Unofficial Doctor Who Thread

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:11 am

Anyone watch doctor who? I'm on season 9 of the new series and can't wait for 10!

ladyflames

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:11 am

I could be in a coma and I would wake up if someone played the theme song.
Maya Maya

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Started watching with Season 8, I am looking forward to season 10. Watched the Christmas special recently (The Return of Dr Mysterio).

Exterminate... :goodjob: :goodjob:

Trish

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 pm

I never quite got over the "death" of Jon Pertwee's Doctor. :(
Jarrett Willis

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:47 am

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/eb/Fifth_Doctor.jpg

Amanda Leis

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:24 am

Tom Baker will always be my Doctor, i remember being terrified as a kid but couldn't wait to see the next episode,

i liked Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant's Doctor's of the new series but since Steven Moffat took over i stopped watching the show, i just don't like his writing style.

Ash

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:05 am

Loved Tom Baker because he's amazing.

Loved Peter Davison because he and Tom Baker were the Doctors I grew up with.

Loved Christopher Eccleston and thought Matt Smith did a pretty good job as the Doctor.

David Tennant is great but unfortunately "Doctor Who" seemed to undergo a massive identity crisis when he was the Doctor.

They would field episodes that were arguably high science fiction and follow it up the next week with farting aliens.

I would trade them all for Karen Gillan though.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmnnn....

Amy Pond.

Kanaoka

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 am

God, that's true. I always describe my disdain at the "daft, curly-haired yobbo" when Tom Baker first appeared, but I really warmed to him, as you do. But Peter Davison was such a drip and I never liked him: by far my least favourite Doctor.
Jesus Lopez

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:36 am

I can't really say who my favorite Doctor is. My favorite companions are Amy and Rory Pond though (although I still really like Clara)

Laura Mclean

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:36 am

Capaldi has said this is his last year
james kite

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:50 am

On that note, that's probably why a lot of Tenant's era is awful. After Rose left, they kind of struggled to find a workable companion, forcing Tenant to go completely over the top with his acting to compensate. MArtha was a dead duck from day 1 and was scrapped rather quickly, replaced with Donna as a backup who lacked any real character apart from being vaguely kooky. At least with Amy Pond (and Rory, he was cool!) they finally had a companion that the fans were actually somewhat invested in again.

anna ley

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:32 am

Yes, sadly :(

jesse villaneda

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:23 pm

That's about the point I stopped watching. I remember the original premise of Doctor Who was to try to get children interested in science; I'm not sure what point the programme was trying to make in the post-Rose years, some sort of messed-up slightly Blue Peter-esque social ideal but whatever it was, I just couldn't watch it any longer.
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:54 am

Donna was my favorite NuWho companion. :shrug: Amy could've been alright, but the writers failed her (just like they failed River). That's one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of the Eleventh Doctor - aside from his childishness, which was probably endearing to some people, but it just annoyed me except in a few rare precious moments.

Setal Vara

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:09 am

I've watched literally every single episode of the show. Favourite Doctor is Eleven. I feel that Moffat hasn't been a good showrunner since 2012, despite his good episode writing, and I'm more excited for Chibnall than series 10.
Alexandra Louise Taylor

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:16 am

Seeing Tom Baker fall from that tower and reflecting on his friends and enemies saying "Doctor" still pulls at my heart. :cry:

When I saw that as a kid, I was devastated. Tom, here's a Jelly Baby in your name.

ijohnnny

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:41 am

Oh, I could not stand Peter Davidson. Ugh.

Emily Shackleton

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:24 pm

Donna is really my favorite companion in Modern Who. It was basically two best buds traveling through time together. None of that forced romance.

My feelings on Amy depend on who is writing her, she's either a strong companion or a damsel in distress (I'm 100% sure the episodes where I didn't like her one bit were written by Moffat)

I really tried to get into the Eleventh Doctor don't mind the Doctor itself, it was just the writing style just feels really strange compared to the rest, it feels like i'm watching a different show.

I really enjoyed Capaldi, which he would stay longer.

Kelvin

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:46 am

I liked Donna too, largely for the same reason, but she wasn't a very interesting person. She was just a relief after the often emotionless, wooden Martha who did nothing but try to get into he Doctor's pants repeatedly.

As for Amy, they could have done better with her, but the premise of her character with the childhood betrayal was at least slightly more interesting. I am kind of biased in her favour though.

Even the ones that were lost to history half a century before you were born? :P

Yvonne

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Nah, it was just bad writing.

They wanted to make the Doctor seem cool and sometimes tried a little too hard.

Seriously, that bit when it pulls out the Sword of Who-ness or whatever it was... just made me want to jump in a Tardis and make that moment go away.

I certainly miss Nyssa.

The most exciting of the new Doctor Who series was when Mickey Smith got eaten by a Black Bin.

Unfortunately... he got better.

Lil Miss

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:25 am

Alright, listened :P It's my second favourite show. Favourite Doctor is Eleven, favourite companion is Jamie, favourite story is The War Games.

As for Amy, I have a pretty strong opinion of her:

People overlook her as a character. She's the best developed companion we've had. The Doctor fell into her back garden when she was a child, and since then hasn't been able to grow up. She's always dreamed of being whisked away into a fantasy life, escaping the real world. This obsession with escaping was confused with an obsession with the Doctor, which is probably why she tried to seduce him in Flesh and Stone. But she clearly always loved Rory.

The best thing about her run was that the Doctor, her best friend, represented the child in her and her need to live a fictional 'fairy tale' life, and Rory, her partner, represented her real life and kept her grounded. At the start of the run, she was clearly still a child in mind and heart and wished to run away from everything. She would choose life with the Doctor over life with Rory. As time went on, she was forced to grow and with episodes like The Big Bang and The God Complex, she let go of the Doctor, her fantasy life, and accepted living with Rory, her real life.

It's really clever the way it was done, in my opinion. If she were given the same choice in The Angels Take Manhattan in series five, do you think she'd choose Rory? I don't. People often out her low down in the companion lists, but for me she's in the top three companions ever.
Epul Kedah

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:52 pm

*gasp* River is the best!

Crystal Clear

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:46 am

Oh I have a very funny Doctor Who video to share, this is probably my first video I've seen on YouTube: https://youtu.be/2QxTKHa8R8E.

Also here's a fan made mini DW fan video I made years ago...enjoy: https://youtu.be/zQInQgsyyOA.

El Goose

Post » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:36 am

Well that's depressing. She's not fun, just mentally ill.

Although it does make sense now how completely horribly she treats Rory at times.

Gavin boyce

Post » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:49 pm

It's only my theory. Thing is, I don't think Doctor Who has good character development past certain incarnations of the man himself. Amy actually has an arc, and I find that impressive. I'd say we all have feelings of wanting to run away to some fantasy land with no worries, especially when young. Amy is sort of like the characterisation of that, which is common in media. It represents true to life feelings.
Poetic Vice

Next

Return to Othor Games