The Towers

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:12 pm

What about them?

Oh nevermind. I just misunderstood something.

Out of curiousity, what is the stone in Direnni Tower?
leni

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 pm

"The impossipoint of the Convention"

... i have no idea what that means :P
Wane Peters

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:44 pm

Oh nevermind. I just misunderstood something.

Out of curiousity, what is the stone in Direnni Tower?

Adamantia is it's own Stone, according to Nu-Hatta. And I saw some people question that as odd in the thread.
Ridhwan Hemsome

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:26 pm

Adamantia is it's own Stone, according to Nu-Hatta. And I saw some people question that as odd in the thread.

Indeed it is.

Concerning "dead" towers, specifically Orichalc, what implications could this provide for Nirn? I know towers harvest Creatia and whatnot, but seeing as Orichalc is "destroyed" along with Anumidum, it doesn't seem like it has a direct implification. I'm sure I'm very wrong.
Trent Theriot

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

The divide between man and mer came after convention, when Lorkhan was judged, hunted down, and his heart cast into the mundus.
2. As much as 'before' applies in a period without linear time, Lorkhan had to be defeated before the convention because after the convention the gods left.

I think the two of you are restricting the Convention too much:
    "After these two acts, which is commonly called the Convention, the gods left the earth."http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/nu-hatta_nu-mantia.shtml
The two act as it seems are the creation of the first two towers, meaning that the convention covers everything from Akatosh arriving through the death of Lorkhan and the creation of Red Mountain. Meaning that the "divide between man and mer came" during Convention and meaning "Lorkhan had to be defeated" during the Convention when he "was judged, hunted down, and his heart cast into the mundus", after-which "the gods left"...
daniel royle

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:59 pm

It is like the "infinite improbability" of a quantum waveform function. The way I take it, it means that the convention is "Timeless", in that all of time is encompassed by the convention. The convention, IS, WAS, and ALWAYS WILL BE. The location of the convention is "here", "There", "over there" and "Down yonder" all at the same time. Which is to say, it is no place in particular, but rather "everywhere" at the same "time."

The fact that I exist inside mortal time, is proof that I am also at the convention. ;)
Maddy Paul

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Indeed it is.

Concerning "dead" towers, specifically Orichalc, what implications could this provide for Nirn? I know towers harvest Creatia and whatnot, but seeing as Orichalc is "destroyed" along with Anumidum, it doesn't seem like it has a direct implification. I'm sure I'm very wrong.

You mean besides Oblivion's Main Quest?
lucile

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:24 pm

You mean besides Oblivion's Main Quest?

I think he means-- "If the Orihalc tower deactivated, wouldn't it's impact on reality be rescinded as soon as it was?"

EG, if I have a tower which makes all the mushroom of Vvardenfell into purple and green monstrosities, and it gets deactivated, shouldnt the effect (Turning all the mushrooms purple and green) go away?
Jenna Fields

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:17 pm

I think he means-- "If the Orihalc tower deactivated, wouldn't it's impact on reality be rescinded as soon as it was?"
EG, if I have a tower which makes all the mushroom of Vvardenfell into purple and green monstrosities, and it gets deactivated, shouldnt the effect (Turning all the mushrooms purple and green) go away?

Indeed that's what I wanted to know, and I'm under the impression that was moreso the First Stone's "displacement" rather than a general Tower's deactivation.

edit: and I just learn that "Orichalc" means "Brass"! :goodjob: Amazing...
NO suckers In Here

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 pm

The most basic understanding is that I stands for individuality and identity, and that a weakening of that weakens Nirn's position as a discrete body in the void, and the Liminal Barriers weaken. Beyond that... the absence of Orichalc made Yokuda dry up and blow away quite easily. Who knows?
Liv Staff

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:16 pm

Indeed that's what I wanted to know, and I'm under the impression that was moreso the First Stone's "displacement" rather than a general Tower's deactivation.

edit: and I just learn that "Orichalc" means "Brass"! :goodjob: Amazing...

Actually, "Orihalc" is not "brass"-- It is more a mythical "VERY VERY hard, magically imbued brazenly reddish gold-like metal"
Betsy Humpledink

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:24 pm

Actually, "Orihalc" is not "brass"-- It is more a mythical "VERY VERY hard, magically imbued brazenly reddish gold-like metal"

Its actually a gold-silver alloy and apparently what most of Atlantis was constructed with.
Chloe :)

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:18 pm

Its actually a gold-silver alloy and apparently what most of Atlantis was constructed with.

not sure about the first part-- Utopia does not mention the COMPOSITION of orihalc, only what it LOOKS like when used to describe the ramparts of Atlantis. As for the second part-- Quite so.

In short, "Orihalc" is one of the first recorded instances of "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unobtainium" in a work of literature.
Scarlet Devil

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:41 pm

not sure about the first part-- Utopia does not mention the COMPOSITION of orihalc, only what it LOOKS like when used to describe the ramparts of Atlantis.

Ehh sorry, meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalc#What_is_orichalcum.3F alloy. It was a common alloy used in Rome, named after Plato's legendary metal. It was used in currency, jewelry and the like. Basically, the copper was used to "water down" the gold so that less gold could be expended, but the result still looked like gold.
Lily Evans

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:57 pm

Ehh sorry, meant http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orichalc#What_is_orichalcum.3F alloy. It was a common alloy used in Rome, named after Plato's legendary metal. It was used in currency, jewelry and the like. Basically, the copper was used to "water down" the gold so that less gold could be expended, but the result still looked like gold.

The 14 karat gold alloy (Still used in jewelry today!) does not have the properties of Plato's Orihalc. It is thus, NOT "Orihalc" ;)
Danii Brown

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 pm

The 14 karat gold alloy (Still used in jewelry today!) does not have the properties of Plato's Orihalc. It is thus, NOT "Orihalc" ;)

What is Orichalc but a name? Plato said it was a shiny gold-copper color, called Orichalc and was a metal. It satisfies all three and thus is Orichalc. And plus, there's too much sliver in the crap they use today...and zinc. Its just not the same high quality imitation gold it used to be.

It also DOES have magical properties. Just the other day I made a magical sword out of rusty old Orichalc bracelets. Just...don't tell anyone I told you. The price of the stuff would sky-rocket and I'm not made of money.
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:01 pm

I'm as mystified right now as everyone else was when Kataphractoi and I hijacked a thread to talk about Polish corsairs. Thanks for taking me down a peg.
Killah Bee

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:58 pm

What is Orichalc but a name? Plato said it was a shiny gold-copper color, called Orichalc and was a metal. It satisfies all three and thus is Orichalc. And plus, there's too much sliver in the crap they use today...and zinc. Its just not the same high quality imitation gold it used to be.

It also DOES have magical properties. Just the other day I made a magical sword out of rusty old Orichalc bracelets. Just...don't tell anyone I told you. The price of the stuff would sky-rocket and I'm not made of money.

Orihalc was supposed to be "Very very very hard"--- something that 14K gold is not.

Regardless, it is STILL "Unobtanium" ;) (And was INTENTIONALLY SO)
Rudi Carter

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Theory: People are said to have possipoints in http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=612570&view=findpost&p=8918365. A point is a mark or something signifying a place. Possi and Impossi suggest possibility. If people have possipoints, and the Convention has an impossipoint, then I'd guess it's a mark, a line in the sand on an infinite desert, which was the dawn era, and a reference by which you can draw the inference of your own possibility. Or it's just an impossipoint because the stone doesn't exist.
joseluis perez

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:37 pm

Theory: People are said to have possipoints in http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=612570&view=findpost&p=8918365. A point is a mark or something signifying a place. Possi and Impossi suggest possibility. If people have possipoints, and the Convention has an impossipoint, then I'd guess it's a mark, a line in the sand on an infinite desert, which was the dawn era, and a reference by which you can draw the inference of your own possibility. Or it's just an impossipoint because the stone doesn't exist.

I still look at it in the Probablistic manner---

People have possipoints, where there is the highest possibility that they would exists, when taken through the lens of timeless time.

EG, The Orbitals around an atom are Possipoints. The electron has the highest probability of being located in those sections of the universe, in relation to the nucleus. However, there is an infinitely small probability that the electron could be ANYWHERE else in the universe.
Undisclosed Desires

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:28 pm

I still look at it in the Probablistic manner---

People have possipoints, where there is the highest possibility that they would exists, when taken through the lens of timeless time.
EG, The Orbitals around an atom are Possipoints. The electron has the highest probability of being located in those sections of the universe, in relation to the nucleus. However, there is an infinitely small probability that the electron could be ANYWHERE else in the universe.

In which case, being an Altmer sage and losing track of your own would REALLY svck.
Paula Ramos

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:37 pm

OR it simply denotes something that indeed happened, but before Time became linear, i.e. before Lorkhan's death...but I'm sure we've established that.
Isabel Ruiz

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:30 pm

In which case, being an Altmer sage and losing track of your own would REALLY svck.

Indeed it would. Next to worst thing that can happen besides a total mythic erasure.
lillian luna

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:50 pm

1) His guardian plane(t).

2) It is shaped like a tower, and thus gains a small mythic force simply by being shaped that way, even if that was not the intent. A crazy telvanni could make his tower absurdly powerful, just by cultivating a few additional pods around it, in tribute to the universe, the same way that White Gold does.
Granted, such an undertaking is absurdly risky. Look what happened to the Dwemer when they meddled with tower creation.

I have an absurdly powerful mythic force IN MY PANTS! :woot:
Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:58 pm

I have an absurdly powerful mythic force IN MY PANTS! :woot:

Only if you get the area around it properly tattooed my friend......
Sabrina Steige

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion