What would you like most from the new engine?

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 am

Well... :blush:

As a player:
  • More sensible level scaling.
  • More variations in animations (like different animations for different weapons and/or spells).
  • More expansive, lavish spell system.
  • Greater variety of loot (weapon/armour types), especially unique items (with unique meshes, textures and properties).
  • Greater variety of dungeons and landscapes (more than just caves, ruins, or tunnels... PLEASE -.-).
  • More intriguing quests (other than go-here-kill-this-fetch-that quests).
  • More variety in voice work (something comparable to that in FO3 would be nice).
  • Better dialogue system (single word topic prompts are lame).
  • Dialogue animations! (Something like that of Dragon Age would be nice).
  • Companions!
  • More melee styles (dual-wielding, spears etc).
  • Dynamic Water effects (like splashes, ripples, and... SURFACE UNDULATION / WAVES -.-).
  • Better graphics performance.
  • Better memory management (I can't even begin to STRESS this enough).
  • Fabric and HAIR (NO... SOLID... HAIR... :facepalm: ...please... :blush: ) physics! (No need to be something so fancy that requires a render server just to even run, just something like that of the Soul Calibur games would be nice).
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY, PC friendly (Oblivion can kill even the most powerful machines -.-)

As a modder:
  • Official exporters to make creating custom assets easier.
  • More expansive scripting system.
  • Built-in mod management system with expansive abilities comparable to those of Wrye Bash.

:whistling: :bolt:
Zoe Ratcliffe

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:00 pm

Ladders! Just kidding, I really hope for improved animations and dialogue system. No more freeze and zoom on the faces! Or if they still do that, have way better faces at least.
James Baldwin

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 pm

I'm hoping they take a lot of ideas from FCOM and hoping for some 2-4 player open-world multiplayer.
Emily Graham

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 pm

As a player what would you like most out of the new engine?

ALL of the above except multiplayer and I just want the game. I want Beth to perfect the game and not rush it.
Multi Multi

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:52 am

I'd like to see ALL of that in the new engine. But less priority in graphics and more in the physics and environments being improved.

I REALLY want the engine to take all of the improvements/ingenuity of the Oblivion modding community and include them. One of the recent mods that I've really wanted to download was the Immersive Interiors mod, where you could see through windows out into the city streets and so forth. The only problem was that the mod required a scripting manager that I couldn't work so I had to go without it. I'd really love to see such options in Skyrim.

Except multiplayer. Keep that out of my Elder Scrolls. Some games are just meant to be single player imo. This includes Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mass Effect, and a few other RPGs. But the problem is that everyone thinks multiplayer is what sells. Maybe it does, but it doesn't always lead to quality. I'm still convinced that the reason for Halo's deteriorating single player experience from Halo 2 and 3 was because they focused too much on the multiplayer. Developers should learn from that.
brian adkins

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:08 am

AI, yep. Make the brains somewhat more radiant than, well, irradiated.
Budgie

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:07 pm

I hope they really smash it out of the park like they did with oblivion and continue to push dx11 and still keep it playable for the masses. Like on a XBOX 360 say it has the same as PC default settings and then really have alot of graphics candy settings that the high end PC user can play!
Krystina Proietti

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:21 pm

Better animation is a must, IMO. Bethesda's animations are years behind everyone else, and need to be fixed. Besides that, better AI would be great.
April D. F

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 am

As far as the new engine goes id expect great visual, interiors & exteriors, thats a given. I also hope to always have rag doll physics or a physical interactive environment from here on out.
Siidney

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:11 am

"Interiors in exteriors" would make the game more immersive. Every time there is a loading screen you get away from the game world. That is the biggest annoyance that has been in the previous games. Integrating cities with the rest of the world would be a big improvement. Integrating the houses with the rest of the rest of the world would make it absolutely the best game out there.

Better A.I. is always welcome :D.
Alister Scott

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:15 am

1. THE WORLD SHOULDN'T PAUSE DURING DIALOGUES. (posted in all caps for emphasis)
2. No stuttering.
3. Better animations.
4. Proper multi core support.
5. Fancy DX11 effects.

I hope they test the engine and the game extensively instead of feeling obligated to release it half assed on 11.11.11.

This, plus extra PC options (i guess that would be dx11)
Dawn Porter

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:50 pm

As a modder, I have one wish: NO MORE F***ING NIFSKOPE!!!!! :brokencomputer:

I could make whatever I needed to in Blender, I could make the CS do what I needed, but I could never get anything through Nifskope, in the 5 years I've played and modded for the game. I've made several "from scratch" attempts, following tutorials, etc., but there's always some version discrepancy or error that makes it seem absolutely impossible. :banghead:

Besides that, Oblivion was a magnificent game, and the CS was one of the best modding tools at the time it came out (Crysis editor is one of the better ones now, but only in some ways). Anyway, yeah, that's my 2 cents.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:29 am

Two very simple thing.

1) Better item placement: Honestly if they're going to go through the trouble of modeling and texturing every item that drops in game, they had better provide a better way to display than in Oblivion. Morrowind's system with a couple tweaks would be ideal. Oh, and having objects "stick" would be great too. Nothing was worse than finally getting a display just right in Oblivion only to have it explode in your face if you accidentally bumped into it.

2) Named soul gems: Again, just like Morrowind had. I want to know if the soul gem in my display is a common sewer rat or the raging soul of a fiendish Deadra Lord.
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:27 am

Better AI processing, so we can finally get more than 15 NPCs on a screen at once and not have massive slow downs. And it's way to hard to pick from those options for modders, definitely all of the above XD
Betsy Humpledink

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:37 pm

I couldn't pick just one so I picked "other".

• Real Time Shadows - Everything
  • High Poly / Tesselation - Everything
  • 3D water - Waves, Ripples, etc.
  • Depth of Field
  • Motion Blur
  • Lighting - God Rays, etc.
  • Advanced AI - Not just scripted.
  • Fluid Animation

• Ability to bring the PC version's graphics beyond consoles. Do not tie my game to what a console can do, if PC hardware allows better graphics!

That's my wish list, of course I want other basic things like high quality textures, and etc, but stuff like that should be a given.

As far as mods, a well done/implemented mod manager would be nice.
Kat Ives

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:13 pm

It's hard for me to decide what is an engine issue and what is a development issue

I would like the world to be full of interact-able clutter so i guess the engine needs to hold lots of reference data - so i don't want my save corrupted if i add or remove mods

To be able to allow for decent hair and clothing physics - if i have a high elf with long hair i want it streaming in the wind - I also want water droplets to to make me look wet (hmmm better not take a t-shirt to Skyrim)

I want to be able to sit down! To lie down for sleeping and have some decent PC animations please - facial animations would be great on the NPC's if their disposition goes down I would like to see it on their face

Please don't give me scarring - unless i can use healing to remove it

For modding

I want life to be easier for making quests whether by the use of globals to track events or an improved journal

Meshes which can be remodeled for new clothing/armour - using Blender
sam westover

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:09 am

Shadows and Radiant AI . Oh god the shadows are bad in TES games.
yessenia hermosillo

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:37 am

Everything listed but Multiplayer.
Life long Observer

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:53 pm

I put Better Animation
And Not bothered b/c im a console player.
kennedy

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:50 pm

if theres going to be towns as big as imperial city, i want more NPCS and more houses to match that they live in them.

of course i also want everything on the vote list to including mount battles and ship fights would be cool too. Some type of multiplayer although it could be 2-8 players and i'd be happy but an mmorpg maybe a little overboard
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:21 pm

I'd like to see two things:

1. The atmosphere has to be great ( that means graphics, lightning, sound, interaction, storyline, etc. )

2. Make mods also available for consoles ( PS3 / XBOX360 )
Cartoon

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:01 am

I think the most impressive addition would be more NPC on screen at once. I always thought there should be more epic battles where the PC didn't have to be involved (or could be if he wanted to) large scale military battle, or phalanx formations (work that into the AI!). even if it went from 5-6 NPCs per battle to 10-15 I would be happy. I would sacrifice any graphics upgrades (but maybe not all AI upgrades) for this.
Tiffany Holmes

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:43 pm

Improved AI would be fantastic. No more citizens jumping infront of my sword. No more guards arresting me from across cyrodiil. no accidently stealing something off of the shelf while trying to talk to the clerk. Those are all widely-complained about issues, and are most definately fixed (i hope) in skyrim. Probebly the biggest problem i have was with the built-in radar system that every character had. Better AI, Better life.
Benjamin Holz

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:41 am

bigger world, bigger cities, 10x or 100x more NPCs. In other words, more realism.
Penny Flame

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:08 pm

I wonder if they'll unveil how the new engine will handle mods before the release of if they'll leave it for us to work out xD
Hussnein Amin

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim