Do you want the game to have a more slow, RPG style or more

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 5:57 am

I hope its nothing like Daggerfall or Morrowind. Or Oblivion. I don't want to compare it to the previous games, I want it to be unique. So a mix, slow at times and action orientated at others.

EDIT: In the end, TES IS an Action-RPG and not Tactical or Strategy. I want to feel immersion and the robotic battle system of Morrowind didn't give me that feeling while Oblivions did a MUCH better job.
james reed

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:55 am

A compromise between both; it sounds unrealistic but you could have one side of the game having an intuitive interface and interaction system for easy access, as well as understandable but diverse skill/level systems - then you can have, under the surface, a deeper optional experience for those who want more and have more time to give. It would be difficult, I would imagine, but then it keeps both the casuals and the "hardcoes" happy.

For example, in Morrowind, after the brief tutorial, you can just slap on a few pieces of armour and a weapon then you go off slaying and exploring - or delve every crevice, read everything and take all the advice.
Jade Payton

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:16 am

thats not what i meant. i meant that it was more 'actiony' than morrowind but not as much as, say, mass effect 2

ME2 is really a FPS, not a RPG

Keep TES a Role Playing Game, NOT a shooter
zoe

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:29 am

By slow, you mean Morrowind-level crawling at a snail's pace and tediously rewalking the same paths over and over again to the point of me dreading the long process of returning to my home to put some loot away? No, I do not want that at all, and I do not consider that to be RPG style. I consider that to be boring. I honestly don't think I've had a more tedious gaming experience, and I've played many RPGs from Baldur's Gate to Dragon Quest.
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:23 pm

The idea that RPGs should have slow un-lifelike combat is really lame to me. It's an RPG, it's about BEING that character, you want to feel the intensity of the moment. The combat in Oblivion really stood out to me for that, and I think it would be a big mistake and a step backward for the genre if they went with something slower and more number-based. And to me, God of War combat would be terrible for an elder scrolls game. I want action and fast-paced combat, but not special moves like "whirlwind strike" or combos with numbers and colorful slash lines being drawn through the air. You want a visceral, immersive, intense combat system for a TES game.
Sophie Miller

Post » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 pm

The idea that RPGs should have slow un-lifelike combat is really lame to me. It's an RPG, it's about BEING that character, you want to feel the intensity of the moment. The combat in Oblivion really stood out to me for that, and I think it would be a big mistake and a step backward for the genre if they went with something slower and more number-based.

I'd say Arena and Daggerfall were at an equal pacing to Oblivion, while we're talking about the series. I just hated getting around in Morrowind and dungeon-crawling in Morrowind. There was too little to it. In Arena, Daggerfall, and Oblivion, however, getting around is quicker, finding an actual quest target is quicker, and fighting is quicker and more intense. I think Morrowind is the odd one in the series in regards to pacing.
Minako

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:07 am

A mix, I suppose. But not like Dragon Age...god, not like Dragon Age.
Iain Lamb

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 1:15 am

A mix, I suppose. But not like Dragon Age...god, not like Dragon Age.

So I am not the only one who simply does not "get" Dragon Age?

Sometimes I feel TES has filled my "gap", if you will, for RPGs. I find it very hard to appreciate other RPGs, particularly their lores.
Tania Bunic

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim