about how on Knights of the Nine when everyone goes off on awesome adventures for treasure while you sit in Cyrodiil fighting bears and trolls for pocket money. There needs to be grand adventures that you can go on with adventure partys in the next TES
W E I R D

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:26 am

Just leveling. :shrug:

They didn't really think that one out.

I didn't discover that until I was done dungeon plunging and fort desecrating. I think they just made it so people could run through the game, just like how they added fast traveling. You have to understand though, the generation that they're trying to appeal to uses the concept of "Instant Gratification". And I'm in that generation, I see it all the time. People my age and younger, and some older, actually, doing things that will have some pretty svcky long-term effects because they didn't feel like waiting.

The mentality of "You've only got 100 years to live, don't waste a single second." has transformed into "You've only got 100 years to live, don't wait for something better for a single second."

It's sad, in a way. That's why some good ideas are going down the tubes, not fast-paced enough. :(

I'm wondering what the next game's gonna be like. More towards detail to appeal to it's fans? Or more towards action to appeal to it's new consumers?

Maybe it'll be a balance.

I'm just hoping for some more details so I'm not stuck with pretending to have a conversation in the next game. Although, it's quite humorous sometimes.

"Hello Elania, how was your day?"

"Mudcrabs! Ugh, what's the point?"

"That's great to hear, and how's the mages' guild training been going?"

"I came across a ghost once. It seemed to svck the energy right out of me."

"Yeah, you've gotta study up on those potions."

What I want is some NPC interaction! Where you say everyday things to people and not "Rumors" or "Anvil"
:)Colleenn

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:17 pm

I totally agree. Once on Fallout 3 I broke both my arms and smashed my head. After waiting a bit I was all better. So if human beings can naturally heal fatal wounds just by standing there, why do hospitals even exist?
Sierra Ritsuka

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:38 pm

I totally agree. Once on Fallout 3 I broke both my arms and smashed my head. After waiting a bit I was all better. So if human beings can naturally heal fatal wounds just by standing there, why do hospitals even exist?

Oh wow, really?

I didn't know it was that extreme.

I was always hoping when my head was crippled that I couldn't see straight or I'd be tripping everywhere. They didn't really add much of an effect for having a crippled limb/head/torso. Maybe in TES: V you can make people levitate and then their bones break. Lol.
Jenna Fields

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:39 am

"You're wounded, you should see a healer." Whenever I hear this, I want to shout: They don't heal people! They only sell potions. Of course the problem just gets worse on Oblivion because not only does nobody seem to care if your leg is almost torn off, but healing is as easy as loitering in the street.
Taylor Tifany

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:18 pm

"You're wounded, you should see a healer." Whenever I hear this, I want to shout: They don't heal people! They only sell potions. Of course the problem just gets worse on Oblivion because not only does nobody seem to care if your leg is almost torn off, but healing is as easy as loitering in the street.

They flip if you're sick though.

"I don't want whatever you've got!!"

So maybe more NPC PC interaction?
Rob Davidson

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:05 am

Maybe in TES: V you can make people levitate and then their bones break. Lol.

Yeah, have it so that when I'm in jail I can just use magic to slam the guard into my cell and knock him out. Then I take the key and make my escape.
Silly human, you'll regret ever arresting a mage!!
Ladymorphine

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:55 am

I think that diesese should also be much more deadly. Having your character DIE wouldn't be to much fun, but maybe seeing NPCs get sick, and just maybe, causing a epidemic of plague (or corpus). Also have a bunch of crazy symptoms
Ellie English

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:04 am

Yeah, have it so that when I'm in jail I can just use magic to slam the guard into my cell and knock him out. Then I take the key and make my escape.
Silly human, you'll regret ever arresting a mage!!

You slowly watch him rise up with red magical tendrils wrapping around his limbs and slithering around as they float like spider-sild ribbons away from his body.

"Please! Don't!"

At that second, the tendrils tighten, and pull apart with great force, a loud crunching and snapping sound ensues, as the guard's limbs flail like rubber.

"Silly human, you'll regret ever arresting a mage!!"

The mage snatches the keys and runs away; as the body is forced strongly into the bars of the prison cell, knocking the guard unconscious. The mage looks to you, with a sort of misconstrued sympathy spread across his face.

"They'll regret ever arresting a mage!"

You're freed from your cell and told to follow. The next game begins.

(But in all honestly, telekenisis magic where the people actually go limp and you could manipulate them so you could throw them off a cliff or something would be fun. It'd be no fun if they couldn't grab onto things though.)
Richard

Post » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:02 pm

PLEASE COMMENT

NPC'S:

I think classes should include what they do for money and how they get food. Every day an NPC spends having not eaten, their health and fatigue go down a bit. the classes would be,

Food Farmer: Produces and harvests his own plants, such as wheat, corn, etc.; as well as cattle pigs etc. iff there is extra food, they sell it. And if they can afford it, they will buy a luxury.

Cash Crops: Harvests and produces cash-crops, like wine or tabaco. a traveling merchant would regularly trade him his crop for money and food. And if they can afford it, they will buy a luxury.

Hunter: most NPC's hunt, and is is the default if something messes up their original script. This would involve tracking down an animal they can easily kill, and killing them. the amount of meat produced is 3x what it would be for the player. If there is extra food, they sell it. And if they can afford it, they will buy a luxury.

Worker: They Get Raw materials and food from traveling merchants, and when the same merchant comes around agin they get the product of the raw material (Animal hide into leather clothes)

Merchant: has the amount if money they are willing to trade, as well as savings in the back. other NPC's go to traders regularly when they have spare cash and need something, so their cash fluctuates. at the end of every day; if the trader has made money then they put the extra in their savings. if they lost money, they replenish their supply.

Traveling merchants: Tie in the the farmers. they have no savings, as they buy in massive amounts. They go from farm stead to farmstead buying and selling food and cash-crops, as well as some luxuries. Their loop starts and ends in a major city, so that they can sell all but food with the merchants their, as well as re-stock.

Rich people: They have massive amounts of money, like millions and millions, hidden in a cell that the player cannot enter. They draw upon that cash through scripts when they go shopping, and they buy not only food, but many luxuries.

Working man: They do their job at a loss of fatigue, or (in the case of the fighter's guild) health. However, they get payed in cash depending on what job(s) they have, and will go buy food from a merchant, and if they can afford it, luxuries.

Beggars: They will sell information to thieves guild members, and if other NPC's have more than 5x what they are asking for, they will get charity. Every $1,000 the player gives to charity is worth 1 fame point, as an incentive to do so. They mostly have low responsibility, and if they see something lying in the street will most likely take it. They only buy food, and store all their money.

Vampires: Don't eat food. however, they will break into houses and feed on other NPC's. Before feeding, they will cast a non-hostile version of Paralyze on their target, to assure that they don't awake with fangs in their neck.

Inn Keeper: a specialized merchant. most will only sell beer, wine, and bread and will only buy from Traveling Merchants. Every Inn NPC pays 5 gold to them every night for sleep, even if there are more customers than beds.

Things common to all classes:

Scavenge; If somebody sees something lying around, they will most likely pick it up. If the item is owned (by the player or another NPC) then they might, depending on the object's value and their responsibility. High responsibility NPC's will pick up Player-owned objects and return them for a monetary reward.

Hunt; If they see a wild animal that they know they can easily best, they will kill it. if they see a non-fighting wild plant, they will harvest it.

Friendship; If a poor NPC has a disposition of 90+ with a Rich NPC, they will most likely get a loan. The loan will be payed of in ten months with no interest, unless the Rich NPC falls on hard times or gets a 70- Disposition towards the other one. In those cases, there will be 5% interest.

Improvement: If an Innkeeper, Food Farmer, or Traveling merchant save up 1000+ gold, they will move into the closest abandoned farmstead, and become a cash-crop Farmer. If a Cash crop farmer or Merchant saves up 10000+ gold, they will instantly get 1 million in 'savings' and become a rich person. A Begger or hunter who has saved up 500 gold will become a Food Farmer or Innkeep depending on which institution is closer (an abandoned Inn or an abandoned house)

Deprovment: If a npc don't have enough food to survive two more days, they will either join the thieves guild or church depending on their responsibility.
GLOW...

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:26 am

[snip]

I like it all except the ending part where the NPCs loan money, or they can get poor.

I'd understand a few fluctuations, but changing cells/schedules based on amount of money would be a hassle.

And wouldn't the beggars become normal citizens if you paid them enough?
Euan

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:27 am

Just leveling. :shrug:

They didn't really think that one out.

I didn't discover that until I was done dungeon plunging and fort desecrating. I think they just made it so people could run through the game, just like how they added fast traveling. You have to understand though, the generation that they're trying to appeal to uses the concept of "Instant Gratification". And I'm in that generation, I see it all the time. People my age and younger, and some older, actually, doing things that will have some pretty svcky long-term effects because they didn't feel like waiting.

The mentality of "You've only got 100 years to live, don't waste a single second." has transformed into "You've only got 100 years to live, don't wait for something better for a single second."

It's sad, in a way. That's why some good ideas are going down the tubes, not fast-paced enough. :(

I'm wondering what the next game's gonna be like. More towards detail to appeal to it's fans? Or more towards action to appeal to it's new consumers?

Maybe it'll be a balance.

I'm just hoping for some more details so I'm not stuck with pretending to have a conversation in the next game. Although, it's quite humorous sometimes.

"Hello Elania, how was your day?"

"Mudcrabs! Ugh, what's the point?"

"That's great to hear, and how's the mages' guild training been going?"

"I came across a ghost once. It seemed to svck the energy right out of me."

"Yeah, you've gotta study up on those potions."

What I want is some NPC interaction! Where you say everyday things to people and not "Rumors" or "Anvil"

Exactly, I want more detail less action, there are plenty of action games out there, go play them, I want a world so full of detail I can spend the rest of my life playing it and enjoying every single part of it. I want to be able to feel like I'm living in another world, not exploring a canvas with pretty colours.

I stand by these two posts, they are what I want in the game. http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1068055&view=findpost&p=15525943 and http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=1068055&view=findpost&p=15525966

Stephen.
John Moore

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 4:02 am

Don't Forget this is on to something. The AI on Oblivion was really good. Better then Morrowinds. And Morrowinds AI was much better then Daggerfalls. Let's hope they continue the pattern for TES V
Ann Church

Post » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 am

Exactly, I want more detail less action, there are plenty of action games out there, go play them, I want a world so full of detail I can spend the rest of my life playing it and enjoying every single part of it. I want to be able to feel like I'm living in another world, not exploring a canvas with pretty colours.

Right on! Morrowind swept me up with it's detail. The fact that the lore was told differently by different people with different points of interest was cool. Detail in government and laws is also a big plus. Having a stupid law like loitering on someones yard is a huge imporvement over getting in trouble just for stealing, murder, etc.
Kelsey Hall

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion