Would you welcome the inclusion of settlement building...

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:07 pm

That\s what I was getting at. I've tried the mod where you create an outpost. It was nice to build where and as you want it, but it did have some clipping issues. It did allow for "tilting" your buildings a little, but there are some places where no amount of fiddling will make it fit :)

It would be difficult, but it is possible :)

Crystal Clarke

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:18 am

My biggest problem with the settlements being in the next TES is, going by what we've seen with Fallout 4, the likelihood that expansions and DLC will be gutted. If you look at FO4 DLC, we've gotten one (Far Harbor) that can be considered a proper expansion, in that new lands, creatures, quests and such are added to the game. Of course, Nuka World has yet to be relased, but based on what I've seen so far, I'm definitely underwhelmed.

Everything else has been little workshop and settlement building packs that seem to do nothing more than unlock content that was already in the vanilla game files, and aimed pretty much exclusively at console players, as PC players already have access to mods that add the same kind of new assets and features to settlements.

I don't want to see the next TES give us Hearthfire spread out over four or five "expansions", and us having to give up another Shivering Isles or Dawnguard in return.
Marcia Renton

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:38 am

That's not exactly accurate. The Automatron DLC offered a questline and radiant content about on par with Knights of the Nine. Which makes the DLC so far 2 significant expansions (Far Harbour and Nuka World) a minor expansion (Automatron) and 3 Workshops. That's more than we've had since Morrowind, which consisted of 2 significant expansions (Tribunal and Bloodmoon) and 2 Quests (Fort Frostmoth and the Helm of Trohan) and 2 shops (enchanted arrows and Feminine armour). Total content wise, i'd probably say Fallout 3 was the peak, with 5 rather significant DLCs, even if 3 of them ended up being quite lacklustre.

But anyway, there's nothing particularly lacking about Fallout 4's DLC model, when compared to past games.

yermom

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:17 pm

What have we seen? A New Vegas style intro cinematic with no actual gameplay? According to the description, it's supposed to be a whole region to explore, not just the theme park.
Sudah mati ini Keparat

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:08 am

As if the workshop add-ons for Fallout "gutted" the DLC. It's not like Bethesda would have given us six full-sized story expansions if they decided not to do minor $5 add-ons instead. If Nuka World matches the content of the $20 DLCs we got for Skyrim, then Fallout 4's already beat any Elder Scrolls for DLC content. And I feel like people are forgetting how small Fallout 3's five $10 DLCs are - I thought it was generally agreed that people preferred fewer and larger story expansions compared to more short ones?

Donatus Uwasomba

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:14 am

yes. i want to build my own army. i want my own faction. i want to build my own settlement, and yea it should up to me if i wanna ally with an existing faction or beat the crap out of them.

if i can control dragons, what's stopping me from going targaryen on their arses?

Gavin boyce

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:17 am

Not me.

For every single newly developed video game by Bethesda Game Studios that gets released for sale I always wanted at least three expansion packs sold the size of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's expansion pack Shivering Isles, ever since Bethesda Game Studios released The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion expansion pack Shivering Isles for sale.

Miranda Taylor

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:30 pm

Yes! Markhath thank you!
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:09 pm

Well duh, we'd all prefer More, Larger expansions. But that wasn't the question. The question was, to the effect:

"Would you rather fewer large expansions, or more small ones?"

I think most of us would give the same answer. We would rather 2 Shivering Isles sized expansions than 4 Project Anchorage sized ones.

What we ideally want isn't part of the question.

Overall, Fallout 4 is set to release more extra content than any previous Bethesda title. The Workshops contain significant amounts of new models and options, in excess of any aesthetic of residence DLC beforehand, and both the major Expansions are approximately Shivering Isles sized, something people have wanted for years.
Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:43 pm

I would prefer a system where you initially have a small estate similar in size to one of the Hearthfire homes, then you would have refugees come into the area and ask you if they could build, if you say yes a settlement would slowly build, shaped by your choices, such as whether to focus on trade, mining, or warfare. This would be a fairly simple system giving Bethesda more time to create an amazing world for us to spend hundreds of hours in :)

Scared humanity

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:15 pm

Okay so I fired up fallout 4 again and downloaded the dlcs because I'm interested in the settlements workshop. But I know the terrible problems I had with this game in regards to junk and Carryweight, every time I left for missions I would never be able to fast travel back since I was always over the limit. So naturally I went looking for mods to help this I found a bunch and some cheats to increase Carryweight and receive all crafting junk for settlements. So now what I have is saved game which is loaded with unrealistic features so I can freely explore with building settlements. When I stopped playing last night I reflected a little bit and thought to myself I downloaded five times as many mods for skyrim but it never felt like I compromised the game it felt like a new and more exciting game. For me that's what mods should be about and is so great that Bethesda has made possible for us. But because of my interest in experimenting with settlements I felt that instead of looking for mods to improve the game I was looking for mods to cheat or exploit the game to make settlement building easier because it was really so hard to collect so much junk to build big houses.

From videos I've been watching on fallout settlements it seems like cheats and exploits like this are the norm for the game-this is why bringing settlements to tes vi could be a negative thing we will loose immersion and realism which in time will make the game less and less fun and exciting to play
Kay O'Hara

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:20 pm

You know there's a perk that lets you fast travel while encumbered, right? This seems like the worst reason possible not to include a feature.

Emma Parkinson

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:15 pm

I've never had a problem. The Strongback perk mentioned above is a massive help, Lone Wanderer adds to your carryweight, or a companion can help out. If you absolutely can't leave that pile of tin cans behind (I never can, i'm an obsessive hoarder) make multiple trips to carry the stuff back.

If you're playing survival with no fast travel things do get harder but as you get more settlements around the map you won't have as far to travel before you can dump your junk.

Not every settlement has to be a thriving metropolis, I usually only develop the better sites using the others as personal bases or just for raw material production. It doesn't require much in time or materials to set up a basic farm settlement.

Sarah Knight

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:53 am

Yes I had strong back which increases carry weight but unless I cheat and give myself a bunch of perks and levels I won't be able to access that perk since my level isn't high enough for that.

The point I was trying to make is building settlements can compromise the game if it isn't incorporated correctly. Settlements are a game alone in themselves as we can see them releasing these dlcs mainly related to settlement improvements and not story driven or quest related. How many others are downloading mods which allow you to cheat or put on god mode to focus on settlements? That wasn't the reason for modding in the previous games and it didn't seem like it was the focus.
Laura Simmonds

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:07 pm

There are plenty of things that make people inclined to cheat. Just having easy access to the Console Commands is enough for many. That's just a fact of gaming.

There are plenty of ways around the carry weight restrictions in Fallout. Pocketed Armour, Companions, Strong Back, dragging corpses (one of my favorite shipping techniques). They also have the ability to alleviate the strain of moving things around by setting up caravan routes between settlements, creating a collective pool of materials. And by the late game, you just make so Manny caps you can just buy all the materials you need.

It's only really an issue if you're trying to build up a fully developed settlement, early on, with little planning. But thats not how the system is designed. It's supposed to be more gradual than that. Of course, you CAN do it in a rushed, all-at-once way, but that's less rewarding than doing it as intended (like most of Skyrims factions, actually).

All of that said, resources wouldn't be able to really work the same way in Skyrim, because of its more structured buildings and lack of salvage-driven economy. Having supply lines set up to quarries, lumber mills, mines etc would be a better approach, I think.
Valerie Marie

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:13 pm

It's not really "cheating" since it's a single player game.
Jade

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:44 pm

I agree with setting up supply lines, I also think that we should be able to identify areas which would be better for mining, quarries, and lumber and establish the mill, mine, and quarry. But this is what I was saying in order for settlement to work well they supporting aspect of the game need to be included.

James Shaw

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:59 pm

I voted Yes. It should not be a copy and paste from FO4 but it should fit in with the game.

Fallout 4 did not focus on the settlement building in the DLC's The amount of DLC's is about half and half on the Story and Workshop. Some Automatron and Far Harbour did add some features for the settlement building but they fit in with the DLC.

Sophie Miller

Previous

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion