What do you think of Female Gamers?

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:08 am

Lol, forums. Forums never change. :)

Yes, I know a few. One of them owns a video game store in our town. I thought it was so cool to find another woman (wife, and mom too) who played video games and sold them! Later, my son would go on to work in her store for several years.

And then there was the young lady who sold me my laptop last year. She plays ES and Fallout. We had a nice chat about our favorite Bethesda games.

Of course I also know lots of fellows that play ES and Fallout games (outside of the forums). I used to work at a school and found a lot of students who played, mostly male there.

Vicky Keeler

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:55 am

I don't mind females gamers :tops:.

Lew.p

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:26 am

Female gamers would probably be more visible if numb nuts didn't harass them in practically every online environment in gaming.

I used to play Halo 3 with a clan of girls fairly regularly for a few years. It was a pretty significant number of players encountered that harassed them or tried to cozy up to them

instantly. This continued with some other games but eventually they almost all stopped playing online games. They said it was sort of fun at first to talk crap to idiots and whatnot for awhile, but eventually the never ending abuse just made most of them stop playing online games or stay in private parties. Putting them on a pedestal doesn't help but idiots will be idiots and then you have the [censored] gatekeepers.

Ugh...at least things have improved since then. Female gamers are far from mystical creatures these days but there was a time not that long ago where if they just breathed in a supposedly feminine manner through a mic, a bunch of idiots would jump on them with some kind incredibly sixist comment, condescension or solicitation.

I know some female gamers avoided these experiences, but having seen just how bad it gets regularly I'm pretty jaded.
Cagla Cali

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:16 pm

Nah that's just myth :P.

evelina c

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:42 pm

no a lot of perverted stuff.
Britta Gronkowski

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 am

I don't want those darn wimminz taking away my hobby!

rae.x

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:58 am

I remember watching a Destiny stream from Bungie where they invited a female only clan to play with them....

That was not a good day. The chat was absolutely horrendous to these women. Harassment and threats could be seen every second in the chat.

So I agree with Albino Dunmer in that many are probably against playing online games nowadays.
Amy Smith

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:54 am

I myself am a female gamer! And proud of it! I grew up with a brother who was one year younger than me, so getting into games as a child was pretty easy. I've enjoyed all kinds of games, from Pokemon to Halo. Me being a girl makes no impact on how I play or what I play. I like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo equally, and even played WoW but now play GW2 as my MMO. However, I dislike competitive play - I don't do PvP in online games or FPS's. I prefer playing games for their stories and characters. Hence why if I play Halo, all I do is campaign mode.

Matthew Barrows

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:58 pm

Yup I dislike PvP as well
Stryke Force

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:50 am

I don't even like real-life competition. Was never into competitive sports. Competition gives me anxiety! (Not clinical anxiety, though!) For me, it defeats the purpose of having fun. I dabbled in some Halo and WoW PvP back in the day, but it really wasn't my thing.

Kim Bradley

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:15 am

Neither was I. Pretty much always thought don't give me the ball every time I was forced to join.

Laura Samson

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:49 am

Yeah, you can come into contact with a lot of strange, disrespectful, damaged kids in online games. It's a big part of the reason that I don't play online games anymore unless I know people that I can group up with. There are too many people that seem to think it's funny to svck the fun out of the game for everyone else or take their insecure, schoolyard bullying nonsense to the game. I don't have time to put up with it, so I tend to stick to single-player games or the occasional co-op with a friend. I used to play Guild Wars and GW2, but most of the people I used to play with don't have time to play anymore, and I just didn't bother to try to find other reasonable people to play with.

I love competition as long as it's friendly. A lot of the PVP'ers in online games these days just aren't much fun to play with.

Solène We

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:55 pm

This right here sums the whole situation up, in my opinion. Were I a "girl gamer", I'd NEVER tell anyone. The basemant virgins swarm like piranha at the smell of blood.

I'm the same. I game for the fun and enjoyment, not the win/loss percentage :D

Alexx Peace

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 3:41 am

I personally couldn't care less about my "stats." I just find competition to be exciting as long as it's not a slog to deal with the other players. :shrug:

Christine Pane

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:45 pm

True. In my gaming group (boards games), we had a couple of players that "played to win", no matter the game. At the end of the games, many times it boiled down to someone not in a position to win helping decide the victor. "You're going to play Kingmaker here?" No matter what the non-winning player did, the outcome was effected. Those kinds of players are no fun to game with.

Competition is fun, I agree. It's just that winning is not everything. And to go against my favorite American Football Pro coach Vince Lombardi, winning is not the only thing, either. That being said, winning sure is nice, though :lol:

OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:57 pm

At posting, Date night between me and my girlfriend usually entailed Saints Row.

Janette Segura

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:59 am

Same here: I've always totally unenjoyed that sort of thing. Absolutely hate it. I must admit I'm not big on cooperative stuff either as I'm nervous around other people, even online, but I much prefer that to competitive stuff which just seems much too aggressive and generally antagonistic to me.
Darlene Delk

Post » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:12 am

I knew one in High school, cool ginger with a competitive streak. After that though....I'm pretty sure they've gone extinct. :(

Spoiler
Sarcasm lies somewhere in my post..

Catherine N

Previous

Return to Othor Games