Why we can't get a "proper" Fallout game?

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:22 am

OK, OK, I see the hype. Even the people who didn't hear the Fallout name before are drooling all over like Jet junkies. And I am sure when the game released a few days later, every gaming website will give it 100/100 GOTY instantly.

But as an old gamer (and I am not talking about that American term "who played Mario and Zelda in NES") the new game still disturbing me. OK I know even this game was a racing game, it would get that hype. But I am sad that we can't get a "proper" Fallout game.

There was a heavy discussion between Fallout 3 - New Vegas players. Some said Fallout 3 was the real deal because BETHESDA DID IT and New Vegas just like an expansion pack. Some said New Vegas was the real Fallout sequel because original Fallout developers were involved.

For me, neither of them was a "proper" Fallout games.

Fallout 3 had great atmosphere, awesome sandboxing experience, interesting city designs. But it had lack of depth in storyline, dialogue lines were boring and didn't have "alternative quest paths" like the previous Fallout games.

New Vegas had a really interesting story, compelling characters, competitive between factions, intelligently written dialogues and closer feeling to the previous games. However I think NV developers couldn't benefit from sandbox map as much as F3 did, city and landscape designs were very dull, especially after F3.

A combined force from the two teams, could lead to a better representation of Fallout 1-2 games.

Bethesda could make the game engine, art concepts and city designs.

And Obsidian could fill the game with characters, stories, quests.

Therefore we would get a really good game.

In a such a game, there wouldn't be any difference for gaming media. They would still see the game as a "new Bethesda game" and give the instant 100/100 as usual. But for us, the "real" Fallout fans, that would be a "proper" game.

Yes yes, Bethesda can give development rights to Obsidian+inXile for a New Vegas 2, and I (or people like me) will still get those "intelligently written dialogues and stories". But these teams don't have the big budgets and giant capabilities of Bethesda.

The game isn't released yet, but I believe Fallout 4 would be like heavy modified Fallout 3 or very console FPS-sized like Bioshock Infinite (Think Infinite as F4, Bioshock as F3, System Shock 1-2 as F1-2).

Eric Hayes

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:39 pm

If you want a "proper" Fallout sequel, then play https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasteland_2.

As for the rest of us, we'll be content with Fallout 4.

/end topic

mishionary

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:53 am

Your already getting a 100% Fallout game in 4. 3 was a 'proper' Fallout game too.
Davorah Katz

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:51 pm

It's a "proper" Fallout game as far as I'm concerned.

I've enjoyed every Fallout game for their own merits and foibles since '97, personally.
Tanya

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:13 pm

If you are content with Fallout 4, I can understand how you think Wasteland 2 is a "proper" Fallout sequel.

Wasteland 2 was a Wasteland 1 sequel, didn't have any relation with Fallout games (1, 2 or Van Buren).

If you did say New Vegas, then you would be right. It used many contents of cancelled F3 game - Van Buren.

But Wasteland 2 were aiming tactical combat aspects of original Wasteland game, not the questlines and dialogues of Fallout 1-2.

end topic? not even close :)

Spencey!

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:41 pm

I think they both did fine as sequels to the first two.

Cedric Pearson

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 pm

Well thank God you can read the future and know everything. For your information I played ALL the Fallouts in ORDER and I personally LOVE what Bethesda did with Fallout 3. I actually dislike the world of FNV. FNV can be summed up as great upgrades to gameplay, lousy game world.

Face it, Fallout is NEVER going to give you what you want ever again. Trolling the publisher's forums will not change that.

Sami Blackburn

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:04 am

Sorry OP, I find attempts to define the game as not 'proper' to be pretty facile.

Speaking as an 'old gamer' myself, I'm looking forward to what I believe will be the definitive Fallout.

lolly13

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:56 am

Bethesda own all the rights to the Fallout game series, so Fallout is whatever they say it is.

:wavey:

..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:05 am

Can you tell me how so?

Just because the title is "FALLOUT 3!" doesn't make the game automatically a proper Fallout game.

And again, just because the title is "FALLOUT 4!" also doesn't make the game automatically a Fallout game.

Will we have good dialogue options, alternative routes, detailed RPG systems,

or will we have a "shoot every monster with your power armor" FPS game?

OK Trannigan, we are in Bethesda forums and I believe most of users here are hardcoe Bethesda fans. And I am sure all those guys will be ok for "Skyrim with guns",

but you could still try to understand what I am telling with "proper" Fallout game.

Charlie Ramsden

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:42 am

Let's be frank, OP, what you really want is a Fallout 1/2 remake. Fallout 1 is my 2nd favorite game of all time (BG2 takes top spot), and I still enjoyed both FO3 and NV, despite them being radically different games. Sure, if you only enjoy deep RPGs and no other genre, I can see why you'd be upset, but that's your problem.

Marina Leigh

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:07 pm

Can't please everyone, but to make these kinds of assumptions before the game is even out is a bit silly. Wait until you actually know anything before making up your mind. With that said, I think it looks very promising from what have been shown, and I have no doubt I will be thoroughly entertained, even if not everything is the way I would prefer it to be.

Laura Shipley

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 am

Perhaps, perhaps not. The only thing that is obvious, self-evident and absolutely indisputable is that you are in no way an authority on, or the arbiter of, what is or isn't a proper Fallout title.

Alexander Lee

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:39 am

Well i loved Fallout 1 and 2, thought Fallout 3 was good eventhough it lacked in some aspects and loved Fallout NV again, my personal hopes are they took the best stuff from both Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and combined it in Fallout 4. So while i can understand your position you also need to take into account that now we have a fully voiced protagonist in a sandbox type enviroment(which for me is great something i always wanted) so certain things had to change.

Karen anwyn Green

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:53 pm

"Too many cooks spoil the broth."

If Obsidian was given the opportunity to make a "proper" Fallout game (in the image of the original two games), they should make it all themselves to look the way they want to, to play the way they want to, to sound and read the way they want to. To stay consistent and true to their own vision of it.

Mel E

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:26 am

Because "proper Fallout" game doesn't mean the same to every person. If it isn't a game you would like to play there is a simple solution. Don't buy it. Buy a game that feels proper for you.

Someone who played Fallout 1, 2, 3, NV at release and consider them all as proper Fallout game with their weak and strong sides.

Sakura Haruno

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:06 pm

it sort of does. Wasteland developers made Fallout because they lost rights to Wasteland IP. Fallout developers made Wasteland 2 because they lost the rights to Fallout IP, some of them still the same who worked on the first Wasteland :hehe:

And Wasteland 2 is the closest you're going to get to classic Fallouts from now on :shrug:
Ownie Zuliana

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 pm

OP, (heya there Bone!) it was rather benevolent of Bethesda to let Obsidian do a spin-off again and that's best and most you can reasonably and rationally ask for from a developer at this stage. That's more than anything else ever did for one the 90's big franchises. Thank God that it was Bethesda who bought the franchise.

Rachie Stout

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:04 pm

I did say "I believe..." -> it was just an idea of me, a simple thought. I didn't claim that I can read the future and know everything. But you warp my words just to fight and flame here.

I also said that NV had also problems and game world was dull. Yet you still behave like I didn't told things like that. (Read above again, I told what I liked and disliked in both F3 and NV)

I just wanted to hold a middle ground, but sadly Beth fans like you will not care what is the discussion. You even gone further and claimed that I am trolling here. Lel, not even close.

So, if guys like you here don't want to discuss about Fallout series, then I will not even try to explain myself.

Let's end the thread peacefully by saying "ALL HAIL LORD BETHESDA!"

ok?

PS:

For your information, I played ALL the Elder Scrolls games in order (yes even that terrible Battlespire) and I personally liked Skyrim. But still I see Fallout 4 as "FPS-ized heavily modified Fallout 3" and not a "proper" Fallout game.

PS2:
Hey Tempest13, if any gaming media give the game a score less than 100, will you call them trolling, too?

Vicky Keeler

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:52 am

The OP made extremely valid points and offered constructive criticism. It's entirely subjective. It's like anything positive posted here is great but you're not allowed to say anything negative, even if it's constructive. Saying 'THIS WILL BE THE BEST GAME EVER IN THE WORLD!!!111!!!' gets you replies like 'I'm glad you're excited!' and 'I agree :D', whereas saying 'I think I'll like the game, but it could do better if it had this feature' gets you replies like 'You haven't even played the game!' (which should go both ways) and 'Let Bethesda do what they want!'

He just said that the elements of 3 and NV should be combined to make the ultimate Fallout experience, basically, and everyone jumps on him for not thinking Fallout 4 will be perfect.
GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:44 am

I don't know, i would like to see an alternate universe where BioWare got the license. I bet it would involve traveling to three places in the Wasteland collecting parts of Liberty Prime for the BoS to defeat the evil Enclave :lmao:
Tarka

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:01 pm

I disagree on that, Dead State for example is much closer gameplay experience to Fallout even if it has zombies instead of ghouls and mutants. Wasteland 2 might have a closer setting but combat, dialogues, etc is rather different and generally lackluster.

I'd say it was a good thing they had to create Fallout instead of Wasteland sequel back then, one is superior to the other overall.

Laura Cartwright

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:20 pm

I did not think I would like guns. I played Fallout 3 because I like Bethesda games. I liked guns.. Imagine that. -laugh-

I will play Fallout 4 because it is a Bethesda game and I enjoyed Fallout 3.

I'm hoping for companions like Fawkes or Lily and Charon. We shall see. At least the dog can not die.

I am sorry you feel this is not a "real" game.. Good luck to you in your search for "Real" games.. :facepalm: :snoring: :shrug: :shakehead:

Jason White

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:38 pm

I don't know where you get the idea that Fallout 3 didn't have alternative quest paths. Most quests had multiple ways to complete them as well as significantly different outcomes that you could achieve depending on your choices.

Off the top of my head: Arefu, Tenpenny Tower, Vault 112, Paradise Falls, the group of escaped slaves, Oasis, Burk vs Simms, Moriarty's info, Moira's book, the Replicated Man... you can even skip whole chunks of the main quest.

There were a few sections of the main quest that you had to go through in a linear fashion, because they were fixed parts of the story. Beyond that, most of the game was pretty wide open.

Also, you don't get to decide what is or isn't a "proper" Fallout game. As far as I've seen so far, Fallout 4 will be the best Fallout yet.
roxanna matoorah

Post » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:43 am

It's simply the phrase "proper". This is a highly subjective term. I didn't jump on anyone. I simply explained what todo if a game that I am thinking about to buy doesn't feel "proper".

Jamie Moysey

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion