Weapon Mod Removal

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 4:04 am

Alright so I just realize that I didn't want a scope on my gun anymore, in the real world, just unattach it, but in fallout you must wield it to the gun or something because its impossible to remove.

My idea is simple, but since its late, and I am not on my PC.

Here is what I am thinking.

Create a script that gets your current weapon, find the mods, add the base weapon to you inventory, and the mods to your inventory and the remove the modded weapon. Haven't looked into the actually commands, any one know if this is possible?

If so and I spend some free time trying to create it, do you guys think you would use it?
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 8:37 am

Honestly, not really. Any gun that you can equip a mod to, is not a unique one. I'd just vendor shop for another weapon. However, I'd probably switch positions on it depending on how flexible you could make the script.

Eventually I believe someone will come up with additional gun mods. At that point, swapping mods sounds much better then carrying 20 guns around. Night vision scoped laser rifle with Micro fusion breeders? Oh joy!
Romy Welsch

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 10:01 am

There's not really a reason to take a mod off since the mods are specific to that weapon type... if you could take the scope and put it on a different gun that might be different.
Pat RiMsey

Post » Thu May 06, 2010 11:22 pm

I probably would, sometimes it would just be easier to use a 9mm Pistol without a scope.
Nymph

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 9:32 am

Have you tried creating a crafting recipe to take the weapon and turn it into its component parts via a breakdown recipe?

(Which is probably the easiest way to do it, depending on how weapon mods were coded.)
Rude Gurl

Post » Thu May 06, 2010 10:19 pm

I'd like to be able to remove mods from broken guns and then reuse the mods elsewhere.

Having a mod that you can't find for sale anywhere stuck to a gun that's going to cost 6000 caps to repair isn't cool.
Jack Moves

Post » Thu May 06, 2010 10:32 pm

I'd like to be able to remove mods from broken guns and then reuse the mods elsewhere.

Having a mod that you can't find for sale anywhere stuck to a gun that's going to cost 6000 caps to repair isn't cool.

Can't you just repair it yourself? Or is that impossible with broken/modded guns?
Petr Jordy Zugar

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 1:18 am

Yes you can repair it with un-modded guns but if it's something like a modded AM rifle repairing it is going to cost a lot since you can't really find free AM rifles around. But you can use weapon repair kits. Or install a repair mod that allows you to repair guns with abraxo cleaner and scrap metal.

I'd like to remove mods from weapons, for example I'd like to be able to remove the scope from the All-American rifle and go full auto for close range fights(I know the AA rifle isn't modable but I'm just pointing out a possible use for this).
Steve Smith

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 6:08 am

I'd be careful with a mod like this. I'd set it up so that you couldn't remove mods unless you were at a workbench, and Veronica would have to be out-of-combat to remove mods through her dialog.
SWagg KId

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 4:08 am

Just a note- you can't detect equipped mods ATM (getequipped doesn't run, equip blocks on the mod don't run), so...
Bee Baby

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 11:31 am

...so we need NVSE...?
jessica robson

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 2:42 am

Thanks TheTalkieToaster I know your right, but now I know to at least request it for NVSE, maybe they can throw in that function before the release the first version.

So it sounds like people will use it, so It wont be a waste of my time, so I am all in for looking forward to creating this.

EDIT: Thinking I might even try to make it so you can convert a scope for the vermin rifle to one for the 9mm, think about a scope is a scope no matter what gun its on.
ANaIs GRelot

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 10:30 am

I've been thinking about that myself. Say a pistol scope can be used on all pistols and a rifle-scope on all rifles (separate scopes for guns and energy weapons though). Here's another idea: adding different scope variants for various FOVs: ACOG scopes for mid range, reflex sights for short range etc.
Cccurly

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 9:24 am

Would also like to see this as well as a general expansion of the mod system, more mods for more weapons, ability to add mods to unique weapons to make ridiculous super unique weapons..
electro_fantics

Post » Thu May 06, 2010 10:55 pm

I've been thinking about that myself. Say a pistol scope can be used on all pistols and a rifle-scope on all rifles (separate scopes for guns and energy weapons though). Here's another idea: adding different scope variants for various FOVs: ACOG scopes for mid range, reflex sights for short range etc.
Weapons are limited to up to 3 mods, which can't be exclusive- and I don't believe mods can change the scope mesh either. It'd probably be easier to have the different sights be different base objects, and the mods be silencer/bigger clip/whatever. Otherwise people could end up stacking reflex/acog/sniper scopes on the same rifle to get a net 100x zoom or something equally daft.
CHANONE

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 am

What you can do anyway is just find another unmodded version of the gun and just use that, then sell the modded one. Modding a gun adds the value of the modded part to the gun to its value so you get all your caps back. When I mod a gun I generally save, so I can mod it and mess around with the mod, and if I dont like it I just load the save.
Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 5:58 am

Alright so since NVSE said they are looking at ways to get mod info, hows this sounds for a first release.

-Make it so a 10mm scope, 9mm, ect use all the same scope, no reason a pistol scope shouldn't work on any pistol, but do this for all of them
-Add the ability to remove mods, for example, I have a 9mm with a scope, middle of the Mojave and don't have another 9mm, well maybe I want to go back to looking down the iron sights, give the player the ability to remove a mod from a weapon.
-I might ask the guy who added modifiable unique weapons if I can build that into this.
-maybe see if I can add a zoom functions, so you can zoom in and out instead of having a ACOG scope?

Any more ideas post them here, 2 out of 4 of these can already be done, so I can work on those and then quickly add the last two and any more you suggest after NVSE comes out.
Racheal Robertson

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 2:07 pm

With adding more different types of scopes and accessories you would need to have a huge amount of matching weapon models to match the new addons. It would be alot of work for whoever decided to undertake something like that.

I do want to be able to unequip my weapon mods though. Should be just like they were attached. Open your pipboy select the weapon and click the mods off just like you clicked them on. I don`t know why they didn`t bother putting that into the weapon mod system. Each weapon mod has its own unique model and if they can figure out how to reverse and remove a mod from a weapon then it should return to its default model or the model of whatever is still modded onto it. You can add the mods one by one and everything works fine, Just figure out how to do it in reverse to where it still operates accordingly.

Ohh and you allready can make it to where 1 scope can fit all pistols and 1 silencer can fit all other things. You only have to select which item mod is used in the modbox to get that paticlular mod. You could have the sniper rifle silencer fit every weapon in the game as long as you have the silenced part of the modbox checked to the id for the sniper silencer. The item mod itself don`t house the attachment on the model. But the weapon you are putting a mod onto has to have a pre existing model with the attachment allready on it to work properly.
liz barnes

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 10:47 am

Arent all the mods just different models, and thus, different items alltogether? Shouldnt it be possible to just simple script a check and pop a menu with options?
Solina971

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 3:47 am

Yes I would. I modded my Maria to have a silencer, so now I put 2 Maria's in the game so that I can have a silenced one and a non-silenced one. I'd much rather have a detachable silencer.
YO MAma

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 9:14 am

With adding more different types of scopes and accessories you would need to have a huge amount of matching weapon models to match the new addons. It would be alot of work for whoever decided to undertake something like that.

I do want to be able to unequip my weapon mods though. Should be just like they were attached. Open your pipboy select the weapon and click the mods off just like you clicked them on. I don`t know why they didn`t bother putting that into the weapon mod system. Each weapon mod has its own unique model and if they can figure out how to reverse and remove a mod from a weapon then it should return to its default model or the model of whatever is still modded onto it. You can add the mods one by one and everything works fine, Just figure out how to do it in reverse to where it still operates accordingly.

Ohh and you allready can make it to where 1 scope can fit all pistols and 1 silencer can fit all other things. You only have to select which item mod is used in the modbox to get that paticlular mod. You could have the sniper rifle silencer fit every weapon in the game as long as you have the silenced part of the modbox checked to the id for the sniper silencer. The item mod itself don`t house the attachment on the model. But the weapon you are putting a mod onto has to have a pre existing model with the attachment allready on it to work properly.

Alright here is my plan,
A scope for a pistol can fit any pistol, a scope for a rifle fits any rifle.

Silencer's are gonna be one for each type of ammo, silencer are made for barrel size.

Haven't got a plan for extended mags yet though.
Marie

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 1:39 am

to be honest, i don't realy like what Obisdian/Bethesda did with the Weapon Mod Kits idea, the Mod for FO3 was far superrior ( http://fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=3388 ).

lets start with the pipboy menu,

if you have a broken weapon, the Repair button only glows if you have an appropriate Item in your inventory!
but the Mod button ALLWAYS glows, there is no check.

Once attached the Mods cant be removed, (yes i'd like to have the scope and the silencer optional, not just as an upgade).

This get's even worse on some Modding Weapons like the PP2000 from Alex Scorpion ( http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=35770 ) ,
i like to use the Iron Sights OFF mode, simply because it has better animations (no guns warping to the center of the screen in a nanosecond).
But the PP2000 has this holosight thingy which is a Mod for the Weapon and with Iron Sights OFF it kinda blocks the view instead of beeing helpful and you can't remove it once attached.

A silencer realy should be something you can attach for sneaking and de-attach if you want to make more damage etc.

So HELL YEAH i would use a Mod that improves this.

But even if those Problems are adressed i still think WMK was supperrior because you could mix and match mods, you had to go to a workbench and it got it's own UI.

I don't know if this is true but i did read from a modder that the game only supports THREE Weapon Mods per gun.
That is a limitation that many mods will want to break.

Just look at this pic: http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/34983-2-1287775251.jpg
certainly more then 3 Mods.

Then there are diffrent Camo Skins on other weapons ( http://www.newvegasnexus.com/downloads/images/34752-1-1287577147.jpg ) ... that could also be integrated into a new WMK mod.

Instead if having 50 versions of the same gun in a box in the Doctors House in Goodsprings there could be one and the mod's are scattered arround the wasteland.
For diffrent Camo Skins it could be required to have a spraygun....

There is so much possibility to this and yet the game mechanics are so limited that i realy have to ask if Obsidian/Bethesda even thought about what they were doing or if they just wanted to be able to use this mechanic for promoting the game?
Hell in every preview i read the Weapon Mods were announced like a big thing, but it realy is just a simple Upgrade System, and not even on par with the WMK mod for FO3, i did expect better from professionals ( lol ).

So YES please make it better if you can :)
Chantelle Walker

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 1:49 pm

Eh, the mod system in New Vegas makes more sense than WMK. One scope fits all? One extended magazine for all? Hardly. While removing mods should've been there, yes, it seems that there ARE a few things that would probably be hard to remove - extended magazines, for instance! Scopes can be taken off, of course, but still.
However, I don't see why this needs NVSE. Aren't there already "weapon mod removal" mods?
Talitha Kukk

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 3:33 am

Eh, the mod system in New Vegas makes more sense than WMK. One scope fits all? One extended magazine for all? Hardly. While removing mods should've been there, yes, it seems that there ARE a few things that would probably be hard to remove - extended magazines, for instance! Scopes can be taken off, of course, but still.
However, I don't see why this needs NVSE. Aren't there already "weapon mod removal" mods?

One scope does not fit all, but I know I can walk into a shop and buy a scope for a rifle, I have down it, its fits all 3 of my guns, but its to long to fit on either on of my hand pistols.

My idea

What I want to do-
-Rifle Scope = Scope that works on all rifles.
-Pistol Scope = Scope that works on all pistols.
-10mm Silencer = Silencer that works on any gun with a 10mm barrel, basically any gun that shoots a 10mm bullet.
-308 Silencer = Silencer that works on any gun that shoots 308 bullets
-Extended mags = I am leaving this a lone because a 10mm Machine Gun mag isn't going to fit in a 10mm pistol
ect...

EDIT:
I almost for got to answer people asking why this well need NVSE, because I can't get what mods were equipped to add them back to you inventory, all I could do is give you the base gun back and you loose your mod. NVSE team is working on a way to get mod info I plan on using this to tell what mods are equipped so I can add them back to the players inventory.
Jason King

Post » Fri May 07, 2010 3:40 am

Alright here is my plan,
A scope for a pistol can fit any pistol, a scope for a rifle fits any rifle.

Silencer's are gonna be one for each type of ammo, silencer are made for barrel size.

Haven't got a plan for extended mags yet though.

You can allready make it to where any scope item can fit any weapon. All you need to do is select the specific itemmod ID for every single pistol or rifle. But again, each weapon you decide to add a mod to allready has to have a model with some kind scope allready on it. Now you can have it to where the one scope you decide to have buyable attaches to multiple weapons but each different weapon will have a different kind of scope visually. Say you wanted to make the .44 scope fit all pistols, on the .44 it looks stock but on a 9mm it would look like the 9mm scope. It could be done but I think having to shop around for the addon you want to put on your gun adds to the gameplay fun.

The extended mags for pistols really arent a problem. That can be as simple as renaming the itemmod itself. Adds a double column mag instead of the single. That way the gun still looks the same and you can use the stock model without having to worry about having a mag that looks like it`s half out of the weapon. For rifles you could do the same unless you prefer to see an extended mag on those. Nothing you can really do about the drums though.

In my own game I have a regular M4 AR that i attached a silencer and a reflex site to. I needed 4 different weapon models just for those 2 attachments. But I like the idea of removing the sliencer or going back the regular sights if I want to without having to buy another rifle.

Silencers going by barrel size is an acceptable idea. In the end though this would make itemmods more readilly availabe. I do prefer to have to hunt for for things in games or it`s just not really entertaining for me. I think the way we aquire the mods should really stay the same, just being able to unequip a mod on the weapon would be the optimal way they should have done it.

Crysis had the right idea with the way you could add and remove the mods on weapons. The developers should have known that this would come up and at least made a way to remove mods from weapons.
DAVId Bryant

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas