The Five Hundred Mighty Companions or Thereabouts of Ysgramo

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:27 pm

I somehow doubt I'm anywhere in there, I've got a name for another part of the rhetoric. Though Mehga the Mead-Milker does look suspicious.

(That and I've got my own epic and I'm not complaining. Even if I don't like it very much. But whatever.)
Dean Brown

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:05 am

Topal who loved canoes too much – Topal the Pilot?
Perrif and Perrif and… - I seem to recall that the human slaves of the Ayleids were not allowed to choose there own names, maybe Perrif is Ayleid for ‘female slave’.
Kjanorr who took a spear in his teeth cursing Merish walking-gods – a reference to Anumidium?
Pale Pass the snake-fighter – Reman I fought against the Akaviri invasion in 1E2703
Longboat Four-Score – The Reman Empires Four Score War (1E2840 – 1E2920) with Morrowind (Morag)

The song seems to be a symbolic account of history from at least the beginning of the Merethic Era to the end of the First Era and the demise of the Reman dynasty.

In the final paragraph of the song the names of the Jills/Drakes (Dragons) are distinctly different and I would guess by the name Faajoorliidovahilagar that they are composed in the Dragon language. Tsuunalinfaxtir and St’unuhaslifafnal (Tsun and Stuhn?) are also mentioned in this passage, perhaps all the Nordic pantheon appears here as Dragons, perhaps they always were...

I wonder if the song of return finishes with the Dragons first return to the current Kalpa, somehow they were defeated at the end of the First Era.

“Their defeat was merely delay” -Esbern
ShOrty

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:27 pm

Kjanorr who took a spear in his teeth cursing Merish walking-gods – a reference to Anumidium?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW-Concept16.jpg.
Eileen Collinson

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:05 am

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/File:MW-Concept16.jpg.

Looks more like he has crabs.
gary lee

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:10 am

Perrif and Perrif and… - I seem to recall that the human slaves of the Ayleids were not allowed to choose there own names, maybe Perrif is Ayleid for ‘female slave’.

Perrif was one of the names Morihaus called Alessia, wasn't it?
Theodore Walling

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:28 pm

In "The Adabal-a," Perrif is the first name given for the Mother of Man, and it is how she is identified during her youth, though it is ambiguous if this was her original name or if it was one of the names Morihaus gave her, because it is later listed as a variant of Paravant (the etymology of which is intriguing on its own). "Names of the Mother Cyrod" is more explicit, because this is its subject: it says that her name was Perrif when she was a slave, "which meant 'girl' in the language of one tribe or another, and Girl was the only name she had in any language."

Whatever the case, while Perrif may have been a common name before the rise of the Riverqueen, "The Water-getting Girl and the Inverse Tiger" makes it clear that Perrif was a common name because "in those days most girls were named after the Paravania."
Roberto Gaeta

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:00 am

So...many...nords... :o
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:08 am

And so little time.
Nicola

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:31 am

So do you guys think this and Shor son of Shor are new books that will show up in Skyrim or is MK just doing this for fun?
Chica Cheve

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:45 am

He's dumping books that got cut from the game, I'm betting.

Either that or he's just stirring the pot of excitement for us.

And so little time.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_nVGyx975u38/RolCw01KE2I/AAAAAAAAAto/zHXX0lje300/s400/Chrono+Trigger+Epoch+Machine.PNG

Aaaand, I think I killed the thread.
Jennifer Munroe

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:45 pm

Book or dialogue, I'd be surprised, were the Aldudaggavelashadingas, Shor, son of Shor, and The Five Hundred Companions or Thereabouts of Ysgramor the Returned to be in Skyrim.

I expect Skyrim will be very serious business; very "let us do battle with serious faces and not read books or laugh."
Rebecca Clare Smith

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:20 pm

"for you were there as you are here and let Shor’s hole-shadow beleaguer ye not. "

Reference to the song in my name?
Steph

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:20 am

Actually, the Beetles were referencing the 500 Companions.
gemma king

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:42 am

Actually, the Beetles were referencing the 500 Companions.

Michael Kirkbride was born after the Beatles broke up. Dragon Break?
x_JeNnY_x

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:46 pm

The Jills of Akatosh have mended this Numidium. The Beatles remain as they were - high priests of pop.
DeeD

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 am

Finally managed to finish reading it. How did you come up with all those names?
(G-yen)

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:30 pm

Finally managed to finish reading it. How did you come up with all those names?

By being among the Heroes and taking stock. You were there, as well.
hannaH

Post » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:41 pm

Under my name or another, I wonder? I do have quite a many.
HARDHEAD

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:18 am

Under my name or another

Exactly.
Ashley Clifft

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:08 am

So no love for me, eh? Some rockstar you are :P

Some random thoughts:

Although we know that life started in Tamriel, we don't really have a story of its exile to Atmora (as far as I can tell, the gap between Shor at Hrothgar and Ysgramor returning to Skyrim is unbridged). Atmora is also listed distinctly from Aldmeris (later split off into Tamriel et al.) in [some text that I literally an hour ago but can't remember the name of]. Frontier, Conquest, and Accommodation speaks of civil war in Atmora - perhaps it was instead the Dawn? The translation of Atmora, a frozen wasteland, as "elder wood" only adds to the mystery. Is Atmora perhaps a previous incarnation of Tamriel, left over from a previous kalpa?

"Despite the swinging lamps of the karstaags, great horns were often blasted from one boat-caller to another to keep the Row of Succession on their proper bearings, for Ysgramor’s Gathered have always been an unruly lot, even in make-war time." A great and overlooked line. Are we speaking of literal waves of heroes or of different comings of gods, each sailing (Yokudan: jumping) from Atmora (the previous age) into Tamriel, the new? Or perhaps they really are hero god-aspects arriving in Tamriel, given the similarity in names. Interesting to see that some are still alive today. Compare: "As the old world died, Satakal began, and when things realized this pattern so did they realize what their part in it was. ... they strode about looking for their kin. As Satakal ate itself over and over, the strongest spirits learned to bypass the cycle by moving at strange angles. They called this process the Walkabout, a way of striding between the worldskins. Ruptga was so big that he was able to place the stars in the sky so that weaker spirits might find their way easier. This practice became so easy for the spirits that it became a place, called the Far Shores, a time of waiting until the next skin." So Atmora as the Far Shores where the manish spirits go between worlds?

The more I read the more convinced I become that this is just another version of the Dawn/monomyth scenario.
des lynam

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:55 am

This is a joke, I know, but I hope you haven't missed the point. I wouldn't worry too much about who might be what name, that has about as much significance as if they were named after items in his desk draw. It's not about the names.
Laura Shipley

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:50 am

You knew about this longer than most, lady. Quit yer cryin'. :violin:

As for the rest of your post, yes, carry on. Dig for fire.
Jerry Cox

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:17 am

This is a joke, I know, but I hope you haven't missed the point.

I'd like to think I haven't. I've never been particularly good at this joke stuff.
Erika Ellsworth

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:58 am

Wow thats pretty clever.
Lauren Dale

Post » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:39 am

As always an intriguing read. A question, if I may:

"Mnenatmetmoraldumirirekyetrethaalnenjaarighuru" = A guru born under Mnemoli? Or an anomaly who become a guru? A confusing forename (as in the usage of "Mne", which appears only once in the list) at least. Nordic names are odd, yes, but that leaped off the page at me.

Edit: Ok theres two: Mnelet is the other
Edit 2: Make it a hat-trick: Mnegmegh the Banner-Lamp who settled affairs with all foreign and jingoistic winds
"jingoism (?d???ɡ????z?m)
— n
the belligerent spirit or foreign policy of jingoes; chauvinism". Very interesting.

Ciriul = Cereal (lol)
- The Red(?) = as in Rhedd?
Ocne the Clever Man = nah, couldn't be
Mehga the Mead-Milker (lol)
eight Rye Slaves of Ris = I had heard of Ris ages and ages ago, a famous maker of whiskey, correct?

Most of these are very amusing names indeed.

A "P.S.": Mnemoli = Anomaly? Would fit in the grand scheme of things and actually makes tons of sense.

Edit the final: I stopped counting at 517
Bek Rideout

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion