Would you welcome the inclusion of settlement building...

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:42 pm

Would you welcome the inclusion of settlement building in the TES 6?

NeverStopThe

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:35 pm

Voted only if it played a smaller role than in F4 and for equal numbers of DLC focused on story driven stuff and workshops, since there wasn't a don't care option on the DLC part. They went a little overboard with it in F4, but I liked it overall. If they can just tone it down a bit for TES6 then I'd be very happy with it. They also need to tweak it to make sense in TES's universe.
butterfly

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:35 am

I haven't played Fallout 4, but from what I've read and seen in videos I love the feature. I would welcome it in TES VI. I support any feature that gives us something to do in addition to combat.

Heather Stewart

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:49 pm

Just like Pseron Wyrd I also have still not purchased Fallout 4 to this day today still so I have no idea how settlement building works in Fallout 4.

I think I'd be ok with it in The Elder Scrolls VI for building forts and that's it. Maybe one castle or two castles as well.

Valerie Marie

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:02 pm

I didn't like settlement building in Fallout 4 because I think settlements correspond with people/villages/towns, the Fallout setting is about a wasteland and about the player wandering. For TES 6 it will be a much better setting for settlement building. It should be released with the game not as a DLC.

Robert Garcia

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:39 am

I agree. I felt I could not vote, as like you, have not played FO4. Settlement building is fun, especially in 4X games where it is key. I'm not sure how well it could be implemented into the TES universe, though.

I like the idea. I'm not too sure how it would fit. I'm undecided :)

J.P loves

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:22 am

I feel the opposite. I think it fit better with Fallout, because there has always been an undercurrent of rebuilding and reconstruction in the games. Homesteading, building up settlements and reestablishing civilization out of the ruins of the past is very much in keeping with Fallout, you just take a more direct role with Fallout 4s settlement system.

TES, on the other hand, is more settled already. Building up entire communities isn't something that happens often.

Anyway... I for one would love it, but in a more structured manner, with fewer location options, and a better management focus.
Nicole Kraus

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 am

I get no joy out of setting up homes and defenses and crops and a thousand other things for NPCs who can't do [censored] for themselves and don't show the slightest gratitude. Build your own [censored] settlements, I say, you lazy [censored]s!

Edit - So, that would be a no from me. I find the feature useless in an RPG, and I'd rather they spend time doing other things, like coding competent AI pathing. :P

Jonathan Braz

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:19 pm

Another non-voter here, because I haven't played FO4, but I'm very much in favor of settlement-building. There's a limited form of it in Morrowind and Skyrim, and it really adds to the game.

It's a shame that there's so little focus on anything non-combat in these games; we need more quests that can be solved multiple ways, more player interaction with the world, and more ability to make lasting change.

Charleigh Anderson

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:29 pm

Sure why wouldnt I want to create my own estate.....(which is what i figure is what they'll do like skyrim but with bigger land or more locations.. if they decide to add such a feature again) I didnt mind all the workshop dlc though I wish they would have lumped them all into one big package. I hope in the next big tes dlc we get a cool shivering isles dlc if they add something on that level of badassery then they can release all the "horse armor" dlc they want
casey macmillan

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:36 pm

You are right actually now that I rethink it, being in a wasteland would make sense to rebuild communities, so yes TES 6 should already have built villages and communities, so picking a random spot in the mountains or hills would be a bit awkward. Good point!

The estate thing could be promising, so maybe not full settlement creation but definitely home-building or estate building. I liked one of the last DLCs for Skyrim where you could create your own player housing and I think obviously with modding that should definitely be a necessity with TES 6

Jade Muggeridge

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:50 am

As for DLC goes, I wish they would've included any workshop improvements/additions in free updates
Neliel Kudoh

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:11 pm

This is how I feel too. I voted "Yes."

Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:44 pm

That's not to say settlement and resettlement doesn't happen in TES. We've seen colonial resource exploitation with Raven Rock in Bloodmoon, and half of Hammerfell is currently in ruins... Which is why I still think there's some potential for full scale settlement, just with fewer potential sites.

Similarly, I think there are elements of Fallout 4s settlements which could find a good home in Guilds, particularly after gaining leadership, allowing you to redecorate, reopen closed chapters, or even construct a faction stronghold of some kind.

There's a lot that can be done with the notion, while maintaining the overall feel and structure of TES' world..
Ashley Tamen

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:13 am

Indeed. The system has great potential if utilized correctly.
Dalia

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:12 pm

I'm going to 100% agree with you that the house building DLC's or settlement building DLC's for The Elder Scrolls VI that Bethesda Game Studios needs to release them for free.

It's very upsetting that Bethesda Softworks and Bethesda Game Studios sold Hearthfire for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and now Wasteland Workshop, Automatron, and the other three settlement building DLC's for Fallout 4.

Bethesda Game Studios needs to give us value for purchasing The Elder Scrolls VI and follow in CD Projekt RED's footsteps.

Emily Martell

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 pm

You mean by giving generally bland single missions and costume changes as their loudly touted 'Free' DLC? I'm not entirely happy about the price of the Workshop DLC's, but there's not many footsteps to follow in.

krystal sowten

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:12 pm

Yes. But a far more restrained version of it. The problem with the Settlement system is that it really devoured Fallout 4 in its entirety, up to clogging all the DLC, while not really providing anything really substantial. Homesteads ala Hearthfires, and a couple of token forts, sure, but that's the full extent of what I'd feel comfortable with.

They're not really that bad, but screaming "give me free stuff" isn't what I'd call value either. Its really cool that they did it, but its stuff that you could easily live without at the same time. Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine on the other hand actually are closer to Beth's DLC's more then anything.

Hayley Bristow

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:09 pm

Yeah, i was rather harsh on them before. The content which CD Projekt Red released, for free, is quite good, and a trend which i think the gaming industry in general should take more to heart... But none of it was really on the same scale as even the Workshop DLC's.

Were the Workshop DLCs expanded cosmetic options, tacking them on as free content in game updates would certainly be reasonable. As is, they tend to be rather more involved than that, so i don't think charging for them is overly problematic.

It's not like we're dealing with Horse Armour here.

Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:38 am

Yes I totally agree with what you're saying!

But I just hope it is released with the game and it's something we can enjoy from the beginning or as we become leader of a guild. Not become leader then months later come back when it's a dlc and build a settlement. I am hoping that any dlcs will be new story and content to go along with the new story. The dlc should be true dlcs not existing pieces of the game that they cut up and feed us down the road.
katie TWAVA

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:35 pm

Agreed. The only way i could see them being able to really justify that would be to have Faction-Centric DLCs, such as having an entire DLC focused around the Fighters Guild... But that would run the risk of making the core game feel very empty and cut back, as it would likely mean having the guild either entirely absent, or dramatically toned down, in the initial release.

I think there are some ways to incorporate broadening the settlement idea through DLCs, such as releasing Stros M'kai as a DLC and having rebuilding the city as a prominent element, but it should definitely feature in the main game.

By feature, however, i don't mean dominate. Part of the weakness of the system in Fallout is the games over-dependence on it. While i for one love it, and have spent more 150 hours on settlement activities alone, it's too much of a One-Trick-Pony. I can see why some people were rather cool to the game because of it's over-emphasis on the settlements.

Eileen Müller

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:51 pm

Absolutely, and the negative reaction to Fallout 4's workshop add-ons is way out of proportion.

It would need to be adjusted to work in the Elder Scrolls setting, but I see no problem with that. Every in-city home could be like Home Plate, where we furnish it ourselves instead of buying preset furniture options. Crafting will need to be different from Fallout's scrapping and MacGuyvering, but it would be cool if we could purchase furniture from general stores, or even just toggle between component costs and gold costs for crafting stuff in the build mode.

For more normal "settlements", I think since Elder Scrolls isn't really about rebuilding and there's already plenty of government and infrastructure, we could see more elaborate homesteading and establishing businesses instead of building up small communities. Purchase plots of land instead of clearing them out, hire workers instead of bringing on settlers, so on. There won't be as many options for mechanical things, but we'll have a ton more options for magical items and some really bizarre fantasy decorations. It would be great.

Maybe we get a few areas as quest rewards, maybe we'll get to rebuild the city that inevitably gets destroyed early in the main quest, maybe we'll get our own fortress. There's so much roleplaying you can do with workshop mode.

Jordan Moreno

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:50 pm

yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

Jade MacSpade

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:51 pm

I would welcome if they implemented most or even all features of the Creation Kit directly into the game, with real time editing of the whole world. Not so much as "gameplay" but rather from the main menu. The Creation Kit doesn't even have real time play testing like Cry Engine does. That would be useful. Moving around whole buildings in the actual game is not at all immersive, feels more like a video game or something like that...

scorpion972

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 6:03 pm

Some provision for building a settlement would be a big plus for those who want the option to have a place to call "home", but I don't think the game should focus heavily on it. Putting it out as DLC, in my opinion, is a bad thing. If I pay for the game, I don't want to have to keep paying over and over for "extras" as they're released.

Note that Morrowind's base game had the option to build and expand a private estate (or stronghold). The Bloodmoon expansion allowed you to assist with and make a few decisions about the founding and expansion of a new settlement. I'd like to see at least that much interaction, but I don't need to manage the design and development of an estate or village down to the last detail.

....or we could build it up, brick by brick, like in Minecraft, until the wonky physics engine decides to send all of those pieces flying in different directions.

Jessica White

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion