Tesla Cannon, God's Smiting Stick

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:15 am

The Holorifle fires more slowly, does less damage (unless modded), has a slower/lower damage DoT, and is less accurate, even when modded.

1 Fair enough but not by much .2 As you say when modded it does more 3 Same reason as 2. 4 Maybe but the projectile itself seems to be rather wide and easy to hit the target with .But the big trump card is well the cards is that it uses 1 mfc per shot and doesn't cost 20k to fully repair like the TCB .And it's rather hard to even get a normal tesla cannon as i'm sure you can only get it at hidden valley .Moral of the story is TCB is 20k for a weapon that is slightly worse than the holo rifle .And the tcb pre patch was a better blue print so to speak for diversity couldn't you just of kept it one shot reload and bumped the damage up and lowered the ammo consumption instead of making a holo rifle wannabe ?
sam westover

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am

And the tcb pre patch was a better blue print so to speak for diversity couldn't you just of kept it one shot reload and bumped the damage up and lowered the ammo consumption instead of making a holo rifle wannabe ?
Then it'd start competing with the Gauss Rifle as a 'high damage single shot sniper' weapon, except without a scope.
Amy Siebenhaar

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm

pft, did the math agian, and Beaton is weaker than the normal tesla (per battery)

Sawyer, any reason for this? (Even if it's just 1 damage less =P)
Add Me

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm

Then it'd start competing with the Gauss Rifle as a 'high damage single shot sniper' weapon, except without a scope.

That would be good actually as there isn't a rival for the gauss rifle were as having a rival for the holo rifle easily the best wep in the game is stupid when the TCB gets mauled and serves no purpose but if it competed against the Gauss it would just be preference i e DIVERSITY. :facepalm:
Elina

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:07 pm

Exactly, Holorifle is the King of EW

They aren't good for close range/indoor (self explanatory) or long range fights (the most accurate weapon is Annabelle, which will never beat a sniper in terms of accuracy). They're good, but not very versatile.

Annabelle can knock out as many as 12 Deathclaws in a single HE missile expended, can your sniper rifle?
Nany Smith

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:14 am

That would be good actually as there isn't a rival for the gauss rifle were as having a rival for the holo rifle easily the best wep in the game is stupid when the TCB gets mauled and serves no purpose but if it competed against the Gauss it would just be preference i e DIVERSITY. :facepalm:

If you read Sawyer's posts from earlier, he explained that when DLC weapons are brought into the mix then of course you'll get overlaps, they were fitting the tesla in that gap cause there wanst a gun there in the original game.
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:50 am

If you read Sawyer's posts from earlier, he explained that when DLC weapons are brought into the mix then of course you'll get overlaps, they were fitting the tesla in that gap cause there wanst a gun there in the original game.

I understand but it's still a fiasco tbh .
Justin Hankins

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:20 pm

how is the Beaton different from the cannon?
lacy lake

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:45 am

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tesla-Beaton_prototype http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Tesla_cannon_(Fallout:_New_Vegas)
Chenae Butler

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:50 pm

Annabelle can knock out as many as 12 Deathclaws in a single HE missile expended, can your sniper rifle?

You're just proving my point. Annabelle is meant as a crowd control weapon, while the Sniper/AMR is meant for, well, sniping. For your particular example, an Annabelle would be better. For all around use (indoors, outdoors, heavy-armor, light-armor), Guns are better because they're more versatile. In your example, sneak attack headshot from a silenced sniper rifle would easily one shot a Deathclaw, without alerting the others. You could then proceed to destroy the rest of them. In other situations, what if a swarm of cazadors rush you? Are you going to use Annabelle and potentially cripple your limbs? Or would you rather use a CZ57, or LMG, or Automatic Rifle, to destroy them. What about indoors? Guns would do better in most situations. That doesn't mean explosives are useless, far from it. Their limited use, however, is what makes them not as versatile as guns, and what ultimately leads me to consider them a "support skill."
Carys

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:18 am

Back on topic, though, the TBP getting an AoE will make it unique, not just a weaker Holorifle. It only really needed a damage boost and reduced ammo consumption, but the patch removed the AoE that made it a truly unique weapon. actually, a good idea would be to give only the TBP the AoE, and not the regular Tesla Cannon. That would make it stand out not only as a unique weapon, but also with its distinct role as a crowd control weapon.
Amelia Pritchard

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:34 pm

I hope you realize you can kill the Legendary Deathclaw on hard with one clip of the Beaton (Or close to it)

And if you have Fast Shot like me.... WHUUUSH WHUUSH WHUUSH WUUUUUSH Dead Legend.
Crystal Clarke

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 am

I hope you realize you can kill the Legendary Deathclaw on hard with one clip of the Beaton (Or close to it)

And if you have Fast Shot like me.... WHUUUSH WHUUSH WHUUSH WUUUUUSH Dead Legend.

I'm not criticizing the damage the Beaton does, at all. Please read carefully next time. I was saying to make it a better crowd control weapon, not increase its damage. In your example, using a holorifle or YCS would be better as you're focusing on individual targets.
dell

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:26 am

I'm not criticizing the damage the Beaton does, at all. Please read carefully next time. I was saying to make it a better crowd control weapon, not increase its damage. In your example, using a holorifle or YCS would be better as you're focusing on individual targets.

This.
Nicholas

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 11:50 am

As a top-tier weapon, it should be something unique and powerful. It might be too late to implement now, but I'm sure the devs could do it if they wanted. Please Josh Sawyer, do something with the TBP that makes it stand out as an EW!
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:55 am

I wish we had a gun like that on very hard with hardcoe mode enabled almost every gun feels weak
Tessa Mullins

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:27 am

I wish we had a gun like that on very hard with hardcoe mode enabled almost every gun feels weak

I see what you mean, but a DAM boost is not really what they need. However, a crit build using a TBP with some sort of AoE effect could definitely destroy even the toughest enemies on VH+hardcoe.
Stu Clarke

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:47 am

As a top-tier weapon, it should be something unique and powerful. It might be too late to implement now, but I'm sure the devs could do it if they wanted. Please Josh Sawyer, do something with the TBP that makes it stand out as an EW!

I see what you mean, but a DAM boost is not really what they need. However, a crit build using a TBP with some sort of AoE effect could definitely destroy even the toughest enemies on VH+hardcoe.

A lot of you are missing the point of this.

The Beaton isnt supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the game, in Sawyer's own words "If it were definitively the best EW, that would be a failure on my part. Weapons are tools for tasks and are designed for diversity."
MR.BIGG

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:43 pm

The Beaton isnt supposed to be the most powerful weapon in the game, in Sawyer's own words "If it were definitively the best EW, that would be a failure on my part. Weapons are tools for tasks and are designed for diversity."

It is however suppose to be a top tier Enegry Weapon. It is still is, however I found it have lack of personality that JE try to breath in.
El Goose

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:57 am

I'm lost. I'm pretty sure the Tesla Cannon was cut from the final version of the game, but the Beaton was placed. I keep hearing as if there is a regular Tesla Cannon.
Arnold Wet

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 am

Actually, you're missing my point. The TBP should be distinct in its role. Look at all the other top EW. For close range, you have the Plasma Caster (armored targets), and the Gatling Laser (unarmored targets). For medium range to long range, you've got the Q-35 and Holorifle. In this case, you'd be better off using the Holorfifle, as it does far more while taking the same amount of ammo. For sniping, you have the Gauss Rifle. Tell me, then, what does the Beaton do, that other EWs don't already accomplish. Its low RoF means it'll lose out to the two specialized close range EWs (Gatling Laser and Plasma Caster). For medium to long range encounters, it definitely beats the Q-35, but not the Holorifle. Economically, the Holorifle is far superior, and when modded, beats the Beaton in terms of damage also. For sniping, you're going to want to use sneak attack criticals, which the Gauss and YCS do with much better results. Sawyer tried to make all the weapons have some purpose at which they excel at, but the TBP really doesn't have one; at least not one that isn't already achieved (with better results) by another top-tier Energy Weapon. That's why I was asking for the TBP to turn into an EW equivalent for Annabelle. Obviously, not as good (with the patch, Annabelle is extremely powerful), so that Explosives don't lose their attractiveness, but something like a weaker, 4 shot Annabelle would be perfect.
Brandon Wilson

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:53 pm

Actually, you're missing my point. The TBP should be distinct in its role. Look at all the other top EW. For close range, you have the Plasma Caster (armored targets), and the Gatling Laser (unarmored targets). For medium range to long range, you've got the Q-35 and Holorifle. In this case, you'd be better off using the Holorfifle, as it does far more while taking the same amount of ammo. For sniping, you have the Gauss Rifle. Tell me, then, what does the Beaton do, that other EWs don't already accomplish. Its low RoF means it'll lose out to the two specialized close range EWs (Gatling Laser and Plasma Caster). For medium to long range encounters, it definitely beats the Q-35, but not the Holorifle. Economically, the Holorifle is far superior, and when modded, beats the Beaton in terms of damage also. For sniping, you're going to want to use sneak attack criticals, which the Gauss and YCS do with much better results. Sawyer tried to make all the weapons have some purpose at which they excel at, but the TBP really doesn't have one; at least not one that isn't already achieved (with better results) by another top-tier Energy Weapon. That's why I was asking for the TBP to turn into an EW equivalent for Annabelle. Obviously, not as good (with the patch, Annabelle is extremely powerful), so that Explosives don't lose their attractiveness, but something like a weaker, 4 shot Annabelle would be perfect.

OKay okay okay okay....woah slow down and read Sawyer's pervious posts...all of which explain this. Also, try some spacing, walls of text are hard to read.

The Tesla Cannon is similar to the Holorifle, but the Holorifle is a DLC-only weapon. Part of why I set the TC up as I did is because the Holorifle felt satisfying to use. There's bound to be overlap between functionality in DLC and core game weapons, and I don't think it's bad in this case.

For people who would rather run and gun than snipe, the Tesla Cannon does more damage per shot than the YCS/186 and fires much faster.

Ignore the Holorifle.....some people (like me) dont have the DLC, thats where the Beaton comes in. Its a mid range sniping weapon that takes the same place as the holorifle for the people that dont have the DLC, or dont want to got to the DLC area to et the holorifle. All nice that you have the DLC and get the Holorifle, me? after doing a crap load of testing which i posted back in a previous post, Im now keeping the Beaton on my compainion at all times, for them it a very effecitve weapon.

Are you seriously saying that pre-patch you were frequently using the Beaton to group kill things with it's small AoE? Giving it AoE at this point makes the gun too powerful.
Tina Tupou

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 7:03 pm

OKay okay okay okay....woah slow down and read Sawyer's pervious posts...all of which explain this. Also, try some spacing, walls of text are hard to read.
Ignore the Holorifle.....some people (like me) dont have the DLC, thats where the Beaton comes in. Its a mid range sniping weapon that takes the same place as the holorifle for thew people that dont have the DLC, or dont want to got to the DLC area to et the holorifle. All nice that you have the DLC and get the Holorifle, me? after doing a crap load of testing which i posted back ni my previous post, Im now keeping the Beaton on my compainion at all times, for them it a very effecitve weapon.
Are you seriously saying that pre-patch you were frequently using the Beaton to group kill things with it's small AoE? Giving it AoE at this point makes the gun too powerful.

Apologies for the wall of text. Anyway, I did read Sawyer's posts, thank you very much, and he seems adamant that AoE weapons are meant only for the Explosives category. Fallout 3, which I believe was the first game to feature the weapon, had a Tesla Cannon with an AoE effect. I don't see why this would change for NV.

You make a fair point on the DLC thing, but that's still no reason to completely ignore the fact that the TBP is completely outclassed by a DLC weapon (a 50 skill weapon I might add). Making it an AoE weapon will truly make it the unique, even for an EW, piece of technology that it is. Again, if you don't care to, Josh Sawyer, then don't do it. I'm simply suggesting an alternative. It's your game, you're more experienced at this than me, so it's entirely up to you.

Edit: Also, I really recommend getting the Dead Money. It's a nice change, and adds far more content than the Fallout 3 DLCs. It's a steal for only $10 (unless you don't have Live, Steam or PSN).
Nancy RIP

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:45 pm

It is however suppose to be a top tier Enegry Weapon. It is still is, however I found it have lack of personality that JE try to breath in.

Exactly, it is not a distinct weapon at all.

I'm lost. I'm pretty sure the Tesla Cannon was cut from the final version of the game, but the Beaton was placed. I keep hearing as if there is a regular Tesla Cannon.

There are some Tesla Cannons in the game, and the Beaton is the unique variant.
George PUluse

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:44 am

Ignore the Holorifle.....some people (like me) dont have the DLC, thats where the Beaton comes in. Its a mid range sniping weapon that takes the same place as the holorifle for the people that dont have the DLC, or dont want to got to the DLC area to et the holorifle. All nice that you have the DLC and get the Holorifle, me? after doing a crap load of testing which i posted back in a previous post, Im now keeping the Beaton on my compainion at all times, for them it a very effecitve weapon.

You don't have the DLC dun dun dun :facepalm:
Georgine Lee

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas