Why we can't get a "proper" Fallout game?

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:20 am

It was his way of defining his Fallout experience and I don't see anything malevolent about it.
Calum Campbell

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:35 am

Proper? Do you own the rights? Did you make the game? No? Then why are you so entitled? It's one thing having an opinion, which you have made pretty good, but adding in "proper" is an insult to anyone who may disagree with you or actually like what Bethesda has done. Especially when you put in proper in quotation marks. Is this for flaming or just trying to get your point across? I think it's the later but when I triple read it, it almost seems flame bait when it's said right in the beginning.

What is proper for you, may not be proper for others. Funny how Fallout 3 sold millions, has Fallout 1 and 2 sold millions? If not then maybe Fallout 3 is the proper version then. It's one thing to say, "this is my opinion and how I would like to see the Fallout series" instead of being entitled and saying other people are wrong in their opinion and yours is the correct way.

How about looking at the game at a different perspective? Instead of looking at a 3rd person isometric down view, you are looking at a first person view or 3rd person behind the view. Same "proper" game but at a different viewing angle.

Connor Wing

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:50 pm

After around 18 years of playing video games, I have learned that no game is perfect. Each will come with its own strengths and weaknesses. Even though constructive criticism is nice and helps developers make better games, I find it ridiculous that people will say that a game is "improper" especially when it hasn't even been released yet. The people out there who are looking for a perfect game will never be satisfied as that is an impossible feat to achieve.

My motto is that one should enjoy games for what they are instead of solely complaining about what they aren't.

Beulah Bell

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:15 pm

Suppose you are a successful writer. You love thinking up stories, and giving life to new worlds and characters, and sharing your stories with appreciative readers. You are pleased with your own writing, and your efforts find no lack of adoring fans.

Along comes a group of disgruntled readers. They insist that you mishandle your subject matter. "You should adopt George R. R. Martin's writing style," they say. "If you cannot do that," they continue, "then you should confine your writing to describing the setting, and give it to others to handle character development, plot, and dialog."

Dina Boudreau

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:10 am

well bethesda does make "proper" fallout games, you're not getting some remake of fallout 1 and 2 and as far as NV 2, that won't be happening either, it was bad enough roaming around that desolate desert let alone part 2 of that.

Rach B

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:50 am

He never said it was. It was extremely clear he was saying proper from his own experience. He never once said something was objectively bad. You're just trying to twist his words to make him seem bad when all he did was say what he wants as a definite Fallout experience for him.
Dale Johnson

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:14 am

These games have all those things in varying quantity.

Honestly I find your argument verges on a troll thread because we could all have view about what is most 'proper'.

Instead of you inviting a calm discussion about the evolution of differing gameplay mechanics across the series

you prefer instead to post an opinion masquerading as fact 'Why we can't get a "proper" Fallout game?' which is just argumentative click bait in my opinion.

All of which comes before the game is reviewed let alone released.

You may be (as you've shared) an 'old gamer'.

But I think you are old enough to know better.

Kate Schofield

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:16 am

Yes the OP made extremely valid points. Problem is he put proper in quotations. That is flame bait. He is stressing his version is the correct version and our opinions are wrong and not valid. Take the quotations out and then it's his opinion and we are all entitled to opinions. Problem is when saying your opinion is the correct one, is when people get antsy.

Baylea Isaacs

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:07 am

I would love to play a game with Ubisoft's animations, Bethesda's world-building, Obsidian's writing, and Bioware's depth of character. That'd be a great game if all my favorite studios got together to collaborate on one massive game (or it'd be too many cooks in the kitchen and end up as a bland experiment in compromise and design-by-comittee, more realistically.)

But I'm not going to discount every game each developer puts out individually because it doesn't live up to the ideal hypothetical I've invented. :shrug:

Connor Wing

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:54 am

No he didn't. The proper was in quotations because he was unsure on how to word what he considers to be the ultimate Fallout experience. If he didn't put it in quotations, it'd come across as arrogant and objective, but in quotations it obviously has connotations of uncertainty and trying to get one's point across.
Stephy Beck

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:07 pm

I said it once, I will say it again. Putting it in quotations is not really saying it was his own experience but his opinion is the correct one. Other than that, I agree with what he or she says is a very valid opinion. :)

Causon-Chambers

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:04 am

Indeed, but it's fine to want that and express a desire for it, even if you know it probably won't ever happen.
Greg Swan

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm

Nothing will ever top the original Fallout, the excitement of discovering new locations, the decisions you made that had such a dramatic effect on the game, the interaction with all the characters and not knowing who was good or evil. I spent so many hours on that game and every second was worth it. The other Fallout games that followed were great in their own right, but what I'm looking forward to most with 4 is the amount of area we'll have to explore, and that's what I love doing most, simply exploring. I hear that 4 will have 3 times more area to explore than Fallout 3 and that makes me happy. Tuesday can't come soon enough. I would do the midnight launch but that makes me too tired on Tuesday during the day when I'm trying to play.

Cheers

James Rhead

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:36 am

ToJKa, do you know Warcraft's connection to the Warhammer? (Search kotaku for "how warcraft was almost a warhammer game")

Yes I very well know Fallout made because they lost rights to Wasteland IP.

But you see (if you read the Kotaku article), Warcraft made because they couldn't get rights of Warhammer IP.

Does it makes World Of Warcraft as a "Warhammer MMORPG". No way, not even close.

Same applies to Fallout, too.

Yes, it has connections with Wasteland.

But Wasteland was a tactical squad combat game with RPG elements. Same goes with Wasteland 2, a tactical squad combat game with RPG elements.

However Fallout 1-2 were story driven dialogue optioned RPG game. I can even argue first Fallout game revolutionized wRPGs and changed Western people's idea about cRPG.

So, playing Wasteland 2 for a "proper Fallout game" is no different than playing Fallout 4 for a "proper Fallout game" for me. Not even close to what I am trying to say.

matt

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:25 pm

I think it's the other way around. No quotations means you think your point is the only way of looking at it and quotations looks like he's just trying to express his point but is unsure of how to do so and uses that word despite being unsure if it's the correct word to use.

I detected nothing malevolent in his post and I agree that Fallout 4 would be absolutely amazing with the writing and characters of New Vegas
Batricia Alele

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 am

Yes, it's fine to dream. I do it all the time. Today I'm dreaming of being a billionaire.

JD bernal

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:07 pm

todd howard already has said they listen to what their fans want and try to implement them, so if you're not getting what you want maybe you're in the minority and you're not part of the "what the fans want" group.

Kristian Perez

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:23 am

Maybe because I am old now. :P Things are way different now on how to read properly and the young kids are taught now is different to the way I was taught. :)

Ross Zombie

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:00 pm

I love you :)

Janine Rose

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 am

i agree

naomi

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:13 pm

I admit to being more interested in knowing whether

Fallout 4 is a good Fallout game than a 'proper' one...

Motionsharp

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:42 am

Yes, you are right, quotations was there for that purpose. Thank you.

Myles

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:21 am

Some people don't give Vethesda enough credit... I mean they had to literally reboot an entire saga many had thought were dead and gone.

If it wasn't for Todd and co. they wouldn't have even made another Fallout. Literally some of the brass wanted to make their own ip and argued against Fallout.
Danielle Brown

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:19 pm

I'm not much of a gamer. I prefer TV shows and films as I like to get invested in characters, which is someone struggle with on the video game platform. So Fallout isn't something I expect much from, if that makes sense. The only gaming series I truly invest myself in is Elder Scrolls. I play Fallout to immerse myself in a huge, open world, so I don't expect much beyond what Bethesda are known to offer. I'm not in this 'minority' group you refer to.

I don't think that, just because Bethesda listen to what the majority of the fans want (which I don't think happens enough, as they never pay much attention to the core fanbase), doesn't mean people should tell the minority to shut up if they don't get what they want. They can still express what they want from an experience. If nobody did that, Bthesda wouldn't have anyone to listen to.
мistrєss

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:15 am

Yes, but it is sort of a "spiritual sequel", is what i meant :shrug:
TRIsha FEnnesse

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion