do you think that skyrim will be to scale with this map?

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:55 am

if its smaller and with even more stuff, it will get even more ridiculous.

"Hey, check out those hundreds of ruins only a few feet from the capital, that no one has ever explored."

"Behold Pale Pass, where a large battle of 25 people each side took place. Yes, only 50 people in total, since you cant fit more people in this narrow valley"

When Kvath is less than a kilometer away from the Imperial City, everybody in the Imperial City could see Kvatch being attacked than being burned down. And nobody sent reinforcements. How realistic.

Really, how comes that this doesnt detract from you guys immersion factor? Its totally UNepic imho.

In game, you couldn't see Kvatch from any other city (maybe Anvil).
But think about the engines at the time, the scales had to be smaller, remember, Oblivion was developed 2003-04-05, and the engine would of been weaker. Just Cause 2 would of been 2007-08-09 (I presume), so the engine would of been far better than Oblivions.
Samantha Pattison

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:02 am

In game, you couldn't see Kvatch from any other city (maybe Anvil).
But think about the engines at the time, the scales had to be smaller, remember, Oblivion was developed 2003-04-05, and the engine would of been weaker. Just Cause 2 would of been 2007-08-09 (I presume), so the engine would of been far better than Oblivions.

You are forgetting that the Just Cause 2 world space is mostly a big empty. It lacks the detail that Oblivion and Morrowind had and I would prefer to take the detail over a "big empty."

To add to this, player perspective has a huge role to do with map scale. Oblivion's player perspective was quite large when compared to Morrowind. New Vegas had problems with this as well. The player perspective and object size was incredibly huge, much larger than Oblivion. this created a seemingly smaller world (and made treking around terrible).

-RDST
john palmer

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:00 am

I hope they make the map bigger but it doesn't matter to me what they do with Scale when compared to the map.
Bambi

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:18 pm

Skyrim's map will be bigger I bet.
Setal Vara

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:24 am

Vvardenfell is smaller than Cyrodiil. You just have a greatly reduced view in Morrowind. (because of omni-fog and lots of natural terrain barriers)

Oblivion was bigger in total landmass, but Morrowind was built more to scale. Morrowind is about half the size of Oblivion in game, but Vvardenfell is about 1/4 the size of Cyrodiil on a map.
Siidney

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

id like it to be 2-3x the size of cyrodil in OB :)
Jesus Lopez

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:54 am

To add to this, player perspective has a huge role to do with map scale. Oblivion's player perspective was quite large when compared to Morrowind. New Vegas had problems with this as well. The player perspective and object size was incredibly huge, much larger than Oblivion. this created a seemingly smaller world (and made treking around terrible).

-RDST

This. You have to understand that scale, and distance, are very relative, subjective things in a VR world. For example, if you measure distance by player travel speed ("days of travel"), then Oblivion's map size drastically varies with timescale mods installed. In real time, the map is very small when you can walk from town to town in 15 minutes. When it takes a few day-night-cycles, it becomes subjectively larger.

Level of detail also influences the perception of scale. If everything is crammed full of detail, it feels smaller, while huge empty spaces feel large. So a balance has to be found, and statements like "Oblivion was 8x8 miles" are largely meaningless.

I want Skyrim to feel huge, and for that a number of balances need to be gotten just right: mountain heights and slope gradients, player FOV, player speed, fast travel system...
Neliel Kudoh

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:17 am

boarders may change, makes sense seeing the disruption caused due to the oblivion crisis. this might mean skyrim is bigger.
Kristian Perez

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim