Thu'um

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:53 am

is it possible for a half breed nord/other to posess thu'um? nord is mom.
Kerri Lee

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am

is it possible for a half breed nord/other to posess thu'um? nord is mom.

Then offspring will be nordic, by definition, and yes. There will be some hints of paternity, but Thu'um should be possible. However, as I understand it, this particular gift of Kyne is hard to get, and is found most predominantly in the extremely elemental cold of the far north of Skyrrim........ Doubtful that such a half-breed would be born, raised, and trained in such an environment.
Robert Garcia

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:06 am

wouldnt that provide evidence that tiber septim was atmoran?? since he had thu'um?
joannARRGH

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:27 am

The Heresy attributes Hjalti's Th'um to Ysmir.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:42 am

wouldnt that provide evidence that tiber septim was atmoran?? since he had thu'um?

It just means he had nordic parentage, and was from the far north of skyrrim. Why he LEFT there, is anyone's guess.

The users of the Thu'um have to wear gags, because their voices are so powerful that even just talking can cause calamity.
Andrew

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:27 pm

One of him was. The other two were from High Rock.
jenny goodwin

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:13 pm

Not necessarily. Firstly because Atmorans stopped coming to Tamriel ages ago, and the last boats were filled with the dead and dying. Secondly because the thu'um could be a cultural ability, not necessarily a racial one. Thirdly because the source that says he could use the thu'um also contains an annotation expressing doubt in the claim, suggesting that he conquered more with his voice that with the Voice. Fourth because the Arcturian Heresy suggests it wasn't him doing the shouting in the first place.

The users of the Thu'um have to wear gags, because their voices are so powerful that even just talking can cause calamity.

Only the greatest, like the Greybeards.
Marie Maillos

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:16 pm

Not necessarily. Firstly because Atmorans stopped coming to Tamriel ages ago, and the last boats were filled with the dead and dying. Secondly because the thu'um could be a cultural ability, not necessarily a racial one. Thirdly because the source that says he could use the thu'um also contains an annotation expressing doubt in the claim, suggesting that he conquered more with his voice that with the Voice. Fourth because the Arcturian Heresy suggests it wasn't him doing the shouting in the first place.
Only the greatest, like the Greybeards.

it does give an interesting setting for the "Voice of the Emperor" power that Imperials have.
yermom

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 pm

it does give an interesting setting for the "Voice of the Emperor" power that Imperials have.

Crap why didn't I think of that.
Amy Melissa

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:22 pm

Crap why didn't I think of that.

Because Charming and whatnot has nothing to do with a calamitous voice-power that can physically destroy.

The two may be related because they are powers of voice, they may not have a connection after that. I still don't even know how the Imperials themselves where created.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:15 am

Because Charming and whatnot has nothing to do with a calamitous voice-power that can physically destroy.

The two may be related because they are powers of voice, they may not have a connection after that. I still don't even know how the Imperials themselves where created.

Hell they are related. The effect of the voice runs parallel to the culture they're being used by.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:37 am

I get a feeling that the human races tend to exaggerate their powers.
Jake Easom

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 11:45 am

I get a feeling that the human races tend to exaggerate their powers.

Like the other ones don't?
Oscar Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:32 am

Like the other ones don't?

Good point.
Ella Loapaga

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:30 pm

I actually believe the Thu'um doesn't exist anymore. Or if it does, only in the most northern and remote reaches of Skyrim.

I have a feeling that it went the way of the power of the RuneStones or DoomStones. (Similarly, it is interesting that many Nord weapons are engraved with runes. Possibly in Skyrim's early history or in Atmora at least, there was a REASON for this- the Runes contained power.) To practically everyone- these kinds of power is inaccessible and considered either dormant or dead. I mean, anyone whose played Oblivion can tell you the runestones and doomstones work- but they only work for the PC.

I feel like there's a good chance that there is a lot of magical understanding that has been lost over the eras, and the Thu'um is one of those types of magic.

I'd be curious if anyone could say exactly when the last time someone actually unleashed a thu'um was. My guess is that example will be Ysmir or in some way (as in the case of Septim -didn't the Underking double as Septim for a while? As in Septim needed to be in two places at once and sent him in disguise? I forget the specifics.)
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:53 am

The Greybeards are probably still sitting there.
An Lor

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:17 am

You kiai like a wimp.
Darlene Delk

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:35 am

The Greybeards are probably still sitting there.

In his haste to save so many, though, he shook too many years out on himself. He grew older than the Greybeards, and died.

I wonder just how old that was.
BRIANNA

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:39 am

In his haste to save so many, though, he shook too many years out on himself. He grew older than the Greybeards, and died.

I wonder just how old that was.

thats...old...like maybe 150 yeas or something.
michael flanigan

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm

So they were old when Orcs were Aldmer. Or so the story goes.
Ana Torrecilla Cabeza

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:23 am

I don't think they were lways the same Greybeards - it's a title given to powerful and old th'hum master, it don't makes them any less mortal than the other nords (though it certainly makes it harder to hasten said mortality)
Catherine N

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:31 pm

According to the sidebar "The Tongues" in http://www.imperial-library.info/pge/skyrim.shtml, the thu'um is the vital, or divine, essence acknowledging their being a decendant of Kyne (or Kynareth as she is called in the modern Nine Divines pantheon).

But does it take a full-blooded Nord to learn The Way of the Voice? We can see that mixing the races brings about new abilities and the declination or full repression of the old ones, such as we do not see resistance to cold (Nedic) or increased magicka reserves (Aldmeric) in the Bretonic race. Instead, we see a full magickal resistance across the board and no increase in magickal reserves. Simply put, half-bloods in TES change.

So could a half-blooded Nord possess the thu'um? I do not know. However, assuming pro arguendo that the individual had the potential to utilize the Way of the Voice, I would think that said individual would need to be instructed.

But Mote believes that the thu'um does not exist anymore. I would disagree.

Nordic masters of the magickal practice known as the Way of the Voice are known as "Tongues", who never speak due to the destructive power of their voice. However, the Tongues spoke for the first time in the living memory of Tiber Septim's generation by announcing the young Tiber's destiny.

Septim's response was as follows: "In gratitude, the Emperor has recently endowed a new Imperial College of the Voice in Markarth, dedicated to returning the Way of the Voice to the ancient and honorable art of war. So it may be that the mighty deeds of the Nord heroes of old will soon be equaled or surpassed on the battlefields of the present day."

For those reasons, I believe that Nords still learn and practice the Way of the Voice, thereby making the thu'um an active and viable study.

I have no answer as to whether a half-blooded Nord could learn the thu'um.

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
hannaH

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:22 am

Septim's response was as follows: "In gratitude, the Emperor has recently endowed a new Imperial College of the Voice in Markarth, dedicated to returning the Way of the Voice to the ancient and honorable art of war. So it may be that the mighty deeds of the Nord heroes of old will soon be equaled or surpassed on the battlefields of the present day."

For those reasons, I believe that Nords still learn and practice the Way of the Voice, thereby making the thu'um an active and viable study.

-Septim's new college is staffed by hacks and charlatans -- the so-called Grand Master is said to have formerly earned his living as a street performer in Windhelm -- the students are scions of the most obsequious Nord families, hoping to curry favor with Tiber Septim's New Order --
YR
Josephine Gowing

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:47 am

-Septim's new college is staffed by hacks and charlatans -- the so-called Grand Master is said to have formerly earned his living as a street performer in Windhelm -- the students are scions of the most obsequious Nord families, hoping to curry favor with Tiber Septim's New Order --
YR

I wonder whether our unnamed mer commentator had ever actually met with the Imperial College staff, or is he (?) merely going on rumor alone?

"Hoping to curry favor?" Again, it appears that this mer, who ironically was maltreated by the Dunmer, enjoys endulging in idle speculation and outlandish distant deductions fueled only by his contempt for the human juggernaut that was, at that time, looming at his doorstep and destined to bring his homeland's arrogance to heel under the Red Whip of Tiber Septim.

PRAISE TALOS!

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
kiss my weasel

Post » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:03 am

I see YR as a foil for the writer's enthusiastic assessments of Tiber's achievements. Do not think that the Altmer heads are so high in the air that they are incapable of grounded assessment. If Talos's glorious conquest succeeded by standing on the shoulders of brass giants, his reign was to do the same by standing on the legacy of those of gold. Alinor endures, and all your learning can only uncover paths already trod.
roxanna matoorah

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion