Would a fallout movie be a good idea?

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:08 pm

Of course it would be bandwagoning on a major scale, but I personally think it could be a good idea. But instead of it being after the war, make it about the events leading up to the war. Like the US annexing Canada, and the creation of the FEV virus/the new plague. The movie could then end when the bombs start dropping, with an outro by Ron Perlman. It would still leave the mystery of who started the nukes, but it would explain things in a more intense way. (As opposed the the Fallout bible.)

What do you think?
Cccurly

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:22 am

:ninja: Well there are too many movies like this that are good (Mad Max for example), making one based of a hit game will obviously include Ule Bowl and a budget of 5 dollars.
maya papps

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:13 pm

I think it would be a cool idea, i always dreamed of a fallout movie, maybe the war thing could be cool but didn't the war lasted like 10 minutes?
biiibi

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:20 am

No, but the dropping of the bombs did (I.E the great war), Which is why I said the events leading up to the war. That covers about 110 years. Assuming the time split is around the end of WWII.

There are many things that could be done, such as the creation of the FEV virus, the war itself, the creation of the vaults, the enclaves plan of the vault experiments.
Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:22 am

War lasted 10 minutes tops, but I voted no because all the video game movies they do make (Max Payne, or are about to make (BioShock 2010), dont turn out so good.
JLG

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:57 am

Winter: In the winter of 2066, China invades Alaska. The Anchorage Front Line becomes a true battleground. (the event is mentioned in the Fallout 1 intro 40px. Date is mentioned only in the Fallout Bible timeline

The war started 10 years previous. The nuclear exchange lasted 10 minutes.

Sources, fallout bible, fallout wiki timeline, the opening of fallout 1.
SexyPimpAss

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:26 pm

I don't think a Fallout movie would satisfy in the sense that you don't have any good reference points for making a story that would truly be relevant. It sounds odd, but the appeal of Fallout, to me at least, is due to game being more about telling the story of a compelling setting rather than the story of the people living in it. Most, if not all, movies are purely character driven where to appreciate Fallout you need to dig into the background story in order for it not to become "just another post-apocalyptic" setting - it's the kitchy artwork, the dark humour and the entire ambience that makes Fallout what it is, not the story per-se. This is why a movie never would be truly capable of getting the right "feel" and become truly a Fallout product rather than a shallow IP revenue product, because there's not opportunity to explore the world yourself. :)

If it had to be done, I'd like seeing it done similar to what was done with with the Animatrix - a collection of animated short films fleshing out the background story of essential Fallout events. A couple of examples could be a recounting of the events leading to the war in a coherent account, the story of the founder of the Brotherhood of Steel, a tale of the Brotherhood of Steel migration from the West-coast to the East-coast (maybe the tale of the Scourge(?), where the then young Elder Lyons saved the children of a Wasteland village, adopting them into the Brotherhood), the tale of the first Vault Dweller, life in the Enclave... basically tales that'd flesh out the universe rather than a whole new story.

That's just my opinion though, as I'm pretty reserved about movies based on computergames - I don't think I've seen a single one actually capturing the essence of the game they were based upon, so [censored] the Fallout IP due to greed would be complete sacrilige in my eyes. :D
Rich O'Brien

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:45 pm

madmax 2-3 could be a fallout movie

andthere id actuaaly a movie that is called fallout and it was really cheap
lacy lake

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 4:54 pm

Of course it would be bandwagoning on a major scale, but I personally think it could be a good idea. But instead of it being after the war, make it about the events leading up to the war. Like the US annexing Canada, and the creation of the FEV virus/the new plague. The movie could then end when the bombs start dropping, with an outro by Ron Perlman. It would still leave the mystery of who started the nukes, but it would explain things in a more intense way. (As opposed the the Fallout bible.)

What do you think?

i hope a movie does come out. they should do animated or cgi first cause when its live action red tape gets in the way. like halo3 or the hobbit. look how quick they made 300 and it was an asowme movie.
Emilie Joseph

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:52 am

fallout has ghouls in it.but please dont make a cheesy resident evil with zombie(just for information i like george romeros movies but i didnt like the way it has shot)
Lexy Dick

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:17 pm

madmax 2-3 could be a fallout movie

andthere id actuaaly a movie that is called fallout and it was really cheap

Mad Max actually references that there was a nuclear war, too. And Mad Max definitely influenced Fallout (hell, just look at raiders).

A Fallout movie would be cool, but very easy to mess up.
vanuza

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:29 pm

wasnt the nuclear war like 2 hours long? i am very sure that ive heard "2 hours" somewhere in Fallout.

but im more interested in a Mad Max III then a Fallout movie.
Emzy Baby!

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:25 pm

Movies based on videogames always turn into crap. Even when they are based on a "kind of a movie" game, just look at what they did with Max Payne.
Tracey Duncan

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:45 pm

Sounds like a far better premise for a film than many that have been used. I'd watch it.
His Bella

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:48 pm

wasnt the nuclear war like 2 hours long? i am very sure that ive heard "2 hours" somewhere in Fallout.

Arrgh. How many times do I have to say? I never said it should just be about the war, but also the events leading up to the war. Besides which, the war was 10 years.
The nuclear exchange lasted 10 minutes.

Hell, I was just giving an idea. If the movie was made, I wouldn't have a damn part in it.
Emma Pennington

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:31 am

I think it would. It's quite unique, and has alot of lore.
Louise Lowe

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:35 pm

it would not because the basis of fallout is that its your choice and how would that make sense in a movie
Stay-C

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:17 am

I think another fallout game would be a good idea. Don't waste time or money on a movie.
Dan Stevens

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:17 am

I think this is just as good of an idea as the Fallout MMO is.

:shrug:
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:33 pm

Anyone seen A boy and his Dog? That IS pretty much Fallout in movie form. It is insane and I love it. Alos, at Luzur... There is a Mad Max III hah. It's called Beyond Thunderdome.:P How could anyone forget Tina Turner in that?
Mari martnez Martinez

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:24 pm

It would be interesting to see how they could intertwine the sub plots in with the MQ.
Sabrina Schwarz

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:48 am

Hmm... you think they could fit the amount of lore from Fallout into a movie without taking too much time?

I mean just glancing over it and getting the gist of it could be ok but than it might not be Fallout again, just another Post-Apocolyptic movie.
Ricky Rayner

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:05 pm

I think the only time a fallout movie would be a bad idea, is if Uwe Boll was directing.
Kevin S

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I think the best idea for a Fallout movie is the lead up to the bombs dropping. Any other concept would be a short lived failure. If anyone wants a good post-apocalyptic movie get The Postman.
Ian White

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:11 pm

Here you go, the complete script of a Hollywood fallout movie:

• Mostly shot in empty desert and junkyards
  • Filmed in the new hand-held camera style for a first-person-shooter feel
  • Main hero as the good-looking silent everyman
  • Mohoawk injun punks with tomahawks around a fire barrel
  • Car chase scene where punks climb from one speeding wreck onto the hero's car (and they will have cars, just for this scene)
  • Several 'suspenseful' minutes looking at dark caves/abandoned factories barely lit by flashlights.
  • Zombie hordes
  • Some guys in Space Marine armor show up
  • Robbie the Robot makes a special appearance to get that authentic Fallout look
  • Blow up the evil super computer for a grand finale
  • Love interest that fails, hero wanders off alone

Seriously, I couldn't stomach another one of those.
Britta Gronkowski

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion