Do you want the game to have a more slow, RPG style or more

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:37 pm

This is generally the problem with Elder Scrolls games and Oblivion in particular, the entire land is plunged into chaos but you can go about your business without a care in the world which rather kills the sense of urgency the emergence of the Oblivion gates was supposed to create.
As for the game being slow or fast paced, I say there should be a mix, you can do whatever you like, sit and stare at the sky while indulging in some well deserved rhinotillexomania, but as soon as you accept a quest you're committed, meaning there should be some kind of time limit to quests. Normally time limits are a gameplay device I hate but they had some in Mass Effect 2 that worked really well. They don't have to make the time limits impossible to get either, just implement them so that once you accept a quest you can't afford to sit on your rear for another two weeks before deciding to pick them up.
That being said, some quests don't need urgency but honestly, if you have to save someone from a cave full of trolls, it doesn't make any sense to hang around for a couple of days before heading off.

perhaps but this may go against the idea of TES which is primarily 'play the gmae the way you want'. if there is some sort of hardcoe mode perhaps this could be a part of it? while i don't tend to sit on quests i would also dislike being forced to complete them.
Justin

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:03 pm

A good balanced mix is the best. I enjoyed taking things slow in the cities conducting business and meeting locals. Then when i am ready for the action and looting, i would jump out in the wild and dungeon raid.
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 6:13 am

perhaps but this may go against the idea of TES which is primarily 'play the gmae the way you want'. if there is some sort of hardcoe mode perhaps this could be a part of it? while i don't tend to sit on quests i would also dislike being forced to complete them.

I suppose something like that could be included in a hardcoe mode, if they choose to include a hardcoe mode. I think it could create interesting gameplay dilemmas like the choice of whether to actually save a kidnapped peasant girl or veering off course if you should happen upon an interesting cave or ruin along the way. Also, I do love the freedom but sometimes a sense of urgency to get something done can work far more effectively to immerse a player.
Besides, saying it's Elder Scrolls doesn't mean a whole lot as the series have changed so incredibly throughout the various iterations that it would be almost impossible to recognize Oblivion and Arena as games from the same series. Sure, the freedom still holds up but I don't think setting time limitations on some quests in any way hampers your freedom. It's still your choice on whether or not you actually perform the quest. The only problem of course remains with the Main Quest as a lot of people would feel annoyed at getting pushed along in that. There are plenty of side quests that could do with time limits without breaking the game or limiting the freedom we've come to expect from the Elder Scrolls.
x a million...

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:56 am

A mix between Morrowind and Oblivion I guess.
WTW

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:01 pm

If there is gonna be morale choices I hope they don't make them black and white like in Fallout 3.
Kat Stewart

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 am

Morrowind/Daggerfall

Thats what we want :)
michael flanigan

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:12 am

Uh, I never figured out how to really play Oblivion.

I kept hitting the buttons in hope it will do something good.

Sometimes I killed a mob in threee hits and didnt get hit at all.

Sometimes the same mob took ages and I almost got killed myself.

So yeah, I'd rather have a system where I understand whats going on.
stephanie eastwood

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:54 am

To understand Oblivion combat you really need to have a good idea about how magic works and what mobs have what kinda immunity and protection. The more damaged your weapon gets the crummier damage it will do as well.
Reven Lord

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:54 am

... You mean Morrowind?
Chloe Lou

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:19 am

If RPG style is "slow", then give me snail pace. TES games are NOT just about moving on through the next dungeon, hacking away at enemies and collecting loot. TES games are about character development, and that's something that has to be done in detail and over time to be really appreciable.

I agree, but it really doesn't even have to be "slow".

Just have it like Morrowind, give me challenging, yet rewarding gameplay. I don't wanna be able to run through the game at a low level and kill everything I see. That's stupid.
Danger Mouse

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:39 am

a mix in my opinion 60% RPG style 40% Action
Milagros Osorio

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:01 pm

Morrowind/Daggerfall please.
Give us the good ol' real RPG.
Where your skills actually matters. Not YOUR skills but your CHARACTERS skills.

cause your IRL skills fail? What is the fun in playing a board game with zero action?? You are living in an old world!

rant/

This is the age of the console. The era of board-games published as video games has died (thank you, Sony and Microsoft. You made gaming popular (PS. [censored] nintendo)).

PS. The console is a far superiour gaming machine than the PC.

/rantend
Samantha Mitchell

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:16 am

To understand Oblivion combat you really need to have a good idea about how magic works and what mobs have what kinda immunity and protection. The more damaged your weapon gets the crummier damage it will do as well.

I didnt reported any problems with magic.

Besides, just get magic absorption 100 or magic resistance 100 or magic reflect 100 and magic is no issue any more. Just dont ever cast spells at other mobs, if they reflect, there is no defense against that one.

We will never ever agree on anything.
Queen Bitch

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:11 am

cause your IRL skills fail?

This is the age of the console. This is the end of board-games published as video games.

[img]http://woodsinthebear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/coolface.jpg[/img]
noa zarfati

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 pm

only reason I play TES4 on PC is due to mods - the graphics on the PC are actually worse than on my xbox360 (and yes, my PC is good enough to play Oblivion maxed at 1080p at decent FPS).
Guy Pearce

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:57 pm

I want a deep, slow-burning RPG experience. Obviously, a top-notch combat system would be great but I think it's unrealistic to expect Bethesda to make a combat system as deep as say, God Of War, when they need to create a vibrant world, an engaging story and graphics which will be able to compete with other big games at the time of the game's release. They're only human. So yes, I want more of the same. Oblivion on steroids. I'd be happy with that.
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:06 am

I agree, but it really doesn't even have to be "slow".

I think there needs to be a degree of restraint in the pace. Having the character max out after 10 hours of gameplay pretty much defeats the point. The growth should be noticeable, but it should be slow enough to span a whole play-through.

In Oblivion, growth was both fast and pointless. You could max out too fast ("people don't want to play with low-level characters!"), and the whole illusion of vulnerability was instantly shattered when you could exit the sewer and immediately clean out the first Ayleid ruin across the water.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:50 pm

I think there needs to be a degree of restraint in the pace. Having the character max out after 10 hours of gameplay pretty much defeats the point. The growth should be noticeable, but it should be slow enough to span a whole play-through.

In Oblivion, growth was both fast and pointless. You could max out too fast ("people don't want to play with low-level characters!"), and the whole illusion of vulnerability was instantly shattered when you could exit the sewer and immediately clean out the first Ayleid ruin across the water.

Definitely. I meant like REALLY slow when I said that, the pace they had going in Morrowind was ideal in my opinion.

Oh, and you're absolutely right about Oblivion's character growth.
Chris Guerin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:39 am

Slow paced like Morrowind. :)
Laura Elizabeth

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:41 am

I just don't want to be rushed through the main quest like Oblivion has it. Yeah you can ignore the main quest with Oblivion, but still ... the emperor ... the amulet ... you know.

I really like low fantasy and was really into Nehrim until the end of part one and it became about god slaying.

So I'd prefer slow start -- a chance to be in the world with options to pick up the pace, action, and thrills with choices made.
James Wilson

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:25 am

Id prefer a slower paced game where you actually have to make choices about character development and where the game is not just dependant on your skill but of that of your character as well.

Voted slower paced :)
kirsty joanne hines

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:19 am

have a consideration for those of us who have to fight for an hour or two a night to play games. Keep the movement speed up, no HP sponges, and in general, make it so that if you're time-crunched because you work an odd shift, you can drop into a game, get feel like you accomplished something, and not a small part of a sub-point of something.

That said, give us plenty of opportunities to dive into the game and just feel like we DON'T have anything pressing to do, and that we can just roam the shops, look for some menial tasks to do, and generally feel like we don't have to race around dungeon-diving. Give us quest-givers who we actually develop an attachment to, so that if we WANT to relax, and a courier hands us an "URGENT" letter from that NPC, we drop our plans an book it to help. Not because the game tells us we need to or the world dies, or we fail a quest... but because we react just like we would if it were a real friend.

I guess what I mean is "don't make the game itself slow. Just make it so that we can get things doen quick. If we want. And give us places to just hang out and goof off with the locals if we want.
RUby DIaz

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:33 am

"PC did 10 damage points to Rat"
"Rat died"

No, thanks, I liked the Oblivion way of combat.
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:34 am

Slower, more RPG style approach. As in not babyfeeding the player, no leading him by hand, no cuddling and appealing to the lowers common denominator by default and no needles stramlining.
Alister Scott

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:13 am

I'm worried that a mix between the two styles will mean both sides will get a mediocre experience, like the saying 'jack of all trades, master of none'. I think Bethesda should just choose the slow-paced, RPG-like and IMO more atmospheric Morrowind style than try doing both and creating a bastardised hybrid.
Joe Alvarado

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim