The Towers

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:09 pm

How many towers were there, what were they for, and where were/are they? Also why are these towers so great?
Anna S

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:45 pm

Letters 4 and 5 of the http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/nu-hatta_nu-mantia.shtml should explain.
Benji

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:23 am

Letters 4 and 5 of the http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/nu-hatta_nu-mantia.shtml should explain.

You lurketh overmuch.

Notice how other contienents besides Tamriel have a tendency to experience cataclysms or mass exodus to the place that has all the Towers?
Kelsey Hall

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:04 pm

How many towers were there, what were they for, and where were/are they? Also why are these towers so great?

http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/nu-hatta_nu-mantia.shtml#5
Also: http://www.imperial-library.info/obscure_text/nu-hatta_nu-mantia_facts.shtml

There are 8 [for sure]: Adamantine, Red Mountain, White-Gold, Crystal Tower, Orichalc, Green-Sap, Numidium and Snow Throat.
Kayla Keizer

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:13 am

You lurketh overmuch.

cant argue with that :P i dont feel that i have much to add to debates with what i feel is an inferior comprehension of metaphysics. i dont feel all that good commenting to "power level over 9000" posts either, since my first reaction upon seeing those is to smoke the n00bz out of the forum <_< replying first to threads with some snippet of knowledge -- that i can do.

i don't think that there is enough evidence to support your conclusion Paws. Yokuda got nuked in a classic "we are better then you and you know it" between the Redguards and the Elves, and Atmora simply froze over. did towers (besides Adamantia and the Red) even exist during the first migrations of the Nords? other lands (namely Akavir) are still chugging along just fine.

...yea, i think i failed at making this post be worth something lore wise :P
Alycia Leann grace

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Don't forget the Sigil Towers. Although instead of keeping the two planes seperate, they link the planes together.
Skivs

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:29 pm

i don't think that there is enough evidence to support your conclusion Paws. Yokuda got nuked in a classic "we are better then you and you know it" between the Redguards and the Elves, and Atmora simply froze over. did towers (besides Adamantia and the Red) even exist during the first migrations of the Nords? other lands (namely Akavir) are still chugging along just fine.

Well, I just stole it from anyone else anyway. :P

But there is a sort of historical theory that all races at one point or another are drawn to Tamriel. There's some book whose title I can't remember that says(paraphrased), 'if these people had survived, at one point or another they would have migrated to Tamriel.'

And of Nu-Hatta's list, only Orichalc is somewhere else, namely Yokuda.
Zosia Cetnar

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:25 pm

Well, I just stole it from anyone else anyway. :P

But there is a sort of historical theory that all races at one point or another are drawn to Tamriel. There's some book whose title I can't remember that says(paraphrased), 'if these people had survived, at one point or another they would have migrated to Tamriel.'

It is important to note, Paws, that present day tamriel is just what is 'left" after the war of the ehlnofey.

The whole plane(t) used to have only lakes, not oceans. ;) Towers could well be anywhere, even sunk beneath the waves, in the dark homes of the Dreugh.
Amber Ably

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:41 am

It is important to note, Paws, that present day tamriel is just what is 'left" after the war of the ehlnofey.

The whole plane(t) used to have only lakes, not oceans. ;) Towers could well be anywhere, even sunk beneath the waves, in the dark homes of the Dreugh.

Then Nu-Hatta must be going on old knowledge and little more. Cause otherwise I think he could sense great big pain-in-the-ass spikes of subjective reality protruding from the nether regions of the tectonic plates.
Kira! :)))

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:46 pm

Then Nu-Hatta must be going on old knowledge and little more. Cause otherwise I think he could sense great big pain-in-the-ass spikes of subjective reality protruding from the nether regions of the tectonic plates.

Or, out of deference to simplicity, he only mentions the ones that are accessible by humans, since Cyrrodiil is only concerned with surface life, and not underwater conquest.

Or, even only the ones which modify reality in ways which [he] can [understand] be understood.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 am

Don't forget the Sigil Towers. Although instead of keeping the two planes seperate, they link the planes together.

The term "Towers" has a more spesific meaning here then you seem to have thought, thoguh that parallel is interesting.

Not any more. Now its gone (hence why the Redguards moved to Tamriel).

Usually when a tower is destroyed, bad stuff happens it its respective continent Sinking and freezing over being two prominent examples.

I guess that means Akavir's tower was destroyed before the first era...
quinnnn

Post » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:48 am

Or, out of deference to simplicity, he only mentions the ones that are accessible by humans, since Cyrrodiil is only concerned with surface life, and not underwater conquest.

If there are too many, then White GOld's significance starts looking like so much exaggeration.

What source does the war of the Ehlnofex come from again? I've never paid enough attention to it, and always treated it as allegory like the Annuad.
Dan Stevens

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:34 am

I see i see. Thank you
Joe Alvarado

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Towers could well be anywhere, even sunk beneath the waves, in the dark homes of the Dreugh.

Nope. Except for the first two, tower building is an Elven thing and they didn't start with that until after the Dawn.
Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:14 pm

If there are too many, then White GOld's significance starts looking like so much exaggeration.

What source does the war of the Ehlnofex come from again? I've never paid enough attention to it, and always treated it as allegory like the Annuad.

IIRC, it is mentioned in Monomyth, and in some of the Argonian stories, especially those from the Hist. (The Hist remember the event.)

Nope. Except for the first two, tower building is an Elven thing and they didn't start with that until after the Dawn.

"Altmer of the sea" ring any bells? The dreugh are not just sea squids with anthropological features.
tegan fiamengo

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:56 pm

So we assume that Snow-Throat is Falmer?
Cayal

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:50 pm

So we assume that Snow-Throat is Falmer?

Nords and Falmer are supposed to have a "Long" history.
Cody Banks

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:01 pm

What source does the war of the Ehlnofex come from again?

not sure what you mean paws, but it IS from the Anuad.

I guess that means Akavir's tower was destroyed before the first era...

only elves built towers, and the only source as to the original inhabitants of Akavir lists them as humans. hence, no tower.

*is trying to keep up...and failing*
Aman Bhattal

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 pm

only elves built towers, and the only source as to the original inhabitants of Akavir lists them as humans. hence, no tower.

We don't know if the Akaviri built towers. We don't know anything about that they've got.
Nicole M

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:07 pm

not sure what you mean paws, but it IS from the Anuad.

Yeah, I just found it. And the Anuad is allegorical, which is probably why it bothers me in a historical context.

The Anuad wasn't meant to be literal, and when it's taken that way it is no accident that it sounds like the two-bit mythologies of other fantasy worlds.

Maybe better terms would help us here. Would it be better to view Red Mountain as a different kind of echo than the Aldmeri buildings? The Khajiit could fit into a category of their own as well. Opens up the field a little.
Steph

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:10 pm

With White-Gold and Red Towers both inactive and unneeded, does Adamantine Tower serve any purpose still?
Shae Munro

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:45 pm

With White-Gold and Red Towers both inactive and unneeded, does Adamantine Tower serve any purpose still?

Yeah. The world not blowing up.
Cash n Class

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:14 pm

i'd argue that it serves its original purpose: to allow "Mundus to exist without the full presence of the divine." unless its creation alone, independent from its existence, forever cemented "the consequence of variable fate" as fact, the desctruction of the Adamantia would probably spell deep doo-doo for Nirn.

as to my previous Akavir point, letter 5 specificaly says that the Aldmer (as opposed to the New Ehlnofey) built towers to emulate the first. and the Anuad (aligory though it may be) states that the Tsaesci of Akavir were of the New Ehelnofey, and, therefore, should not have built towers. to build a tower (in the traditional sense at least) one needs to emulate the Adamantia, which the inhabitants of Akavir did not have access too.
Ann Church

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Yeah. The world not blowing up.

I should say so. Without Adamantine tower, time would be rather hard to maintain, and the dreamsleave would probably collapse too.

Adamantine tower, and the ZeroStone are Akatosh's ship, and it maintains the impossible point of the convention, which holds the whole thing together. It is what makes the effects of the earth bones 'timeless', among other useful things.

deactivating Adamantine would be .... very bad....
STEVI INQUE

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:13 pm

Yarr, Towers can get mindbending. White Gold is just an echo, or imitation of Adamantia, yet because of its symbolic position, the copycat exerts power over the original, which is relegated to the role of satellite. It stabilized the hub, but is now mythically identified with a mere prop for the new hub.
Chris Cross Cabaret Man

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion