The Status of Canada?

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:49 am

I'm not %100 sure what happened to Canada in the Fallout universe ,anyone have any information to share?

Johanna Van Drunick

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:59 am

Canada refused to help America when China invaded Alaska in 2066. America invaded Canada soon after. They did whatever they wanted in Canada until they finally annexed it completely in 2077. We know Vault Tec built at least one Vault in Canada.

We don't really know what has happened to Canada after the Great War. It has been mentioned in every Fallout to date. There has even been some characters from Canada in the Fallout series.

"Canada wasn't scary, just sickening, the criminality of it" - Randall Clark.

Sophie Payne

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:36 pm

Its also speculated that the "Ronto" Ashur mentions in The Pitt DLC for Fallout 3 is actually Toronto in Canada. According to Ashur, it is a well known military power.

Alister Scott

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:50 pm

Not sure about the military power part. But we know Randall Clarks rifle came from Toronto. Which means there were armories active there before the Great War. Toronto being the largest city in Canada. It would have a high number of America troops there to keep the population in control. Which means a lot of military weapons and such were in the area. So it wouldn't shock me to find that there is a sizable military faction in control of the area.

Captian Caveman

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:19 pm

I'm pretty sure he mentioned them as a major military power when mentioning how strong the Pitt would become along with mentioning how technologically advanced the Commonwealth is.

Erich Lendermon

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:24 am

Yep, though he mentions the industry of the Commonwealth, not how advanced its tech is.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ishmael_Ashur

"Citizens of The Pitt, workers of Downtown, traders of Uptown, and all fierce souls who do what must be done! I bring you good news! We stand at the dawn of a new golden age. Where others merely survive, we thrive! Our industry is the envy of the Commonwealth! Our safety is the envy of the Capital Wastes! Our might is the envy of Ronto! And while I have led your efforts, it has been by your own strength that you have earned all of the envy of the world. They envy the steel shaped by the workers in our mills, and they envy the strength of our traders and raiders who wield that steel for The Pitt. And most of all, they envy our victories in the struggle for freedom. Because, yes, freedom is what we all work towards. Freedom from fear, freedom from disease, freedom to live as once we did before we were shackled by atomic fire! And so, to celebrate this struggle, I ask my loyal workers: who among you is prepared to fight for your freedom? Who among you will risk your life in the crucible to create a new life of freedom in Uptown? Who will take this rare chance to thrive?"

vicki kitterman

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:08 pm

I don't know for sure of course, but I think Toronto Ohio is more likely in this case seeing as how it's closer to Pittsburgh.

Miss Hayley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:56 pm

I would disagree based on that it makes more sense to reference the place more people know about, aka Toronto Canada, then a small city in Ohio.

Kelly John

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:58 pm

If we're talking sense then don't you think it makes far more sense to me for Ronto to be the Toronto that's a one hour drive away from Pittsburgh, as opposed to the Toronto that's a six to seven hour drive away?

Obviously I don't know what Toronto they're referring to for sure, but I find the Toronto in Ohio to be the far more likely candidate since it's a heck of a lot closer. Just because Toronto, Ohio is less popular than the Canadian city doesn't mean it's non-existent.

Loane

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:59 am

If Ronto was really that close, one would suspect The Pitt would have been fighting them, or had gotten taken over by now.

In his speech, Ashur mentions the D.C. Wastleand, which is a 4 hour 20 mintues drive away, and The Institute, which is a 9 hour 38 mintue drive away, along with Ronto. The "major powers" of the east coast are all fairly distant from eachother, yet everyone knows them.

Also, going from Pittsburgh to Toronto is a 5 hour drive according to google maps.

alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:21 pm

I can't imagine he's referencing Toronto, Ohio. A relatively small city of 5,000 people with little to no notability.

Ronto has to be Toronto, Canada. Its the only thing that really makes sense.

Jessica Phoenix

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:23 pm

It makes more sense that it was Toronto Canada. Given that places such as the "Erie Stretch" are mentioned. Though we don't know for sure where that is it would suggest Lake Erie and the Great Lakes in general . The land between Lake Ontario and Lake Erie. Toronto Ontario being an hour or so North of that area.

Given how many times Canada is mentioned in the Fallout Series and Randall Clarks gun coming from Canada and suggesting he was in Canada. Meaning a possible American military being stationed in Toronto "to keep the peace" it would make sense that Ronto is Toronto ON, Canada.

Why bring up Toronto Ohio which people pointed out as only about 5000 people.

Bellismydesi

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:04 pm

The distance obviously. It's implied that a good number of slaves come from Ronto based on the dialogue of that one snitch, and in that situation I think it makes far more sense for Ronto to be the Toronto that's actually relatively close to Pittsburgh.

Alexander Horton

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 am

As AwesomePossum said, distance is completely irrelevant. Ashur references the Commonwealth and the Capital Wasteland in the same breath, and those are just about as distant places as Toronto. The Commonwealth being more so.

He's talking about major powers in the East, not those which are in the immediate vicinity of Pittsburgh. Ronto, The Commonwealth, and the Capital Wasteland. The Commonwealth has the Institute, and the Capital Wasteland has the Brotherhood of Steel.

I think like Styles said, Toronto was a major U.S. military base in Canada for the annexation. Possibly the largest contingent of deployed U.S. soldiers at the time (aside from the land war in China of course), since Canada was a recently annexed territory. Which may explain why Ashur mentions its military power. Perhaps they have a large amount of pre-war U.S. military equipment and ordinance.

Monika Fiolek

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 pm

Based on dialog across Fallout 3 and its DLC, this(below link) is the rough area of what the East Coasters know of, civlization wise.

https://i.imgur.com/j1ytGhC.jpg

Ronto isnt that far from the Pitt, it's no real greater distance then the C.W. is, and the Institute is many times farther.

Carlos Rojas

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:07 pm

I get the distance part but that's about the only thing going for it. If "The Erie Stretch" is a place between lake Erie and Ontario. Then Toronto Ontario wouldn't be so far.

We know in Tactics and such that it is mentioned that slavers have vast networks. We can also just look at the orginals and see it isn't out of the norm for people to have such large areas of control or least distances that they travel.

Elle H

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 am

I honestly don't remember Ashur ever referencing the Capital Wasteland or the Commonwealth, but it's been a while since I played Fallout 3.

Dawn Porter

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:33 am

Here's the relevant excerpt from his speech:

"Citizens of The Pitt, workers of Downtown, traders of Uptown, and all the fierce souls who do what must be done! I bring you good news! We stand at the dawn of a new golden age. Where others merely survive, we thrive! Our industry is the envy of the Commonwealth! Our safety is the envy of the Capital Wastes! Our might is the envy of Ronto!..."

Yvonne Gruening

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:58 am

He does and what I've always found strange that he says that their "safety is the envy of the capital wastes". It's strange he says that their industry is the envy of the Commonwealth, with that being a place where awesome technology comes from so that's obvious exaggaration. Then safety being the envy of the capital wastes? Isn't that like "no [censored] it's safer than the place which doesn't have a central military power ruling and protecting it". It would be more apt if it was post-MQ CW. Meaning the Pitt possibly canonically takes place after the MQ?

Sista Sila

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:29 pm

According to Emil, or w/e his name is, Tenpenny came to the C.W. to seek his fortune, and then goes on to say how bad places like Europe must be if people are going to America to seek their fortune.

The C.W. apparently has a reputation for being a "safer place" and "a better place to seek your fortune" then the rest of the East Coast/Europe. Most likely due to the presence of the Brotherhood of Steel.

Jason King

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:51 pm

The Institute has highly advanced technology, but that's doesn't necessarily equate to sheer raw manufacturing power, which is probably more or less what Ashur is referring to. The Institute may be like the Enclave, producing small numbers of high technology items (APA etc.) but Ashur is talking about producing thousands of tons of steel and mass-produced material.

He's still probably exaggerating, but he's not comparing the Pitt's technology with that of the Commonwealth.

mishionary

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 pm

Emil Pagliarulo. The BoS is present but they don't do much of anything - seemingly, of course the game itself can't portray lore correctly due to limitations - they only start being active after they get Project Purity.

Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:17 pm

According to various NPCs in Fallout 3 the BoS used to protect all over the C.W, Manya Vargas mentions they used to protect Megaton from super mutant and raider attacks, but they also say the group has fallen on hard times recently.

The splitting of the outcasts, who took a good number of power armor and laser weaponry with them, and the constant war to try to keep the Super Mutants bottled up in the D.C. ruins has taken a toll on them, which is partly why they had to start open recruitment.

Nauty

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 pm

True.

We also shouldn't forget that the Institute ≠ the Commonwealth.

Tessa Mullins

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:40 pm

This is an important thing to remember.

The Institute is just one small area in Boston, while The Commonwealth covers the entire state of Massachusetts, and possibly the remains of the entire pre-war New England Commonwealth, which consisted of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and Connecticut.

Lloyd Muldowney

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion