What race is Pelinal Whitestrake?

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:31 am

I wasn't able find Pelinal Whitestrake's race on the wiki.

I'm guessing Imperial, but that doesn't really seem like an Imperial name. Does anyone have a reference for what his race is (or was)? Thanks.
TOYA toys

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:56 am

Sivlian,

Pelinal was a divine being, and therefore had no real race. His appearance is described as fairly human however.
Hayley Bristow

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:13 am

Probably Imperial I'm guessing.
Wait, were there any Imperials at that time?
Austin Suggs

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

He had a bit of an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(character) face.
Yung Prince

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:22 am

Probably Imperial I'm guessing.
Wait, were there any Imperials at that time?

Well, the Imperials are presumably the descendants of the humans who rebelled against the Ayleids and formed their own Empire. But they wouldn't have been known as 'Imperials' back then, for obvious reasons.
Spaceman

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:40 pm

He had a bit of an http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminator_(character) face.

I'm going to have to agree with this, and a bit of Tony Stark (the glowing chest part)
Gaelle Courant

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:46 am

Pelinal had a Nedic appearance, having descended as a human with white hair. We know he is human because Kynereth gave Perrif-who-is-Alessia a diamond that was soaked red from the blood of elves, and this diamond unsectored into a man that we know as Pelinal. (http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/songofpelinal.shtml)

Pelinal's corporeal form is a human, most likely of the Cyro-Nordic race that occupied the Ayleidic lands as slaves.

___TWM
Chase McAbee

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 am

...Pelinal was a divine being, and therefore had no real race. His appearance is described as fairly human however.

Is this true? I know he was a spirit in the Knights of the Nine questline. But wasn't he human at one point, and so had a race?

It seems to be a toss-up be between an Imperial or Nord, or maybe a mixture.

EDIT: although Pelinal has a slight Breton ring to it, at least to me.
Timara White

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:16 am

Is this true? I know he was a spirit in the Knights of the Nine questline. But wasn't he human at one point, and so had a race?

It seems to be a toss-up be between an Imperial or Nord, or maybe a mixture.

Was never "human." He had the appearance of a Cyro-Nordic proto-human, I think, but he himself was a divine thing. One guy said 'Shezzarine" and was suffocated by birds. So we can go with that.
Rachael Williams

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:27 am

Was never "human." He had the appearance of a Cyro-Nordic proto-human, I think, but he himself was a divine thing. One guy said 'Shezzarine" and was suffocated by birds. So we can go with that.

Okay. I'm not doubting this. But do you have a source? Like an in game book, or some dialog, or even a developer's comment? Thanks.

I had thought he was human at one point.
Jon O

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:22 am

Okay. I'm not doubting this. But do you have a source? Like an in game book, or some dialog, or even a developer's comment? Thanks.

I had thought he was human at one point.

I hate Dev comments.

But as for in-game book, "The Song of pelinal" implies it, but I can't for the life of me remember of they go ahead and expplicitly say "Yep, he's a god." You could start there, it's a good read in either case.
Natasha Callaghan

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:43 am

I hate Dev comments.

But as for in-game book, "The Song of pelinal" implies it, but I can't for the life of me remember of they go ahead and expplicitly say "Yep, he's a god." You could start there, it's a good read in either case.

Muthsera,

You are probably referring to the following passage:

"It is famous, though, that the two talked of each other as family, with Morihaus as the lesser, and that Pelinal loved him and called him nephew, but these could be merely the fancies of immortals. ... 'We are ada, Mor, and change things through love.'" http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/songofpelinal.shtml#5

If Pelinal had the blood of the 'ada, then he and the 'ada-blooded Unfeathered are the opposite warring concepts so common in TES, such as the Hortator/Sharmat was in Morrowind.

___TWM
Emily Graham

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:54 am

There isn't much info, but I'm guessing some kind of Imperial or Imperial look alike, or like the others say, some kind of divine being.
Klaire

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:39 am

Muthsera,

You are probably referring to the following passage:

"It is famous, though, that the two talked of each other as family, with Morihaus as the lesser, and that Pelinal loved him and called him nephew, but these could be merely the fancies of immortals. ... 'We are ada, Mor, and change things through love.'" http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/songofpelinal.shtml#5

If Pelinal had the blood of the 'ada, then he and the 'ada-blooded Unfeathered are the opposite warring concepts so common in TES, such as the Hortator/Sharmat was in Morrowind.

___TWM

That was the one, you got it.
Christie Mitchell

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:42 am

That was the one, you got it.

Glad that I could help, and it is always a pleasure seeing you, Lycanthropic_Nerev. I enjoy reading your input.

May JHUNAL illuminate your searches,

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
Nany Smith

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:26 am

Where did the Imperials come from, then?

Dragon Break? If so, then one may presume their conquest is Aedrically mandated. So how come Imperial rule was so fragile (in certain areas?/)
Isabella X

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:16 am

Where did the Imperials come from, then?

Dragon Break? If so, then one may presume their conquest is Aedrically mandated. So how come Imperial rule was so fragile (in certain areas?/)

Well, during DF, I believe, the "imperials" were referred to as Cyrodiils (which would be divided between the Colovian from the west and the Nibenese from the east), and were NPCs only. Wasn't until MW that the Imperial race was available, but were still referred to as Cyrodiils occationally as a greeting.
Margarita Diaz

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:14 am

Pelinal had a Nedic appearance, having descended as a human with white hair. We know he is human because Kynereth gave Perrif-who-is-Alessia a diamond that was soaked red from the blood of elves, and this diamond unsectored into a man that we know as Pelinal. (http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/songofpelinal.shtml)

Pelinal's corporeal form is a human, most likely of the Cyro-Nordic race that occupied the Ayleidic lands as slaves.

___TWM

This pretty much sums it up folks. Need a read? Then might I suggest the http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/songofpelinal.shtml.

That should provide everything needed on who (or rather what), Pelinal was.
Casey

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:45 am

Well, during DF, I believe, the "imperials" were referred to as Cyrodiils (which would be divided between the Colovian from the west and the Nibenese from the east), and were NPCs only. Wasn't until MW that the Imperial race was available, but were still referred to as Cyrodiils occationally as a greeting.
No.
roxanna matoorah

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:33 pm

No.

Then skah. I need someone to enlighten me quick. However, I KNOW for a fact that my imperial MW character was called "Cyodiil" or something of that sort as a general walk-by greeting.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:41 am

Glad that I could help, and it is always a pleasure seeing you, Lycanthropic_Nerev. I enjoy reading your input.

May JHUNAL illuminate your searches,

___The Word Merchant of Julianos

Aw, you make me all toasty inside.

As for where Imperials came from, they were retconned in between Daggerfall and Morrowind. Some people haven't forgiven Bethesda, others think it was a worthwhile addition.

Lore wise, though, they're a long-term mix between nords and older Cyrodiilic tribes.
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 10:13 am

I wasn't able find Pelinal Whitestrake's race on the wiki.

I'm guessing Imperial, but that doesn't really seem like an Imperial name. Does anyone have a reference for what his race is (or was)? Thanks.

In the song of pelinal it says his name is elven, but I know he isn't elven
sarah simon-rogaume

Post » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:53 pm

No.

No? Which part of Hellmouth's explanation do you have an issue with? I think he's described it all very accurately.
neil slattery

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:44 am

No? Which part of Hellmouth's explanation do you have an issue with? I think he's described it all very accurately.

That's what I thought too. I really could have sworn the Imperial race was nothing but just "Cyrodil", namely for the humans that live in there. Well, here's what the wiki said (yeah I know it's not the best)

Known as Cyrodils, or Cyro-Nordics, before the time of Talos, the well-educated and well-spoken Imperials are the natives of the civilized, cosmopolitan province of Cyrodiil.

Looking throughout the Imperial Library, they also seem to have that same pattern; pre-Talos they're "Cyrodils" and after they're "Imperials."
Verity Hurding

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:51 am

In the song of pelinal it says his name is elven, but I know he isn't elven

Because his name as humans would say it makes birds suffocate you. So the elve's begrudgingly respectful nickname for him has to do.

He's one of those people I mentioned. Shades dosen't believe in Imperials.
Tamara Primo

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion