What would you like most from the new engine?

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm

Now that http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2010/12/13/the-elder-scrolls-skyrim-announced/1 by Nick Breckon, what would you like most out of the new engine??

Post anything I haven't included below :)
Anna Beattie

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:56 pm

I'd like to see better mod management. Loading up a bunch of mods in previous games would lead to crashes and other weird things, with no way to determine what mod is causing the problems.
CHARLODDE

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:56 pm

We can really only choose one of the above? I want all the above.

I want boats and ship battles. Its not up there next to the kitchen sink and second refrigerator.
Euan

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:32 am

If you could choose more than one I'm sure everyone would choose everything making this topic rather pointless xD
Isaac Saetern

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:19 pm

Id like it to work.

No bugs. No problems. No complications needing work arounds.
Id like it alpha tested, then beta tested, then charlie tested, the delta tested, then epsilon tested, and tested again and again until it WORKS AS DESIGNED, works as we are promised, works as advertised.

Id like intelligent AI. Id like non generic NPCs.

That is all.
Heather Stewart

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 pm

The main thing that I reckon will define Skyrim visually is the lighting engine - so I'm hoping for something with dynamic shadows, ambient occlusion and god-forbit some kind of real-time radiosity solution. Less bloom and bright colours, more actual beautiful atmosphere.

The other important thing is good shaders - get some nice cloth shaders for clothing and some sort of cheap sub-surface scattering solution for all the faces, the skin and all the ice we'll be seeing. Otherwise it really will look rather bad and outdated. One of the main anachronisms of Gamebryo as opposed to the more modern engines such as UE3, CryEngine 2 and even the Project Offset engine is that there didn't ever seem to be any way of changing material properties from object to object - all you had were general specularity values and that was it.
Josh Trembly

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:22 pm

1. THE WORLD SHOULDN'T PAUSE DURING DIALOGUES. (posted in all caps for emphasis)
2. No stuttering.
3. Better animations.
4. Proper multi core support.
5. Fancy DX11 effects.

I hope they test the engine and the game extensively instead of feeling obligated to release it half assed on 11.11.11.
Laura Simmonds

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 am

Indeed, less bugs, especially game breaking ones. (Like the PS3 vampire quest snafu) and hopefully some patches.
joseluis perez

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 am

Me Personally I'd like a better Character Creation system. I liked Oblivions system although it had flaws outside of the PC version. Less Bugs please less bugs I don't want it to freeze anytime period I can accept once every 100 hours but I don't want it ending up like Fallout 3 and New Vegas in that department. Better Graphics as I probably wanna be able to see TOTM whenever I step outside a city. I'll see it and I'll go oh look at that spectular sight.
tiffany Royal

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:21 am

Mounted Combat.

Nuff said.
Ella Loapaga

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 2:02 pm

Shadows, optimization and better AI.

Feature which generates smart navmesh without much trouble.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:50 am

Id like it to work.

No bugs. No problems. No complications needing work-arounds.

You and me, both. My job would be a lot easier if these crazy designers and artists didn't keep messing up my perfect, succinct code with their "epic story arcs" and their "intricate 3D models"...(grumble grumble)
Liv Brown

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:00 pm

You and me, both. My job would be a lot easier if these crazy designers and artists didn't keep messing up my perfect, succinct code with their "epic story arcs" and their "intricate 3D models"...(grumble grumble)

Common among coders
I hear this every day :D
Maddy Paul

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:43 pm

I don't expect them to add everything that we want, so I just said better performance. No stuttering, less load times etc.
gandalf

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:36 pm

I just want to be able to have a big amount of NPCs and objects on the screen without the frame rate going to hell.
Cedric Pearson

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:50 pm

Animations/Realistic physics
Lillian Cawfield

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:00 am

Lighting and shadows.
~Sylvia~

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:00 am

I can't wait till they reveal more about the new engine xD
MR.BIGG

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:23 pm

I think I should repeat, less bugs and Glitches in the game! :brokencomputer: :brokencomputer: :brokencomputer: :brokencomputer:
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm happy with the new engine being their own overhauled version of Gamebyro ( because it's still the "same" engine, only a rebuilt version) IF they change the following:

-real/dynamic shadows (it's a must for you to be fully drawn into the game world. To be scared in a cave, to roam the marketplace of the city while the suns slowly sets stretching every shadow......)

-entirely new animation system (can't take floating and skating over land or even the dumb movement-jumping-running-combat any longer)

-character faces (i don't think this needs an explanation)

-character body variations/difference between humanoid and beast races (no fat bartender? no old hag with curved back? , no Nord with shoulders as a cupboard? no skinny little rouge girl? can't live anymore without them either)

-weather/weather particle system (Skyrim's beautiful snowstorms with the same JOKE of a moving-along-with-your-character-snow-layer-on the screen... bahh NO WAY)

-the way landscaping/texturing is handled (Skyrim's mountain ranges, threatening cliff and peaks without overhangs, deadly drops, actual cliffs end height, just steep stretched textures? thanks but no thanks! this engine is/was simply not capable of delivering the most important aspect of a fantasy game- the awe and uniqueness of the land you are exploring. You want to go to places you cannot by going on a stroll in the park. Heck it can even be done with LEVEL DESIGN:... Nehrim !!!!!)

These are the ones that are from the top off my head and I think are a MUST. I did not list any gameplay related things, as this topic about engine capabilities.
I really hope they used these years to take a good look at games what were able to deliver all these what Bethesda cannot do since Morrowind). They seriously need to change their approach if they want Skyrim to be what I think we all hope to be.
Andrew

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 am

1. Interiors in exteriors

Very unlikely.

5. Extra awesomeness options for PC users.

Would be nice.

8. Multiplayer

Meh.
9. Better performance/better optimised
10. Multi-core support

Always good!
11. Better animation!

I guess. Most of it still comes down to the skills of the animators though.

As a modder, these:

# More scripting functions included (ala OBSE etc.)
# Better AI packages options (if AI is still packages)

Devils Cheek

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:30 pm

Sorry I didnt mean to be cheeky.

I just meant that sadly it really took until Fallout New Vegas before the engine "worked as designed" or as originally intended (as far as I can recall about the original claims about Radiant AI and what not). Or at least until the problems were "worked around" enough that it made little difference. Which is kind of bad.

I realise that all games have problems and bugs on release - thats inevitable. You guys are human and I dont expect you to be perfect. I would just like it to do what it says on the tin; I dont want outlandish claims about the engine can do this, and that and when you buy the game NPCs inexplicably run pell mell into walls and what not.

Personally I hate it when a developer claims to be writing an "epic story" or be designing "really cool looking armours" or other buzz wordy phrases like that. Cos it invariably fails to live up to promises and expectations (im looking at you Fable 3) and if the developer isnt careful it can actually ruin an IP (it has in the past).
I detest The Rule of Cool. Makes me want to vomit.
patricia kris

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:05 pm

As a gamer: Seperate armor pieces, make collecting a set an act of determination, and makes you look like a ragged adventurer with ill-fitting gear for longer in the game. Spears would be nice!

As a Modder: More BiPed slots!I would like to be able to wear 4 rings on each hand, 5 necklaces, chest, R glove, L glove, Rpauldron, LPauldron, Helm, Greaves, LBoot, RBoot, shirt, pants, socks, undies, a tuque under my helm, bracelets, a cloak, a backpak and a satchel and have them all show om my character please.
Aaron Clark

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:51 am

I would like it to feel as though the world actually has gravity and that the player/NPCs/creatures actually move on the land rather than, as it feels in the Gamebryo games, moves from coordinate to coordinate that kinda sorta approximates being on a surface. Every other modern engine used in FPS titles can do this.

I second the notion about having the landscape being done without massively stretched textures.

I think they should just ditch support for a third person view entirely. If I can see what my character looks like in a menu, that's good enough for me. The third person view has never worked well and, as you can see in Rockstar games, to accommodate realistic animations the character must move slowly, making the controls less responsive. Compare this to, say, Call of Duty where the PC can move freely and NPCs can still have realistic animations because they don't have to account for WASD controls.
Sxc-Mary

Post » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:03 am

Basically all the options relateds to a player, except the multiplayer obviously :banghead: as a modder, which I'm not I voted ofr best handling of conflits, because Beth games really do have a lot of in game conflicts related to mods (crashes and what not)
C.L.U.T.C.H

Next

Return to V - Skyrim