do you think that skyrim will be to scale with this map?

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:51 am

http://daggerxl.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dxl_charcreate1.png?w=510&h=382
[img]http://daggerxl.files.wordpress.com/2010/06/dxl_charcreate1.png?w=510&h=382[/img]

i personally would like bigger than oblivion.

maybe they add areas other then skyrim?
Aman Bhattal

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:38 am

It will probably be scale to the [newer] Oblivion World Map. It would make more sense since Oblivion was the most recent TES game.
x a million...

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:39 am

Each game has had a very different scale. The area surrounding the Iliac bay was about the size of England, for instance, while Cyrodiil was only a few (8?) square miles.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:18 am

I doubt it. I expect that the game area of Skyrim is going to be bigger than Oblivion's even though Cyrodiil looks bigger than Skyrim on a map...
Dark Mogul

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

Each game has had a very different scale. The area surrounding the Iliac bay was about the size of England, for instance, while Cyrodiil was only a few (8?) square miles.

16 Square miles. a ~4x4 mile map.
Heather Stewart

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:16 am

I don't understand why so many people don't get scale. Morrowind and Oblivion were tiny, TINY specks compared to the actual size of the areas represented. The game could be hundreds of times larger than Oblivion and easily stay inside Skyrim.
Hot

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:11 am

I doubt it. I expect that the game area of Skyrim is going to be bigger than Oblivion's even though Cyrodiil looks bigger than Skyrim on a map...

I bet it will be the same size or a little bigger then Cyrodiil in Oblivion. I don't care as long as they make the world feel huge like in Morrowind.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:21 am

It's smaller than Cydoriil, so Skyrim will probably look less micro-sized than Tes III's Cydoriil.

Also, there should be more relief than in Cydoriil, so it should make it look bigger. (kinda like how Vivardenfell looked way bigger than Cydoriil while it was slightly smaller in-game IIRC)
Barbequtie

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:16 pm

Hopefully it'll be no bigger than Cyrodiil, perhaps a tad smaller. And I would hope they add more content to fill the land. More ruins, more caves, more settlements, more secrets to find. I hate to compare Skyrim to an older game, but for this aspect of the game I hope to compare it more to Morrowind than Oblivion. I want more rewarding adventuring and plundering than anything.
STEVI INQUE

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:43 am

I'd like skyrim to be about as big as Washington D.C, so about 68.3 square miles.
Stephanie Nieves

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am

Doubtful. Scale encompasses a size roughly the size of an actual country.

Only Daggerfall came close, and most of it was completely randomly generated.
Princess Johnson

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:33 am

I would definitely like to see it more like morrowind than cyrodil, cyrodil just seemed so small.
Katie Samuel

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:32 am

I would definitely like to see it more like morrowind than cyrodil, cyrodil just seemed so small.

Vvardenfell is smaller than Cyrodiil. You just have a greatly reduced view in Morrowind. (because of omni-fog and lots of natural terrain barriers)
adam holden

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:59 am

Vvardenfell is smaller than Cyrodiil. You just have a greatly reduced view in Morrowind. (because of omni-fog and lots of natural terrain barriers)

The lack of fast travel also had a big part in Vvardenfell's size. Vvardenfell was roughly 6 square miles. Oblivion is 16 square miles. I wouldn't be surprised to see Skyrim being 24 square miles, though I doubt it will be scaled to Oblivion's Tamriel (That would equal out to something like 8 square miles).

I guess it depends on how good the new engine is at generating terrain, and how fast they populate it.
Nick Swan

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:23 am

The lack of fast travel also had a big part in Vvardenfell's size. Vvardenfell was roughly 6 square miles.

I think it had more to do with the fact that in order to traverse Vvardenfell, you basically had to travel along coastal areas, as red Mountain was an impenetrable barrier for to all non-levitators until the MQ was completed, and even then, it was impossible to go over the side of a foyoda without levitation. The middle of Cyrodiil is one of the easiest terrains to traverse by contrast.
Damien Mulvenna

Post » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:52 pm

I think it had more to do with the fact that in order to traverse Vvardenfell, you basically had to travel along coastal areas, as red Mountain was an impenetrable barrier for to all non-levitators until the MQ was completed, and even then, it was impossible to go over the side of a foyoda without levitation. The middle of Cyrodiil is one of the easiest terrains to traverse by contrast.

I think that helped a lot as well, the player character's speed was also greatly reduced from Oblivion's. The way the Morrowind world was set up, each quest to another town was a trek. It was more mental than physical, which is a good example of how the developers could create a seemingly vast world, without the need for a huge actual map.
LijLuva

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 am

That is if we assume that the map of Tamriel is the same as we last saw it, the last time we heard of the nords in Oblivion they were trying to take full control over Solstheim, if they succeded they may have attacked Morrowind from the north when Vvardenfell was destroyed as the Argonians did from the south, this changing the whole geopolitical view of Tamriel.

So the map of Skyrim might be bigger and varied than expected...

If is my choice I will rather have more detail instead of big environments
Mimi BC

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:23 am

Well, I think it will be bigger than Cyrodiil, so then it would not be in scale as Cyrodiil appears larger on the map.
Auguste Bartholdi

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:02 am

Cyrodiil was 16 square miles...but don't forget adding on all the area of the Oblivion realms, Shivering Isles area, and Iliana's Elswyr = GAME NEVER ENDS
Unstoppable Judge

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:41 pm

Very extremely doubtful. I expect Skyrim to be larger than how Cyrodiil was portrayed in Oblivion, but not a substantial size.

Maybe something around... 30 square miles?

One thing's for certain, with the lack of super fast transportation (excluding fast travel and mage's guild teleportation), it won't be a Just Cause 2 in world size.
Richard

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:29 am

Flaming and responses to it have been removed.
ashleigh bryden

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:35 pm

Hopefully it'll be no bigger than Cyrodiil, perhaps a tad smaller. And I would hope they add more content to fill the land. More ruins, more caves, more settlements, more secrets to find. I hate to compare Skyrim to an older game, but for this aspect of the game I hope to compare it more to Morrowind than Oblivion. I want more rewarding adventuring and plundering than anything.

if its smaller and with even more stuff, it will get even more ridiculous.

"Hey, check out those hundreds of ruins only a few feet from the capital, that no one has ever explored."

"Behold Pale Pass, where a large battle of 25 people each side took place. Yes, only 50 people in total, since you cant fit more people in this narrow valley"

When Kvath is less than a kilometer away from the Imperial City, everybody in the Imperial City could see Kvatch being attacked than being burned down. And nobody sent reinforcements. How realistic.

Really, how comes that this doesnt detract from you guys immersion factor? Its totally UNepic imho.

Imho, it should be at least the size of Need for Speed Hot Pursuit′s map. Its a good size. Not HUGE like Daggerfall, but big enough that different ruins wont be 20 meters from each other, or cities so close that if they were REAL SIZED they would touch each other.
HARDHEAD

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:27 am

I was stunned by Just Cause 2 map size. I really hope they can make something as big as that.

But I don't think we see anything like Daggerfall's map though.
Dewayne Quattlebaum

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:56 am

as Lady Nerevar said...in the past every TES game came with a different scale and so it will be this time....if and this is something we do not know yet, TES 5 will take place in the province of Skyrim only, beth will have to use a larger scale for it....the TES4 scale is much to small to use it for the other provinces....using the TES 4 scale for Skyrim would mean you could run from the Valus mountains to the northern coast in about 5-10 minutes and from Hammerfell to Morrowind in maybe a bit more....this is exactly what I do not want to see again...just imagine how packed Cyrodiil was with locations even without mods....I really hope for a proper scale this time...
Michelle Smith

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:09 pm

I reckon they'll go for bigger than Oblivion basically because most audiences will expect bigger and better, just like they do with graphics and action.

I don't know if there will be anything like the Oblivion realms in the new game, but if you put Oblivions landmass with the Oblivion realms, it made for a very large game all together.

I'd prefer it if they just make the landmass much larger and don't bother with any other 'realms' etc.
Sarah Edmunds

Next

Return to V - Skyrim