Who is Paul Oughton

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:59 pm

I found http://www.maximumpc.com/article/news/bethesda_elder_scrolls_v_arrive_2010 article today using Bing and I'm curious who Paul Oughton is? I have never heard him mentioned on the forums and am wondering what happened. I know this is an old article but still, it does give one hope.
Sophie Morrell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:02 am

:shrug:

Well it says he's from Bethesda, so I don't think you need anymore proof than that. Besides, that article says potentially a new elder scrolls title is coming in 2010, so who knows if it's actually going to happen or not.
April D. F

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:23 am

Paul Oughton is a "publishing executive" and not really a developer. And that article is over a year old, you will not see a new TES released in 2010.
Irmacuba

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:28 am

Is that right is it? comes directly from the horses mouth is it? have you given us actual information or are you just guessing?

Cause ya know, if its not coming out in 2010 then why the [censored] am I still here?

If your correct about that then there wont be an anouncement this year either. So please remind us why the [censored] are we all here?

That would also mean it will be 5 years between TES releases. Either Bethesda is making a realy uber 1337 game, or... Bethesda has become realy realy lazy.
Danger Mouse

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:18 pm

Cause ya know, if its not coming out in 2010 then why the [censored] am I here?

Noone here is in control of your life, so how do you expect anyone to know the answer for that? No one forces you to be here, and if you feel it's a waste of time, then you really shouldn't be here but instead do something you feel is more worthwhile and meaningful for your life. Like becoming a firefighter or something :P

That would also mean it will be 5 years between TES releases. Either Bethesda is making a realy uber 1337 game, or... Bethesda has become realy realy lazy.

There was 6 years between TES2: Daggerfall and TES3: Morrowind.
Pixie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:40 am

Is that right is it? comes directly from the horses mouth is it? have you given us actual information or are you just guessing?

Cause ya know, if its not coming out in 2010 then why the [censored] am I still here?

If your correct about that then there wont be an anouncement this year either. So please remind us why the [censored] are we all here?

There could, and will likely be, an announcement in 2010. However, an announcement in 2010 means it's unlikely that the game will be released before 2011. Bethesda usually takes more than a year to release a game after announcing it, so because we didn't get an announcement in 2009, TESV wont be released until 2011 at the earliest.
matt

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:35 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
Haley Cooper

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:47 am

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I'm worried that TES V will not be great. Bethesda was still working on Fallout 3 until late 2009. Fallout 3 was also worked on after Oblivion was released instead of TES V, so I don't think Bethesda will be able to release an amazing TES game in 2011. If they want to truly take their time and make TES V amazing, we probably won't be seeing it until 2012.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:02 pm

I'm worried that TES V will not be great. Bethesda was still working on Fallout 3 until late 2009. Fallout 3 was also worked on after Oblivion was released instead of TES V, so I don't think Bethesda will be able to release an amazing TES game in 2011. If they want to truly take their time and make TES V amazing, we probably won't be seeing it until 2012.

Bethesda split up their teams when they started working on the Fallout 3 DLC, and chances are they did the same while working on Fallout 3. One team worked on Fallout 3, the other worked on TESV. There's no doubt in my mind they've been working on TESV, to some extent, since the release of Fallout 3.
Kira! :)))

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:01 am

Bethesda split up their teams when they started working on the Fallout 3 DLC, and chances are they did the same while working on Fallout 3. One team worked on Fallout 3, the other worked on TESV. There's no doubt in my mind they've been working on TESV, to some extent, since the release of Fallout 3.

I know, but Fallout 3 wasn't released until 2008. I doubt TES V was seriously worked on until Fallout 3 was released, and that would mean Bethesda needs more time in between TES games to make a good one that they used to. The Fallout series is in the equation now. Oblivion had about 4 years of production time, and it could have been so much more. I love Oblivion, but Bethesda can do better. I want Bethesda to take their time with TES V and make it as good as it can possibly be. If Bethesda didn't seriously start working on TES V until 2008, how can we expect it any earlier that 2012 or 2013, especially if we want it to be good?
saharen beauty

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 pm

I know, but Fallout 3 wasn't released until 2008. I doubt TES V was seriously worked on until Fallout 3 was released, and that would mean Bethesda needs more time in between TES games to make a good one that they used to. The Fallout series is in the equation now. Oblivion had about 4 years of production time, and it could have been so much more. I love Oblivion, but Bethesda can do better. I want Bethesda to take their time with TES V and make it as good as it can possibly be. If Bethesda didn't seriously start working on TES V until 2008, how can we expect it any earlier that 2012 or 2013, especially if we want it to be good?

Yeah, you have a point. :shrug:
W E I R D

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:11 pm

Yeah, you have a point. :shrug:

I was afraid of that. I was hoping I was wrong and you would tell me something, such as Bethesda increased the size of their development team or something that would make TES V come out before then, while being amazing. I really want TES V soon, but I don't want it to be rushed. I would rather wait longer for TES V to be better, but I'm not sure if Bethesda are thinking the same thing.
Heather Stewart

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:49 am

I was afraid of that. I was hoping I was wrong and you would tell me something, such as Bethesda increased the size of their development team or something that would make TES V come out before then, while being amazing. I really want TES V soon, but I don't want it to be rushed. I would rather wait longer for TES V to be better, but I'm not sure if Bethesda are thinking the same thing.

Well I found this article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Five-DLC-Packs-for-Fallout-3-Are-Enough-Developer-Says-119879.shtml

He went on to reveal that work on the DLC packs started as soon as the development of the game was finished, as the team split into two sides. One would continue working on DLC and the other would move to another big project. "About half the team goes on to the next big game," he said, without divulging any hints about what it might be. "The other half, which is mostly a lot of artists and designers go on to DLC stuff."

This would mean that Bethesda has only been working on "the next big game" since October 2008, and only half of the team at that. And in August of 2009, the entire team got back together to work on "the next big game." So that would mean they've only been working on "the next big game" for about a year or so. :cold:

Of course, how bad that news is depends on how big Bethesda's team has gotten since Oblivion was released, and if half of that team is enough to get a significant amount of work done on "the next big game."
Lance Vannortwick

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:27 am

Well I found this article:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Five-DLC-Packs-for-Fallout-3-Are-Enough-Developer-Says-119879.shtml

This would mean that Bethesda has only been working on "the next big game" since October 2008, and only half of the team at that. And in August of 2009, the entire team got back together to work on "the next big game." So that would mean they've only been working on "the next big game" for about a year or so. :cold:

Of course, how bad that news is depends on how big Bethesda's team has gotten since Oblivion was released, and if half of that team is enough to get a significant amount of work done on "the next big game."

As much as I like the Fallout series, I hate it right now. I like Fallout games, but they are taking away time that can be spent on TES games. :cryvaultboy:
Pawel Platek

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:29 pm

Yup, its gonna do a Duke Nukem Forever.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:59 am

Paul Oughton is a "publishing executive" and not really a developer. And that article is over a year old, you will not see a new TES released in 2010.

This may come as a shock to Bethesda but for some of us the TES series is the ONLY product in their lineup that holds our interest. Its unfortunate that their marketing strategy involves a level of secrecy and denial that strongly implies a disregard for the fanbase. In fact, its discouraging to read continuous chest-thumping brag fests on the Beth Blog concerning FO3 and no words of hope, at all, for continuation of TES. Now supposedly the Moderators here weren't given 'any' insight into the future of TES (just as ignorant as us) but you seem to know something significant. Did you receive a directive to make the 'no 2010 release' statement to shut us up? Is Bethesda getting tired of all of us whining customers clamoring for news of a product we want to pay to play?
cassy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:20 am

This may come as a shock to Bethesda but for some of us the TES series is the ONLY product in their lineup that holds our interest. Its unfortunate that their marketing strategy involves a level of secrecy and denial that strongly implies a disregard for the fanbase. In fact, its discouraging to read continuous chest-thumping brag fests on the Beth Blog concerning FO3 and no words of hope, at all, for continuation of TES. Now supposedly the Moderators here weren't given 'any' insight into the future of TES (just as ignorant as us) but you seem to know something significant. Did you receive a directive to make the 'no 2010 release' statement to shut us up? Is Bethesda getting tired of all of us whining customers clamoring for news of a product we want to pay to play?

I doubt Bethesda would take the risk of giving important information to people who do not work for Bethesda(moderators), so the opinions of the moderators on these forums are their own, not Bethesda's.

I like the Fallout series, but not nearly as much as TES series. I don't like that Bethesda's attention is split between the Fallout series and TES series(actually seems to be completely for the Fallout series at the moment) because I want more Elder Scrolls games, and Fallout games only delay the release of a future Elder Scrolls game, significantly. I like the Fallout series, but I don't think a Fallout game is worth the time taken away from an Elder Scrolls game. I think Bethesda should sell the Fallout series and get back to TES series, but I know that will never happen. I am actually afraid that Bethesda will make the Fallout series their signature series, since Fallout 3 sold more than Oblivion.
Pixie

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:36 am

I'm pretty displeased with the hint that the next game will take place 200 years after the Oblivion crisis. With that being the only thing to go on, I'm just not ready to care when it comes out.
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:32 am

I doubt Bethesda would take the risk of giving important information to people who do not work for Bethesda(moderators), so the opinions of the moderators on these forums are their own, not Bethesda's.

I like the Fallout series, but not nearly as much as TES series. I don't like that Bethesda's attention is split between the Fallout series and TES series(actually seems to be completely for the Fallout series at the moment) because I want more Elder Scrolls games, and Fallout games only delay the release of a future Elder Scrolls game, significantly. I like the Fallout series, but I don't think a Fallout game is worth the time taken away from an Elder Scrolls game. I think Bethesda should sell the Fallout series and get back to TES series, but I know that will never happen. I am actually afraid that Bethesda will make the Fallout series their signature series, since Fallout 3 sold more than Oblivion.

But remember, TESV is the thing standing in the way of Fallout 4. Your complaint can apply to both sides. I'm confident that Bethesda has been working on TESV, because of the novels that they commissioned. The novels are a way to lead up to the release of TESV. If they were going to release Fallout 4, commissioning the novels now would be pointless.
Quick draw II

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am

They went into full production in October 2008 with their next game. They've been working on it since Oblivion was released, but with a small team in pre-production stage.
jessica Villacis

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:54 am

My feelings exactly.
Carlos Rojas

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:29 am

They went into full production in October 2008 with their next game. They've been working on it since Oblivion was released, but with a small team in pre-production stage.

I'd like to see some sources backing that up, if you don't mind. Like I said in http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1065099&view=findpost&p=15483804 post, their entire development team was working on Fallout 3 so they couldn't have been working on TESV.
My blood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:18 am

I'd like to see some sources backing that up, if you don't mind. Like I said in http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?s=&showtopic=1065099&view=findpost&p=15483804 post, their entire development team was working on Fallout 3 so they couldn't have been working on TESV.

Common sense.
Chris BEvan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:25 am

Common sense.

Ah, so it's just your assumption? I like to have proof before I say things, tbh. If all of their development team was devoted to making Fallout 3, they couldn't have dedicated very many people, if any, to making TESV. Even if they could, very little progress would be made, especially if the entire team wasn't working on it. It's like getting a construction crew to build a house, then telling them to build a mansion next door without wasting any extra time.
Lizbeth Ruiz

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 pm

But remember, TESV is the thing standing in the way of Fallout 4. Your complaint can apply to both sides. I'm confident that Bethesda has been working on TESV, because of the novels that they commissioned. The novels are a way to lead up to the release of TESV. If they were going to release Fallout 4, commissioning the novels now would be pointless.

No, TES fans were here first. Obsidian could easily take over the Fallout series, I'm sure of it. It's been four years since Oblivion's release and it hasn't even been confirmed that there will be another Elder Scrolls game. I like Fallout, really I do, but it's standing in the way of the true Bethesda series. I didn't always think this way. I started out with TES series, then one day saw Fallout 3 and decided to try it. I loved Fallout 3, but it didn't compare to an Elder Scrolls game. I didn't think about it harming TES series much then, but now, as nearly four years have passed dince Oblivion's release and there isn't any news of TES V, I am getting impatient. I want TES V, but Bethesda doesn't care. Fallout makes more money than TES series, more and more fans are showing their anger, and I am growing more aware of what the Fallout series is doing to TES series, the series that is Bethesda.
Amanda Leis

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion