After FO4 releases I hope Bethesda let's Obsidian make one

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:13 am

Farming it out to a branch of EA? :/

I'd personally never want that to happen, they don't have members on board that have been with Fallout from the start. DICE would be able to implement great shooting mechanics, but everything magical about the series would be lost. There are aspects of Fallout that Cain and Sawyer can't be beaten on, and the beth Fallout title's have their own great quirks too. I would keep it between these two studios, and maybe inExile if Obsidian doesn't have the time.
TRIsha FEnnesse

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:52 am

Hehe... I was kidding. I did hear that Beth hired some DICE Bungie peeps to help improve the FPS game though.

Edit: Ooops... my memory svcks... it was BUNGIE peeps not Dice peeps that they hired to help with the First Person Shooter side of things.

I read it here -> http://www.gameinformer.com/games/fallout_4/b/playstation4/archive/2015/06/17/19-new-details-fans-need-to-know-about-fallout-4.aspx

Alessandra Botham

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:28 am

Avellone left obsidian.

It could be that bethesda and obsidian allready discussed a new game but obsidian didnt want to sign a contract that had the requirement of 85 metacritic score for a bonus

Avellone disagreed with his partners and wanted to sign, they got into a fight about it and he left.
Matt Bigelow

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:10 am

All of that is pure speculation, please don't pass it off as fact. That's how negative rumors start :0

On the other hand, Bethesda and Obsidian maintain that they have a good relationship and that they frequently communicate. Avellone left, but no one knows why. Obsidian still has great people though, so their capability of making a Fallout surpasses any competition. New Vegas was mostly the baby of JE Sawyer, and he's still there. My faith is strong :)
sally coker

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:51 pm

Yes, Because DC's geography is SO AMAZING -sarcasm turned off-, Obsidian had to work with nowhere but actual Las Vegas, which has been hit by several nuclear ICBMs on the outskirts, you should technically be surprised by seeing any life out there, left alone the outskirts. Then again, it's been 200 years ahead of the bombs, so yes, technically life does exist out there, just not the type you're expecting. Quite honestly, I haven't found any spot that seemed to be 'boring' honestly. There's quite a lot of interesting places to be in or encounter, like the Cave that has the Paladin Toaster inside. You actually have to go out of your way and explore out there in the waste to find it, so it's a nice nod to Unarmed players who want to get in and bash some robots in without dying quickly.

Overall I'd say they did a great job, better than FO3 honestly. Most of the fun you'd fine in 3 was just at DC, Raven Rock, or Old Olney. The rest of the places are forgettable, at best in terms of action, but I guess eyecandy is what stirs some people, no offense I hope, eye-candy is definitely a factor in games.

Also, have you been to Vegas? Outside of it, it's really not that interesting, just suburbs, the Hoover Dam, and...miles...upon miles...of dirty sand and dust. Lived there myself, couldn't stand it, cleaning my PC tower every other day -.-

Lucky Boy

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:27 am

i would argue with anyone claiming that NV was a better game than FO 3

NV was a great game but it certainly was not better than FO 3

yes it was the exactly same engine and yes the story with allits facctions was great and yes in a stroke of genius they included the most populair mods for FO 3 into their game but there it ended

Compared with FO 3 NV was empty with little or no exploration if you did every possible quest you would find every location on the map

while FO3 zxploreation was fun great and you could find many placed that where otherwise not quest related places like arlignto,n cemetry , the dunwich building atleast 2 oter vaults ,

just the pure atmosphere of a post apocalyptic washington DC , nothing in nv could rival that

so yes ubn my opinion NV was a great game but felt short compared with FO 3 awesomeness

i still play both games

Anna Beattie

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:49 am

That's bullcrap, IMO. There was hardly anything interesting to explore in the caves of FO3, save for the Raider where Jack the merchant is in or w/e. Seeing as FO3 had a terribly lower amount of weaponry and unique armor, and most of them are in either extremely dangerous regions, or out of places area, like the Town of Dave, or Old Olney, there wasn't really any initiative to explore. At least in Vegas, each cave had something awesome inside, either medium-high grade loot, a unique weapon, or an interesting story. I think the only 'caves' in 3 that had an interesting backstory was the Radio Stations that beeped. That was fun, but actual exploring? Not really.

Atmosphere? Really? I thought that green filter was nauseating. Both sides svcked in the atmosphere. One was green, the other was Orange.

Luis Longoria

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:37 pm

That simply isn't true though, New Vegas had plenty of locations not tied to quests that were interesting. The problem is that you're judging the game on the basis of exploration, so you won't really see eye to eye with many fans. The people that prefer Obsidian's work tend to value worldbuilding and that original sense of Fallout humor. New Vegas, imo, is superior from those crucial standpoints as well as from the standpoints of combat, diverse weaponry, great characters and dialogue options. This is what made New Vegas the better game imo.
Krystal Wilson

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:44 pm

I prefer Fallout 3 but i would be fine with Obsidian making their own game. even if it reuses assets from fallout 4 it will still be good. i always consider the Bethesda game to be the main one.

emma sweeney

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 am

I'd like to mention that I was one of the few people that at times felt underwhelmed exploring the DC wastes. The worst moment to me was discovering Girdershade. It told me I'd found a town, and since I was at the edge of the map I was excited. I wanted to let my PC rest and buy some stimpaks. Turns out, it was literally 2 buildings in the middle of nowhere, with no defenses. That place is a great example of Bethesda sometimes just doing random stuff for the sake of things being cool.

"Hey, let's make a tiny, defenceless town with two crazed Nuka Cola worshippers! That'll be great!"
Dona BlackHeart

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:02 pm

Of course it is speculation, i said it could be not that it was. (And i really hope it isnt true, so obsidian will get to do another fallout game)

The first posts avellone did after silence was about fallout which made me wonder if he had some sort of future at Bethesda.

Maybe he just truly was amazed at how good f4 seems to be but it is odd that he offically made those his first posts
Monique Cameron

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:48 am

Yeah, I also hope an actual Fallout comes after the spin-off.

:poke:

I agree with this part. The exploration and dungeon-crawling was for the most part more entertaining in F3 and clearly a focus of the game. Too bad it's not the quality I'm looking for in a Fallout game, nor is that the quality the series got famous for. F3 is a great TES game, but a mediocre Fallout game at best.

emma sweeney

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:25 am

I would like to see an Obsidian made Fallout game set in Seattle.

For several reasons really
-California was made boring by the NCR.
-Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah were either conquered by the Legion, who promptly destroyed everything that wasn't them, thus leaving nothing for a game to use, or sent agents, such as The White Legs, to destroy the things outside their territory, such as New Canaan, thus leaving nothing really left to see there.
-Idaho and Wyoming, some of the most empty states IRL, got written off as being empty post war also, and Montana isn't much more exciting either.

The Seattle, Portland, Vancouver area is really the last place on the west coast that hasn't been explored in lore in some way, and is the last place not made utterly dull by the stranglehold of "civilization". Its also just far enough away from the NCR to where we could hear about them, but not get them shoved down our throats yet again.

Though I hope they get anyone other then Sawyer to write it. Everything he wrote for NV was duller then dull, and HH was easily the weakest of the NV DLC's story wise, with Daniel being THE least interesting, and most annoying, character in the whole series.

Samantha Mitchell

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 am

Agreed, Seattle is the best location available to Obsidian imo. I wouldn't mind a "New Vegas 2" either, but only with a map that expands further west.

I'm not quite sure what to make of your statement on Sawyer's writing. I don't know what he wrote in the vanilla game, but I do know that he wasn't behind Dead Money or OWB, which I felt were the strongest FNV DLCs.

A game taking place in the NCR could work if the setting was done properly. The core theme of Fallout is that war never changes, so it isn't difficult to imagine some sort of internal/external strife that could seriously hurt the NCR. As long as they're creative, the NCR lands could be a great place to revisit. Seeing them in first person would be amazing as well.
Cayal

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:52 am

I don't know what he wrote in the vanilla either, but he's Joshua Graham, one of the most famous characters in the game.

Carys

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:34 am

So we are just assuming Bethesda makes are worse fallout compared to Obsidian?

Marquis deVille

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:42 am

Seatlle area sounds interesting.

I'm not sure about the Shi and Frisco. The lore and wiki content is FO2, we don't know what happened afterwards, so an NCR-Shi plot might be interesting. Something along the lines of "broker a deal or initiate a showdown".

Also, Montana: Has the great war even been noticed there? :P

Ells

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:28 pm

A lot of it. He was lead designer and project director of NV, meaning he either wrote, or at least green lit, most of NV's plot.

I just hated it, because it was beyond boring.

- I never understood why exactly I should care about going after Benny, especially since he didn't steal anything of value(at least that my character knew at the time), and given that he would be back as at base of power, and he already almost killed me once. Something even Sawyer admitted was a weak premise.

- I felt the entire "every faction wants YOU" thing was not really well written. The Courier being asked to be the savior of every faction, simply because he walked into House's tower, is like making an actor the lead on a dangerous space mission to blow up a asteroid heading towards earth, simply because he did so in a movie.

-When it came to the actual war itself, nothing that would actually help the war, such as taking Nelson back from the Legion, destroying Cottonwood Cove, getting the pieces needed to repair the Legion's Howitzer, etc. etc. was ever brought up or did anything at all. All it was was a series of pointless "go talk to this faction" quests, most of which had VERY weak justification(Khans, Omertas, White Gloves) as for they the Legion is helping them, or was based on utterly illogical and shoehroned "WE JUST KNOW!" excuses, like the Legion's/NCR's motivations for sending you to kill the BoS.

Basically none of the plot actually made sense at all.

Cody Banks

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:45 am

Bethesda made f3 years before nv(a long time in video games). And I still i cant decide which is better. That says alot.

And nv was built around the skeleton of f3, so it made a fantastic blueprint.
Bird

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:38 am

If obsidian does a game LA would be cool.

Or the midwest
JR Cash

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:41 am

John Gonzalez did most if the writing in New Vegas (as lead writer and creative lead).

Since it was mentioned.
Christine Pane

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:19 pm

I do hope they get to do another as i played through fallout 3 a few times. But to this day i still play fallout vegas now and then.

Fallout new vegas was just unreal and i was gob smacked by it even with them doing it in so little time.
Roy Harris

Post » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:05 am

like the complete emptyness of nv was really exciting , it was xomplete empty and devoid of anything to do atleast in FO 3 you fcould find places that had nothing to do with any of the questlines

point me out some of the places in NV that only could be found thru exploring

i stay with my opinion that whole obsidian did a great story and had the intelligent to add some of the best modsfor fo 3 into their version it was not better than FO 3,

they didn't made the game they just copied the engine with all bugs and glitches included

Alister Scott

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:20 pm

A game set in California would be awesome. Maybe the NCR splits into two factions and fights a civil war claiming the land and whats left of L.A.

Steven Hardman

Post » Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:49 pm

No, you're not the only one. I don't really do "bad guy" characters in any game, it just feels wrong to me.

On the main topic.... I kind of feel like Obsidian has their own projects going right now. Between that, and the Metacritic shenanigans in their NV contract, I can't see them doing another Fallout for Beth. :shrug:

Kara Payne

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion